Revenants

Revenants

in Lore

Posted by: MiGFiD.1760

MiGFiD.1760

I’m really not sure how this class fits in with the lore. I’m not even sure we should be the “commander” or anything while being a Revenant. If I remember correctly, Rytlock was the first. The first appearance of the Revenant took place after the events of the fall of Zhaitan, meaning that there is no way that we could become a Revenant before becoming the “commander”.

I can kind of see this class being a merge between Guild Wars Faction’s classes: ritualist and assassin. I think that the revenant should have been a specialization of whatever you call a mix of ritualist and assassin, instead of the Herald.

Revenants

in Lore

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Well Rytlock becoming a Revenant basically caused a “wave” across the Mists. Inside the Mists, all of what we can assume is the source of Space/Time is housed there (since we can see battles that already happened, and things that may happen). So him opening the ‘box’ (or whatever it was) that caused him to gain his powers basically hit across the entire Mists, giving more and more the power of Revenants. He was the first in all of existence to gain the power, and it spread to the rest of existence.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Revenants

in Lore

Posted by: MiGFiD.1760

MiGFiD.1760

Well Rytlock becoming a Revenant basically caused a “wave” across the Mists. Inside the Mists, all of what we can assume is the source of Space/Time is housed there (since we can see battles that already happened, and things that may happen). So him opening the ‘box’ (or whatever it was) that caused him to gain his powers basically hit across the entire Mists, giving more and more the power of Revenants. He was the first in all of existence to gain the power, and it spread to the rest of existence.

Ah, so it’s like changing the past while in the future?

Revenants

in Lore

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Anet said that in GW2 a character’s profession has no influence on that character’s story. This was true for the original 8 professions and it’s true for the Revenant. Relatedly none of the professions really has a lot of lore to them (at least not in GW2, they did in GW1 and in pre-GW2 interviews and blogs and the like).

The most we got concerning Revenants was this: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/hidden-arcana-role-playing-the-revenant/

Revenants

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Yeah, that’s the most “plausible” explanation.
The other being that Rytlock is the first Herald and not aRevenant.

Otherwise he is certainly an anomaly

Revenants

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

The attitude I’ve had is that a revenant PC was some other profession before Rytlock arrived, and they switched under Rytlock’s tutelage. We don’t see that mechanistically because that would be… rather awkward.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Revenants

in Lore

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

The attitude I’ve had is that a revenant PC was some other profession before Rytlock arrived, and they switched under Rytlock’s tutelage. We don’t see that mechanistically because that would be… rather awkward.

This is my attitude to it. Theres plenty of things that are different mechanically to what they are lore-wise, for example, certain NPCs have different appearances, weapons and even professions to what are described in lore. The two don’t need to be 100% seamless.

Ive written my Revenant character to have been a Warrior before becoming a Revenant. Obviously theres no in-game representation of that, because game mechanics don’t exist to show it. When playing a fantasy-themed game, imagination is paramount to avoid kitten over timeline discontinuity.

Revenants

in Lore

RyuDragnier.9476

Ah, so it’s like changing the past while in the future?

At its core, yes. When HoT was first coming out, everybody joked that Rytlock was Tyria’s Dr Who, simply because of this time/space shenanigans.

[hS]

Revenants

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

While theoretically sound, don’t say it as if it is fact.

Because it isn’t.

This has been my take on it too.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Revenants

in Lore

RyuDragnier.9476

While theoretically sound, don’t say it as if it is fact.

Because it isn’t.

Until ANET states how it works, it’s fan theory for how this works. But their statement that “Rytlock is the first Revenant” can easily lead to the thought that if Revenants can appear before he becomes one but yet he’s the first, that time/space shenanigans at work.

[hS]

Revenants

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I believe they’ve also said that the players being revenants before Rytlock goes into the Mists isn’t a canon lore thing, though.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Revenants

in Lore

RyuDragnier.9476

I believe they’ve also said that the players being revenants before Rytlock goes into the Mists isn’t a canon lore thing, though.

They have? I don’t remember that statement. Was it the same interview with them stating that Rytlock is the first Revenant?

[hS]

Revenants

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Nah, if I’m remembering correctly it was on reddit.

Dear ANet writers,

Revenants

in Lore

RyuDragnier.9476

That would explain why I never saw it. I don’t do reddit, never have really.

[hS]