Scarlet as a Lieutenant? [spoilers]

in Lore

Posted by: xvalkyrie.6742

xvalkyrie.6742

This has to do with the living story to date, so if you haven’t played, don’t read on, I did put the spoiler tag in the title.

I did a google search and nothing immediately came up, does anyone know of a thread where it was discussed that possibly Scarlet was a lieutenant of Mordremoths? Or even just a lower caste corrupted baddy if we/they don’t want to give her a lieutenant title.

She went under that procedure, started hearing voices and going crazy, broke away from the Pale Tree’s protection, and everything she did, she took her thirst for mechamagical knowledge and used it to tap into a leyline reservoir and wake up a dragon (presumably Moredremoth).

I’m starting to wonder if he turned her in his own way, since we haven’t seen him before and don’t know what his lieutenants look like. Primordus creates his, Jormag corrupts them into ice creatures, Zhaitan brought things back from the dead, Kralkatorrik crystalizes creatures, maybe Moredremoth uses mental torment to drive his lieutenants insane and bent to his will?

Destiny’s Edge 1.0 went around murdering lieutenants left and right, maybe this is Destiny’s Edge 2.0’s first lieutenant killing.

Valkyrie – [RMPG] Blackgate
Altaholic, can never have just one!

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Overall it is pretty open.
Lieutnants so far however always had some kind of dragon motive (at least from what we have seen ingame)
The great destroyer folded open to resemble a dragon and all others we have seen were dragon like.
(Zaithans big baddies we fight in the PS did not fall in that category as far as i know, but hold other roles, they were acting as extensions of his body, even though they worked individually)

However we know that if a lieutnant dies, a new one with similiar design will come and take his place (one of the possible explanations why we are able to fight them ingame again and again, but it is a very thin one).

Scarlet was part of the pale tree, so she was corrupted and not created.
All other lieutnants are the embodyment of the dragons power so far, more like it`s spawn, so it would not make sense for Scarlet being a lieutnant, but a tool for the dragon.
More similiar to the traitor mesmer we see in the PS, who willingly converted to Zaithan and sabotaged the pact.

(Also, Scarlet clone army would be nothing i want to face, ugh…)

(did not read the books, so i cannot talk about the depcition there)

in Lore

Posted by: Horst Hortensie.5420

Horst Hortensie.5420

Zhaitan had a lot dragon shaped champions at his side. We fight one in the personal story at Claw Island and three more in the final dungeon. If you are in Orr look up to the sky and you’ll see some more dragons which obviously belong to Zhaitan.

Slow clap for the great puppet player.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Dragon champions are not always dragon shaped.

Eye of Zhaitan. Mouth of Zhaitan. Morgus Lethe. Captain Whiting. These are some non-dragon-shaped dragon champions of Zhaitan.

Dragonspawn. Svanir. Drakkar. These are known non-dragon-shaped dragon champions of Jormag.

Destroyer of Life for Primordus.

So could Scarlet be a dragon champion/lieutenant? Yes, she could be. But she would also be early/weakened corruption if so, simply due to sylvari “immunity” that she would have lost (via Omadd’s machine) if she is corrupted. She holds too much free will, IMO, to be a standard dragon corruption case.

I would compare Scarlet Briar’s possible case of corruption to Kellach’s case more than to a dragon champion though.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I would compare Scarlet Briar’s possible case of corruption to Kellach’s case more than to a dragon champion though.

Maybe. However, Scarlet seemed to be selected to perform a specific task, where Kellach seemed to be more a random incident designed to cause trouble.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Y’know, the aftermath dialogue kind of hints that Scarlet was not corrupted.

In the instance, it’s talked about Scarlet redirecting the ley lines to multiple dragons. Not just one.

So it may be that she was out to empower multiple dragons – perhaps for the same reason she let Thaumanova blow up. She wanted to watch what happened, and learn from it.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: blud.8174

blud.8174

In the instance, it’s talked about Scarlet redirecting the ley lines to multiple dragons. Not just one.

So it may be that she was out to empower multiple dragons – perhaps for the same reason she let Thaumanova blow up. She wanted to watch what happened, and learn from it.

But that ignores the fact that Scarlet was led to do what she did under the influence of someone/something. It’s clear in the breachmaker that her aim was to bring forth Tyria’s new master. It’s possible that she redirected the ley lines to all the dragons, but I would say that her focus was on one.

My take on that part of the instance was that the breachmaker disturbed the ley lines and a consequence of that was that it sent magic surges to the elder dragons.

in Lore

Posted by: Alice.8694

Alice.8694

Basically no…

Either Scarlet accidentally branded herself or she went insane with the revelation that Sylvari are somehow tied to Mordremoth. Either way none of these really grant her the position of a lieutenant.

in Lore

DarcShriek.5829

If I remember correctly the text specifically says she wanted to wake a dragon. Therefore, either she was controlled by the one or there is at lease one dragon that no one is aware of.

in Lore

Posted by: Alice.8694

Alice.8694

To quote the wiki page on Mordremoth:

“The sylvari spent many years travelling the world, studying the engineering secrets of each of the races. Eventually her travels brought her to Rata Sum, where Headmaster Omadd of the College of Synergetics offered her to “see into the Eternal Alchemy itself”. Ceara, unable to resist the opportunity, agreed to the experiment, entering an isolation tank, the purpose of which was ostensibly to shut down the mind’s security system and open it—like opening a door—to welcome in the truths of the Eternal Alchemy. In practice, this exposed her directly to Mordremoth’s influence, and broke her mind."

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

To quote the wiki page on Mordremoth:

“The sylvari spent many years travelling the world, studying the engineering secrets of each of the races. Eventually her travels brought her to Rata Sum, where Headmaster Omadd of the College of Synergetics offered her to “see into the Eternal Alchemy itself”. Ceara, unable to resist the opportunity, agreed to the experiment, entering an isolation tank, the purpose of which was ostensibly to shut down the mind’s security system and open it—like opening a door—to welcome in the truths of the Eternal Alchemy. In practice, this exposed her directly to Mordremoth’s influence, and broke her mind."

First, the wiki is a player edited database. While it is a nice source place to brush up on a subject, not everything can be considered fact on it, unless backed up by a source (ingame, dev, etc.), since anyone can edit the pages.

Secondly, since I haven’t played the epilogue yet, unless it was revealed it was Mordremoth behind her actions the entire time, that would still be player speculation. All we know up until this point is that she has been under the influence of “the Entity”.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

But that ignores the fact that Scarlet was led to do what she did under the influence of someone/something. It’s clear in the breachmaker that her aim was to bring forth Tyria’s new master. It’s possible that she redirected the ley lines to all the dragons, but I would say that her focus was on one.

My take on that part of the instance was that the breachmaker disturbed the ley lines and a consequence of that was that it sent magic surges to the elder dragons.

What if the entity isn’t a Dragon or Dragon champion, but someone intending to utilize the dragon’s for their own gains… Like Kudu and the Inquest are doing. Or the mursaat somewhat did.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

What if the entity isn’t a Dragon or Dragon champion, but someone intending to utilize the dragon’s for their own gains… Like Kudu and the Inquest are doing. Or the mursaat somewhat did.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Blurk.6231

Blurk.6231

I have been thinking about this for the past few days and to be honest I like this much more. If you speak to the Pale Tree she says something strange. I cant remember the exact dialogue so I encourage you to look yourself, but she said Scarlet lost the battle to save her own mind… I just dont find this kind of manipulating someone fitting to my idea of Mordremoth, especially since we already know a dragon like this, Jormag. This makes me think there is more behind it and with more I mean something more complicated than a dragon. Especially with the theory floating around with the White Mantle and the subtle hints that link to their returning activity the Mursaat are still an option as the big manipulator behing Scarlet. It would be so awesome if they can work them into this plot somehow. But the whole Sylvary Dream thing just makes things so complicated to link to something else than the jungle dragon, although there are possibilities, since the White Mantle and the Mursaat were present in the Pale Tree area if I remember correctly so their magic could have somehow twisted the original purpose of the Dream or could have created a weak spot for intuders. We will just have to wait and see. I am desperately looking for more theories that suggest the big bad isnt a dragon, although it is obvious that it will be involved next season, Scarlet may not have been corrupted/influenced by Mordremoth like you said.

So this and the fact that Angel said that the LS season 1 would tie intp existing lore, which kind of contradicts the Mordremoth thing as I dont see the Jungle Dragon no one on Tyria ever heard about as existing lore. Soo yeahh…

Look beyond the obvious…

in Lore

Posted by: Horst Hortensie.5420

Horst Hortensie.5420

6 dragons rose the last time. It quite interesting that even the survivors don’t tell about them. Odgen, Whisper, Jotun and Norn are known as survivors, but none really tells about the things that happened long time ago.

The highest ranked lieutnants of dragons are mostly dragon themselfes. Tequatl, Claw, Shatterer, Glint, … And those mostly woke the elder dragon.

I found the big bad, but I a missing some pieces to decide what is good for Tyria.

Slow clap for the great puppet player.

in Lore

DarcShriek.5829

6 dragons rose the last time. It quite interesting that even the survivors don’t tell about them. Odgen, Whisper, Jotun and Norn are known as survivors, but none really tells about the things that happened long time ago.

The highest ranked lieutnants of dragons are mostly dragon themselfes. Tequatl, Claw, Shatterer, Glint, … And those mostly woke the elder dragon.

I found the big bad, but I a missing some pieces to decide what is good for Tyria.

You left out Drakkar. He created Svanir.

in Lore

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

What happened to Scarlet’s body? Shouldn’t this be an easy question to answer – do an autopsy on Scarlet’s body to see if there is any sign of dragon corruption?

Nothing on the console or monitor in the Breachmaker indicated something went wrong. It’s said that the drill was designed to continue it’s actions even if Scarlet dies. I never got the impression that the drill’s purpose was thwarted or disrupted in any way. Whatever the drill did was exactly what it was supposed to do. It seemed to only send a surge towards one dragon, not multiple ones. Unless she had plans to fly off to another location and start drilling again (I know there is a theory based on the other maps in the control room) it seems her goal in Lion’s Arch was Maguuma Falls dragon and that dragon alone.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Uh… Ogden wasn’t alive then. Nor were the Order of Whispers. And nothing beyond a questionable source (Thruln the Lost) tells us the norn were around then either. The survivors were the seers, Forgotten, dwarves, and jotun. Mursaat survived too but they left the world until shortly before GW:Prophecies. The seers were almost all wiped out, so their culture likely bit the dust during the last rise. The jotun fell to civil war thus lost their ability to read their knowledge. The Forgotten kept to themselves, and knowledge the dwarves had fell into mythology.

Nothing on the console or monitor in the Breachmaker indicated something went wrong. It’s said that the drill was designed to continue it’s actions even if Scarlet dies. I never got the impression that the drill’s purpose was thwarted or disrupted in any way. Whatever the drill did was exactly what it was supposed to do. It seemed to only send a surge towards one dragon, not multiple ones. Unless she had plans to fly off to another location and start drilling again (I know there is a theory based on the other maps in the control room) it seems her goal in Lion’s Arch was Maguuma Falls dragon and that dragon alone.

You misunderstood me. I wasn’t saying the drill messed up – though nothing really says it did its job right, come to think of it. I was saying that she intended to send energy to multiple dragons eventually.

Dear ANet writers,