So What Profession Would Best Be A Detective?

in Lore

Posted by: Deus Xiphos.7046

Deus Xiphos.7046

I was curious and kind of bored when I thought that I wanted to make a Detective-esque character. Now I’m wondering what profession would best fit the role of a detective?

Of course, all of them could be detectives; I just want to see your personal insights on it.

I expect Necromancer. (Because of Marjory.)

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Oo, so many

Engineer: Batman

Warrior: The old gumshoe detective movies where the detectives fight badguys around every corner.

Any scholarly class: Sherlock Holmes

Thief: Batman again.

Guardian: John Hartigan from Sin City

in Lore

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

Any medium: trench coat and a hat. Play it again, Sam!

Or is this too old of a reference?

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Necromancy has some pluses with having the ability to possibly commune with the dead.

I would imagine Mesmers would have some pluses as well, being able to get into the minds of others and (using illusions) perhaps even get a confession. Though we have no clue how the court of law would view that…

I can’t necessarily see how being a warrior, guardian, elementalist, engineer, ranger or thief would help outside of having inside knowledge of their specific field

in Lore

Posted by: NinjaChris.9340

NinjaChris.9340

Well, since thieves lorewise spend next to all their time in cities and preferrably in their underbellies, I’d say they would know what’s going on and where to get information from. The stealth ability would probably help as well.

in Lore

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

Necromancy has some pluses with having the ability to possibly commune with the dead.

I would imagine Mesmers would have some pluses as well, being able to get into the minds of others and (using illusions) perhaps even get a confession. Though we have no clue how the court of law would view that…

I can’t necessarily see how being a warrior, guardian, elementalist, engineer, ranger or thief would help outside of having inside knowledge of their specific field

Well, he was talking about flavour. If we have to be fair, Mesmers in GW2 seem more to be around warping reality than illusions and mind reading.

I mean… if it was like that necromancers and mesmers would make for boring dectective story… you’d just read the guilty’s mind or ask the victim who killed them.XD

Instead, I’d see well a Guardian as some sort of inquisitor.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in Lore

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Human Engineer as…

Inspector Gadget

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in Lore

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

Mesmer? The ability to manipulate the mind would come in very handy for a detective.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Well, he was talking about flavour. If we have to be fair, Mesmers in GW2 seem more to be around warping reality than illusions and mind reading.

If you’ve read Sea of Sorrows and Edge of Destiny, you’d know they still do the mind manipulating stuff.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

The mess with your heads yes, but there has never been ANY indication or hint Mesmers can read minds. They can more then likely not make you think you are riding unicorns across a field of rainbows, but they can’t go “I’ma read the password from your brain!”

True, on flipside they could possibly make themselves appear as an ally and get the person to willingly give up information, but straight up mind reading isn’t in their power list.

Warping reality, illusions, and mind kittenery is their area.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Yes, actually. Jennah reads Logan’s mind. Anise and Jennah attempt to read Kralkatorrik’s mind. Macha uses telepathy to Cobiah at various points.

It’s more than just making you see hallucinations. When I said “mind manipulating stuff” I didn’t mean “mess with minds” but “affect the mind” – this includes telepathy and mind reading, both shown in the novels directly.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Keyce.8137

Keyce.8137

Different classes would have different strengths. If we put them together I figure they’d turn into CSI or some other cop drama.

Engineer: Lab rat (Greg Sanders, CSI?) Does everything from compare DNA samples to matching bullet striations
Thief: Undercover agent or an informant/information broker. Eats, breathes, and sleeps in the worst part of the city
Ranger: Dog tracker team. Also good at reading crime scenes to understand what happened leading to crime/death of victim
Mesmer: Lead interrogator
Necromancer: Mortician. The guy who rips open corpses for a living. May also talk to them. (Ducky, NCIS)
Elementalist: Crime-scene investigator or cleanup crew. Uses various abilities to collect evidence or clean up a crime scene after the fact
Warrior: Strategic Response Unit. The heavy-hitter of the group, he’s the first one in when there’s a dangerous criminal inside a building
Guardian: District Attorney. Fear them like Warhammer 40k fears the Inquisition.

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

It takes a thief to catch a thief. If you want to investigate murders or other crimes then perhaps a necromancer or mesmer would fit.

in Lore

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Mesmer.

Mental manipulation to get parties to confess to crimes they remember committing, and illusions to fabricate the evidence.

. . . what?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Lore

Posted by: Akbaroth.2861

Akbaroth.2861

as many others have said, mesmer would be great because of the whole mind reading schtick, but i have a sneaking suspition the kyrtan ministry and the arcane council have banned the use of mesmerism or classical necromancy (in real life -mancy refers to divination and ‘necro-mancers’ would seek answers by communing with the dead, ‘pyro-mancers’ would look for symbols in flame, etc.) because there would be no way to know if the spellcaster was telling the truth (read as: because it would be easier to convict them of whatever they are up to).

on the other hand it may be legal to use such spells in order to FIND evidence rather than AS evidence, i.e. reading a suspect’s mind to find the murder weapon or victim’s body.

however i’ve read about plenty of cases where 100% solid evidence had to be thrown out because the investigators did something illegal to get it, so the arcane council/ ministry would ban ALL magical methods of investigation so even if a mesmer did find proof it would be useless in court.

in that case just BEING a mesmer might make it hard to provide evidence because the accused could just say ‘how can you prove you didn’t find this information via illegal use of mesmerism?’ thus dragging out the case.

in Lore

redslion.9675

Yes, actually. Jennah reads Logan’s mind. Anise and Jennah attempt to read Kralkatorrik’s mind. Macha uses telepathy to Cobiah at various points.

It’s more than just making you see hallucinations. When I said “mind manipulating stuff” I didn’t mean “mess with minds” but “affect the mind” – this includes telepathy and mind reading, both shown in the novels directly.

Ok, so they can read/manipulate minds AND warp the fabric of space and time when needed.

They look like the perfect plot device, no wonder there in every living story there’s always a mesmer involved.

It’s like technobabble for Star Trek.XD

(edited by redslion.9675)

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

I don’t recall the first two actually. I thought the only person to mess with Kralk’s mind was Snaff with the headset thing.

I haven’t read Sea of Sorrows.

However, That just makes the mesmers more OP in lore. I don’t think people understand just how powerful they can get. I mean the Ebon Vanguard mesmer summoned an entire ILLUSION ARMY that distracted the charr for hours-maybe a day.

in Lore

Posted by: Deus Xiphos.7046

Deus Xiphos.7046

Ah, I cannot stress how hard it is to settle on one profession. Heck, now I’m even having a hard time choosing a race! (What Norn would want to have a Detective legend? Why would a Charr want to just solve cases instead of fighting [unless they’re Ash Legion, I suppose])

For the Profession, I’m torn between a Blue-Collar Warlock Detective Elementalist type (Hellblazer FTW), or an Inquisitor type Guardian who also acts as some sort of judge.

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

as many others have said, mesmer would be great because of the whole mind reading schtick, but i have a sneaking suspition the kyrtan ministry and the arcane council have banned the use of mesmerism or classical necromancy (in real life -mancy refers to divination and ‘necro-mancers’ would seek answers by communing with the dead, ‘pyro-mancers’ would look for symbols in flame, etc.) because there would be no way to know if the spellcaster was telling the truth (read as: because it would be easier to convict them of whatever they are up to).

on the other hand it may be legal to use such spells in order to FIND evidence rather than AS evidence, i.e. reading a suspect’s mind to find the murder weapon or victim’s body.

however i’ve read about plenty of cases where 100% solid evidence had to be thrown out because the investigators did something illegal to get it, so the arcane council/ ministry would ban ALL magical methods of investigation so even if a mesmer did find proof it would be useless in court.

in that case just BEING a mesmer might make it hard to provide evidence because the accused could just say ‘how can you prove you didn’t find this information via illegal use of mesmerism?’ thus dragging out the case.

This isn’t the modern world and the court systems in Kryta have the lovely “trial by combat” thing the accused can take part in. Asura courts . . . weeeeeeeellllll . . . they’re not fair, balanced, or equal in any sense.

You know why I said mesmer, in an honest manner? Patrick Jane.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

Um, the Trial by combat is actually described as an ancient thing, and not really used in the ‘modern’ courts.

In the Noble storyline the minister uses it to escape the trial and the resulting problems it’d slap on himself and Cauducas.

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Um, the Trial by combat is actually described as an ancient thing, and not really used in the ‘modern’ courts.

In the Noble storyline the minister uses it to escape the trial and the resulting problems it’d slap on himself and Cauducas.

Yes. But it still was honored, which is the point.

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

While true, I recall it was noted to be a basically forgotton thing that next to NOBODY did anymore. And it was only the fact The main minister was a history buff the guy knew about it.

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

While true, I recall it was noted to be a basically forgotton thing that next to NOBODY did anymore. And it was only the fact The main minister was a history buff the guy knew about it.

. . . and again, still counts

Though, also seriously, Divinity’s Reach needs a Patrick Jane . . .

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

I think the answers in this thread make it clear that there is no right answer. Detectives can come in all shapes and sizes and personalities. And to add to that, the people that choose professions can come in all shapes and sizes and personalities. Coming up with detective archtypes from any profession will only be limited by our imagination.

in Lore

Posted by: Keyce.8137

Keyce.8137

. . . and again, still counts

Though, also seriously, Divinity’s Reach needs a Patrick Jane . . .

We really do. He’s the best.

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

We really do. He’s the best.

It could be amazing. Though we probably would wind up getting Kate Beckett and Richard Castle instead. Though I’d even settle for Briscoe, Munch, and Logan.

Not Columbo though.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I’m not sure about that. There are some provisions for using methods that aren’t usable in court to gather evidence that would be usable in court. For instance, if someone gives an anonymous tip they likely aren’t going to be testifying themselves, but if the tip results in finding solid evidence, that evidence is still good for the courtroom as long as it was gathered by legal means (and there is a gap between using evidence that can’t be brought to the courtroom to gather evidence that can, and using outright illegal means to gather evidence).

Similarly, a mesmer might be able to probe a murderer’s mind to find the location of the corpse or murder weapon. The mesmer may not be able to directly testify, but the evidence may still be admissible. Heck, if nothing else, a mesmer that can at least verify that someone who claims their innocence is telling the truth could save a lot of time following false leads in an investigation, even if the mesmer’s testimony is not regarded as sufficient in itself to prove guilt.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Akbaroth.2861

I’m not sure about that. There are some provisions for using methods that aren’t usable in court to gather evidence that would be usable in court. For instance, if someone gives an anonymous tip they likely aren’t going to be testifying themselves, but if the tip results in finding solid evidence, that evidence is still good for the courtroom as long as it was gathered by legal means (and there is a gap between using evidence that can’t be brought to the courtroom to gather evidence that can, and using outright illegal means to gather evidence).

i’m fairly sure anonymous tips aren’t illegal. as you said, i’m fairly sure the mesmer wouldn’t simply be allowed to say ‘that person did it, i read his mind’ i was thinking more of a loophole defense like ‘that murder weapon was found using illegal methods therefore it cannot be used as evidence’.

of course people would still know the accused was guilty but it could still cause problems for the prosecution.

Similarly, a mesmer might be able to probe a murderer’s mind to find the location of the corpse or murder weapon. The mesmer may not be able to directly testify, but the evidence may still be admissible.

maybe i wasn’t clear but that is what i was trying to say in the second paragraph of my post

in Lore

Rainbow Sprint.3215

Kryta doesn’t have the same laws we have in real life though. We don’t have magic, we can’t read minds, or speak with the dead. Surely Kryta would have laws to incoperate taking advantage of these talents. Sure we have laws to say you can’t just barge into someones house to look for a bloody knife, but if you can just read someones mind you dont need to barge into their house. Even if you need evidence, surely that would be reason to atleast look.

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

What happens when Claudeus hires his own mesmers to say that it is untrue? or when they say that they read the initial mesmers mind and he is lying to frame Claudius?

It really just turns into a bunch of he-said/she said. Especially if you even do find a body. Who killed them? My Mesmer says you did, your Mesmer says I did. I can see why a-net has stayed away from it. Though, we do know that charms can reproduce the magic of mesmers so maybe it may not be such a hard thing to have charms that block mesmers mindreading. or maybe not ever Mesmer can do what every other Mesmer can do. There might be simple mind excercises that can block all but the most powerful mesmers.

edit: on finding murder weapons, I imagine one sword slash looks very much like another. There’s an old saying that pertains to the modern justice system. “It’s not what you know, it’s what you can prove”

So, like a polygraph test, I imagine that Mesmer skills are used by low level law enforcement to help provide them an arrow, but they would be far from the be-all end-all of crime solving.

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Pretty much. However, for detective work it would still be useful. A mesmer detective would know what they know, after all, and while it may not stand up in court, it might help in gathering evidence that does, or at least in avoiding false leads.

Rainbow’s point regarding different laws is an important one, though – and keep in mind that Kryta’s legal structure is hardly egalitarian. Only nobles get a full trial – for a commoner suspect, it probably only takes the say-so of a mesmer in a trusted position to get a conviction.

When it comes to nobles… it probably takes a warrant to do a mind-read on a noble or any evidence from it is inadmissible. This is a protection that might have loopholes, though – it may be permissible to read a noble’s servants, for instance, and Ministry Guard mesmers might have privileges that Seraph mesmers do not (part of the theoretical justification for the Ministry Guard, after all, is that they can supposedly be trusted with ministerial secrets that the Seraph can’t). Meanwhile, the Shining Blade probably uses mesmerism for investigations on a regular basis – it may never go to trial, but the SB is more interested in identifying and protecting against threats than fussing about convictions. For them, knowing that X did something may not be quite as good as getting them convicted, but it’s definitely still a win.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Akbaroth.2861

i don’t think for a moment kryta has the same laws we do, and i have played all the human storylines, i know commoners don’t get much in the way of a trial and that it takes a strong leg to stand on before you can try a noble. i’ve been centering my posts on speculating that nobles, particularly the ministers would probably fight against the use of mesmerism in legal investigations because it would be a powerful tool against them.

so i suppose rather than the original topic of ‘detective’ i was being too specific and thinking only courts of law

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

Hmm. With that in mind, if commoners don’t tend to get a full trial then they probably have a lot less scrutiny when crimes happen amongst themselves. “Some random commoner dead? No big deal until it becomes a bigger problem. Commoners are animals. Noble gets robbed? Get the Mesmer investigator”.

in Lore

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

Thieves know the tricks of the trade.

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

Thieves know the tricks of the trade.

Agreed. To elaborate a little more, thieves might know where to even begin looking or even who they should start questioning in the first place.

Whithout a person who is involved, a Mesmer could very well be at a loss where as a thief might be able to identify elements of a situation without the need for a present, sentient consciousness who is involved, being right there. really, that would apply to any of the classes. Like Odyssius said in the movie Troy, “We all play with the gifts the gods give us”. Or a present day related saying “When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail”.

in Lore

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Ah, I cannot stress how hard it is to settle on one profession. Heck, now I’m even having a hard time choosing a race! (What Norn would want to have a Detective legend? Why would a Charr want to just solve cases instead of fighting [unless they’re Ash Legion, I suppose])

For Norn, I could see Snow Leopard or Raven being excellent spirit patrons for detective work. With Charr, Iron Legion operatives who deal in ballistics/Batman-gadget-setups, or Blood guys that walk the line between sleuthing and Dirty Harry-style vigilante stuff.

For the Profession, I’m torn between a Blue-Collar Warlock Detective Elementalist type (Hellblazer FTW), or an Inquisitor type Guardian who also acts as some sort of judge.

I always love Hellblazer. Although, John Constantine’s -IMHO- closer to Necromancer (especially in the “classic,” communication-with-the-dead sense) or Necro/Mes than Elementalist.
I’d say that mainly since he doesn’t typically go for the overt, walking-nuke kind of magic-use, but has definitely mucked with minds and communicated with the departed. But, YMMV.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

(edited by Advent.6193)

in Lore

Posted by: Xyvol.1265

Xyvol.1265

Different classes would have different strengths. If we put them together I figure they’d turn into CSI or some other cop drama.

Engineer: Lab rat (Greg Sanders, CSI?) Does everything from compare DNA samples to matching bullet striations
Thief: Undercover agent or an informant/information broker. Eats, breathes, and sleeps in the worst part of the city
Ranger: Dog tracker team. Also good at reading crime scenes to understand what happened leading to crime/death of victim
Mesmer: Lead interrogator
Necromancer: Mortician. The guy who rips open corpses for a living. May also talk to them. (Ducky, NCIS)
Elementalist: Crime-scene investigator or cleanup crew. Uses various abilities to collect evidence or clean up a crime scene after the fact
Warrior: Strategic Response Unit. The heavy-hitter of the group, he’s the first one in when there’s a dangerous criminal inside a building
Guardian: District Attorney. Fear them like Warhammer 40k fears the Inquisition.

Pitch it to CBS.

in Lore

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

Ritualist

1) Summon the spirit of the recently killed.
2) Ask the spirit who killed him/her.
3) Profit.

Problemo?

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Ritualist Necromancer

3) Profit.

Problemo?

Fixed that for you.

in Lore

Rainbow Sprint.3215

You know I saw an episode of torchwood where that happened, it didn’t end that well.

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

We actually do find a ghost in world and ask her how she died. she isn’t clear on the details.

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

You know I saw an episode of torchwood where that happened, it didn’t end that well.

It’s also something I’ve seen subverted to amusing extents when raised in other places. Or to note how useless it can be made in the same series.

in Lore

redslion.9675

Ritualist

3) Profit.

Problemo?

That would make the most awful detective story the world would have ever seen.

in Lore

Posted by: MRA.4758

MRA.4758

Ritualist

3) Profit.

Problemo?

That would make the most awful detective story the world would have ever seen.

See Pushing Daisies to learn that this can actually be quite entertaining.

~MRA

IGN: Peavy (Asuran Engineer)
Tyrian Intelligence Agency [TIA]
Dies for Riverside on a regular basis, since the betas

in Lore

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

Ritualist Necromancer

3) Profit.

Problemo?

Fixed that for you.

Yes Ritualist isn’t in GW2. But they will make the better detective. Nothing can beat asking the victim himself/herself directly.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

in Lore

Rainbow Sprint.3215

Ritualist Necromancer

3) Profit.

Problemo?

Fixed that for you.

Yes Ritualist isn’t in GW2. But they will make the better detective. Nothing can beat asking the victim himself/herself directly.

Well in a human priory mission this actually happens, and you need an entire ritual, have to go to a place where the connection to the underworld is strong enough, and then have to defend the person casting the ritual while they are focused on maintaining the ritual. And if the priory doesn’t have the knowledge to efficiently do this by themselves, I think it’s safe to say the knowledge has been lost at some point and a normal person wouldn’t have the ability to do this.

in Lore

Posted by: Lazarus.3970

Lazarus.3970

Purely as a detective, a thief, for their stealth abilities. Teleport in, hear conversation, teleport out.

in Lore

Posted by: relaxedfire.2357

relaxedfire.2357

What about the orders? Which order do you guys think would best suit a detective-like system?

I’m guessing the Whispers would be the best undercover one, but what do you guys think?

I am Asura, I personify genius…

…But that doesn’t mean I am one.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

What about the orders? Which order do you guys think would best suit a detective-like system?

I’m guessing the Whispers would be the best undercover one, but what do you guys think?

Definitely Whispers. Digging up secrets and cultivating contacts, after all, seems to be the primary work of the organization. The average Vigil crusader doesn’t have the patience for that kind of work, and the average Priory scholar wouldn’t care about anything that you wouldn’t expect to see taught in a college class- unless the crime had profound repercussions throughout the nation or continent, it’d probably be considered too trite to be cared about.

That said, these are just stereotypes, and individuals would frequently deviate from the norms- our only NPC detective is with the Priory, after all.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Ritualist Necromancer

3) Profit.

Problemo?

Fixed that for you.

I disagree.

All the killer has to do is so that he frames somebody or make it look like an accident to the victim himself. The killer can easily trick a confused victim.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant