Skeletons

Skeletons

in Lore

Posted by: knbBlackTemplar.3059

knbBlackTemplar.3059

Well, skeletons are pretty basic and common dead-creature for fantasy worlds, but there is none in gw2, we have ghost, zombies, frost-zombies, crystal-zombies, etc., but not clean-boned skeletons, why?

80’s: Sylvari Necromancer (Main). Human: Thief, Warrior (PvP Main), Engineer. Charr Guardian

Skeletons

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Probably because they’re “pretty basic and common dead-creatures.”

Plus they don’t really fit anything except standard undead – and we don’t actually face any standard undead. Closest we get are necromancer minions. Risen, despite being constantly called undead, are not traditional undead.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Skeletons

in Lore

knbBlackTemplar.3059

Probably because they’re “pretty basic and common dead-creatures.”

Plus they don’t really fit anything except standard undead – and we don’t actually face any standard undead. Closest we get are necromancer minions. Risen, despite being constantly called undead, are not traditional undead.

dragons are even more common as “highest creatures”, still, they’re our enemy #1

80’s: Sylvari Necromancer (Main). Human: Thief, Warrior (PvP Main), Engineer. Charr Guardian

Skeletons

in Lore

knbBlackTemplar.3059

Just why some mad necromancer can’t rise some skeletons? Are they can’t hold the form without some flesh?

Skeletons

in Lore

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

In Ghosts of Ascalon, in the beginning one of the Main Characters, a sylvari necromancer, can raise a skeleton minion out of the bones around.

Skeletons

in Lore

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

Didn’t we get to play as skeletons in a mini-game during halloween? Or they were allies. But even with that aside, I’d say no skeletons because that’s structurally weak to be just bone. Necromancers use fleshy creatures because that’s sturdier than just animating a skeletal structure.

Skeletons

in Lore

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

There were skeletons in GW1. Lots of them. I’m sure there are still a few around here somewhere, mostly underground and in Palawa Joko’s army.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

Skeletons

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Well, skeletons are pretty basic and common dead-creature for fantasy worlds, but there is none in gw2, we have ghost, zombies, frost-zombies, crystal-zombies, etc., but not clean-boned skeletons, why?

Not sure what you are talking about OP

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

Skeletons

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Don’t worry, I’m sure once we get into the Underworld we’ll find ourselves with dozens of Skeleton’s of Dhuum to deal with!

Skeletons

in Lore

Posted by: Phrixscreoth.6895

Phrixscreoth.6895

Yeah it’s probably just one of the limitations of it being a game versus it being not possible within the lore.

Skeletons

in Lore

knbBlackTemplar.3059

Not sure what you are talking about OP

It’s not our world, it’s not real skeletons, there is no proof they was alive once. It’s just Mad King madness.

Skeletons

in Lore

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

Skeletons were a distinct army from zombies in GW1

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Skeleton

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Zombie

Would be cool to fight a skeleton army in a future update. Maybe the crypts below DR?

Or if they ever do a lvl 80 exp path for AC, like they are doing with TA

(edited by Lucky.9421)

Skeletons

in Lore

Lucky.9421

Yeah but that is only two types, and they were a little boring.

The Skeleton army in GW1 was a lot more fleshed out(lol) generally cooler looking.

Skeletons

in Lore

Posted by: histerico.6153

histerico.6153

Well the skeletons we fought in gw1 were part of the undead orrians made from the cataclysm weren’t they? So I assume that by now they’ve all been killed or destroyed. I don’t think any undead besides ghosts form on their own right, and they only necromancer I can think of that would be strong enough to make an arm of skeletons would be Palawa Joko.

Skeletons

in Lore

Lucky.9421

Well the skeletons we fought in gw1 were part of the undead orrians made from the cataclysm weren’t they? So I assume that by now they’ve all been killed or destroyed. I don’t think any undead besides ghosts form on their own right, and they only necromancer I can think of that would be strong enough to make an arm of skeletons would be Palawa Joko.

Most of the risen in GW2 are Orrians.

Skeletons

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

That’s not actually true, Lucky. Most of the Risen in GW2 are sailors. The Orrians are just some of the coral-covered Risen seen in the lands of Orr itself. They seem to seldom leave Orr, but it should be noted that even among the coral-infested Risen – based on Sea of Sorrows – there can be Risen who died in the rising of Orr itself, let alone between the Cataclysm and Zhaitan’s awakening.

The Orrian undead in GW1 seen seem to primarily be the military of Orr. Why that army was a mixture of skeletons and zombies whereas GW2’s Risen is just zombie-like is unknown, however I think the answer lies in the fact that all of the Risen seen formed recently are turned into rotten and decayed-flesh creatures, despite the fact they should have still-normal skin that would just rot over time. And given how some are twisted to become more draconic like (Risen Knights) or simple abominations (and I don’t mean the Risen Abominations that’re stitched together), it may be that part of Zhaitan’s corruption is rotting – or adding rotten – flesh to the body.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Skeletons

in Lore

BuddhaKeks.4857

It’s not our world, it’s not real skeletons, there is no proof they was alive once. It’s just Mad King madness.

Well the Mad King (un)lives in the Underworld, a common source for undead or where do you think Dhuum got his army of skeletons from? Besides Thorn is a very powerful necromancer, it would make sense for him to use actual undead minions, as he has in the past. I see no reason for them to be not “real”.

Skeletons

in Lore

Posted by: Elidath.5679

Elidath.5679

I see no reason for them to be not “real”.

The fact they go hand in hand with bright green plastic spiders and bedsheet-phantoms, albeit not a proof, is a serious hint.
They most probably aren’t really creatures, but merely animated halloween props MKT created for his own pleasure.

Skeletons

in Lore

BuddhaKeks.4857

I see no reason for them to be not “real”.

The fact they go hand in hand with bright green plastic spiders and bedsheet-phantoms, albeit not a proof, is a serious hint.
They most probably aren’t really creatures, but merely animated halloween props MKT created for his own pleasure.

The glow-in-the-dark skeletons might very well be fake (though they still could be just enchanted to glow, because Thorn can’t sleep without his night lights on), but they differ from the other skeletons in the way that they never used weapons, atleast I can’t recall ever seeing one using actual weapons, besides those with chainsaws… but the latter don’t make much sense anyway. The point is, there is a sligth difference in behaviour between most likely fake skeletons and most likely real ones.
Anyway, as I said the Mad King used real undead in the past, next to creatures like his candy-corn constructs, so I still see zero reasons why he all of the sudden can’t possibly have real skeletons in his army.

Skeletons

in Lore

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I agree that there should be skeletons around more. They were abundant in GW1. But let’s be real, there are a lot of creatures that have conveniently disappeared from GW1 that were abundant and are now absent in GW2.

Skeletons

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Now, you say that King Thorn was a Necromancer, but I don’t believe I’ve read anywhere that his profession was given away. Most of the time he was seen using Candy Corn Elementals in the past, and the undead found in quests were fighting against him, not with him…

Take that to GW2, there are undead, but generally just cause by the veil between the real world and underworld being weakened. I would be more willing to assume that the skeletons of Mad King Thorn are fake than undead, though that’s just personal opinion.

Skeletons

in Lore

BuddhaKeks.4857

Now, you say that King Thorn was a Necromancer, but I don’t believe I’ve read anywhere that his profession was given away. Most of the time he was seen using Candy Corn Elementals in the past, and the undead found in quests were fighting against him, not with him…

Take that to GW2, there are undead, but generally just cause by the veil between the real world and underworld being weakened. I would be more willing to assume that the skeletons of Mad King Thorn are fake than undead, though that’s just personal opinion.

He was a warrior in GW1, but all NPCs with undefined profession were warriors by default. However I’m pretty certain that it was mentioned in last years Mad Memories scavenger hunt that he was a necromancer. I can’t find the dialog anywhere though. It was in the bit where the villagers decided what to do with his body, it was something about them cutting it in pieces so he couldn’t resurrect with his necromancy.

And there was atleast one other part that called him a powerful wizard, I think the one with the Istani fleet.

Skeletons

in Lore

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Just why some mad necromancer can’t rise some skeletons? Are they can’t hold the form without some flesh?

While it’s been pointed out that one necro does raise skeletons – it might be a wasteful exercise. You could argue (in the realm of necros being like puppet masters for corpses) that you would expend less magical energy to raise dead that have flesh. Skeletons would require the necromancer to “hold” the original form (possibly to create fear within the enemy). Therefore the argument around the rarity of skeletons could be because only extremely powerful/wasteful/egotistical necromancers would bother raising them.

Again, lore projection – which is what I enjoy.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working