Q: is their a public rest room in Tyra

in Lore

Posted by: Kenage Achalarus.4276

Kenage Achalarus.4276

Q:

ok im actually no trying to be disgusting or what not but Ive always been wondering how come their is not a rest room or a out house in Tyra. In devinitys reach i can understand houses having a rest room but what about the black cidel or Rata sum.

unless somehow asurans have developed the personal waste system.

a Mesmer with a Greatsword [Confusion], your mind has been [Mind Wrack]

in Lore

Posted by: WonderfulCT.6278

WonderfulCT.6278

There’s a conversation about this in LA between some guy and an asura, so yeah I think it’s safe to assume that tyrians do have restrooms.

If you are wondering why you don’t visually see one somewhere, then I can’t really help you there.

Add more sound effects to The Minstrel plz.

in Lore

Kenage Achalarus.4276

do you know what the asuran name is and at wich POI its at.

in Lore

Posted by: Ninth Requiem.3250

Ninth Requiem.3250

do you know what the asuran name is and at wich POI its at.

It’s more of an ambient conversation – you don’t get to trigger it, but it can be heard north of the mystic forge in LA. I often hear it when going between crafting areas and the TP. It starts with a human saying “Which way to the outhouse?”

in Lore

Posted by: BunnytheSwordsman.4173

BunnytheSwordsman.4173

There’s an “Adventurer” talking to an Asura—I forget the type of NPC the Asura is. But if you’re heading into LA from Genderran Fields, go towards the Mystic Forge. Keep looking to your right and you’ll see them.

in Lore

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

I’ve heard it so often, I know most of the conversation off of the top of my head.

Human: Which way to the outhouse?

Asuran: We don’t have outhouses – we have water closets.

Human: Like…latrines?

Asuran: No. They all flow into the same sewer system and that all goes out to sea.

Human: ….that’s more than I really needed to know.

Asuran: Hey, you asked! Just don’t ask me if anything lives down there.

Human: You’ve got yourself a deal!

But yes, like WonderfulCT said, I don’t think you can actually see them.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Even in GW1’s time, there were sewers (in Kaineng, Ascalon, and though not mentioned until GW1, Lion’s Arch), so it’s likely that only the towns (maybe) and smaller places would have outhouses, while places like Black Citadel, Lion’s Arch, Rata Sum, Ebonhawke, etc. have bathrooms of some sort or form. Anet likely didn’t design ’em just so we could use our imagination for their looks (or out of laziness of not wanting to make uniquely designed toilets :P).

With Rata Sum… you know those “waterfalls” coming from the cube? Three guesses as to what kind of water that is.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Kenage Achalarus.4276

Even in GW1’s time, there were sewers (in Kaineng, Ascalon, and though not mentioned until GW1, Lion’s Arch), so it’s likely that only the towns (maybe) and smaller places would have outhouses, while places like Black Citadel, Lion’s Arch, Rata Sum, Ebonhawke, etc. have bathrooms of some sort or form. Anet likely didn’t design ’em just so we could use our imagination for their looks (or out of laziness of not wanting to make uniquely designed toilets :P).

With Rata Sum… you know those “waterfalls” coming from the cube? Three guesses as to what kind of water that is.

yes I do know about the sewers look at the under city in Cantha they had a huge sewage system. but we know their is sewage system but where is the source? do citizens just well do their business in a bucket and throw it or dump it into the sewage system or is their a tolate?

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I imagine that most human structures still use the old “chamberpot under the bed” method of waste removal, given the fact that they do not have running water and there are no signs of any toilet facilities in any of the houses I’ve seen (not even in the homes of the wealthy like Ministers). I’m guessing the Norn simply wander outside their lodges to do their business when the urge strikes them.

The Charr and Asura may have more sophisticated sewage facilities, but again, I haven’t seen any direct structures to prove it one way or the other.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Just because you don’t see them, doesn’t mean they’re not behind the locked doors you cannot open (of which there are plenty of). Or that Anet wasn’t just too lazy to impliment them.

With everything else being so advanced in Tyria, I can’t imagine such basic bathroom facilities as you mention, Zaxares. Mind you, I am not expecting fancy toilets either. :P

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Kenage Achalarus.4276

ok i have found the dialog of the asuran and human but as the asurn says their are no latrines so im guessing people do their business in the sewage or a bucket and dump it there.

Attachments:

in Lore

Zaxares.5419

I’m certainly willing to accept the prospect of running water sewage systems similar to what the Romans had (they typically directed aqueducts through bathhouses so that there was a constant stream of water flowing underneath the “seats”), although the thing that makes me skeptical about such systems is the fact that we don’t see many signs of aqueducts or large public waterworks in Divinity’s Reach. (The water station in Queensdale seems to be there primarily for irrigating the fields.)

I suppose the Asura could have extremely advanced toilet facilities where miniature gates simply whisk waste away to cisterns or sewers, although I don’t know whether they’d use gate technology for something so mundane.

Then again, you make a good point about not knowing what goes on behind closed doors. For all we know, maybe the Ministers just hire a Water Elementalist to cast Geyser/Healing Rain after every use of the bathroom. XD

in Lore

Kenage Achalarus.4276

Zaxares there is plumbing in Tyra look at Lions arch stachue and Rata Sum fountain. those are great examples of plumbing.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Zaxares – go visit the Plaza of Grenth. You’ll see giant pipes. Those are referred to as “Grenth’s Spokes” in the street rat storyline, and is stated to be Divinity’s Reach’s water irrigation system – at least for the drinking water, but I believe for the sewage system as well. We also see sewer grates throughout Divinity’s Reach, one of which being interactable in Eastern Commons (iirc), as well as some ambient dialogue near the Great Collapse talking about the sewers.

The reason you don’t see much of it, is because it’s all underground or off the map to the north for DR.

Of the main cities, it’s really only the Grove and Hoelbrak that’s in question. And tbh, I don’t think we even know if sylvari even need to go to the bathroom…

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

…I can totally imagine norn not having any need of toilet facilities.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

in Lore

Posted by: ajm.2931

ajm.2931

the real question is are there separate facilities for the different races? Is there an Asura room, a Norn Room, a quaggan room, a Charr room, etc?

Obic – Tarnished Coast
Yak Cultist and follower of the Great Golem God

in Lore

Posted by: Tikky.6231

Tikky.6231

ok i have found the dialog of the asuran and human but as the asurn says their are no latrines so im guessing people do their business in the sewage or a bucket and dump it there.

The Ausra specifically mentions they have “water closets” – which is an alternate term for what would become toilets.

in Lore

Kenage Achalarus.4276

The Ausra specifically mentions they have “water closets” – which is an alternate term for what would become toilets.

ok cool thats great that we know they do have watter closets but where are they? are they in a building behind the bank exc. it seems like the evidence says yes but the fact that we cant go to it or see it still makes me wonder.

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

ok cool thats great that we know they do have watter closets but where are they? are they in a building behind the bank exc. it seems like the evidence says yes but the fact that we cant go to it or see it still makes me wonder.

I wouldn’t read to much into whether or not you see them. it would be too tedious for the designers to equip every household with eevry needed amenity.

in Lore

Kenage Achalarus.4276

well dust that may be true but think of how many omnombarry bars that your charater eats or any food itom and also the karm jugs. has me thinking of how when and where dose my Hero decide to do his business for all we know they might run behind a bush and finish when we go to character select or log off lol.

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

yeah, that’s how I reason it. I figure, Im out in the wild, my character will just go as needed. maybe I don’t where pants sometimes and it just lays where it drops. I don’t know. :P

in Lore

Zaxares.5419

@Kenage Achalarus and Konig Des Todes:

Fair enough. Those are indeed superb examples of plumbing architecture, so I’ll concede that running water and flushing toilets could indeed be present in GW2. I also completely missed all that stuff about the sewers in Divinity’s Reach (my Human was a Noble so I didn’t get to see a lot about the underbelly of the city).

in Lore

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

The char use kitty litter.

in Lore

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Leave it to the lore nerds to put the #2 in Guild Wars 2!

I RP it that my ele’s engineer sister (my engi alt) set up her bath/shower and toilet behind one of the human home instance “locked” doors in the Manor Hill poi house that you can enter (which has Lord Faren sitting badly in the couch humorously) Most other poorer RPers (commoner/streets) are amazed I have plumbing. They probably still use pots or public systems which has a running water stream below a fancy wood box over a hole (which is what I usually see ICly in public areas).

I suspect in LA the areas behind gates around the dungeon token collectors are the water closets. as the lions mouths, that spew water into the sea, are behind the concrete walls of those.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

(edited by Yumiko Ishida.3769)

in Lore

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

It would be nice to be able to have an outhouse in the world that characters can use. If they use it they get a swiftness buff and if a player tips the outhouse over with a player inside they get a stinky condition that makes all monsters out of range for them for a certain time.

in Lore

Posted by: SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

You see, all the waste produced is converted thru magic into mystical forces and in turn transitioned into RNG mechanics… duh!

in Lore

Posted by: God Of Fissures.8627

God Of Fissures.8627

They don’t call it the “Mystic Toilet” for nothing. Everybody dumps their feces and urine into the Mystic Toilet and Zommoros eats it. Then he craps on us when we try to get precursors at the forge.

i7-3770K (Delidded) @ 4.6GHz | nVidia GTX TITAN X@ 1468/7800
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz @ 2400MHz
Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD | Windows 10 x64

in Lore

Kenage Achalarus.4276

They don’t call it the “Mystic Toilet” for nothing. Everybody dumps their feces and urine into the Mystic Toilet and Zommoros eats it. Then he craps on us when we try to get precursors at the forge.

omg i never thought of it that way.

in Lore

Posted by: Jyenh.5739

Jyenh.5739

I could have sworn i saw an outhouse around somewhere, so I took a little walk around Queensdale, most likely place that would have one imo, but unfortunately nothing. Though I saw a few sights and found some interesting NPCs, the only things that I could find relating to toilets were 2 closed doors in the carny house at Beetletun. I’ve attached pictures, one’s a bit big for a toilet (L1), but the other has 2 doors – one of which is obstructed (L2), though it is very small and one door doesn’t have stairs, so maybe for shovelling waste away? So maybe they’re like a long-drop? Never thought I was going to type that today when I woke up…

The next closest thing I found, also attached, was a wash/dress room in the monastery(L3), since they’re monks they probably only sponge themselves and don’t have the luxaries of baths is my guess. Again, didn’t expect to be talking about monks bathing themselves. This, my fellow GW2 players, is what happens when games are compared to reality.

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af130/jyenh/gw268_zps9a57e5bc.jpg
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af130/jyenh/gw267_zps74b444c0.jpg
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af130/jyenh/gw269_zps94b0c4a9.jpg

(edited by Jyenh.5739)

in Lore

Posted by: Amanda Whitemoon.6173

Amanda Whitemoon.6173

about the norn, in the storyline [SPOILER=dont know exactly wich part, but the norn battles a son of svanir and talks about using his helm as a chamberpot], so seems thats what norn use, but dont know what they do with it afterward.

in Lore

Posted by: Ludovicus.7980

Ludovicus.7980

I don’t think charr need sewers. Being as they are, they probably burn everything, they could even use the solid waste as fuel.
As for the liquid waste. I don’t remember Rin having that much water.

The glory of my ancestors shall be restored.

in Lore

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

It has to be one of two doors on the second floor in the manor hill poi house (in salma district) that I use in my rps as my home. I place the toilet in the door closest to the bed.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.