PoF predictions...

PoF predictions...

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

My prediction is that Balthazar’s actions will upset the flame legion and the next expansion will focus on the char.

Well, no reason for an XPack to not focus on the charr, but as things currently stand the Gold Legion* itself doesn’t seem to be a big enough threat to Tyria to be the reason why an Xpack would focus on the charr. Something would really have to have changed in recent years with them.

*the name gold legion comes from the document “Ecology of the Charr”, a name used for the Flame Legion as an insult, as gold is a very soft metal. The hasn’t been seen in game sadly, but I always liked this insult.

There are a number of possible reasons the flame legion could get riled up enough.

Balthazar’s presence on Tyria could increase Charr belief in gods. Sure it’s one thing to say gods aren’t gods when they’re away. But when one is walking around the planet destroying stuff, it’s gets easier to believe.

Rytlock could become Balthazar’s replacement. Yes, they’re human gods but it doesn’t mean their magic and powers can’t be absorbed by a Charr. The flame legion could consider this to be blasphemous and go on the offensive.

One possibility that isn’t trigger by the flame legion is that the charr are angered by the destruction of the human god and decide that tyria may be better off without humans.

PoF predictions...

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I’m rather hoping that the Flame Legion don’t become involved. Firstly, because after Primordus’ short run and Balthazar’s expansion, we’ll probably be tired of fire foes like we tired of undead after Zhaitan or sylvari with Mordremoth. But more importantly, the story so far.

With Citadel of Flames (both story and explorable), the Flame Legion was plunged into civil war and the greatest contender to replace (or revive) Gaheron were eliminated. This is part of why the Molten Alliance became a thing – a portion of that civil war splintered off to gain power. After all the hits they took, I’d imagine that (like the dredge and their civil war and splintering) their evil factions are low in numbers and power.

Instead, I think Season 4 will either deal around Elona, or if we do go back north (which I’m more hopeful for) it’ll be focused around the peace treaty – and the Renegades and Separatists. That plot has been around for a while, and would be a good way to transition from human plot to charr plot (just as the Maguuma depths was used to bring us to the White Mantle and human plots again).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

PoF predictions...

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

If we do get story relating to the charr, I can see the Separatists or the Flame Legion serving as a launching-off points (and I would welcome an update on just where the Flame Legion stands now- they’re the only hostile faction that has lost not just their leader, but arguably their driving ideology), but I doubt they’d keep the focus for anything longer than a single episode. With the commitment to a new map with each episode, they’d quickly expand beyond those two groups’ reach. The Blood Legion makes for a much more enticing antagonist, with or without a connection to the existing Renegades… and really, it’s past time Bangar started kicking up a public fuss.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

PoF predictions...

in Lore

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

(and I would welcome an update on just where the Flame Legion stands now- they’re the only hostile faction that has lost not just their leader, but arguably their driving ideology),

Wouldn’t this also apply to the White Mantle (and their Bandit Proxies)? Every major leader is dead, and now so is the last Mursaat. What have they got left?

Hate is Fuel.

PoF predictions...

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

(and I would welcome an update on just where the Flame Legion stands now- they’re the only hostile faction that has lost not just their leader, but arguably their driving ideology),

Wouldn’t this also apply to the White Mantle (and their Bandit Proxies)? Every major leader is dead, and now so is the last Mursaat. What have they got left?

I think it’s a bit different. We’ve been told flat-out that the Mantle has been effectively killed off, with just the odd pocketlingering here or there, whereas the Flame Legion was left leaderless and godless but still a substantial force. The bulk of the bandits were never ideologically Mantle, and so in theory life should continue as normal for them, just without the top-level organization and support they used to enjoy. There’s also a question of time- the Mantle lost their leader less than a year ago, while the Flame Legion has been sitting for five.

But most importantly, we’ve had that follow-up for the Mantle. The instance last episode, plus the journals, and the achievement text indicating we’re to take this to be a representative sample, show an organization that’s fast disintegrating. We never got that look for the Flame Legion. CoF explorable left them as a still-substantial force tottering on the edge of recovery, if only they could find a leader to unite them. Smodur’s comments in S2 claim that they’ve pulled back enough to constitute a serious risk of invasion again, and it’s been another two years since then. Who leads them now, and how great a threat is he really? How has this religiously oriented society coped with the loss of yet another god? Have the events of the LW opened them to the idea of foreign aide, or are they still the same insular xenophobes? Those are questions we’ve had answered for the Mantle, but Flame is still out in the cold.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

(edited by Aaron Ansari.1604)

PoF predictions...

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Instead, I think Season 4 will either deal around Elona, or if we do go back north (which I’m more hopeful for) it’ll be focused around the peace treaty – and the Renegades and Separatists. That plot has been around for a while, and would be a good way to transition from human plot to charr plot (just as the Maguuma depths was used to bring us to the White Mantle and human plots again).

My suspicion is that the end of the initial story of the expansion will see Palawa’s control over Elona weakened sufficiently that a rebellion could remove him from power, and then the start of LS4 will happen in the backdrop of that rebellion. Maybe we’ll be taking part, maybe it’ll be a backdrop of what we’re doing and we’ll only get involved sporadically when our actions and those of the rebellion overlap, or maybe the rebellion will even be a complication for us, but I think it will happen.

At some stage, though, I expect we’ll get pulled north again. Maybe into the lands north of Vabbi, maybe up into the EOTN regions. It does seem as if Braham and Rox have been put on a bus for PoF, but we’re going to have to clean up that mess eventually – question is whether we have to do so right away, before the rebellion fully gets underway, and then we return to Elona for a bit and go from there, or whether we wrap the rebellion up and then go north.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

PoF predictions...

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Well from the earliest leaks that we had gotten about PoF around Episode 2’s release, they said Lazarus was Balthazar, the expansion would deal with Primordus and Kralkatorrik in the Crystal Desert, and that Season 4 would be focusing on Joko in Elona, however given PoF maps also take place in both Crystal Desert and Elona, and no Primordus, I think its possible that leaker mistook second half of PoF for S4, perhaps (and Balthazar for Primordus in the expansion).

Either way, what felt like an idiotic leak came partially true so who knows. Seems a lot of plot directions I’d consider silly or bad are being taken.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

PoF predictions...

in Lore

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Eventually we must deal with Braham, the Blood Legion and the Flame Legion. They are the only known threats outside of Scarlet Briar’s 3 factions we haven’t decisively dealt with(as ArenaNet has already stated we don’t know who the leader of Molten Alliance is nor the Toxic Alliance).

Hopefully we see both Flame Legion, Blood Legion and Molten Alliance(all 3 led by Charr) in the Blood Legion Homelands.

PoF predictions...

in Lore

The Greyhawk.9107

Eventually we must deal with Braham, the Blood Legion and the Flame Legion. They are the only known threats outside of Scarlet Briar’s 3 factions we haven’t decisively dealt with(as ArenaNet has already stated we don’t know who the leader of Molten Alliance is nor the Toxic Alliance).

Hopefully we see both Flame Legion, Blood Legion and Molten Alliance(all 3 led by Charr) in the Blood Legion Homelands.

The leader of both alliances was Scarlet and neither has been shown to still be in existence since her death. As for the Blood Legion…they aren’t an enemy faction, Rytlock is Blood and so can a player’s charr if they so choose. Bangar Ruinbringer is implied as being strongly anti-human but to date the old kitten hasn’t done anything about the Kryta-Iron Legion treaty, for or against.

Hate is Fuel.

PoF predictions...

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

We actually had dev confirmation that all three alliances survived (Molten Alliance, Toxic Alliance, and Aetherblades). We never dealt with their leaders after all. But they didn’t want to bring them back “right away” because reasons.

Sadly, HoT was the perfect time to bring back the Toxic Alliance, given Tower of Nightmares has some obvious hindsight ties to Mordrem/Mordremoth.

Dear ANet writers,

PoF predictions...

in Lore

The Greyhawk.9107

My second point still stands.

Hate is Fuel.

PoF predictions...

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

About Blood Legion “not being an enemy faction”?

So were sylvari.

So were priests of Balthazar and the Zaishen.

We’ve had lore for far longer hinting that Imperator Bangar could prove harmful to the charr-human peace negotiations; that he’s actually opposed to it but goes along because Ash and Iron do and he doesn’t want to fight both legions on top of other charr issues.

With two or three of those issues – Flame Legion, Foefire ghosts, and Branded – being heavily weakened if not removed by the actions of Season 1, Season 2, and PoF respectively – I could see Bangar deciding to play up his wildcard lore and become a threat.

Some folks – like myself – even theorize that Bangar is secretly behind the Renegades, as we do have lore indicating that most Renegades come from Blood Legion (as did Ajax who led the Renegades for a short time).

Dear ANet writers,

PoF predictions...

in Lore

The Greyhawk.9107

About Blood Legion “not being an enemy faction”?

So were sylvari.

So were priests of Balthazar and the Zaishen.

We’ve had lore for far longer hinting that Imperator Bangar could prove harmful to the charr-human peace negotiations; that he’s actually opposed to it but goes along because Ash and Iron do and he doesn’t want to fight both legions on top of other charr issues.

With two or three of those issues – Flame Legion, Foefire ghosts, and Branded – being heavily weakened if not removed by the actions of Season 1, Season 2, and PoF respectively – I could see Bangar deciding to play up his wildcard lore and become a threat.

Some folks – like myself – even theorize that Bangar is secretly behind the Renegades, as we do have lore indicating that most Renegades come from Blood Legion (as did Ajax who led the Renegades for a short time).

False equivalence. Regardless of their origins, there are good and bad sylvari, just like their are good and bad humans, or norn, etc. The entire race, or even a majority, didn’t go bad mostly just those in close proximity to Mordy. We’re talking about a group, not a race. As for the Zaishen and other worshipers of Balthazar, they were never a player faction, especially in GW2. Doesn’t really matter what they do, there was barely any evidence to show they still existed in the first place.
Blood Legions is a player faction, PCs can be Blood. We’re talking about an entire third of the legitimate High Legions and probably more than a quarter of the Charr populace becoming enemies. We’re talking about the Charr, if their Imperator did order them to basically turn on everyone, it’d only be outliers that’d disobey. It’d be a different matter if Banger did cause political issues within the balance the High Legions have, but for the whole Legion to become the enemy…its not really all the plausible.

Hate is Fuel.

PoF predictions...

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

False equivalence. Regardless of their origins, there are good and bad sylvari, just like their are good and bad humans, or norn, etc. The entire race, or even a majority, didn’t go bad mostly just those in close proximity to Mordy.

We never really got a percentage on the number of sylvari who turned to Mordrem Guards, but given the number of Mordrem Guards it is likely very high.

Either way, “just like there are good and bad humans, or Blood Legion soldiers, or Ash Legion soldiers”.

It’s not really a false equivalence. Given we know there are “bad Blood Legion soldiers” because some have already defected, just as we know there are good Blood Legion soldiers because some are grateful for the peace talks.

If Bangar decides to denounce the treaty, which was hinted he wants to do in the very first piece of GW2 lore, many soldiers will follow suit because if you talk to a number of charr in the Black Citadel as a human, or throughout Fields of Ruin as any race, you’ll see that a large number of dialogues in those areas talk about tolerating (for lack of a better word) the peace talks because their superiors told them to.

If their superiors told them to ignore the talks, then they’ll ignore the talks, either gladly or grudgingly. Because they already do this.

We’re talking about a group, not a race. […] We’re talking about an entire third of the legitimate High Legions and probably more than a quarter of the Charr populace becoming enemies. […] We’re talking about the Charr, if their Imperator did order them to basically turn on everyone, it’d only be outliers that’d disobey. It’d be a different matter if Banger did cause political issues within the balance the High Legions have, but for the whole Legion to become the enemy…its not really all the plausible.

We’re talking about a very large group – hundreds of thousands. Blood Legion is said to be the largest of the three legions, so that’s over a third of the allied race. It also has territory that is nearly three times that of Iron’s territory (Ascalon), as Blood territory reaches north of Ascalon and east of the Blazeridge.

And no, we’re not talking about all Blood Legion turning into enemies. No one has said the whole Blood Legion. Not a single person. We’re talking about a civil war within the Blood Legion, between those who serve “the greater good” and those who fall back to old racial customs or follow their superiors. In this hypothetical civil war, it would be Iron + Ash + some of Blood versus most of Blood + Renegades. The Blood Legion would be effectively split between those who are racial supremacists but followed orders (of which there are many), and those believe that peace with humans is the right path.

Hypothetically we could even see more defectors from Ash and Iron if they see an Imperator denouncing the peace talks.

And the irony of you talking about outliers that’d disobey – we have proof that such outliers exist. So obviously if the orders were to turn around, there would still be outliers.

Dear ANet writers,

PoF predictions...

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

One consideration here is that it may be no coincidence that the legion that has the most troublesome Imperator (apart from Flame, of course…) is also the legion that has the charr Destiny’s Edge representative.

Until S3E4, Logan’s narrative appeared to be heading towards marrying Jennah and becoming King of Kryta… and it may still be going that way through an unexpected route. Similarly, Rytlock’s long-term narrative may also be pushing him towards high office, and if Bangar did eventually loose cannon his way into needing to be removed, then that gives Rytlock an opening. It’s worth noting here that Blood Legion charr PCs are those who have been stationed in Ascalon and have seen the effect of the truce firsthand, as well as having a close relationship with Rytlock. It wouldn’t be stretching things for ArenaNet to have Blood Legion PCs, and non-renegede Blood Legion NPCs stationed in Ascalon in general, to choose to side with Rytlock (incidentally, the highest-ranking Blood Legion officer in Ascalon) over their Imperator. Heck, the Blood Legion personal story has the PC claim control over their warband through challenging their Legionnaire, so it would be fitting for them to support overthrowing a problematic Imperator in a similar way.

In fact, it may be less of a civil war, and more a case of a period of rising tensions culminating in getting Rytlock into a position where he can challenge the Imperator. They could possibly even find some excuse to have you play as Rytlock for the challenge.

PoF predictions...

in Lore

The Greyhawk.9107

False equivalence. Regardless of their origins, there are good and bad sylvari, just like their are good and bad humans, or norn, etc. The entire race, or even a majority, didn’t go bad mostly just those in close proximity to Mordy.

We never really got a percentage on the number of sylvari who turned to Mordrem Guards, but given the number of Mordrem Guards it is likely very high.

Either way, “just like there are good and bad humans, or Blood Legion soldiers, or Ash Legion soldiers”.

It’s not really a false equivalence. Given we know there are “bad Blood Legion soldiers” because some have already defected, just as we know there are good Blood Legion soldiers because some are grateful for the peace talks.

If Bangar decides to denounce the treaty, which was hinted he wants to do in the very first piece of GW2 lore, many soldiers will follow suit because if you talk to a number of charr in the Black Citadel as a human, or throughout Fields of Ruin as any race, you’ll see that a large number of dialogues in those areas talk about tolerating (for lack of a better word) the peace talks because their superiors told them to.

If their superiors told them to ignore the talks, then they’ll ignore the talks, either gladly or grudgingly. Because they already do this.

We’re talking about a group, not a race. […] We’re talking about an entire third of the legitimate High Legions and probably more than a quarter of the Charr populace becoming enemies. […] We’re talking about the Charr, if their Imperator did order them to basically turn on everyone, it’d only be outliers that’d disobey. It’d be a different matter if Banger did cause political issues within the balance the High Legions have, but for the whole Legion to become the enemy…its not really all the plausible.

We’re talking about a very large group – hundreds of thousands. Blood Legion is said to be the largest of the three legions, so that’s over a third of the allied race. It also has territory that is nearly three times that of Iron’s territory (Ascalon), as Blood territory reaches north of Ascalon and east of the Blazeridge.

And no, we’re not talking about all Blood Legion turning into enemies. No one has said the whole Blood Legion. Not a single person. We’re talking about a civil war within the Blood Legion, between those who serve “the greater good” and those who fall back to old racial customs or follow their superiors. In this hypothetical civil war, it would be Iron + Ash + some of Blood versus most of Blood + Renegades. The Blood Legion would be effectively split between those who are racial supremacists but followed orders (of which there are many), and those believe that peace with humans is the right path.

Hypothetically we could even see more defectors from Ash and Iron if they see an Imperator denouncing the peace talks.

And the irony of you talking about outliers that’d disobey – we have proof that such outliers exist. So obviously if the orders were to turn around, there would still be outliers.

Konig, ye’re not really…
I don’t feel like you quite understand what I’m trying to say. A good portion of the above is just re-stating what I was trying to say, if maybe more clearly. like, I’m not sure what pointing out that there are already bad Blood members really has to do with anything, of course there are members such member. I shouldn’t have to say that every single “good” group, including those that players can originate from or join, are going to have malicious individuals. I don’t see how that necessarily invalidates the idea that it doesn’t really make sense for the Blood Legion as a group to become the next Molten Alliance or Forged or whatever group.

And in regards to Bangar’s negative stance on peace with humans, the fact that most of the Blood legion regardless of the personal stances of individual members would obey their Imperator, the large size of the legion, and the existence of outliers of any side…Isn’t this all stuff I already stated? Why are we arguing these points? I’ll admit my estimation of the size of Blood was on the conservative side, but that was intentionally so, because I just wasn’t sure. Its logical for the warrior and ground troops sect of the Charr warmachine to have the highest number of members, but I didn’t want to overestimate.

As for “All of the Legion vs Most of it”…well be fair. Mickey Frogeater’s exact line about the Blood Legion was as follows: “Eventually we must deal with Braham, the Blood Legion and the Flame Legion. They are the only known threats outside of Scarlet Briar’s…” He didn’t specify how much of the Legion it’d be. He just said the Blood Legion was a threat, in the same sentence as Flame Legion (who are not only a purely enemy faction, they are the original enemy faction of GW) as well as that idiot Norn whose busy being a kitten to everyone while unwittingly spitting on his mother’s legacy and could very well get us all killed (assuming he can actually stand up to Jormag (and yes, I remember Jormag’s asleep right now) and not get killed himself). Yes it was an assumption, but but was it an unfair one?

In fact, it may be less of a civil war, and more a case of a period of rising tensions culminating in getting Rytlock into a position where he can challenge the Imperator. They could possibly even find some excuse to have you play as Rytlock for the challenge.

^This, I can see this absolutely being the case. My contention is that I don’t think its feasible for Blood to be the next Mordrem or Forged.

Hate is Fuel.

PoF predictions...

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

^This, I can see this absolutely being the case. My contention is that I don’t think its feasible for Blood to be the next Mordrem or Forged.

Oh, they’d probably be more along the lines of the White Mantle – the focus for a couple of LS episodes, and maybe something brewing in the background for a few more. Mind you, the same is probably true for the Flame Legion or Braham. I don’t really see any of those being a focus for the next expansion without a serious villain upgrade.

I suspect we won’t get any inclination of who the next Forged is going to be until midway through Season 4 at the earliest. None of the major releases have had a clear indication of the next big threat at the finale.

PoF predictions...

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I don’t see how that necessarily invalidates the idea that it doesn’t really make sense for the Blood Legion as a group to become the next Molten Alliance or Forged or whatever group.

Well, where is the notion that a group cannot splinter into two even if the PC can affiliate with it?

That is, after all, exactly what we see with sylvari – and I don’t mean “sylvari race”. I mean “Pact sylvari”. Based on dialogue during the Mordrem Invasion event, sylvari beyond the Wastes didn’t hear the call it seems, so only Pact sylvari turned – this just furthers the point, since all turned sylvari were of the same affiliation as PC sylvari.

And in regards to Bangar’s negative stance on peace with humans, the fact that most of the Blood legion regardless of the personal stances of individual members would obey their Imperator, the large size of the legion, and the existence of outliers of any side…Isn’t this all stuff I already stated? Why are we arguing these points?

Because those are all reasons why a civil war of sorts can be used as a lead into the next plot. That’s why I listed them – and you didn’t really list all of it.

He didn’t specify how much of the Legion it’d be.

To be fair, from context it was pretty clear he was referring to Bangar and his wildcard nature, and not the actual legion, and that it is more of a potential threat than actual threat.

I think it was very clear from context that we’re talking about a lead in army, not the main focus army.

That would make them comparable to White Mantle or Mercenaries – the group we fight for most of a LW season, but are dealt with (for the most part) by the time of the next expansion. Or if they’re in the expansion, they serve as a smaller threat for the larger one (like Zaishen may for the Forged).

Dear ANet writers,

PoF predictions...

in Lore

Posted by: TheOrlyFactor.8341

TheOrlyFactor.8341

They could possibly even find some excuse to have you play as Rytlock for the challenge.

I hope Anet will leave in an option where I can skip this.

Playing GW2 for the story is like expecting plot in a porno. You’ll be left disappointed.

PoF predictions...

in Lore

The Greyhawk.9107

I still don’t feel like you’re understanding what I’ve been trying to say, but that is probably because of my sub-par writing skills. I can’t seem to be accurate and/or specific enough in certain statements and its frustrating the kitten out of me. I’ll just say that I don’t think most or half or whatever fraction of Blood being a major enemy is a likely scenario, that’s just my subjective opinion. I’ll bow out and let this thread resume its course.

Hate is Fuel.

PoF predictions...

in Lore

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

Can throw stones at me for what I’m going to say: this Char / Human plot is looking like a reverse version of the orc / humans of WoW universe. Orc are aliens brought to the human world in WoW, where they were brought here by magic conspiracies and the whole thing with old deities and demons. The human kingdons in WoW, were apparently more freed from influence of “deities” or demons, and every 1 of the kingdoms had their own aspirations.

In Tyria, this role of alien race with complex connections with “magical entities” whose intrigues bring danger to the world belongs to humans. The charr legions have their own aspirations. In WoW, after the defeat of the Orcs, the human kingdoms were divided when what to do with them. It is not hard to imagine a plot, where the legions are divided over what to do about the “human problem” after the defeat of balthazar. The only thing that could prevent this would be if this implies a lot of change in the mechanics of the game.

And it is quite intriguing that Balthazar and Abaddon are in fact the name of demons.
Sometimes it seems that the human gods were originally thought of as demons and then, gw2 plot guys changed the whole story to “gods.”

(edited by ugrakarma.9416)

PoF predictions...

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

And it is quite intriguing that Balthazar and Abaddon are in fact the name of demons.
Sometimes it seems that the human gods were originally thought of as demons and then, gw2 plot guys changed the whole story to “gods.”

Not quite true. Balthazar is a name attributed to one of the three magi – not a demon.

Abaddon (or Apollyon) is a name given to both a being and a location. When referred to as a being (which seems more common use of the name), Abaddon is an angel of death (or “angel of the abyss”), called “the Destroyer”. One can, I suppose, consider Abaddon an “evil angel of death” while Azrael (the more common name for the Angel of Death) to be a “good angel of death”. Abaddon is basically an evil/fallen angel rather than a demon. Which is why I believe ArenaNet chose that name (the fallen angel / fallen god bit that is). When referred to a location, it is related to sheol (a shadowy realm of the dead – descriptions of this make me think of the Mad King’s Labyrinth or Tim Burton styled locations).

Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

PoF predictions...

in Lore

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

All of you are wrong.

Balthazar will be slain and the Ghost of Trahearne will have been reborn through the dream into a new body, then wander over at the last minute to ascend to godhood.

Trahearne will then thank the player profusely, shower the player with praise, and send the player off to anywhere but Cantha because we don’t get to have Cantha.