Project Eavesdrop.

Project Eavesdrop.

in Lore

Posted by: Gmr Leon.1846

Gmr Leon.1846

Hey everyone, thought I’d bring this to your attention. A redditor by the name of Plagiarised is going to begin trying to transcribe all the ambient dialog in GW2 (kind of crazy but yeaah…) and could use some help on the project. The first area he intends to go after is the Royal Palace area in Divinity’s Reach.

Here’s the link to the thread for those interested: I will try to record all the NPC conversations and Mr. Plagiarised needs your help.

If you’re up for it, he provides instructions on what sort of submissions are desired. Honestly, I think this would be of great benefit to the lore community, as well as the wiki community, so I’d encourage you to try and log the conversations you find where possible, however you find easiest/productive/whatever. I’m sure he’d appreciate any and all help on the matter.

Grydd, asuran engineer perpetually gathering materials.
Member of The Archivists’ Sanctum [Lore], a guild for lore enthusiasts.
The Adventurer’s Log!

(edited by Gmr Leon.1846)

Project Eavesdrop.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Humorously I was going to do this a few months back. Had already started it even. Then I got banned from GW2W.

Luckily, I got screenshots of the NPC lines (at least some) around the Great Collapse still from before they got removed from the game. Go go historical lines!

Anyways, I personally will look into helping out when/where I can though I got “my” own project to work on (hopefully it will debut soon) – one I’m working on with most of the [Lore] guild. And this project will most certainly be of benefit to my guild’s project!

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Project Eavesdrop.

in Lore

Gmr Leon.1846

Hey guys, an update. Plagiarised and I have completed the Eastern and Western Commons of Divinity’s Reach, now moving on to the Ossan Quarter and Rurikton if you’re interested in helping.

Some good tips about this:
The static NPCs’ ambient dialogue seems to occur on a 2 to 3 minute cycle, varying according to their pool of lines.

What this means:
If you stand around for at least that amount of time and the NPCs don’t say anything, chances are they don’t have any ambient dialogue to them.

I haven’t timed the patrolling NPCs cycles, so I can’t really say how long is good to wait for them. I should also note that I don’t know whether this timer applies in the open world or not. I suspect it may, but due to the dynamic events and triggers involved, it may be even easier to miss certain aspects of it.

The Adventurer’s Log!

Project Eavesdrop.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

One complication I have noticed while doing personal research in the Grove is that sometimes dialogue seems to get blocked, especially when NPC movement is involved. I honestly don’t know if there is any way this project could account for that, though.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Project Eavesdrop.

in Lore

Gmr Leon.1846

Blocked, as in, stopped from occurring? Or just getting hidden by the NPCs behind terrain/in the way of the other dialogue?

The Adventurer’s Log!

Project Eavesdrop.

in Lore

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

Humorously I was going to do this a few months back. Had already started it even. Then I got banned from GW2W.

Luckily, I got screenshots of the NPC lines (at least some) around the Great Collapse still from before they got removed from the game. Go go historical lines!

Anyways, I personally will look into helping out when/where I can though I got “my” own project to work on (hopefully it will debut soon) – one I’m working on with most of the [Lore] guild. And this project will most certainly be of benefit to my guild’s project!

I realize the answer might end up a bit biased but…

What’d you do to get banned from GW2W?

Project Eavesdrop.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Blocked as in not occurring. In the specific examples I can remember, one of the participating NPCs would move across the building to talk to another on a regular basis (every five minutes), and then simply stop- the moving NPC stays on the other side of the room, and no dialogue occurs.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Project Eavesdrop.

in Lore

Gmr Leon.1846

Blocked as in not occurring. In the specific examples I can remember, one of the participating NPCs would move across the building to talk to another on a regular basis (every five minutes), and then simply stop- the moving NPC stays on the other side of the room, and no dialogue occurs.

Ah, that’s good to keep in mind. I thought that might be a possibility, but I didn’t run into any examples of it as far as I could tell. Hopefully it’s not too common of an occurrence. If it is though, that’s why it’s good to have multiple people gathering the info, since certainly one of them would have to be working.

I realize the answer might end up a bit biased but…

What’d you do to get banned from GW2W?

>_> Konig, if you see this, could you please respond in PM instead (in case you haven’t already), so we might avoid taking this off topic? I could respond for you, but that’d likely lead to what I’ve already indicated I’d like to avoid.

The Adventurer’s Log!

Project Eavesdrop.

in Lore

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

Well then respond for him. In PM. Duh.

Project Eavesdrop.

in Lore

Posted by: Vahkris.6847

Vahkris.6847

Hey everyone, thought I’d bring this to your attention. A redditor by the name of Plagiarised is going to begin trying to transcribe all the ambient dialog in GW2 (kind of crazy but yeaah…) and could use some help on the project. The first area he intends to go after is the Royal Palace area in Divinity’s Reach.

Here’s the link to the thread for those interested: I will try to record all the NPC conversations and Mr. Plagiarised needs your help.

If you’re up for it, he provides instructions on what sort of submissions are desired. Honestly, I think this would be of great benefit to the lore community, as well as the wiki community, so I’d encourage you to try and log the conversations you find where possible, however you find easiest/productive/whatever. I’m sure he’d appreciate any and all help on the matter.

Has anyone gone through and captured ambient dialogue from this new release? I believe there are new ones around the city related to the jubilee, and I believe they’re going to change again once the release lands tomorrow.

Project Eavesdrop.

in Lore

Gmr Leon.1846

Has anyone gone through and captured ambient dialogue from this new release? I believe there are new ones around the city related to the jubilee, and I believe they’re going to change again once the release lands tomorrow.

Not to my knowledge. There’s not a ton of it in the Crown Pavilion I think, so you (or someone else up for it, I might even go after it) could probably screenshot the majority of it in maybe 20 to 30 minutes. Most of the areas developed prerelease take about an hour or so to ensure you catch it all from good angles, in my experience.

The Adventurer’s Log!