Scarlet's Diary?

Scarlet's Diary?

in Lore

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

So in the new update we find Scarlet’s diary, in which she states that all future entries will not be written. But then in LS1 we have Scarlet’s Journal, which presumably was written afterwards. Any significance to the timeline?

Scarlet's Diary?

in Lore

Posted by: Tamias.7059

Tamias.7059

Yeah, it tells us that her Journal was before then. In fact, I’d think its purpose would be to make clear that exact fact! Nice catch.

Victory Is Life Eternal [VILE]

Scarlet's Diary?

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

And in combination with the holorecording, it puts the entire diary before the experiment… interesting…

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Scarlet's Diary?

in Lore

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

So she was experiencing the entity before Omadd?

Scarlet's Diary?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

That I find a bit weird. I wonder if it’s an oversight given that when we first find the journal in S1… it was voiced.

But chances are, if it isn’t an oversight, that it is indeed based before the holo-recording. But there is a slight issue:

That hideout and the holorecording is during the time of Scarlet being in the colleges (thus when she was Ceara, not Scarlet Briar). This means that she became “Scarlet Briar” well after 1323 (last date of the entry). However, this does not make much sense. The final entry is 1323, and in the hideout we see her entry into Statics (or was it Dynamics?), and she’s talking about her work with Steam creatures. This all places it in the middle of her time working with the colleges – most likely during her time working under Omadd, which would be her time in Statics, the second of her colleges.

In other words, with each college taking a year or more, and the journal being before becoming Scarlet Briar, this would put at least her becoming Scarlet Briar to be 1325 AE. But this makes no sense, because by the point this most likely occurred – presuming that the thievery with Teyo was early 1325 and shortly before the beginning of the personal story, then she had to have been just very briefly known as Scarlet Briar for the Thaumanova Reactor’s explosion to occur and still make sense if that still makes sense.

But to me, it doesn’t make sense. It squeezes the timelines far too close to be anything reasonable. Unless she was taking the name of Scarlet Briar and began her plans of world domination™ before entering the machine. And while she seems to have been making the Steam creatures and using dredge contacts at that point it feels more like a “I don’t care about the consequences of my actions” rather than “I’m beginning the steps that will lead to me awakening Mordremoth.”

Hard to say, really. But the indication is what Tamias says, which would mean that the entity was screwing with her head years (2-3 specifically) before her experiment with Omadd, which would thus have happened in 1325 AE – while we were building our legend, Scarlet was entering the machine.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Scarlet's Diary?

in Lore

Posted by: ElysianEternity.6215

ElysianEternity.6215

I’m kinda confused as well <_>. Didn’t the holo-recorder in the dead end instance show her talking to Mender Serimon shortly after her awakening? (Or some time after, from the looks of it the recordings were chronological and this one seemed to be from before she joined the colleges)

If the written journals (+ the one with the entity) were before all holo-recordings, there would be no point to the holo with Serimon.

(edited by ElysianEternity.6215)

Scarlet's Diary?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Ah yeah, I forgot about that. Makes me want to say that the line is an oversight, and we shouldn’t take it to mean that the holo-journals in S1 were after that, while the written one was before.

Unless in Scarlet’s insanity, she recorded her playacting her past.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Scarlet's Diary?

in Lore

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

All of this is based on the presumption that it’s in fact, a complex story that’s being told. So far, that doesn’t seem to be the case.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Scarlet's Diary?

in Lore

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

There is also a nice slip up with steam creatures themselves. In season 1 it was stated, that Scarlet reverse engineered the steam machines, while in season 2 the story tells us she has created them.

Bit of a contradiction, I’d say.

Scarlet's Diary?

in Lore

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

There is also a nice slip up with steam creatures themselves. In season 1 it was stated, that Scarlet reverse engineered the steam machines, while in season 2 the story tells us she has created them.

Was it stated by Scarlet herself though? As far as I remember it was just ASSUMED to be the case, never confirmed directly by Scarlet.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Scarlet's Diary?

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

But how does that steam creatures fit in?
If we take the asuran future prediction alternatative universe stuff into account, then that would mean that Scarlet created the steam creatures for our alter ego from the future to conquer their world?

Scarlet's Diary?

in Lore

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

Was it stated by Scarlet herself though? As far as I remember it was just ASSUMED to be the case, never confirmed directly by Scarlet.

It was assumed, not stated as a certainty, but if Scarlet created them, then Asura PS doesn’t make any sense.

Scarlet's Diary?

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

I’d agree that the timeline makes very little sense. Otherwise the room was much more coherent than any other story telling we’ve seen in the LS so far. It explained a lot going backwards and gave a lot of clues for going forwards. Perhaps the video diary was an afterthought added to explain stuff and less care was given to the detail.

Scarlet's Diary?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Indeed. It was just assumed by the Priory at the Marionette that Scarlet reversed engineered the Steam creatures. Why? Because she’s a master of reverse engineering, they said.

It wasn’t undeniable fact, just another case where NPCs can be wrong.

If we take the asuran future prediction alternatative universe stuff into account, then that would mean that Scarlet created the steam creatures for our alter ego from the future to conquer their world?

It was assumed, not stated as a certainty, but if Scarlet created them, then Asura PS doesn’t make any sense.

The asura storyline with the Infinity Ball was explained to be taking from a possible future that is nothing more than a memory in the Mists – something non-existent.

Meaning that somewhere, in some of the multiple Tyrias we know to exist, there is the potential future that, instead of Scarlet, the steam creatures were built by an asura ‘student’ of Zojja.

Dear ANet writers,

Scarlet's Diary?

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

They never said that, they implied something to those lines however. Not a contradiction simply the product of unreliable sources. They through one thing when they had a little evidence now with more evidence they think something else.

It’s not technically the future. Think of it as a fractal of a possible future (fractals are based off of future or past events but aren’t, they’re like echoes or shadows or something along those lines). So common time travel rules don’t apply since as we’ve seen fractals aren’t always 100% accurate.

Scarlet's Diary?

in Lore

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Apparently Fractal beings can invade the Tyria….. Fractal version of Future Self did….

According to Game Designer Antony Ordon: “*I doubt Evon’s interest in the past isn’t entirely…religious.*”

See the double negative there?

The Game Designer is outright hinting that Evon is seeking the Abaddon Fractal for religious reasons!

What’s stopping Evon Gnashblade from summoning Fractal Abaddon to Tyria and bringing Nightfall?

Obviously Kormir might notice if she’s still inside the Realm of Torment(from what we’ve heard of the Gods she most likely isn’t) yet if she’s not(very likely) then Fractal Abaddon could just merge the Realm of Torment with Tyria at will.

Scarlet's Diary?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

To be honest, nothing says that the Infinity Ball storyline deals with a fractal (or fractals). “Memories in the Mists” and “Fractals of the Mists” can be entirely different things yet very similar.

I take the “memories in the Mists” thing to be more akin to the vision during A Light in the Darkness. But then again, that in itself could be a form of Fractal! But unlikely. Maybe? Too little information!

But as we see with Dessa, normal fractal beings cannot easily leave their Fractal. Or is Dessa just a unique situation? And per Dessa, fractal beings are known to respawn (this is not just mechanics, it is lore!) as the fractal “resets” itself.

Dear ANet writers,

Scarlet's Diary?

in Lore

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

If Evon succeeds in extracting Abaddon(potential future Asura was able to visit Tyria so there likely is a way to extract characters into Tyria) from a Fractal the Fractal will create a new Abaddon for itself…

The new Abaddon in Tyria most likely would seek to bring Nightfall and merge the Realm of Torment with Tyria… and since he’s free the merging will happen more quickly…. One zone at a time even….

Scarlet's Diary?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Why would pre-fall Abaddon try to bring about Nightfall?

Nightfall was, in essence, Abaddon escaping his prison that he spent 1,000 years in ultimate torment in. We really don’t know what Abaddon’s views were pre-fall, and may have been noble but disagreeing greatly about the release of magic. It all depends on the sources you look at for how Abaddon is painted. But with no prison to escape, no Realm of Torment to overlap with Tyria, and in truth, no reason to even do that in the first place.

Dear ANet writers,