Recently started lore-focused let's play!

in Lore

Posted by: TheFishSlappee.4709

TheFishSlappee.4709

About a month ago I started uploading a playthrough/let’s play of the Guild Wars 2 personal story line for a Charr thief called Subtlenose. My goal for the series is to get as immersed in the lore of the GW universe as I can by talking to as many NPCs as I can and to really get to know the characters in the beautiful world Arenanet have created.

Playlist so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxlGO29i_Qc&list=PL63kMM9_Mvz4YAGdXXFZKDm7boUrHslmx

However, I am fairly new to making videos on YouTube and game commentary and I would really appreciate any feedback from the community. Also, let me know if you think this is a good idea or not.

Thanks for anything and everything!

in Lore

Posted by: Underdark.3726

Underdark.3726

wait for the PS fix or you will miss a big part of the story.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

^definitely agree with that, although you should be able to play at least through the level 50 personal story stuff without a problem. Going to start watching now, but I think the idea is a very cool one.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

TheFishSlappee.4709

But is the personal story fix even confirmed? And when will it happen then?

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

The fix is confirmed, and it’ll apply to anyone who hasn’t completed A Light In The Darkness (in the middle of the level 60 chapter), but we don’t have a date yet. That said, it’s ArenaNet policy not to talk about something until it’s almost ready for release, so I’m optimistic that it’ll come soon enough to not impact your schedule too badly.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

TheFishSlappee.4709

Alright cool. I’m just starting the lvl 20 stuff so I think I should be fine for a while, right?

in Lore

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Alright cool. I’m just starting the lvl 20 stuff so I think I should be fine for a while, right?

Yes, just stop at A Light in the Darkness (level 60)

in Lore

Posted by: BobbyStein

BobbyStein

Guild Wars 2 Narrative Lead

Next

This is good advice. While I don’t have a firm release date to share just yet, I do recommend that you wait until the Personal Story is restored (with minor improvements) before playing into chapter 6.

I’ll be making a post in the next couple of weeks that will give more details on what changes the update will include.

Edit: Also, thanks for playing. Looking forward to seeing the videos. Are you playing on NA or EU servers?

in Lore

TheFishSlappee.4709

Alright, cool! I’ll be waiting for that post.

And I’m playing on EU, Piken Square!

in Lore

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

This is good advice. While I don’t have a firm release date to share just yet, I do recommend that you wait until the Personal Story is restored (with minor improvements) before playing into chapter 6.

I’ll be making a post in the next couple of weeks that will give more details on what changes the update will include.

Edit: Also, thanks for playing. Looking forward to seeing the videos. Are you playing on NA or EU servers?

Any chance of the PS reward changes being reverted as well?

in Lore

Posted by: balwin.1435

balwin.1435

Do I understand this right: Do you refer to the story part depending on your “greatest fear”? Will these story missions (which are depending on the answer during “A Light in the Darkness” and originally taken a big portion in the part 7 of the personal story and are currently not accessable) be playable again in the near future?

in Lore

Previous

BobbyStein

Next

Do I understand this right: Do you refer to the story part depending on your “greatest fear”? Will these story missions (which are depending on the answer during “A Light in the Darkness” and originally taken a big portion in the part 7 of the personal story and are currently not accessable) be playable again in the near future?

Yes. We’re restoring the My Greatest Fear story steps, restoring chapter 8 to its original order, and improving a few things along the way. I’ll be making an official forum post with more details soon.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I was kind of hoping it’d be in this upcoming update – along with the trait changes Colin mentioned a bit back.

Shame.

BTW, Trahearne has the aggro line “die by my blade!” before he gets Caladbolg (he said it in my sylvari C2 storyline the other day). Seems kind of weird when he’s wielding a staff.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

Yes. We’re restoring the My Greatest Fear story steps, restoring chapter 8 to its original order, and improving a few things along the way. I’ll be making an official forum post with more details soon.

i don’t suppose that since the PC VAs are back recording, we could get a polish pass on some… err… lesser performances? *cough*nornfemale*cough* and fix the “hold the line” shout too, since the whole problem with it was one of the VAs read it as “hold this line”.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

Previous

BobbyStein

Next

BTW, Trahearne has the aggro line “die by my blade!” before he gets Caladbolg (he said it in my sylvari C2 storyline the other day). Seems kind of weird when he’s wielding a staff.

That’s one of the lines we’ve rewritten.

in Lore

Previous

BobbyStein

Next

i don’t suppose that since the PC VAs are back recording, we could get a polish pass on some… err… lesser performances? *cough*nornfemale*cough* and fix the “hold the line” shout too, since the whole problem with it was one of the VAs read it as “hold this line”.

That won’t be part of this particular update. That stated, I want to review and update PC chatter for the expansion if there’s time. Some of those lines weren’t written particularly well, or they trigger too frequently, or the performance was off so I’d like to fix them.

in Lore

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

Die by my…hands!

That won’t be part of this particular update. That stated, I want to review and update PC chatter for the expansion if there’s time. Some of those lines weren’t written particularly well, or they trigger too frequently, or the performance was off so I’d like to fix them.

If you ever do, please don’t touch April Stewart’s stuff. Her voice acting is impeccable.

I feel like professions in general need more chatter, though, so long as it isn’t ridiculously frequent. Elites across all professions feel like they deserve some chatter, Mesmers and how they shatter, etc.

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

oh i’d never expect it to come before HoT, if at all. it’s just that some PCs, primarily the female norn PC, have… faulty deliveries (not only on their dialogue, but their random combat/exploration blabbering) that could use a second take. in fact, it’s the main reason i’ve stayed away from the female norn for so long, despite loving the norn culture, armor, and jora (why i don’t go for male norn? i tried, but they’re just too bulky for me :P).

i’m just glad to know it’s something you’re looking into, even if it might never get past wishful thinking.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Stupid real world time constraints! Well let’s hope that you’ll be able to.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Oh, I know.

I’m just saying it’s weird that it triggers when he isn’t using a blade. And that feels a bit off.

Would it be possible to use the old aggro/death/deaggro lines for before A Light in the Darkness, and the new ones (which feel more confident-filled) after? I think it’d match his personality evolution better, though few would notice the change I’m sure. Still, to those who do catch it – just like for those who catch all the other small awesome things (like Caudecus’ face being made out of the floating stones in his garden at the right angle) – would find it awesome for the attention to detail.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

TheFishSlappee.4709

So excited for this. I’ve been revisiting a lot of the lore from launch in preparation for the expansion but all my characters stop the Personal Story at Claw Island because of the MIA chapters. I want a comprehensive and cohesive run through so I don’t miss anything.

Still, there is plenty of juicy stuff that’s intact in the sylvari early Personal Story (would be awesome if we could access this stuff without creating a new character) and I’ve been doing a playthrough of Prophecies, Eye of the North, War in Kryta, the BMP and the books to refresh my memory on pre-GW2 plot threads I want to see in Maguuma (I’m more excited to see Livia than anything else, it really felt like she was set up to be important in GW2 and we didn’t hear from her at all in GW2 – unless she is Anise).

I really hope HoT draws heavily from GW1, if Season 2 is anything to go by it will.

@ OP There is plenty of story content still intact for a let’s play, I don’t think anything before Claw Island is broken or missing so you should be fine for a while. If you want to make it relevant to the current plots in Season 2 and the expansion, there is quite a lot of dungeon and open world stuff you can look into, maybe even highlight some GW1 plots relating to Glint, Mursaat, Ventari or Maguuma.

I’m planning on doing all the dungeons focusing ofc on lore and I’m reading the books as we speak so that I can hopefully follow up on some interesting plots there. Could you give examples of the open world stuff you mentioned? And thanks for the feedback!

in Lore

Previous

BobbyStein

Next

Oh, I know.

I’m just saying it’s weird that it triggers when he isn’t using a blade. And that feels a bit off.

Would it be possible to use the old aggro/death/deaggro lines for before A Light in the Darkness, and the new ones (which feel more confident-filled) after? I think it’d match his personality evolution better, though few would notice the change I’m sure. Still, to those who do catch it – just like for those who catch all the other small awesome things (like Caudecus’ face being made out of the floating stones in his garden at the right angle) – would find it awesome for the attention to detail.

This is a good idea, and one that we considered during the initial review pass. It required extra design implementation to pull off (you have to create a whole new chatter package for the NPC and swap out some references in script, etc.). For now we’re just redoing his line to work regardless of what weapon he’s holding. In the future, though, it’s something to consider for when we’re updating how we handle NPC chatter. It would be great if characters were more self-aware of these kinds of things.

in Lore

Posted by: Risa Aerulight.3914

Risa Aerulight.3914

No. Please no. I was so happy when I recently played through personal story on an alt and discovered that step was skipped. It’s a terrible step – one that makes your character feel even more ‘scripted’. It was nice to get through this stuff faster too, to get that green stuff off the top of my upper right corner. Speaking of which, has it been considered at all to give us a way to tick off showing the green star stuff at the top? You can minimize it every time you load a zone, but it’s still there cluttering up space and it gets tedious to have to click it every time. It’s also irritating to have to complete the personal story more than once in the first place as the story is the same no matter what you choose, so there is no meaning at all to any of the “choices” you make. It’s even worse now that Living World Season 2 was added to the green star functionality, I was dismayed when I realized the star wasn’t leaving after I went to all the effort to clear it off yet again. An option to just hide it indefinitely would be super nice – an even better option would be to make personal story/living world have an option to be account based completion – so alts can opt in rather than have to trudge through it individually to clear the notifications/or shorter put: opt out. I find opting in a better option than opting out.

in Lore

Previous

BobbyStein

Speaking of which, has it been considered at all to give us a way to tick off showing the green star stuff at the top?

We have a feature called the Content Guide that allows you to customize what is shown in the upper right. You can disable Personal Story tracking from the General Options menu.

http://imgur.com/a/MeybQ

in Lore

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Hmm… this sounds like we are getting new PC voice for the expansion? I should probably have seen it coming, but it’s good to hear. It’s been a while.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

in Lore

Posted by: raptor.1064

raptor.1064

Speaking of which, has it been considered at all to give us a way to tick off showing the green star stuff at the top?

We have a feature called the Content Guide that allows you to customize what is shown in the upper right. You can disable Personal Story tracking from the General Options menu.

http://imgur.com/a/MeybQ

this is pretty useless, I want to turn personal story in the corner off completely, no green star or text visible at all

the personal story is awful and I never want to see or do it again

in Lore

Posted by: Saucermote.9140

Saucermote.9140

I agree, and turning off the option for the personal story in the content guide does nothing to turn off the Giant Green star in the upper right hand corner. The only thing to date that gets rid of it is finishing the personal story, which of course is gated behind Arah Story mode. Please, consider having an option to disable this star, especially if you’ve completed the story on at least one of your other characters.

The content guide just disables the arrows that direct you how to get to the personal story location, doesn’t help with screen clutter.

You don’t win friends with Salad.

in Lore

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

We have a feature called the Content Guide that allows you to customize what is shown in the upper right.

Can we get an option for the Content Guide that only displays events in the zone? I hadn’t realized until last night that the “New Challenges await you in [next zone].” that comes up after you’ve finished one zone prevents the guide from displaying nearby events.