Race specific classes.

Race specific classes.

in Lore

Posted by: Izanagi.7831

Izanagi.7831

I was reading that the Dervish will be off limits due to the heavy human god interface with the class so I got to thinking why not introduce race specific classes.

Human- The Dervish
Charr- A suped up version of the engineer or a class that relies on guns to an extreme.
Norn- Shaman (think spirit shaman from DnD)
Aura-Golemancer
Sylvari- Warden (kinda like a mixture between a warrior and a ranger).

This would solve any lore problems with introducing the dervish THE BEST CLASS FROM GW1

Gloir Goreclaw[WNx]- Devona’s Rest.

Race specific classes.

in Lore

Posted by: Curuniel.4830

Curuniel.4830

The problem is this goes against the stated goal of allowing players to make their character any race without it affecting their gameplay potential. Plus, it could cause some balance difficulties, especially since most of these ideas are pretty close to existing professions.

The possibility remains for a dervish – if you used the same kind of fighting style but linked it to something other than the gods – but I don’t think there’s much room for it mechanics-wise, with the guardian and other existing professions, so I wouldn’t hold your breath.

Race specific classes.

in Lore

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

enough with the WoW crap >.>

Race specific classes.

in Lore

Posted by: catqeer.1954

catqeer.1954

This would solve any lore problems with introducing the dervish THE BEST CLASS FROM GW1

flawed logic the ritualist was the best profession of the ones that did not make it into guild wars 2

Race specific classes.

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

flawed logic the Necro MM was the best profession of the ones that did not make it into guild wars 2 :P

Race specific classes.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

The problem is this goes against the stated goal of allowing players to make their character any race without it affecting their gameplay potential.

This.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Race specific classes.

in Lore

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Ye. Besides, Dervish in essence was nothing more than a whammo with built-in aoe and therefor the quintessential noob profession. The OP just wanted a paladin =)

Best GW1 profession not in the game atm is smiting monk. GW2 is the ultimate smiting boon.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Race specific classes.

in Lore

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

to be fair, the only thing that was “holy” about the dervishes was the avatars and the lore behind them, the fighting style just requires skill, strength and discipline, and the avatars could possibly be replaced with elements.
hell, we could give an elementalists a scythe and make a pretty good derish substitute…
here’s an idea for lore for non-god based dervishes:

ever since the gods left tyria, the dervishes have been slowly dying out.
thankfully however, a group of elemenalists have decided to keep the fighting style alive by substituting the power of the gods with their own elemental abilities.
with the rise of the elder dragons, the other races of tyria have attempted to learn this fighting style with some success.

whilst they’re at it, they could also add a scythe to necros and bring back ritualists :P

Race specific classes.

in Lore

Posted by: Izanagi.7831

Izanagi.7831

Ye. Besides, Dervish in essence was nothing more than a whammo with built-in aoe and therefor the quintessential noob profession. The OP just wanted a paladin =)

Best GW1 profession not in the game atm is smiting monk. GW2 is the ultimate smiting boon.

So because my opinion differs from you, I am a WoW noob right? Sorry I really enjoyed my Dervish in GW1, the whole scythe AoE thing made it awesome. I know it was a glorified wammo but still it was fun to play and use Avatar of balth+all the weapon enchants…and an anime-esque feel to it.

Gloir Goreclaw[WNx]- Devona’s Rest.

Race specific classes.

in Lore

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

The missing professions’ mechanics though, have been divided among the new professions.

Spirits→Engineering Turrets,War Banners
Weapon Spells→Conjured Weapons & Guardian weapons
etc.

So in a way, they’re still around.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Race specific classes.

in Lore

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

I was reading that the Dervish will be off limits due to the heavy human god interface with the class so I got to thinking why not introduce race specific classes.

Human- The Dervish
Charr- A suped up version of the engineer or a class that relies on guns to an extreme.
Norn- Shaman (think spirit shaman from DnD)
Aura-Golemancer
Sylvari- Warden (kinda like a mixture between a warrior and a ranger).

This is merely the explanation for why we won’t see Dervishes in terms of lore. The real reason is due to mechanics: Dervishes never had a clearly defined or unique role in GW1. GW2 has already covered just about all roles imaginable with the existing classes and the addition of new classes would result in something like the Dervish from GW1: a class that’s an odd hybrid of existing professions with no clearly defined role.

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

Race specific classes.

in Lore

Posted by: exelion.2369

exelion.2369

Lore wise I could see dervishes appearing as a human faction but not being playable. The other races don’t really have something that fits the theme of them.

Don’t mess with Ascalon!

Race specific classes.

in Lore

Posted by: Potato Slayer.3107

Potato Slayer.3107

The above may hate me for it, but I would rather see Dervishes as dying out npc only profession unique to the storyline in an Elona expansion or something than seeing millions of players playing them as was in GW1. Same idea with Assassin being an npc only profession in a Cantha expansion, like a super thief, not available to players. I really liked the hero concept from GW1, maybe they could bring something like that into the game like a minor companion for PvE, with those professions available as npcs. And I really enjoyed Hero Battles from GW1 in that aspect, the 1v1 player battles with 3 party hero npcs on each team, for those that don’t know. A way to incorporate lost professions without seeing them broken in game. You wouldn’t be able to play them per say, but you would be able to modify their abilities and such.

Race specific classes.

in Lore

Posted by: exelion.2369

exelion.2369

Same idea with Assassin being an npc only profession in a Cantha expansion, like a super thief, not available to players.

Assassins got refit into the thief. We might see Assassin organizations in Canthan related content though just as we might see dervish ones in Elonian content.

Don’t mess with Ascalon!

Race specific classes.

in Lore

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

So because my opinion differs from you, I am a WoW noob right?

No, you’re a WoW player (not noob) because you ask for stuff that failed in WoW and was heavily patched through successive expansions.

Sorry I really enjoyed my Dervish in GW1, the whole scythe AoE thing made it awesome. I know it was a glorified wammo but still it was fun to play and use Avatar of balth+all the weapon enchants…and an anime-esque feel to it.

Regardless of what your skill level in WoW is, the Whammo is the quintessential noob build in GW1, and I never though different of Dervishes. I’m not referring to you, I’m only talking about a profession with built in aoe, survival and high armor + 25 hp. Seriously… the dervish profession was a joke. Concept was great, implementation was a bit of a puppy. That’s probably why dervish needed such a huge overhaul.

On the other hand, dervish being such an easy profession pulled many people in the game later on. That’s not necessarily a bad thing because it sure kept my favourite game alive for longer. People without UAX couldn’t quickly build a good toon unless it was a paragon or dervish. They had far less skill bloat.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto