Probably a weird question, but Drakes

in Lore

Posted by: Harnel.6810

Harnel.6810

Do we have any real source of information about drakes? They’ve been around since GW1 as a miscellaneous type of monster (which originally couldn’t be tamed, but popular opinion changed that going into the second game) but there’s basically nothing about them except that they’re a type of animal and were very rarely used as mounts when they got to large size.

The reason that I’m poking about this is because I’ve been thoroughly enjoying roleplaying as a drake breeder on my ranger character, the sort that hatches eggs, trains the babies and sells them as interesting pets to nobles. I’d really love to have more information about drakes in general, but all we have at the moment is that there’s broodmothers, normal ones (we’re not even certain if the normal drakes can be female) and the babies, which look to me like ugly-cute.

As an aside, I’d absolutely love to have baby drakes as a mini pet option. Hatchling drakes always have a unique appearance, from what I’ve seen thus far.

in Lore

Posted by: JohnLShannonhouse.1820

JohnLShannonhouse.1820

We know they are attracted to the smell of bananas:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Drakes_on_the_Plain
Other than that, I’ve seen nothing particular on drakes.

in Lore

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

It was the White Mantle in Beyond that found out how to tame them.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

It was the White Mantle in Beyond that found out how to tame them.

*brigands who the Mantle employed. Unless I’m mistaken, none of the Mantle themselves had pet drakes. Before that, though, Dagnar and later other Summit dwarves were riding one, which I believe is the mount referenced in the OP.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

There’s a bit of information that you can get on a ranger by taming drakes – each drake has a short description:

“Red salamander drakes are often hunted because of their similarity to the myth of dragons, though they are a different species. They continue to survive because their fire breath makes them deadly to hunters and prey alike. "

“River drakes hunt by throwing foes into water, then unleashing their electrical breath. Fortunately, they are immune to their own breath, but most prey cannot withstand its power.”

“Reef drakes emit a high-pitched screech to disorient their foes. Don’t let them confuse you; these drakes are dangerous.”

“The standard diet of the swamp drake includes a variety of noxious marsh insects. The drake’s digestive system isolates those unsavory poisons and enables [sic] to breathe a venomous cloud to debilitate foes.”

“Ice drakes have a unique biology, considering they are a cold-blooded creature that lives in arctic climates. They can breathe ice to attack their prey.”

Unfortunately, most drakes in GW1 are in Tyria where collectors don’t have any lore text to speak of. The collectors of drake flesh in Elona mostly concentrate on their culinary qualities (very similar to crocodile, although apparently their skin can be crunchy). A few more tidbits can be gleaned from Nicholas the Traveler:

“Hail, friend! We’ve traveled extensively across this desert and seen creatures that boggle the imagination. I was just discussing drakes [sic] with my favorite companion here, because I’ve noticed how fast those things can move. Their speed quite astounds me. As soon as I made this observation, the Professor suggested we approach for a closer examination, but then refused to go near them. Normally I’d sneak in alone for a better look, but I’ll trust the Professor’s judgment. He’s got a good sense of what I can handle. You, on the other hand, look like a capable sort. Maybe you’ve even slain the drakes [sic] already! If you have, perhaps you came back with some Topaz Crests I might examine? Actually, I think just 1 will do.” (Refers to the Earth Magic-using sand drakes of the Crystal Desert)

“Have you encountered any of the Drakes in the area? Such amazing creatures! For years, researchers have been trying to determine just how the Drakes of Kryta learned to harness the powers of Air Magic so well. Some believe their power comes from their Spiked Crests. If you come across any while you’re making your way through Kryta, I would be happy to give you a token of my appreciation for every 1 you bring me.” (River Drakes)

Beyond that, given what we know of their physiology, drakes seem to be closely related to crocodiles or alligators that have evolved to make use of Tyria’s magic (the Elonian drakes are more primitive, and according to the Nightfall Manuscripts, these were tameable. Then, so are actual crocodiles, if you’re a ranger).

There’s a bit more in the form of GW2 heart and event dialogues – I’ll start chasing those up and see what else I can pull out.

EDIT: Not much so far, apart from marsh drakes having a liking for the taste of frog.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

(edited by draxynnic.3719)

in Lore

Harnel.6810

You’re amazing Drax. Thank you so much.

in Lore

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Your ranger is a drake trainer/breeder too?! We should be friends

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Lore

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Also, I asked the same question almost a year ago kind of, This may help you out some

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Lore

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

There was also a drake in Kourna (Elona) that was “tamed” by the local villagers to protect them. It ate humans, but the villagers were hiding from the military (iirc) and the PC could take the drake out on a quest to eat. It ended up leaving the villagers alone and warded off any strangers.

Those of you interested in drake breeders might interested in an anime called Kemono no Souja Erin (http://myanimelist.net/anime/5420/Kemono_no_Souja_Erin). It’s about a girl who lives in a village that breeds drake-like beasts for their kingdom. Her mother is like a vet and she is tasked with caring for the drakes and taming them. It’s a childrens anime and it has it cheesy story bits, but overall it’s a great story imo.

in Lore

Harnel.6810

I sat through all of Naruto, so I figure I can deal with some cheesy story bits. Thanks for bringing that anime to my attention, as I’ve been looking for a new anime to try watching.

Funny enough, my own name is Erin. Nice coincidence.