Snakes are Krait

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

During the Canthan New Year in GW1 The Celestial Snake summoned Snakes.

They were all Krait!

Nowhere in the official sources(wiki page on Krait is fan made so it’s not official) are the Krait refered to as Snake like(unlike The Forgotten and the Naga).

Krait are likely the Sea Snakes the official sources say Naga are related to.

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Following the sources link from the wiki i found this but it is still a good find that now refers to krait as “celestial”

“The krait are intelligent serpent-like creatures” http://www.arena.net/blog/shadows-in-the-water-the-krait

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Mickey Frogeater.1470

What are Serpents though… Are they Wurms?

Greater Serpent in Urgoz’s Warren in GW1 says yes!

So Serpents are Wurms and Snakes are Krait…… Interesting………..

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

Wurms or Wyrms? …two very different beasts

the former are worms, the latter are serpents

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

Serpent is a synonim for snake. So it is saying they are snake-like.

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Mickey Frogeater.1470

In GW1 Wurms are legless creatures similar to Worms which are legless Drake hatchlings(Drakes are Dragons).

As far as GW1 is concerned Wurms are Serpents and Krait are Snakes.

Fantasy worlds have their own vocabulary in lore that have different meaning from the real world therefore in GW’s dictionary Snakes(or Krait) are Serpent-like and Serpents(or Wurms) are Worm(Drake Hatchling)-like.

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

Eeeh. i think they use the word serpant like anyone else. So any monster “serpant” is being called snake-like. Wich would still fulfill the fantasy world having it’s own vocabulary but there is reason behind it.

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

GW1 Worms were Drake Hatchlings? …huh, i think i remember GW1 wrong

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

In GW1 Wurms are legless creatures similar to Worms which are legless Drake hatchlings(Drakes are Dragons).

As far as GW1 is concerned Wurms are Serpents and Krait are Snakes.

Fantasy worlds have their own vocabulary in lore that have different meaning from the real world therefore in GW’s dictionary Snakes(or Krait) are Serpent-like and Serpents(or Wurms) are Worm(Drake Hatchling)-like.

Hahaha, no. Wurms are just large worms. Wurms are not drake hatchlings. You’re being confused by terminology of these two guys. But they aren’t drakes – if you take note, drakes are NOT native to Cantha (the only drakes one sees in Cantha are Fire Drakes, which were imported from the Ring of Fire – the next closest you get would be the plants which mimic drakes or the Turtle Dragons). But those worms are not drakes.

Wurms are just large worms – you know, like earthworms. Worms in GW1 was used to refer to small/young wurms (this was also done in pre-BWE GW2, but the smaller Worm were renamed as Wurm Hatchlings). Wurm is, quite literally, German for worm.

Similarly, the Greater Serpent and Guardian Serpent isn’t meant to mean they are snakes – though they very well could be. But the terminology for serpent in GW is no different than its terminology in reality. Same goes for worm. If you want hard evidence: Serpent Clan is also referred to as the Snake Clan in the same manner that Turtle Clan is also referred to as the Tortoise Clan.

Those four creatures are just named oddly.

Anyways, Krait have always been referred to as upright snakes, just like the forgotten and naga. Their GW2 appearance is even much more similar to the naga in GW1, and the Celestial Snake’s summons being krait models only furthers the theory me, Thalador, and I think drax have that they’re distant cousins or some such (much like hylek and heket), and that the description about naga invading a city regarding Tahmu (the Celestial Dragon)’s past is a case of mistaken identity (krait mistaken for naga) given that naga were typically peaceful before the Jade Wind.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Posted by: Curuniel.4830

Curuniel.4830

The key is in the capitalisation; there’s a difference between ‘serpent’ and ‘Serpent’. In saying “the krait are intelligent serpent-like creatures,” Ree was just using the English word serpent, meaning snake (more or less; it’s used for snake-like things and sometimes to refer to dragons). Krait are serpentine, it’s a description.

‘Serpent’ with a capital S is different, in cases like those Konig mentioned. There it’s a specific kind of thing in the world, or a title or something. I don’t know of anything definitively called ‘Serpents’ in Tyria (just checked, and the GW1 Manuscripts don’t capitalise it in referring to the Forgotten).

TL;DR: wurms are wurms, drakes are drakes, and dragons are dragons. Any or all of these could be called serpent-like, but none is the one and only Serpent!

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Posted by: Sigmatics.7056

Sigmatics.7056

TBH I think they just lacked the models for regular snakes so they took the krait ones (The celestial snake was made with all the other celestial models when CNY was first introduced).

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I wouldn’t doubt that’s why they didn’t have armless snakes, however, they could have easily used naga models which are of Canthan-origin.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Sigmatics.7056

I guess they thought that could be misleading, considering you already fight them during the festival quests and now they’re worshipping their celestial inside the monestary? Kinda weird.

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Mickey Frogeater.1470

If things continue as they do now……. Horses will turn out to look like Kirin(Are Kirin horses? Will we see Kirin in GW2?).

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

If things continue as they do now……. Horses will turn out to look like Kirin(Are Kirin horses? Will we see Kirin in GW2?).

Well the Kirin is kinda like an oriental unicorn. Historically it’s been associated with giraffes, so it’s up in the what Kirin would look like if they ever appear.

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

And if they ever appear will most likely be dependent on if Cantha ever appears, being as they were roughly situated on the Shing Jea Island/Echovald Forest areas.

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Sigmatics.7056

Oh god, please no.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060428112920/gw/images/4/4e/Celestial_Kirin.jpg

Don’t tell me you want your horses to look like that face.

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

Oh god, please no.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060428112920/gw/images/4/4e/Celestial_Kirin.jpg

Don’t tell me you want your horses to look like that face.

OMG, yes please and thank you

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

TL;DR: wurms are wurms, drakes are drakes, and dragons are dragons. Any or all of these could be called serpent-like, but none is the one and only Serpent!

is there anything to indicate that there is a one and only Serpent or is it a theory in progress?

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I think Curuniel meant that if the word was capitalized it’s meant to be a proper noun, otherwise it’s just a descriptive term to mean “a snake or snake-like.”

If there is a being called Serpent, it’s probably a Spirit of the Wild for snakes – and we’re told that there’s a Spirit of the Wild for every animal.

Dear ANet writers,

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

I can see that but i don’t see where it has been used as a proper noun and hold the possibility of being it’s own creature seperate from a snake in relation to it’s ‘Serpant-ness’.

Even Greater and Guardian Serpants are described as collosal and huge wurms. so the word ‘serpant’ in their name is just a misnomer, rather than an indication of this one and only ‘serpent’.

On second thought, larger varieties of wurms may be called ‘Serpents’ but i think there is a greater possibility of local humans just naming them a misnomer over giving their classification the same name as a whole other group.

but looking at wurms, they seem to be a subspecies of ‘giant worms’ in the GW wiki. So it wouldn’t make sense to further spereate a couple of them into a subgroup named ‘serpent’.

Since the spirits of the wild are a physical representation of the entire group and all the qualities they embody, Greater Serpents are probably represented by the Wurm Spirit while actual snakes would be represented by the Serpent Spirit.

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

If you actually read my post, you’d have noticed that I outright stated that it hasn’t been used as a proper noun.

(side note: NPC names are, unless an actual name or title like Vizier Khilbron, would be normally lowercased – e.g., it’s moa and not Moa; rift warden and not Rift Warden, etc. – the game just automatically capitalizes all the first letter of all NPC names’ words.)

Dear ANet writers,

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

calm down scrapper. I didn’t say YOU used it as a proper noun. i said i couldn’t see where it would have been if that is in fact what Curuniel was saying. meaning, I don’t disagree with you at all. only with what Curuniel seemed to be saying.

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I never said you said I used it as a proper noun. You asked if there’s anything called Serpent as a proper noun, I said no and that Curuniel seemed to have simply meant it in a general hypothetical sense. So unless I’m completely misunderstanding that post of yours, you’re not disagreeing with Curuniel either.

Dear ANet writers,

Snakes are Krait

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

Simply put, I disagree with your interpretation of Curiniels post.