So about Cantha

So about Cantha

in Lore

Posted by: Luke.1402

Luke.1402

I remember people betting their lives on it that they’d never bring back Elona and Cantha, but what do you know, Elona is here.

Seeing that we can go and explore Elona, is there a big chance that the story would lead to Cantha? What do you guys think about this? And how would it link to the current story?

So about Cantha

in Lore

Posted by: Swizzle.7982

Swizzle.7982

Calling it now, the new emperor of Cantha will turn out to be Bubbles.

So about Cantha

in Lore

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

You want the Deep Sea Elder Dragon to be that small!?!

I’d much rather that the Emperor be Ecclesiate Xun Rao going by the name Usoku who should turn out to be Menzies himself thus giving us some tie-in to Path of Fire.

Of course considering Cantha’s new policies as well as their full subjugation and absorption of the Kurzicks & Luxons I should hope Cantha takes inspiration from one Asian Country and not all of them at once like in Guild Wars 1.

The Country used as inspiration should preferably be Japan(study Inuyasha, Naruto and Bleach for inspiration ArenaNet) as China has already been done by WoW MoP.

So about Cantha

in Lore

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

As the story goes on it seems are are slowly moving South into Cantha if this keeps up.

Cantha may be a good spot for the “Bubble” Arc of GW2 if we learn more about Bubble’s recent progress.

So about Cantha

in Lore

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

If the elder dragon of the oceans really domains fear/terror, its not unthinkable he corrupted the ministry or purity, or the empress herself, to rule over cantha..
Just a shower thought, mind you

So about Cantha

in Lore

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

….. I should hope Cantha takes inspiration from one Asian Country and not all of them at once like in Guild Wars 1.

The Country used as inspiration should preferably be Japan(study Inuyasha, Naruto and Bleach for inspiration ArenaNet) as China has already been done by WoW MoP.

Yeah…that’s a bad reason to pick a specific nation/culture as inspiration. Also REALLY bad sources to use.

Plus I’ve never seen using multiple nations/cultures as inspiration for fantasy as being a bad thing, considering how its done all the time with western/medieval Europe style fantasy all the kittening time. Why is it a bad thing specifically for Asians? Seems a bit like a double standard to me.

Hate is Fuel.

So about Cantha

in Lore

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

I’d much rather that the Emperor be Ecclesiate Xun Rao going by the name Usoku who should turn out to be Menzies himself thus giving us some tie-in to Path of Fire.

Of course considering Cantha’s new policies as well as their full subjugation and absorption of the Kurzicks & Luxons I should hope Cantha takes inspiration from one Asian Country and not all of them at once like in Guild Wars 1.

People were angry enough when GW2 released cat ears. They saw it as obsessive “weeaboo nonsense” catering to anime fanboys/girls and whatnot. They’re not going to be happy about what you’re suggesting either. Especially not if your reasons cite the 3 most stereo-typically annoying anime series to ever spawn from Japan.

Also, diversity is a good thing. There are a lot of beautiful places in all Asia to take inspiration from. Japan isn’t the only cool place in the world. I’m sure it’s lovely, but let’s not just toss out the rest of an entire continent just because someone is a fan of Japanese cartoons.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

So about Cantha

in Lore

The Greyhawk.9107

People were angry enough when GW2 released cat ears. They saw it as obsessive “weeaboo nonsense” catering to anime fanboys/girls and whatnot. They’re not going to be happy about what you’re suggesting either. Especially not if your reasons cite the 3 most stereo-typically annoying anime series to ever spawn from Japan.

Also, diversity is a good thing. There are a lot of beautiful places in all Asia to take inspiration from. Japan isn’t the only cool place in the world. I’m sure it’s lovely, but let’s not just toss out the rest of an entire continent just because someone is a fan of Japanese cartoons.

^This. Sooooooooo much this.

Hate is Fuel.

So about Cantha

in Lore

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

….. I should hope Cantha takes inspiration from one Asian Country and not all of them at once like in Guild Wars 1.

Yeah…that’s a bad reason to pick a specific nation/culture as inspiration. Also REALLY bad sources to use.

Plus I’ve never seen using multiple nations/cultures as inspiration for fantasy as being a bad thing, considering how its done all the time with western/medieval Europe style fantasy all the kittening time. Why is it a bad thing specifically for Asians? Seems a bit like a double standard to me.

Didn’t South Koreans and NC Soft complain about the blending of Japanese style fantasy with Chinese and Korean Fantasy? Didn’t NC Soft make ArenaNet get rid of the Canthan District in Divinity’s Reach because of such reasons?

So about Cantha

in Lore

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

Didn’t South Koreans and NC Soft complain about the blending of Japanese style fantasy with Chinese and Korean Fantasy? Didn’t NC Soft make ArenaNet get rid of the Canthan District in Divinity’s Reach because of such reasons?

According to some. But according to many others it was removed due to the bickering of just one A net or NCsoft employee who may or may not even work at the company anymore. So, who can tell, really? Aside from actual Anet employees, but I doubt one is going to come into this thread to really clarify.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

(edited by Squee.7829)

So about Cantha

in Lore

The Greyhawk.9107

If it was NCsoft making the complaint, which I doubt (if they had such a big problem with it, why’d they let Anet release Factions in the first place?) its still a big double standard as even Asian game makers (including NCSoft) will mix’n match differing European cultures when making a western style fantasy, but get bent out of shape when someone else does it with theirs. And it makes sense for Cantha to not be monolithic, its a continent after all, there SHOULD be differences in regional cultures. I’ll admit though that Anet was more than a little bit clumsy when using different east Asian cultures for Factions. They just need plan things out better.

Hate is Fuel.

So about Cantha

in Lore

Posted by: sindarael.2853

sindarael.2853

As someone who lives in Japan: Please don’t! There is so much more to Japanese culture than those few anime… One should study a countries culture to use it as an inspiration and not a highly stylised manga…

And I too like the multiculturalism of Cantha.