Resettling of Orr

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: Khyron.8735

Khyron.8735

So now that Zhaitan is “dead” and Orr cleansed, who will settle there? The land is perfectly viable aside from being covered in coral and giant stone rings. Those corpses everywhere will surely fertilize the ground. Will the humans stake a claim since Orr was populated by humans? Will the charr claim it since they were in the middle of conquering it when it exploded? Perhaps a multinational nation along the lines of Lions Arch? What are your opinions?

Ad majorem gloriam! Ad infinitum!

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

I think the Pact will keep it under control.
The DSD and Kralk are both to the west and east, so it’s a pretty good staging ground for expeditions to the Sea of Sorrows and Crystal Desert

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: Excelliate.7914

Excelliate.7914

Palawa Joko will grab it. He wanted it when Zhaitan was there, and now that the only opposing force is gone, it’ll be easy to just walk in and take it.

Regnum Ascalon [RegA] ~~ Dragonbrand

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

Orly?
That’s interesting, did not know that tidbit
It would also be nice to see him outside of Elona, however I think he’d make his move after Kralk moves out first

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Yeah, it seems to make more sense that it will eventually become more of a multi-cultural civilization eventually. I mean humanity has seemed to cut off all ties to Orr because of the constant attacks from orrian undead in both games. And the Charr have enough issues to handle, with the dragonbrand, ogres, flame legion and Ascalonian ghosts. I mean the last thing they want to inherit is possible DSD minions, Branded Minions, and Joko’s Undead in a completely ‘uncivilized’ land.

It makes more sense to me that the pact would continue to own that land for a while, and it would grow into a multi-cultural metropolis, perhaps tied in with LA, or perhaps of it’s own, being closer tied to the pact.

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

world heritage site?

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I think the sylvari might claim it as their own, right now they kind of lease out asuran lands as their home, plus most of them have sworn to restore and protect all lands, so naturally it should become their new home. Also should some nasty residual bits of zhaitan power be left lying around they would be resistant to it. Btw where was it ever mentioned Palwa Joko was after Orr/Arah?

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Nothing says it. Though it makes sense that he would look for new acquisitions in the area of a current power vacuum. Not to mention it may be possible for him to steal their allegiance after Zhaitan’s death. We do not know what kind of control his minions really have, and/or how long it will last.

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: Maloy.1249

Maloy.1249

Too many corpses does not fertilize the ground it kills it. Just like too much of anything can kill you.

I don’t think they will put some happy go luck multi-national and multi-cultural civilization in Orr so early on. It is just a bit stupid so early on.

Possibly they will install fortresses to keep the undead populations under control(their were a lot of the buggers!)

I like what the one guy said about Palawa Joko it would certainly make things more interesting, lets bring back real villains not cosmic powers!

Also, why is the enemy always undead?

Either way I hope ArenaNet keeps the area interesting.

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: WarriorOfAsgard.3705

WarriorOfAsgard.3705

Nothing says it. Though it makes sense that he would look for new acquisitions in the area of a current power vacuum. Not to mention it may be possible for him to steal their allegiance after Zhaitan’s death. We do not know what kind of control his minions really have, and/or how long it will last.

I would guess the death of the master would have one of two possible outcomes.
1. The existing minions (in this case Risen) would die. – I find this theory rather anti-climactic.
2. The existing minions would continue to operate at a basic level and the potential threat would diminish as they are killed off. – I find this to be more likely. Once the minions are gone, I would expect the Pact to retain control of the region as a staging ground against Kralkatorrik and they would also continue working to revert the corruption as was done at Artesian Waters. The waters flowed out from there throughout the rest of Orr but I expect some pockets of corruption to remain in isolated areas.

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: Alex the Precise.3654

Alex the Precise.3654

I suspect that the pact will retain a strong presence in Orr and that a large number of Sylvari will set up a community there. They seem like they would have the best chance of healing the land due to their immunity to corruption. Also, they must think of their wylde hunts. So many of the Sylvari that we meet in the story have wylde hunts revolving around Orr.

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

I do not think they modify Orr.

New players arriving could not do their missions, as we have done, or should they then instantiate Orr before they go up is because all paths Arah!
Is only in the case they would join high lvl land change, as at the beginning of human history, or rejoingnent players at the beginning of the adventure. And we join with them by grouping and accepting entered the area with them …

Too complicated in fact = ’)

# Asura because I’m worth it!

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Well I believe we know that the minions don’t die off as the master dies, because after Zhaitan’s death you still have to fight Risen in Arah, at the very least the Giganticus Lupicus. There is also the option of them becoming ‘masterless’, and thus hostile to anything not of their kind (which would honestly be more of the same.)

I am interested if we will be able to see the forgotten ritual performed on some well known undead of the past and gain some more insight into Orr from them. Because it would be cool to get some lore from a first hand source.

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Personally, I’d expect any resettling of Orr to primarily be a mix of human and sylvari. Humans because they’d naturally want to reclaim and restore their holy city, and sylvari because they have an interest in restoring the land.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: BunnytheSwordsman.4173

BunnytheSwordsman.4173

Honestly, with Zhaitan gone, a lot of doors have opened up. I don’t expect it to be settled, anytime soon with Joko and Kralk to the east. It’d be interesting to see the Pact face off against Joko’s corrupted Sunspears, though. Heck, maybe even see the Pact under the same threat that lead to the demise of the Sunspears.

Other doors opened up are:

1. Cantha’s no longer physically blocked. Assuming that Usoku’s isolationist policy has not lightened in the 250 years since GW1, though, we won’t be getting help from them anytime soon.

2. The Tengu were waiting to see which side to join, in the war against the dragons. I recall a Tengu Blacksmith is involved with the Pact, so we may have some good things from them coming soon.

As for what happens when all the dragons are dead? I can see Orr becoming sort of the Durmand Priory’s ultimate fantasy-land and it’ll become just this major research site. That or it’ll become the next Lion’s Arch, because it is more or less in the center of all the regions. Honestly, Orr is a dead country. Best let the dead rest.

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: Rovus.5428

Rovus.5428

I remember hearing somewhere in the game that killing Zhaitan would not end all of the Risen. Killing him would only stop the mass-production of the Risen. And who knows? The Risen might have their own ways of creating more undead creatures.

“Subtus pennas meas, pinnas meas interitum”

Alatum Interitum

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: Sernius Alathar.6538

Sernius Alathar.6538

I suppose it would depend primarily on the dissipation of residual Necromatic energies from Zhaitan that would affect the surrounding land, it may last longer or shorter even depending on how the latent energies from the artesian well effect it.

Do the Risen remain animated? Only the Generals of Zhaitan had their own sense of sentience because the spirits of the Kings and Queens of Orr were bound to them. (though I do hesitate on that as they stated the Eyes where, but not the Mouths). Traditional Lich’s are created by the creatures own necromatic energy hence being able to continue their own existence (Rotscale, Palawa Joko and Vizier Khilbron to a minor degree as examples).

The unilateral agreement created by the Orders would allow for more resources to help clean up the risen now, and the new anti-necromatic technology created by the Pact I imagine the clean up wont take so long. It will then be a case of Who uncovers the history and the rest of the secrets of Orr, in this case I would imagine it would be the Orders over any Civilian form of authority.

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

The humans have an active interest in resettling orr if just for the reclaimation of the temples. I think NPCs in Orr even make a point about how the Temples are going to get looked after because the humans have a big interest in retaking them.

They are also still major holy site. Not that in Grenth’s temple we have the first time in 250 years of contact with one of the God’s agents. One of Grenth’s Reapers actually turns up. That alone makes the temples significant even if we do ignore the latent power that seems to exist in the temples.

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

As for what happens when all the dragons are dead? I can see Orr becoming sort of the Durmand Priory’s ultimate fantasy-land and it’ll become just this major research site.

This seems the most likely. At first it’ll be fortresses and fortified outposts, then maybe a few people will go there to try their luck. More people will come and in 200 years or so, it may become repopulated.

But the average Tyrian has no reason to go to Orr yet. Safe places like Lion’s Arch or the capitals are dangerous enough. Why would you trek halfway across the world to the source of most of your problems, if you’re just an average Joe the Farmer?

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: Zoe.6230

Zoe.6230

I think that Orr would become a memorial to the dead. It’s hard to settle some place where so much war and death happened, but it happens, I mean people rebuilt and live in Hiroshima after the bombing so why not Orr?

As far as the bodies fertilizing the ground…maybe it would but I wouldn’t to eat anything that came out of “human compost”

I’m not going to pretend that I know everything about farming but after the major tsunami a few years ago they had to ban the locals from catching and eating the fish because of the likely possibility that they had feasted on the dead and would therefore be unhealthy for humans. Wouldn’t soil work in a similar way?

Sorry for the macabre post.

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

It’d probably be fine to grow crops from, since any diseases in the bodies aren’t likely to transfer to a plant and back again. Plus, the ritual at the Artesian Well was intended to restore the life of Orr – I’d be surprised if one of the effects of that ritual was not to clear any lingering poisons in the soil.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Resettling of Orr

in Lore

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Don’t forget the continent was below sea level for 200 years. The ground is completely salted. Settling Orr would be like Napoleon capturing Moskva.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto