So What Profession Would Best Be A Detective?

in Lore

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

What order? Shining Blade. They’re built almost on the same idea as the Order of Whispers, from what little we see, and have the actual authority to act above the Ministry Guard or Seraph when the case is clearly about the security of the Krytan throne.

But let’s be honest, the only detective which could really work is one who does not have loyalties and superiors to report back to. No conflict of interest holding them back, and just the actual effort of investigating.

In other words, not even our characters post-Pact if only because we’re beholden to that organization to fight the dragons. It has to be an independent.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Lore

Posted by: Deus Xiphos.7046

Deus Xiphos.7046

What order? Shining Blade. They’re built almost on the same idea as the Order of Whispers, from what little we see, and have the actual authority to act above the Ministry Guard or Seraph when the case is clearly about the security of the Krytan throne.

But let’s be honest, the only detective which could really work is one who does not have loyalties and superiors to report back to. No conflict of interest holding them back, and just the actual effort of investigating.

In other words, not even our characters post-Pact if only because we’re beholden to that organization to fight the dragons. It has to be an independent.

Well most detectives in real life are part of law enforcement agencies, which I think has superiors that you report back to. Seraph might be a good choice for that.

But I agree – a private detective is one that would work. They could be working for money or they just want to solve crimes and show off.

Also, our characters post-Pact don’t do much with the Pact. Either that or the Pact isn’t doing too much. It’s as if even though we’re Commander, we just occasionally report in from time to time. Hell, Trahearne even notes when you meet him again in S2 that’s it’s been a year since you’ve met with him again. Still though I also agree – even if you made your characters start out as Detectives, they end up becoming a Commander and they have the responsibility of fighting the dragons.

Of course, Detective skills such as Deduction, Analysis, Logic, or Forensic Knowledge aren’t necessarily useless in the fight against the Elder Dragons, but that’s mostly on the character than the profession.

Anyway, just to answer the Order question, I would go for Order of Whispers or The Vigil, personally. Although, the Orders of Tyria are mainly concerned in fighting the Elder Dragons than solving cases.

in Lore

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Well most detectives in real life are part of law enforcement agencies, which I think has superiors that you report back to. Seraph might be a good choice for that.

Seraph is more of a “city guard” type of template, or soldiers abroad. It’s like saying a detective could be a part of the US National Guard – technically, it’s true the training could definitely be in there but . . . they’ve got bigger issues to train for.

There really isn’t local agencies with any power in Kryta, the charr and norn solve their problems with a more personal touch, the asura . . . at least in the past . . . tend to view trials more as a means of browbeating dissenters than actually seeking justice. The sylvari, well . . . no. They have no means of policing themselves, not even in the early days when there were far fewer of them.

(Probably would have altered more than a few things happening…)

But I agree – a private detective is one that would work. They could be working for money or they just want to solve crimes and show off.

Well, or not even a detective. See, a good mesmer, or even someone good with people . . . can pull off some amazing feats of getting to the heart of things.

(Seriously, that man is spooky . . . but after several seasons you begin to see what he sees.)

Also, our characters post-Pact don’t do much with the Pact. Either that or the Pact isn’t doing too much.

It wasn’t doing too much until they began to push on Mordremoth in the Silverwastes, or set up a spot to take down the Claw of Jormag.

Of course, Detective skills such as Deduction, Analysis, Logic, or Forensic Knowledge aren’t necessarily useless in the fight against the Elder Dragons, but that’s mostly on the character than the profession.

Forensic Knowledge can actually be skipped in favor of stronger grips on the first three, or exchanged in favor of Psychology. After all, if you can get people who know the required skills and put the information together fast, it’s equally as effective. Not as interesting as one person doing it all, but . . . more plausible.

Anyway, just to answer the Order question, I would go for Order of Whispers or The Vigil, personally. Although, the Orders of Tyria are mainly concerned in fighting the Elder Dragons than solving cases.

Not all of them. The Order of Whispers does have other prerogatives to put effort into, much like the Priory has other goals.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.