Pale tree on an Elder Dragon Gravesite?

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

What would happen if a Pale Tree seed was planted on an Elder Dragon grave site? Would it have enhanced powers that other pale trees don’t have? Would other creatures in the area share those enhanced powers? Would the magic from the elder dragon allow them to resist other elder dragons?

in Lore

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

I thought the tree inherently spawned beings that resist the dragon’s influence as it is. The Sylvari are (to my knowledge) incorruptible. At least as far as dragons are concerned. The latest events with plant based dragons have people wondering about the extent of their incorruptibility, but as far as I know, no Sylvari has been shown to be working for the dragon in any direct way. Although, I’m sure the nightmare court would probably get involved simply to spread chaos or whatever it is they do. But not because of dragon mind control.
This also makes me wonder about the nature of the tree. The tree sprouted at a pretty opportune time to be in conflict with the elder dragons. Was this purposeful? If not, why is this the first Pale Tree anyone alive today has heard of? And if so, was it purposefully grown to combat the dragons in some way?
As for what the tree spawned, I don’t know. I guess they’d be dragon looking things.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

in Lore

Posted by: Rhaegar.1203

Rhaegar.1203

I think Scarlet and Aerin proved Sylvari are NOT incorruptible.

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

I guess we have to ask if there is any difference between physical corruption and mental corruption/influence, because Scarlet was working for Mordremoth, but she seemed to be arguing with him on who can claim credit. That isn’t something a minion does with its Elder Dragon.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

I guess we have to ask if there is any difference between physical corruption and mental corruption/influence, because Scarlet was working for Mordremoth, but she seemed to be arguing with him on who can claim credit. That isn’t something a minion does with its Elder Dragon.

Even then, because ANet STILL hasn’t resolved her arc, I don’t think we can say with full certainty that Mordremoth was who she was hearing. All evidence points that way overwhelmingly, but they’ve left themselves enough room to take that conclusion in a completely different direction if they wanted to.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Rhaegar.1203

Rhaegar.1203

Correct. Even thought it would appear Mordremoth influenced her in waking it up earlier than expected, the cinematic of its awakening also seemed to imply it was actually unexpected to it, meaning someone or something else could have motivated Ceara.

Then there’s the fact that yes, no physical changes are shown by either of them, so it was more like a corruption of the mind, rather than the body.

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Even then, because ANet STILL hasn’t resolved her arc, I don’t think we can say with full certainty that Mordremoth was who she was hearing. All evidence points that way overwhelmingly, but they’ve left themselves enough room to take that conclusion in a completely different direction if they wanted to.

Don’t get my Lazurus=The Entity hopes up again. My heart can’t take another disappointment.

in Lore

Posted by: ErickDntn.1847

ErickDntn.1847

http://imgur.com/a/MBtyV

Someone uploaded that conversation which mentions Mordremoth’s corruption on Ceara, apparently will only show up if you are Sylvari.

At least that is what the Pale Tree thinks.

(edited by ErickDntn.1847)

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

What would happen if a Pale Tree seed was planted on an Elder Dragon grave site? Would it have enhanced powers that other pale trees don’t have? Would other creatures in the area share those enhanced powers? Would the magic from the elder dragon allow them to resist other elder dragons?

Well… do Pale Trees absorb magic? They probably have to I guess, the rules of magic is fairly straight forward in Tyria. Magic cannot be created or destroyed but can be moved. Like thermodynamic I guess. So since the Pale Tree is rather magical either magic was infused during seed phase or absorbed while the tree grew. Working off of the assumption that a Pale Tree absorbs magic then while the ED is sleeping (or in this case is dead) magic would leak out and the tree would absorb it, thus likely have enhanced power. So if the Pale Tree can absorb magic (I don’t think we have any evidence of this?) then the hypothesis seems highly likely.
In the case of a sleeping ED when it wakes up… well I don’t imagine a Pale Tree would survive very long, not simply because the ED would eat it but because when EDs awaken they tend to do so cataclysmic-ally.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Someone uploaded that conversation which mentions Mordremoth’s corruption on Ceara, apparently will only show up if you are Sylvari.

Even there, though, the Pale Tree qualifies that it’s what she believes. She does not state it as objective fact.

Like I said, all evidence points to it, but I don’t think ANet is done holding it over our heads just yet and I’m hesitant to commit to the interpretation until we’ve seen this plot through.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

I think the Scarlet Mordremoth relationship is inherently vague and hard to interpret. Yes, she did seem to influenced by SOMETHING to wake up the dragon early. But was she doing it for the dragon’s benefit? Whatever was talking to her may have convinced her that she was being helpful. Or maybe she was just doing the typical nightmare court thing of “screw it, this should be funny” but to an extreme. Either way, it wasn’t the dragon that had corrupted her. It’s possible that her “corruption” is no different than when certain humans just go a little insane. Maybe Schizophrenia. Or brought by something completely not dragon related. (Since this is a video game, and she had such a world altering role, I really doubt they’d go with the simple mental disorder route, but it’s just an example).

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

in Lore

Posted by: ErickDntn.1847

ErickDntn.1847

Even there, though, the Pale Tree qualifies that it’s what she believes. She does not state it as objective fact.

Like I said, all evidence points to it, but I don’t think ANet is done holding it over our heads just yet and I’m hesitant to commit to the interpretation until we’ve seen this plot through.

Yes, that is what she believes, what she thinks, she only knows and is sure that Ceara refused her protection, whatever that means. I only think that her opinion is worth to be mentioned along. But of course it is too soon to claim anything since what nightmare she actually had.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I thought the tree inherently spawned beings that resist the dragon’s influence as it is. The Sylvari are (to my knowledge) incorruptible. At least as far as dragons are concerned. The latest events with plant based dragons have people wondering about the extent of their incorruptibility, but as far as I know, no Sylvari has been shown to be working for the dragon in any direct way.

It’s already been explicitly stated that the Pale Tree was what prevented sylvari corruption – how the Pale Tree prevented it is the question.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

I suspect that the Elder Dragons are big magic converters. The magic released by an Elder Dragon may not be the same type as the magic collected, and it may be different once again once they are dead.