[SPOILERS] Lore doesn't make sense?

in Lore

Posted by: Animism.9803

Animism.9803

So…

The destroyers are of a hive mind to the Great Destroyer, under influence of Primordus.
The dwarves invoked the great dwarf to beat the Great Destroyer at the end of EOTN, ending the destroyers, and in turn ending their species.

How are there destroyers in the LS3 E2 scene?

Made a new Great Destroyer? or what.. Poor little buggers died for nothing?

P.S I’m glad on returning to find that the Mursaat have been reintroduced, even if as a shadow of what they should be.

The mursaat are the most powerful ancient race aside from dragons as far as I know, only caring about their own survival as a merit to their intelligence, fleeing from the world as they would be unable to defeat the dragons. I seriously expect the character to betray everyone upon gaining some protection to the dragons, control or power over, or it doesn’t fit the race at all. This guy should be in the scene essentially bored with such menial conversation, giving short logical answers.

FYI. I haven’t been playing this game for a while, not sure I can really get the motivation to play it again. But I am watching the scenes on youtube to see where the lore direction is going, for if I may ever want to return (if it picks up pace and flow, a lot)

in Lore

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Primordus can create Destroyers at any time as far as we know. They never went extinct.

in Lore

Animism.9803

Primordus can create Destroyers at any time. They never went extinct.

But they were a hive mind under The Great Destroyer.
Think of TGD as central command, Primordus the big bad boss.

Can’t exactly have hive-troops without a controller, which was implied to be TGD and not Primordus, unless the rules of speciation have suddenly changed to reintroduce the race for the sake of it.

in Lore

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The Wiki says this;

“Instead of corrupting living beings, Primordus and its champions seem to prefer to create minions solely of earth and fire, usually spawning them in pools of lava, and they are created in mockery of living creatures”

“However, it turns out that the Great Destroyer is merely a general and champion of the Elder Dragon Primordus.”

So both create Destroyers and The GD could command independetly, but Dragons are always the over arching “intelligence” if you like. There are likely more Champions/Lieutenants though.

in Lore

Animism.9803

The Wiki says this;

“Instead of corrupting living beings, Primordus and its champions seem to prefer to create minions solely of earth and fire, usually spawning them in pools of lava, and they are created in mockery of living creatures”

“However, it turns out that the Great Destroyer is merely a general and champion of the Elder Dragon Primordus.”

So both create Destroyers and The GD could command independetly, but Dragons are always the over arching “intelligence” if you like. There are likely more Champions/Lieutenants though.

Exactly. It must imply that there is a new general / Great Destroyer. The hive species of the destroyers can’t function without a controller, which was the GD, and did not continue on its death.

Either that, or the ‘rules’ of the destroyers needing a controller has changed, i.e direct from Primordus, although that seems a little arbitrary given the end of them in EOTN.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

The Wiki says this;

Exactly. It must imply that there is a new general / Great Destroyer. The hive species of the destroyers can’t function without a controller, which was the GD, and did not continue on its death.

Either that, or the ‘rules’ of the destroyers needing a controller has changed, i.e direct from Primordus, although that seems a little arbitrary given the end of them in EOTN.

They can, and did, continue to function after the Great Destroyer’s death. They just lost their direction. To quote from the end of EOTN: “With the death of their master, the Destroyers lost their coordination. Jalis and his Dwarves pursued them into the depths of the earth.” They didn’t stop functioning, and they didn’t even stop fighting, but they did stop fighting smart. Most of the destroyers we see in GW2 are like that, I think: milling around without direction or specific purpose.

And yes, Primordus has replaced the Great Destroyer a few times, although mostly with lesser leaders who aren’t as powerful and who seem to control smaller areas. The Destroyer of Life in the novels, the Destroyer Queen in the PS, and the Destroyer of Hope in the latest patch all seem to be examples of this.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Animism.9803

Ah nice, didn’t know the lower part.

Man I feel bad for the Dwarves now. Should’ve just contained the destroyers and let the dwarv species survive properly

in Lore

Posted by: maxwelgm.4315

maxwelgm.4315

The ancient dwarves survived a previous dragonrise and lived among the Jotun, Seers, Forgotten and Mursaat as one of the great elder races. They occupied a lot of the Shiverpeaks and had what were probably very impressive fortifications at the time, also they were industrious like the Charr and had many tech capabilities. Do not let EOTN fool you that they were “just there”. What we saw with Ogden and Jalis was a mere glimpse of what the dwarves used to be; their time has come and gone and we were only there for the last couple minutes of their story, unfortunately.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

So…

The destroyers are of a hive mind to the Great Destroyer, under influence of Primordus.
The dwarves invoked the great dwarf to beat the Great Destroyer at the end of EOTN, ending the destroyers, and in turn ending their species.

How are there destroyers in the LS3 E2 scene?

Made a new Great Destroyer? or what.. Poor little buggers died for nothing?

You misunderstand.

All dragon minions have a hive mind under the Elder Dragon, but it is the dragon champions that direct them. When the Elder Dragons are sleeping, they have even less control over their minions, though their hive mind and enslavement of will still functions. In GW1, the Great Destroyer was the only dragon champion (for Primordus) that was around – so with its death the Destroyers became effectively mindless as they usually are. In GW2, any time a dragon champion is killed, the nearby dragon minions become effectively mindless until they wander near another dragon champion (and when assaults are happening, they retreat with no coordination).

Primordus has been awake for 200 years. In just 100 years, Zhaitan created hundreds of dragon champions. We know that Primordus had created the Destroyer of Life, Destroyer Queen, and Destroyer of Worlds that were all destroyed, but there are no doubt hundreds of more destroyer dragon champions out there.

I would argue that the Molten Dominator would be one such dragon champion leading some destroyers.

P.S I’m glad on returning to find that the Mursaat have been reintroduced, even if as a shadow of what they should be.

“Should be”? They were brought to nigh extinction in GW1. If they had returned in great numbers, it would be lore that doesn’t make sense.

The mursaat are the most powerful ancient race aside from dragons as far as I know, only caring about their own survival as a merit to their intelligence, fleeing from the world as they would be unable to defeat the dragons. I seriously expect the character to betray everyone upon gaining some protection to the dragons, control or power over, or it doesn’t fit the race at all. This guy should be in the scene essentially bored with such menial conversation, giving short logical answers.

I agree until the end – mursaat were never “essentially bored with such menial conversation” and if Lazarus’ intention is to trick the Commander than giving full fledged conversations is a necessity to make the plot make sense.

Primordus can create Destroyers at any time. They never went extinct.

But they were a hive mind under The Great Destroyer.
Think of TGD as central command, Primordus the big bad boss.

Can’t exactly have hive-troops without a controller, which was implied to be TGD and not Primordus, unless the rules of speciation have suddenly changed to reintroduce the race for the sake of it.

Better analogy:

Think of Primordus as the central command, and the Great Destroyer – and all the other dragon champions – as nodes that relay those commands with clarity.

Elder Dragons are the ultimate controller. Dragon champions just do direct, short range, controls

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Animism.9803

Nice, fair enough. I agree with most of what you say now.

“Should be”? They were brought to nigh extinction in GW1. If they had returned in great numbers, it would be lore that doesn’t make sense.

I mean more a shadow of what they were in relation to how he acts, as they aren’t exactly interested in communication with other races, yet as you say he is tricking the commander. I just felt his explanations were overboard for a race with the biggest superiority complex ever. Even Rytlock is more cynical.

I’d be interested to know if the Seer’s protection against the Mursaat was passed on beyond that of Prophecies, but I would assume not. Without it, could he not simply slaughter every race on Tyria? He got a ‘power-up’ in the raids or LS3 from the bloodstone, didn’t he? The only war I’ve heard of with the Mursaat was that against the Seers, another powerful race, which seems to have been annihilated. Without that last seer, the prophecy could never have been fulfilled, and Mursaat would be seemingly undeafeatable.

I still find it hard to believe that such an intelligent (can’t forget cowardly!) species would go to their end in such a way. It’s like the Children of the Forest in G.o.T! For such a clever race, it’s seems impossible for some to not have survived in another place. Maybe they fled to another continent? An unknown continent, or deep into the mists where the destroyers can’t catch them in time.

(edited by Animism.9803)

in Lore

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

I’d be interested to know if the Seer’s protection against the Mursaat was passed on beyond that of Prophecies, but I would assume not. Without it, could he not simply slaughter every race on Tyria?

Well i dont think we have the protection spells from the seers from gw1 but we have counter magic (mastery) which apperently is based on the seers protection (or more precise based on asurian research about said protection). So if its about spectral agony, we can counter it. Though i think the whole becoming unseen still works on us.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I mean more a shadow of what they were in relation to how he acts, as they aren’t exactly interested in communication with other races, yet as you say he is tricking the commander. I just felt his explanations were overboard for a race with the biggest superiority complex ever. Even Rytlock is more cynical.

I don’t know where you got that, but nothing ever said they “aren’t exactly interested in communication with other races”.

The fact that they communicated with the Seers/Forgotten/dwarves/jotun and later humans rather disproves you, doesn’kitten

I’d be interested to know if the Seer’s protection against the Mursaat was passed on beyond that of Prophecies, but I would assume not. Without it, could he not simply slaughter every race on Tyria?

In War in Kryta, Zinn created a new version of protection from Spectral Agony, dubbed Spectral Infusion – after WiK, he continued research on it, and Taimi found said research, adapted it slightly, and presented it to the Commander. Thus Ancient Magics Tier 1 mastery was born.

The Commander already has an advanced form of that spectral agony defense, provided with lore explanation and ties to GW1.

I still find it hard to believe that such an intelligent (can’t forget cowardly!) species would go to their end in such a way. It’s like the Children of the Forest in G.o.T! For such a clever race, it’s seems impossible for some to not have survived in another place. Maybe they fled to another continent? An unknown continent, or deep into the mists where the destroyers can’t catch them in time.

The titans hunted the mursaat down. It’s implied that they had a natural defense to spectral agony, like the eidolon did, and could see into the spirit realm (since they themselves were made of spirits) which is implied to be where the mursaat go to become invisible.

It makes perfect sense for the mursaat, who relied almost exclusively on spectral agony and their ‘invisibility’, to be wiped out by a massive and powerful army that had a natural defense/advantage on both.

Not all of them were wiped out, mind you, but so far that number of survivors of the great mursaat purge at the hands of the titans and Prophecies PC (who wiped out most of their military in the mursaat’s attempt to defend the Door of Komalie) was limited to 8… and 7 died in War in Kryta.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.