Slyvari Anatomy retcon (maybe?)

in Lore

Posted by: Jake.1430

Jake.1430

Short and simple, do you guys think that they might retcon it abit? As of now, they have borderline no organs, because plants. But on the other hand the Mordrem have organs, even the all plant ones.
I’m honestly really wanting them to have more relatable organs, or give us a chat of their anatomy so we know

P.S. I say “we”, I mean RPers.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

It was never said they had no organs, what was said was that they don’t have organs “like animals”. They have a digestive track, but they function more like a carnivorous plants thank a stomach, intestines, etc.

The only organ stated to be lacking is a heart.

Which does make the other mordrem having hearts and bladders odd – and it makes it odd that Caithe stabbing Wynne in her chest (where/near where a heart would be located on humans) killed her so fast. But do keep in mind that thrashers, teragriffs, husks, and trolls are not sylvari – especially trolls who seem to be corrupted animals. So it’s only expected that their physiology would differ somewhat.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Sylari don’t have a heart? Where was that stated?

Though I suppose it makes sense. Plants don’t have a pump to move sap around.

in Lore

Posted by: Scratcherclaw.2713

Scratcherclaw.2713

There’s a blog post from 2011 that says sylvari have no internal organs, but it doesn’t really say a whole lot more. Though that was from so long ago that it may have changed.

Source: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dream_and_Nightmare#Biology

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Well I think it comes down to how we define organs. I think the Sylvari and Modrem have organ like structures. Since in general the Sylvari seem to be imitations of humans (superficially at least) it stands to reason they might have imitation organs (although the question comes down to functioning, since we know they’re genitals are there but non-functional i.e. Sylvari can’t make baby Sylvari).

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

@Ehecatl: It was a forum post, I believe. Or an interview. I’ll go digging later, don’t have much time atm.

@Scratcherclaw: True, but later Ree Soesbee clarified that what she meant when writing that was that they don’t have organs that would be easily recognizable by shape or relateable to what animals have, rather than entirely lacking organs.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Found the source

It was from a fan who got to chat with the lore devs at the chinese release party. It’s something he recorded from memory after the fact, so we don’t have anything verbatim to pick over, but I’m inclined to trust that he got the essential points recorded.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Interesting. Thank you for finding the source Aaron.

Anet really should compile all the biological facts of the different races in one place for the players to read. It is hard to roleplay a character that doesn’t know their own anatomical needs.

in Lore

Posted by: Ticky.5831

Ticky.5831

I just assumed they were primarily influenced by Moore’s Swamp thing, who had non-functional organs because he was the idea of man replicated by a plant.

in Lore

Posted by: Hashar.6082

Hashar.6082

since we know they’re genitals are there

Where from?

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

" Physically, sylvari are male or female, and the relevant external biology is accurate on both , but they cannot sexually reproduce as the other races do; they have no internal organs capable of creating children. "Emphasis mine. This source was a dev lore post from a series they ran before the launch of the game, but it’s also come up in multiple interviews, always with the same response.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

And there were further clarification by various devs at various points – primarily PR folks like Regina posting on behalf of the lore folks like Ree and Jeff – which confirmed that sylvari have the external sexual organs.

Though as Meeting the Asura step showed, they lack the internal sexual organs (which would mean kittens and ovaries, I would assume).

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Plants have organs. It’s part of what distinguishes them from vegetative life forms that aren’t plants (e.g. brown kelp), that tend to be less differentiated.

in Lore

Posted by: Fomivee.3065

Fomivee.3065

I wonder if Sylvari can produce energy on their own like normal plants or do they need to eat.

in Lore

Posted by: Eburte.9813

Eburte.9813

I wonder if Sylvari can produce energy on their own like normal plants or do they need to eat.

That’s also already been stated. I believe on the official GW2 website it says something along the lines of “a Sylvari can sit in a field and soak up sunlight, but rather than satiating their hunger and thirst it simply gives them more energy. They still need to eat and drink like the other races.” Of course, I’m paraphrasing, but that’s definitely been said before.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Indeed, Ree Soesbee said that in an interview after Ghosts of Ascalon which denoted Killeen (the sylvari of the story) as being ‘brighter’ and ‘more energetic’ during the day than at night.

Basically that they photosynthesize, but it’s not enough energy since they’re mobile and thus need to eat food.

Of course, nowhere is ever stated that they consume magic like proper dragon minions of all shapes and sizes. -coughs-

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

The main question is where does the alcohol go? How do they get drunk and how is it processed? Also other things that happen when you “drink too much” of any fluid?

They can drown of course.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

It’s known that sylvari feces is mulch, and so what they drink is likely processed in a similar method that mirrors humans somewhat.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Thz.7569

Thz.7569

It’s known that sylvari feces is mulch, and so what they drink is likely processed in a similar method that mirrors humans somewhat.

Nothing better than some good old fashioned mudbutt.

in Lore

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Well that solves that! Some Sylvari RPers thought “Sylvari poop” was akin to rotting fruit and smelled rather sickeningly sweet rather than rotten meat/sewer/sulfur gaseous smell we humans are accustomed to.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

in Lore

CureForLiving.5360

Of course, nowhere is ever stated that they consume magic like proper dragon minions of all shapes and sizes. -coughs-

Do dragon minions consume magic?
I can only think of the Mouth of Zhaitan and it was consuming for Zhatain not itself.

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Do dragon minions consume magic?
I can only think of the Mouth of Zhaitan and it was consuming for Zhatain not itself.

They do- or, at the very least, the risen do, although the researcher in question applies the results generally to all the dragons. It’s part of the asura personal story, although, alas, those particular steps are still very scantily documented on the wiki. They’re Field Test and Test Subject, if you care to pull them up on YouTube.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Mordrem were also attested to consuming magic by their pure presence during The Concordia Incident.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Mordrem were also attested to consuming magic by their pure presence during The Concordia Incident.

Only the vines, not modrem in general IIRC.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Aside from the vines that directly attacked waypoints, the tendrils and vines are mordrem.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Aside from the vines that directly attacked waypoints, the tendrils and vines are mordrem.

Yes but a specific type of mordrem so what applies to them does not necessarily apply to all mordrem.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Uhm, I’m not sure where you made that leap.

The vines that attacked the waypoints were – theorized by Taimi to be – a part of Mordremoth himself.

There were no such vines at Concordia. There were other vines – jungle tendrils – which are not the same as the waypoint attacking vines.

There’s never specified a specific type of mordrem consumes a magic. It’s just stated that the mordrem assaulted the magic item holding caravan and the items were drained of their magic during the assault.

In Iron Marches there is another Priory caravan which was assaulted by mordrem too.

Nothing says that the Jungle Tendrils consume magic. But we’re told that the mordrem that assaulted Concordia – which included tendrils, wolves, husks, and both standard thrashers – drained magic from the area.

Just like we have standard risen consuming the ambient magic in the asura personal story steps.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Mikah.4510

Mikah.4510

Even if they’re not consumers of magic, but they are indeed attracted to it.

in Lore

CureForLiving.5360

Even if they’re not consumers of magic, but they are indeed attracted to it.

Well it’s always possible that where Zhaitan had a Mouth to consume magic Mordy probably has a more diverse means of absorbing magic (i.e. thought most or all of his minions).

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

As mentioned above by Aaron, standard risen caused magic to be reduced in an area, as shown in the asura personal story steps Field Test and Test Subject.

Dear ANet writers,