Races/classes, Tyria & Expansions.

in Lore

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Hello!

This will be a discussion just like the topic of my title says, about ‘upcoming’ future races/classes/geography/expansions etc…

Race/Profession/Class

Let’s start with races and professions/classes!
Tengu race have been a hot topic during the time of GW2, (and GW1). Lots of you perhaps know about the unreleased/cancelled GW1 4th Expansion – Utopia.
They were going to release a whole new content of Aztec theme and along with that, two new professions: Chronomancer and Summoner.

Chronomancer:

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/127367/-F_Chronomancer_Standard-_concept_art.jpg

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/127370/chronomancerpgroupsv9.jpg

Summoner: https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/127368/-Summoner-_concept_art.jpg

Also, what about the Tengu race? There’s not much info about it in Utopia, but there’s a few concept arts of the race. Why isnt Tengu so important in GW2, yet? Why can’t you visit the ’Tengu’s homeplace? – Because it hasen’t been released yet..? I’ll come back to this later on.

Tengu race:
https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/127369/tumblr_m78ihxTofg1r21rsxo1_500.jpg

Who knows? One of these might become playable in GW2. IT was alot of rumors about it back in GW1 that Utopia will become an expansion in GW2, since Eye of the North released in GW1 instead.

When the Living-World content ’’Queen’s Jubilee’’ was released, I found a screenshot of Watchknights NPCs and I actually thought they were the Chronomancer profession/race. But as usual, it wasn’t what I thought it was about…
Indeed, it is known that multiple races were intended to be introduced in Utopia, such as the Sidhe (which later became the concept for the Sylvari).

Other known non-playable-races from GW2:
Kodan – http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kodan
Skritt – http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skritt
Centaurs – http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Centaur
Grawl – http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Grawl
Hylek – http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hylek
Krait – http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Krait
Ogres – http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ogre
Quaggan – http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quaggan
Tengu – http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tengu

So, what do you think that will be an upcoming race/profession?

Tyria’s geography

Now about Tyria World Content. I was so disappointed when I found out that some of the most famous regions in Tyria wasn’t even released, yet!?

Yes, I am talking about:
• Far Shiverpeaks
• Blazeridge Mountains
• Blood Legion Homelands
• Crystal Desert
• Depths of Tyria
• Isles of Janthir
• Ring of Fire
• Scavenger’s Causeway
• Woodland Cascades
• Sea of Sorrows

Can anyone confirm that those regions will become playable in future?
Do you think some of those regions will perhaps become permanent places in Tyria that you actually can run around in?
I am still waiting for them to release those regions… I really hope they will aswell.

Expansion

What I miss most from GW1 is expansions..
Sure, the Living-World is fun, sometimes and not all of them. But that is not the topic I am going to talk about here.
I just loved Prophecies, Nightfall, Factions and Eye of the North.. I’m sure I would love Utopia aswell. The different stories, races and professions, armor and weapon types, creatures and etc..
Why isnt GW2 making any expansions? I mean, box-expansions with a whole new storyline, regions, places, weapons, armors, professions..!!
The Living-World event about Scarlet Briar will never end!
If they’re only keep going to create Living-World events, me and lots of other players will get bored of this. Atleast me.
I want expansion to GW2 with further new storyline, regions, places, weapons, armors, professions etc.
But this is my opinion and thoughts.

Share your thoughts!

Thank you!

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

On professions: the devs have been really careful in this game to balance out light/medium/heavy classes. If we see another, which is in no way certain- ANet intended for the present 8 to fill every niche- it will almost certainly be a heavy class. I would not expect to see any casters like the chronomancer or summoner would have been.

For races, I think the only ones in the current line-up that have a chance of becoming playable are tengu, largos, and kodan, roughly in that order. The others currently in-game are either too hostile of a faction or too primitive/physically unfit to fill an adventuring profession. Each of the three I listed, though, have potential problems all their own, and it may well be that ANet decides to sidestep this by making any future playable races from scratch, or drawing on the non-playable races from Cantha or Elona in GW1.

I want to see so much more of the map! I certainly can’t confirm that we’ll see anything of it, but there are hints that ANet is moving slowly in that direction- Southsun, the temporary Labyrinthine Cliffs, their creation of desert assets as displayed in Skyhammer and Edge of the Mists. Personally, I’m dying to see Scavenger’s Causeway- the name really captures my imagination, all the more so because there’s really nothing for us to base expectations on.

I’m with you on wanting expansions. As much as I enjoy the free ride of not having to pay a cent for content, the current system only allows for iterative storytelling, slowly adding more and more that builds up on itself. That model sorely limits the story’s ability to integrate with the setting, and it harshly curtails the sense of player exploration to barely bite-sized chunks. That’s what hooked me in both games, and it saddens me to see ANet has over time moved progressively farther away from that.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

On professions: the devs have been really careful in this game to balance out light/medium/heavy classes. If we see another, which is in no way certain- ANet intended for the present 8 to fill every niche- it will almost certainly be a heavy class. I would not expect to see any casters like the chronomancer or summoner would have been.

For races, I think the only ones in the current line-up that have a chance of becoming playable are tengu, largos, and kodan, roughly in that order. The others currently in-game are either too hostile of a faction or too primitive/physically unfit to fill an adventuring profession. Each of the three I listed, though, have potential problems all their own, and it may well be that ANet decides to sidestep this by making any future playable races from scratch, or drawing on the non-playable races from Cantha or Elona in GW1.

I want to see so much more of the map! I certainly can’t confirm that we’ll see anything of it, but there are hints that ANet is moving slowly in that direction- Southsun, the temporary Labyrinthine Cliffs, their creation of desert assets as displayed in Skyhammer and Edge of the Mists. Personally, I’m dying to see Scavenger’s Causeway- the name really captures my imagination, all the more so because there’s really nothing for us to base expectations on.

I’m with you on wanting expansions. As much as I enjoy the free ride of not having to pay a cent for content, the current system only allows for iterative storytelling, slowly adding more and more that builds up on itself. That model sorely limits the story’s ability to integrate with the setting, and it harshly curtails the sense of player exploration to barely bite-sized chunks. That’s what hooked me in both games, and it saddens me to see ANet has over time moved progressively farther away from that.

Thank you for your reply, it was very interesting to read your message!
I am totally agree with you, so I have nothing more to say, lol.

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Profession-wise, there’s no real reason why the Summoner or Chronomancer are any more likely to be recycled than the professions that did make it into GW1 but not GW2 like the Dervish and Ritualist. The concepts and intended playstyles underpinning these professions would all have been in their thoughtspace when making GW2, so they’ve probably already been incorporated into the existing professions (we see mesmers using skills that twist time and space, for instance, and several professions have multiple summons, with mesmers in particular relying on quickly building up a posse of what are, mechanically speaking, effectively summons).

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: ZidZabre.7256

ZidZabre.7256

We will most likley see Tengus as the new playable race, due to fleshed out concepts and their status as a major race. I would like to see new proffesions, but balancing would be difficult, perhaps additional weapons with new skills attached to them, as for the Largos,, they are like the humans a non native race to Tyria, and at this point not as fleshed to be a playable race, and may not even have the numbers for it.

But as for Kodans, i think they could be a major possibility, after Tengus.

I’d love to be a parrot anyday though.

in Lore

Posted by: darkfiremew.5937

darkfiremew.5937

After seeing stuff from wooden potatoes about Guild Wars lore and what I’ve seen in Guild Wars 2 I want the first playable race to be the Tengu, second the Kodan. I wold like to see more of the Tarnished Coast especially the zone between Rata Sum and the Grove , the part with the dinosaurs and the zones between the sylvari starter zone and L.A. where the Tengu are. Those zones can be introduced through the living story with the Zephyrites and Sky Pirates with other pirates not just Aetherblades. Just throwing some ideas out there.

in Lore

Posted by: Mikhail.4961

Mikhail.4961

with mesmers in particular relying on quickly building up a posse of what are, mechanically speaking, effectively summons).

Mechanically, yes :/ Sadly so. I suppose if we want a Ritualist with different yet familiar mechanics, we’d need to figure out what the spirits do and how big a part they play in the Ritualist’s gameplay. Something above the mindlessness of illusions and minions, but better designed than pets – something with a short window of action (say 10 seconds), yet deals good damage/has utility, longer recuperation to balance this out and some effect when inactive.

Any class is easy to play, but not as easy to master. So sod off, warrior-haters.

in Lore

Posted by: Nicholas S Lin.6187

Nicholas S Lin.6187

I think what we all want is a progression of our character’s Personal Story that now also take into account the Living Story elements that would then inform the developers as to which race becomes playable.

To me this means the Tengu will be the next playable race. As I see the plot move to the Sea of Sorrows, where the story of both the Toxic Alliance and the Aetherblade Pirates develop further.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

with mesmers in particular relying on quickly building up a posse of what are, mechanically speaking, effectively summons).

Mechanically, yes :/ Sadly so. I suppose if we want a Ritualist with different yet familiar mechanics, we’d need to figure out what the spirits do and how big a part they play in the Ritualist’s gameplay. Something above the mindlessness of illusions and minions, but better designed than pets – something with a short window of action (say 10 seconds), yet deals good damage/has utility, longer recuperation to balance this out and some effect when inactive.

Others may disagree, but I’ve always felt that the defining trait of the ritualist was synergy. It’s chock full of skills that are fairly lacklustre if you just fire them off randomly, but if you drop spirit X before casting spell Y, apply weapon spell A before buff B or heal C, or combine spell M with bundle N, you get to something awesome. In combat, you start off with a relatively minor impact because you have to set all these synergies up rather than being able to alpha-strike like some other professions could, but you can build yourself up and take over once more front-end-loaded builds have blown their stack.

The problem is, I don’t think that’s something that can really work in GW2’s architecture – the tools just don’t seem to be there, and every time I think about how to make a ritualist work in GW2’s architecture, it tends to come back to something quite similar to the engineer (bundles are like kits, skills that key off having a spirit nearby are like activated abilities on turrets… main difference would be something like being able to give allies weapons a la elementalist conjures, and that’s something that could easily fit the engineer anyway). Which probably isn’t too surprising, since what the Factions team was really looking for with the ritualist was to make something that played like an engineer, but didn’t rely on technology that hadn’t been invented in Tyria in 1072AE.

So in order to make the ritualist work as a GW2 profession, it’d probably need to establish a different playstyle that still fits the theme… and which isn’t simply a rebranding of some other profession’s playstyle.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

(edited by draxynnic.3719)

in Lore

Posted by: thejoedude.3465

thejoedude.3465

i have been waiting for GW2 to make a major content patch/game extension sometime, but with more classes and races i think it would be really awesome to see the tengu added and a amphibious class added as well, in the direction of professions i think it would be really cool to see a class or two that was mostly a support class, like a marksman or a class that can give lots of buffs to allies, or give lots of debuffs to enemies, and most of all a class or two that does not revolve around DPS, because playing a class that has huge DPS does get a little boring after a while, its fun to challenge and test your skill in other games, not just get to a guy and beat him up as fast and effectively as you can, it just gets a little boring after a while.

in Lore

Posted by: fetchbot.6870

fetchbot.6870

in my honest opinion i just want to see a Dervish style game play back i.e. physical aoe, boon strip, physical crowd control adaptability and versatility… I was really reluctant to even play GW2 to begin with even GW1 until i saw the ritualist… Have you ever played against the guy in PvP as a Rt/P? guy was a complete boss if they did it correctly. But hopefully with whatever ANet decides i hope they get away from this set skill nonsense… I dont know about you guys but i like being able to play with skills i unlock and making something out of an empty 10 slot skill bar and customize as i go not just get stuck with the same skills or use someone elses build like in GW1… I want my character to be mine, different and unique, not similar to some one else

in Lore

Posted by: bobbles.5940

bobbles.5940

Tengu (looking back at the race in GW1 ) can have a variety of feather patterns and colouration so that would work.
The problem I have with Kodan as a playable race is character customisation. A polar bear is after all a polar bear and white , so wouldn’t every Kodan player all be just white furred and hence everyone would pretty much look the same ? Pretty boring imo.
Largos (as far as we have seen them ingame) suffer with the same problem as the Kodan, they all look the same or at least very similar

in Lore

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Tengu (looking back at the race in GW1 ) can have a variety of feather patterns and colouration so that would work.
The problem I have with Kodan as a playable race is character customisation. A polar bear is after all a polar bear and white , so wouldn’t every Kodan player all be just white furred and hence everyone would pretty much look the same ? Pretty boring imo.
Largos (as far as we have seen them ingame) suffer with the same problem as the Kodan, they all look the same or at least very similar

What? There Can’t be Kodiak Kodan and be Bigger, and Brown in coloration? There can’t be a subrace that has looks and markings more similar to a Sun bear? They can;t have Tiger stripes and different varieties of Snouts, Fangs, Ears, Scars, etc? Just because every single Kodan uses the same 5 lo-poly models (in comparison to player models) doesn’t meant there can’t be more visual variety in the future.

in Lore

Posted by: Maethor.2810

Maethor.2810

Tengu are, honestly, most likely to be the next race they release for play whenever they do. They were already working to make them a playable race for launch when they were developing the game but had to cut back on races. The Dominion of Winds was to be their starter zone.

~Signe Grimsdottir | Wynne Everheart | Magiere Massing~
The Archivist’s Sanctum [Lore] – Just Us Grown-Ups [JUGS]

in Lore

Posted by: Nicholas S Lin.6187

Nicholas S Lin.6187

Tengu might be the best positioned as the next playable race but in terms of Lore progression at this point are not a natural fit. In fact I don’t see a point to them at all due to the progression of Lore since the start of the “Living Story” content.

I have put forward the Kodan and the Dredge as the best two to be add. I believe they both should be add at the same release. They would fit in a expansion release that involves the Far Shiverpeaks+Jormag content.

I would suggest that this is one of the most logical choice as a 1st real expansion content.

in Lore

Posted by: Bellyboomer.3048

Bellyboomer.3048

The current professions seem to have been carefully balanced out and cover all bases. For that reason, I think we’ll see a new race before we see a new profession. But Before that…

NEW WEAPONS!

There are some issues with this: new weapons could require new traits. In order to expand the traitsystem anet will either have to get rid of some traits or increase the amount of traitpoints we’re given and therefor perhaps also the levelcap…
In my opinion they would also have to make sure they release a couple of weapons at the time so that each profession gets a new one but they don’t all have to share the same weapon.
And of course it would take a lot of time making all the new models.

My candidates are:

Knuckles: awesome when dualwielded but could also make cool offhand weapons (punching your foe in the face during a swordfight)/ Imagine mesmers with this, illusions ganging up on a foe and beating it like a bunch of hoodlums.

Flail/whip: both are awesome, a flail is like an upgraded version of the mace and strikes fear into your foes hearts, whip would be more of an elegant ranger weapon.

Quarterstaff/baton: for the eastern vibe, would be fitting for both spellcasters and skullbashers.

Blowpipe: like the Hyleck, would do some neat condition dmg.

I’d have this set of weapons (at least the quarterstaff and the knuckles) introduced together with the Tengu: new eastern culture→ new eastern fighting styles.
I can’t seem to think of a weapon fitting for the engi yet, perhaps a cannon or something…?

Okay, now you forum! Any thoughts on this?

in Lore

Posted by: Aerick Blackmoore.8167

Aerick Blackmoore.8167

Tengu as a race would be great !

Same goes for Hylek and Centaur from Elona, other races im not too sure.

New classes, I don’t know how well they would manage balance wise, new weapons seems more vialbe, Whips for instance