Pale Tree Vision *Spoilers*

in Lore

Posted by: Xaton.1902

Xaton.1902

well I think scarlet may not b back or both but it may be more of her before she went mad

in Lore

Posted by: Rukh.9287

Rukh.9287

Here is my wild, wild theory.

It is based on two quotes, one from GW2 and one from GW1.

In guild wars 1, there is a chain from Eye of the North. Remember that Eye of the North was the last expansion for GW1. If any lore in GW2 is based in GW1 it is likely from Eye of the North.

There is a very peculiar and important Asura studying the Eternal Alchemy. He has you go collect 6 cyphers from 6 facets. One facet for each human god.(Sound familiar? Eternal Alchemy from Omadd’s machine’s vision?)

Once you do, you get a cypher that leads you to a location where you fight the facets as dragons and once you defeat them, you get a mysterious ghostly figure who tells you:

“An offering to those who seek”
“Beyond the mists beyond the dreams”
“On distant shores of a land unwaking”
“Answers there lie in waiting”

Now on to GW2. In GW2, there’s a weird out of place dude named Malyck. We gather he has no recollection of The Dream and is not spawned from the Pale Tree. During one quest, we talk to a seer who is more in touch with the dream than any other living being save perhaps the pale tree and maybe the firstborn.

“A distant shore—and darkness. A root, a cave…you. You are the seed. What Ronan knew and never told still lingers in the Dream.”

Ok, what do we see from both of these? Distant shores. But what distant shores? The GW1 quote says distant shores of a land unwaking. Perhaps from the sylvari’s dream?

We know that The Dream came before the Sylvari. From the GW2 quote, describing a distant shore, a cave, and a seed, mention of Ronan, it sounds like the dream remembers from before the Pale Tree was planted too.

Based on the GW1 quote, here’s my interpretation of the Pale Tree’s vision. We’re actually seeing inside the dream. We see the forest with the sylvan face, perhaps this forest is a gateway, the gateway to a far-off land, “beyond the dreams”.

Mordremoth wants to get to this place. Its sure to be full of magic.

But what is the place?

I really don’t have anything to go on. A wild hunch, it could be where the Mursaat were able to escape to. Maybe they are still alive there. Maybe this land is the source of Tyrian magic, and the first eternal alchemy vision we had really was of Mordremoth reaching the core of the eternal alchemy and not of Zhaitan’s magic returning to Tyria. Maybe the reason in the Sylvari intro, Mordremoth has projected his minion into the dream, and perhaps the source of the corruption is that Mordremoth is trying to breach the dream to get to this place.

One other wild speculation with very little evidence. The Pale Tree was most likely taken by Ronan from a place in the physical world of Tyria. If Ronan was there, and it was a place The Dream remembered, the reference to the far shore and the cave in the GW2 was likely where Ronan found the Pale Tree.

We know that the Mursaat city that Saul D’alesso found was on The Isle of Janthir, it would certainly count as a distant shore. If Ronan was battling the White Mantle, perhaps he visited that shore. Perhaps he took a Mursaat creation, a guardian of their world, the Pale Tree, when he was there.

Neither quote actually links to the Mursaat though, its just we know they were skilled at escaping the world in to their own place, we know that they were behind the White Mantle that Ronan was fighting. And we know that they had a city across Janthir Bay, but nothing has actually given evidence of their involvement at all.

You know, in GW1, when we get the quote, we’ve just collected cyphers from the different aspects of the gods, maybe the city beyond dreams is the hiding place of the gods? Or maybe their original homeland, or the homeland of the humans.

And who is the mysterious phantom? Maybe the avatar of another guardian of the dream?

(edited by Rukh.9287)

in Lore

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

I enjoyed reading your post, Rukh, but there’s absolutely nothing to suggest (aside from its name) that Saul found a Mursaat city on the Isles of Janthir.

All we really know about the Isles of Janthir are that it’s allegedly where the Eye of Janthir came from, and that (again, allegedly) people with the Gift of True Sight live there.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

in Lore

Rukh.9287

Huh. Well nevermind on the isle then. For some reason I was sure that’s where he had gone, but I guess not. His story says he went through a forest and found the city with the mursaat. It kind of makes the mursaat seem even more likely involved with the Pale Tree’s vision.

in Lore

Rukh.9287

Here’s a crazy idea though – what if it is the city of the gods, where they lead humans from in to Tyria that exists beyond the mists, beyond dreams.

Maybe when Rytlock got sucked in to the mists by Sohothin, the sword which was owned by the royalty of humans and existed from a time when the gods were with the humans, went back to the human homelands, and if we go to the city, Rytlock will be bashing dragon heads there. : P

in Lore

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Kralkatorrik might have some connection with Mordemoth.

Ya, that’s my first thought too. I do hope they do have something related. Would be so epic.

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

in Lore

Posted by: Stephen.6312

Stephen.6312

Having seen the vision in full, things to note:

With the pillars of shining light, there are two other things to note:

• Golden structures “rising” from below; these are different from the crystals as they are smooth and far more square-like. Reminded me of the Hall of Heroes and Hall of Ascension (Augury Rock’s center).
  • A clearish goldenish oval, very akin to Glint’s eggs.

Then as it panned down, it showed golden crystals before they shattered as Mordremoth’s vines encroached them.

Mursaat structures were said to be marble with golden filigree by Saul D’Alessio, and those we saw in the Ring of Fire were a reddish/purple, like the Bloodstone.

The only golden crystals we know of… are the Zenith weapons – which also have pillars of light involved with them. Which are tied to the Zephyrites, presumably.

I think that Konig’s suggestion that we may be viewing the Hall of Heroes and/or Hall of Ascension is the strongest thus far. As to the artifact, however, I’m not sold on Glint’s eggs. In my opinion, we are probably looking at a/the vision crystal and/or the Ventari Tablet. However, I favor the vision crystal idea more than that of the tablet.

However, I now find myself asking: Why is the Pale Tree capable of these visions, whilst other prominent spiritual leaders of Tyria are not? Although we may not take it seriously. I think that the tablet has more to play in this story than we currently realize.

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

A mystic Carpet in the Gems-Store comming… it has to be Elona and Kalkatorik in some way, i am just saying (or kidding)

in Lore

Christos de Soufre.3802

MURSAAAAAT.

Sorry. I redid the LS with my brother, saw the ending cinematic again, and got excited.

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

All hyping Mursaat for some reason.
Sure their followers are in the area (white mantle), i guess, but as they are somehow absent aside from an event in Brisband and one PS Story I do not really see the conection so far.
An designer even said somwehere that they want to design them well (white mantle in that case), so they feel unique enough and live up to their legacy.
If we get any Mursaat, then it would be through them in my opinion.

However, the Mursaat conection, except of it being their area, is being made through the golden chrystals and maybe the supposed cities that apear (which actually looked more like rock formations out of death valley in my opinion).
Someone pinned that to a loose description of their cities.

I personaly do not really see that. It is too loose and too vague to be true, simply because the writing was usually very straight forward and easy to follow.
Using these things is an great excercise, but nothing more.

The simplest explanation that comes to mind for me is:
- Master of peace has new egg, or something from Glint
- he puts it somewhere to take it to safety (unlikely, since it is enemy teritory), or to use
- We see the energy drop down somehow, landing in a crystal cave. This could be a nest, or created through the item the master of peace was carrying.
- In my opinion it jumpstarts the process and we might see the birth of a new crystal-dragon, which inherted glints will… maybe even taking over the pale trees role.

I somehow do not see it going too complex honestly.

in Lore

Christos de Soufre.3802

I took it more from the (what I feel is obviously) dark jade shown near the end of the cinematic. The “high golden towers” were just a bonus to me considering Saul D’Allesio’s description of the Mursaat city. Plus the general location, of course.

That said, my second guess is Glint-related, much as anyone else.

in Lore

Posted by: Stephen.6312

Stephen.6312

I wonder whether the city of the mursaat is related to (or even a part of) the Hall of Heroes. I’m very excited and I didn’t even play GW1!