Pale Tree Vision *Spoilers*

in Lore

Posted by: Sons.5493

Sons.5493

So, after you beat the Shadow of the Dragon, u get to see a vision from the pale tree.

What are your insights on the actual cutscene, besides of being really impresive, what can we deduce?

in Lore

Posted by: Slowpokeking.8720

Slowpokeking.8720

Kralkatorrik might have some connection with Mordemoth.

in Lore

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Glint’s Baby is the chosen one.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Lore

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

Pretty much this.

Also, the golden city with the pillars and towers far out in the Maguuma?

Abandoned. Mursaat. City. #YouHeardItHereFirst

I’m praying that the very theory with which I first appeared on Guild Wars Guru in 2009 will finally be proven correct… .

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

in Lore

Posted by: Kyrel.8942

Kyrel.8942

They kind of seemed like blood stones. Also seemed like structures rising from the ground with the pillars of light but very obscured by the clouds.

in Lore

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

I’ll need to watch it again to get the full picture but it seems like Mordy doesn’t like the pillars of light and we kinda have to get past his minions to get to it. Also Bloodstones and time wimey wibbly wobbly stuff.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Lore

Kyrel.8942

I don’t know, The Shadow of the Dragon seemed to like flying around the lights.

in Lore

Posted by: Sirlath.1672

Sirlath.1672

Pretty much this.

I’m praying that the very theory with which I first appeared on Guild Wars Guru in 2009 will finally be proven correct… .

Got a link to that theory?

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

The dragon in the vision looks more like Zhaitan, I think it was showing with Zhaitan’s downfall, the magic went unbalanced and went to Mord, the bloodstone was absorbing it.

in Lore

Posted by: Eluveitie.1290

Eluveitie.1290

The dragon in the vision is the Shadow of the Dragon we fight. Notice the leaves and branches on it. It’s not Zhaitan. And woulnd’t make sense anyway, for all intends and purposes he’s dead and/or defeated.

in Lore

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

I suspect the crystals represent Kralkatorrik’s corruption which would mean that the Maguuma Wastes’ desert-like state isn’t an accident but is infact another Crystal Desert….

One created by Kralkatorrik himself during the last time he was awake….

I theorize that the Crystal Desert/Sea was the result of Glint moving to a sea north of Elona and corrupting said sea.

Considering how Kralkatorrik moved from the Blood Legion Homelands to the Crystal Desert easily when he wanted to execute Glint for her treason it shouldn’t be surprising that he could move from the lake at the center of the Maguuma Wastes straight to the Blood Legion Homelands.

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

The dragon in the vision is the Shadow of the Dragon we fight. Notice the leaves and branches on it. It’s not Zhaitan. And woulnd’t make sense anyway, for all intends and purposes he’s dead and/or defeated.

Then were those bloodstones of Kralkatorrik’s crystal?

in Lore

Kyrel.8942

Just because it’s crystal like doesn’t mean it has to be Kralky.

in Lore

Mickey Frogeater.1470

It looked more similar to the Chaos Crystal Caverns than a Bloodstone….. The City above the cavern isn’t any I’ve seen in Ascalon either…. Must be the heart of the Maguuma Wastes…..

Kralkatorrik’s old territory is my theory of where this is…. Mursaat may be ruling this city…..

in Lore

Eluveitie.1290

The Crystal Desert was created because of Abaddon’s downfall, not Krakatorrik or Glint.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Crystal_Desert

Bloodstones do not come from dragons. They were made to prevent dragons from corrupting their magic.

in Lore

Mickey Frogeater.1470

The Crystal Desert was the Crystal Sea before Abaddon’s downfall…..

I’m merely stating that the Crystal Sea was created by Glint only to be turned into the Crystal Desert by Abaddon’s maelstrom evaporating the water.

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

The Crystal Desert was created because of Abaddon’s downfall, not Krakatorrik or Glint.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Crystal_Desert

Bloodstones do not come from dragons. They were made to prevent dragons from corrupting their magic.

I know, but it might be Kralkatorrik’s crystal rather than bloodstone as well.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

The Crystal Desert was the Crystal Sea before Abaddon’s downfall…..

I’m merely stating that the Crystal Sea was created by Glint only to be turned into the Crystal Desert by Abaddon’s maelstrom evaporating the water.

The Crystal Sea existed during the previous rise, as did a Crystal Desert (both apparently existed simultaneously before Abaddon’s fall). It was the sight of a battle with Kralkatorrik and he bled throughout the desert, and Glint spent the past 10,000 years collecting said blood. All from Edge of Destiny.

Either way, the " Crystal Sea" and “Crystal Desert” names should be purely human named, as I find it hard to believe humans would use terms from other races, unless it came from dwarves or Forgotten when they were hiding information about the Elder Dragons. Same should go for most geographical names actually.

The desert name came from how each grain of sand is said to actually be a tiny crystal.

Anyways, for The vision, my thoughts was perhaps that was the destination of the Master of Peace(and the Zdphyrites before their fall), a city made by Glint’s child, similar to Glint’s lair.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

I wonder if Mordremoth is going to use the Ley Line’s magic as a catalyst to not only grow more powerful, but create an unstable chain reaction that will wreck Tyria’s foundation. Leveling the playing field and getting rid of any opposition in one single stroke. I also have a feeling we are going to learn more about the past ancient confrontation with the Elder Dragons.

in Lore

Posted by: Tonic.9301

Tonic.9301

Personally I think the crystals resemble the mursaats’ jade constructs (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Jade_construct). Combined with the golden light and the towers I think the abandoned mursaat city idea holds some weight.

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

What should we call Glint’s baby? Baubles?

in Lore

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

Pretty much this.

Yeah but I thought their invisible city was in the Isles of Janthir. Then again it was claimed to move, wasn’kitten Interesting premise. The Mursaat did pull back with a lot of knowledge so it does beg to differ what significance the rising city might pose.

I’m at a loss. It’s a lot to take in so it’s a matter of processing it all for me that’s going to take some time. “Speculators gunna speculate.” I do think when it comes to the player remarking, “We gotta group up and stand.” During the conversation following Rox’s remark is more so directed at the fact root-like thorns are growing in mass and spreading out of control (as though Iron Marches wasn’t enough).

Obviously those must be laylines triggering. From what, I don’t know – maybe some underlying connection with the Bloodstone in the Meguuma where we may find the Master of Peace. Could he be evil? “Peace can only be achieved when all is destroyed, the cycle must continue.” (This isn’t a quote from the game by any means but rather a common concept shared through many stories). I’m still not sold on the idea that MoP is evil but he is still somewhere out there, he has something in his possession and he was moving deeper into the Meguumas to where we can only assume is in the direction of the Meguuma Bloodstone.

I wonder if Mordremoth is going to use the Ley Line’s magic as a catalyst to not only grow more powerful, but create an unstable chain reaction that will wreck Tyria’s foundation. Leveling the playing field and getting rid of any opposition in one single stroke. I also have a feeling we are going to learn more about the past ancient confrontation with the Elder Dragons.

And likely the very reason why the City rises up at all, the roots from bellow grow. We haven’t seen the last of that Shadow Dragon, who I might add, might be proof that the Dragon featured in the Wyld Hunt was more so the premonition of how important the Pale Tree was and why it had to be stopped – which would mean it was a misinterpretation that the characters attributed to Zhaitan.

(edited by Ronin.7381)

in Lore

Ronin.7381

Yeah. I think for the sake of the story Caithe made that interpretation only because the existence of Mordremoth wasn’t fully realized if at all known to anyone but the Pale Tree (even she doesn’t know the full extent of it, only that she feels its presence pushing back against the protections she puts on her children). And it can’t be argued that this was malleable lore since Mordremoth was eluded to at the start in launch.

I actually don’t think the Wyld Hunt the player witnesses is their own but a simple misinterpretation, where the Pale Tree’s life is at stake. The character and Caithe erroneously attribute the Shadow of The Dragon to be connected with Zhaitan. Very interesting none the less.

(edited by Ronin.7381)

in Lore

Posted by: hardy.7469

hardy.7469

I don’t know much about the lore in this game aside from the wiki, but what I saw was.

An autumn forest, where you zoom past it to a winter forest.
You then shoot up in the sky where golden beams of magic/energy shoot up from the ground into the sky.
The Modrem dragon we just fought it flying through this scene.
As these beams shoot up, mountain formations, or large buildings (it’s hard to tell, might even be molten rock formations for all I can tell) rise up from the ground.
In the center beam, a small glowing round object forms and it grabs the attention of the dragon, only for the dragon to be alarmed by the last beam shooting up from behind it and flies away.
This round object then descends down and ends up surrounded by Kralkatorrik’s crystal brand between two pillars which have a glowing pattern on them (may just be the crystal brand)
The object begins to pulsate and the crystals start to crack as Mordremoths thorn vines begin to crash through them and go for the the object.
You then see the object being completely surrounded by Mordremoths vines.

The two scenes involving this glowing object are viewed through what seems like some sort of multi-angled cyrstal/diamons/glass, which shatters when Modremoths vines come in after shattering Kralks crystals.
This view has a yellow/red tint to it, but that may have just been the colours of the vision being reflected/refracted as you see a bit of rainbow colours as well.

That’s what I saw anyways. :P

I should also point out that the personal story summary states that the vision showed a “golden land” and a “mysterious artifact”.

Very lazily looking up “golden land” with Guild Wars in Google, I can only find references to Elona and the “Land of the Golden Sun”, but that might be a bit of a stretch.
Though if those things that raise out of the ground are buildings, maybe someone can get a good look at the architecture and see if it’s similar to anything already existing in the Guild Wars lore.

(edited by hardy.7469)

in Lore

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

The dragon from the cutscene looks similar, but different. It has proper wings for example, the Shadow of the Dragon just has branches.

And The Shadow of the Dragon is dead. Killed right at the start of the game. So it can’t be the same dragon, regardless if you think it’s one of Mordremoth’s or not.

(edited by Wanderer.3248)

in Lore

Eluveitie.1290

The dragon from the cutscene looks similar, but different. It has proper wings for example, the Shadow of the Dragon just has branches.

And The Shadow of the Dragon is dead. Killed right at the start of the game. So it can’t be the same dragon, regardless if you think it’s one of Mordremoth’s or not.

I know that. Pretty sure the one we just fought is named the same and is still alive since I saw him flappin’ away with both my eyes.

in Lore

Mickey Frogeater.1470

The Shadow of the Dragon was seen in the Dream and was merely an avatar of the real one……

It would seem the Dragon Champion is our Personal Nemesis which ArenaNet spoke of….

The Pale Tree says she’s fading so if she dies than the Shadow of the Dragon has made it personal for the Sylvari characters…..

In all likelyhood he will attack other close friends…..

Either Faren, Jenna or Anise for the Humans…..

Someone important for Norn…..

Another someone important for Asura…..

And Rytlock Brimstone for Charr…..

Our archnemesis and it’s one who’s Dream avatar was slain by our Sylvari characters….

in Lore

Wanderer.3248

An avatar of The Shadow? So like a Shadow of a Shadow of a Dragon? Sounds pretty silly to me.

More likely there is more than one, like the Claw of Jormag.

in Lore

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Either way it was the Sylvari players’ Wyld Hunt and as such was their Archnemesis from the beginning!

in Lore

Wanderer.3248

Either way it was the Sylvari players’ Wyld Hunt and as such was their Archnemesis from the beginning!

<cough>retcon</cough>

in Lore

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Retcon that made the Shadow of the Dragon our Archnemesis!

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Having seen the vision in full, things to note:

With the pillars of shining light, there are two other things to note:

• Golden structures “rising” from below; these are different from the crystals as they are smooth and far more square-like. Reminded me of the Hall of Heroes and Hall of Ascension (Augury Rock’s center).
  • A clearish goldenish oval, very akin to Glint’s eggs.

Then as it panned down, it showed golden crystals before they shattered as Mordremoth’s vines encroached them.

Mursaat structures were said to be marble with golden filigree by Saul D’Alessio, and those we saw in the Ring of Fire were a reddish/purple, like the Bloodstone.

The only golden crystals we know of… are the Zenith weapons – which also have pillars of light involved with them. Which are tied to the Zephyrites, presumably.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

I’m not the author of this video but I’m sharing it here hoping he or she won’t mind.

Credit goes to Azraeil Amon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDfK83-8-OA

Leman

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Pretty much this.

That is an interesting possibility. It seems to be fairly clearly not where we once thought it was, but the White Mantle and any of their surviving mursaat masters are going to have a base out there somewhere - and it’s logical that it might have something that Mordremoth would consider worth attacking.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: Cyan.6904

Cyan.6904

I was utterly confused by the vision when I saw it, although I also happened to think that I saw some Zenith crystals. It would be amazing if the Mursaat were somehow involved.

Cyan Graceland — Elementalist
The Knights Temple [TKT] — Aurora Glade

in Lore

Posted by: Fuiltech.6438

Fuiltech.6438

I just re-watched the Pale Tree vision, so I figured I would throw my tinfoil hat into the ring. The first five seconds or so appears to me to be the Pale Tree her self on fire, there is also a faint sound of crackling. To me this would hint at the front lines being around the Grove, bringing the first true and real danger to our Planty friends.

As for the those Golden Pillars of light it does not seem to be hints at a city out there in the Wastes (as awesome as that would be) nor does Mordy seem to be afraid of it. Those Pillars of light seem to be erupting from alters or stones below, which if memory serves the Bloodstones look similar to those “alter-like” structures the pillars are coming from. It looks like Mordremoth is releasing the latent magic within them.

Those “buildings” in the background look a lot like the cliff-sides we find in dry top. I really wish I could buy into the Mursaat home city but this vision does not appear to show anything related to them, sadly.

Here is a link to the [HD] video of the Pale Tree Vision that I was looking at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmo2wlRMs_0

Telos Novum – Human Engineer
Discovering one’s purpose is not as easy as it might originally appear.

in Lore

Posted by: hardy.7469

hardy.7469

Also, one can assume that the vision is traveling.
Starting at the Pale Tree, through forest, then winter forest, then up in the air and down to some crystally area.
My guess is that if it is traveling, it may be traveling East to the Crystal Desert.

Maybe Kralk landed there for a reason.

in Lore

Posted by: Avariz.8241

Avariz.8241

Before that pale tree vision, I recalled she struggled to get her word out that ‘there is more than one’. I had assumed she meant another powerful dragon boss right after Shadow of the Dragon. Then in the 1st section of the pale tree vision there is the unknown grove. There are 4 sections to her vision the grove, rising towers and columns of light up to a cloudy sky, a vast underground caverns of large crystals, and finally growing barbed vines smothering the underground caverns.

Could the Pale Tree trying to point to the grove part of her vision when she said ‘there is another one’. By that could she meant another like herself or did she meant another powerful dragon boss? If she was trying to say there is another like herself and this information is important enough to her with her final word, does this mean she already know that she will die and this possible other tree could be a substitute mother tree for all surviving sylvari.

(edited by Avariz.8241)

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Pretty much this.

Don’t be so cruel as to get my hopes up…

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

As a completely fanciful theory, wouldn’t it be interesting if Mordremoth could pull creatures from Nightmare and put them into reality?

in Lore

Posted by: Lelouch Vi Brittania.6425

Lelouch Vi Brittania.6425

Wow guys seriously, don’t you guys realize any hint that Sephrites are “hiding” something?

Like it’s been said so many times by the Priory at the new area of Dry Top?

Sephrites could easily gets their hands on Glints egg and it’s scattered all over Meguuma Jungle with their clash.

So it has to be somewhere in the Jungle, the purple crystals just to represent it’s Glint’s eggs.

in Lore

Posted by: Fuiltech.6438

Fuiltech.6438

They could be hiding anything. The purple Crystals do not necessitate that it is Glint’s eggs.

Telos Novum – Human Engineer
Discovering one’s purpose is not as easy as it might originally appear.

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

The purple crystals were absorbing the energy then exploded. That’s showing something.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Those crystals don’t look purple to me. They looked golden.

Glint’s crystals were blue anyways, it is just Kralkatorrik’s whose are purple. Glint’s child may have golden crystals I bet.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

The columns of light rise up through the clouds, then buildings or cliffs/structures rise up. They’re rectangular and have enough detail for me to see them as buildings.

Then we see a golden orb, right in the middle of the screen. This orb descends and the camera descends with it, into an oval crystalline receptacle, after which the crystals shatter which were growing. In the crystal scene, there are two crystalline columns on either side of this central receptacle.

What is the orb?

The obstacle is the path.

in Lore

Eluveitie.1290

Those crystals don’t look purple to me. They looked golden.

Glint’s crystals were blue anyways, it is just Kralkatorrik’s whose are purple. Glint’s child may have golden crystals I bet.

The crystals are purple, there’s one blue-ish near to the center, too. Once they break though, they seem to be bright golden on the inside.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I looked again, and they’re red with a dark purple (not the bright purple of Kralkatorrik) tips and golden shines inside.

The Bloodstones were red with dark reddish-purple tips. As were Mursaat structures.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

I’m not going to get my hopes up on anything Mursaat related, lest they get crushed, but the Bloodstone would be a safe bet since it’s nearby. It’s been awhile, but I don’t remember that Bloodstone having so many crystalline offshoots though. It was a bit jagged, but in the cinematic it was positively prickly. Maybe Glint and/or the Zephyrites have been redecorating it over the years? Time will only tell I guess.

in Lore

Ronin.7381

An avatar of The Shadow? So like a Shadow of a Shadow of a Dragon? Sounds pretty silly to me.

More likely there is more than one, like the Claw of Jormag.

And the shadow of the day…
Will embrace the world in gray.

Gah, that song came to mind reading that. Bad feel.

I’m not going to get my hopes up on anything Mursaat related, lest they get crushed, but the Bloodstone would be a safe bet since it’s nearby. It’s been awhile, but I don’t remember that Bloodstone having so many crystalline offshoots though. It was a bit jagged, but in the cinematic it was positively prickly. Maybe Glint and/or the Zephyrites have been redecorating it over the years? Time will only tell I guess.

I wonder if that’s where the giant beam erupts from though. The Bloodstone. Causing some kind of chain reaction through the Ley Lines. Cue: “Ley Lines.”

in Lore

Eluveitie.1290

I looked again, and they’re red with a dark purple (not the bright purple of Kralkatorrik) tips and golden shines inside.

The Bloodstones were red with dark reddish-purple tips. As were Mursaat structures.

Yeah, I was in no way relating them to Krakatorrik. I’m more inclined to belive it’s Bloodstone/Mursaat/Glint/Zephyrites related. If they were heading on that direction, it’s likely they had some kind of refuge on ground.