[Spoiler] Eir in HoT? [Spoiler]

in Lore

Posted by: Mutilate.2796

Mutilate.2796

WTF she got killed by a giant dog?! Is she really dead tho?

in Lore

Posted by: therapite.3645

therapite.3645

Nah, bro. Her tunic was just dirty, so they ran it through the Wash.

You can’t take the sky from me.

Ayla Tyrsdottir | Melsande | Rowan Cabot | Joxa | Phedra Nyx|Ephiny Tyrkin
Eternal Clarity [Ankh] /Archivists Sanctum [Lore]
A quaint dye collector with a lore problem.

in Lore

Mutilate.2796

stop lying to me

in Lore

Posted by: Soleiya Starbow.7013

Soleiya Starbow.7013

Clearly not a Firefly/Serenity fan.

Also, if you were trying for no spoilers, big fail on the thread title…I’d honestly recommend you change it (if it will let you).

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Putting the word “Spoilers” in the title thread is useless if you put the spoiler in the title as well…

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Mutilate.2796

Im trying to not to spoil anything. None of you are answering my questions.

in Lore

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

Should change the title a bit. You can’t just hint towards what happened, but then shove a spoiler tag by it lol

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

in Lore

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

“Eir is dead, Braham goes bald and…oh crap, yea, (Spoiler).”

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Im trying to not to spoil anything. None of you are answering my questions.

You answered your own question in the first post.

Which shows you obviously did the related story step, which makes it very clear the situation.

Which makes me think you’re trolling. Especially given that you haven’t edited the thread title (and I know you can).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Cerbeius.7129

Cerbeius.7129

dat title, rly?

Lady Cerba, Ascalonian Priestess of Grenth

- Piken Square, [REN][DKAL]

in Lore

Posted by: Perses God.4621

Perses God.4621

Wow that spoiler in the title….such a troll post! Mods should at least change the title asap!

in Lore

Posted by: Mike.7263

Mike.7263

Eir Stegalkin, leader of Destiny’s Edge, who bravely battled both Kralkatorrik and Zhaitan, falls to a mere minion with fear on her face and no weapon in her hand.

She deserved so much better.

(edited by Mike.7263)

in Lore

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

She will be fine she just needs to respawn at the nearest waypoint.
I die all the time and I’m still here.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Lore

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

Eir Stegalkin, leader of Destiny’s Edge, who bravely battled both Kralkatorrik and Zhaitan, falls to a mere minion with fear on her face and no weapon in her hand.

I don’t remember seeing fear on her face. If anything, I saw her facing her death the way any norn would hope to. Granted, it would be more glorious if she had a weapon, or at the very least Garm, with her, but still…

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

in Lore

Mike.7263

Anyone who’s read the first chapter of the first Guild Wars 2 book knows that even no-name Norn go down fighting. Eir didn’t get that.

(edited by Mike.7263)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

That wasn’t fear, but pain – then bold acceptance.

Also keep in mind that she was being starved since the moment of her capture, so she was already weakened – unlike when she fought Kralkatorrik and Zhaitan.

Mind you, I wish she didn’t die. It was overly predictable to the point of “-facepalm- Yup, she’s going to die.” but even I’ll admit that her death was pretty epic. Rather, it’s a shame the Vinetooth died so fast and easily. It’s a bit of a blow when Vinetooths become a rare veteran in the next map though – they should have kept it more unique.

IMO, though, Eir got the death that Tactician Beirne should have gotten. Separated from comrades and facing down a powerful dragon minion alone.

Anyone who’s read the first chapter of the first Guild Wars 2 book knows that even no-name Norn go down fighting. Eir didn’t get that.

She had just stood up to face her foe when it impaled her. She didn’t get the chance to go down fighting – thanks to Faolain. But rather than die running away, she faced her foe against impossible odds.

The only issue with Eir’s death as I see it is that it was too kitten predictable and felt like – as Shiren said – being done for the sake of Braham’s character development. Which, overall, has been happening too fast and too much off-screen (particularly when it comes to Eir). He HATED Eir until Season 2, and all it took to get over all that hate which built up for 17-or-so years was… fighting alongside her once, and talking once. Yeah, that doesn’t happen in reality.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Mike.7263

They killed a character we love just to develop a character we hate.

in Lore

Posted by: Denar.3950

Denar.3950

Man, I was hoping so hard that Eir would become a Druid after that story step… Braham takes her away to perform those last rites, but the amazing healing powers of the druids in Maguuma intervene. Eir picks up a staff and joins us to help search out the rest of her crew, Braham takes her bow and becomes the dragonhunter.

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Yeah it kinda surprised me that they killed off Eir and so early too. I thought get taken away again. Braham would have picked up her bow and started “hunting” her trail. And we would later find her, having gotten out of the clutches with the help of the druids.

But for what’s it’s worth it was a cool scene, very cinematic. But now I have only Rytlock as likeable DE member left. Now Trahearne must die to balance it out. :P

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Lore

Posted by: Natzo.4019

Natzo.4019

Eh, the death flags have been there since Season 2.

She finally talk to her son, “We should go hunting together, as family.” And then she get’s captured. I was just expecting when they were gonna kill her, not if.

in Lore

Posted by: Daharahj.1325

Daharahj.1325

Man, I was hoping so hard that Eir would become a Druid after that story step… Braham takes her away to perform those last rites, but the amazing healing powers of the druids in Maguuma intervene. Eir picks up a staff and joins us to help search out the rest of her crew, Braham takes her bow and becomes the dragonhunter.

Yesss this is exactly what went through my head when she died, it’s a shame we didn’t get to see much lore behind each elite specialization. Druid still makes zero sense to me thematically.

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Eh, the death flags have been there since Season 2.

She finally talk to her son, “We should go hunting together, as family.” And then she get’s captured. I was just expecting when they were gonna kill her, not if.

Let me rephrase, when I said I was surprised it wasn’t in the “I would have never seen this twist coming!”-way, but a “oh so they went with the predictable turn of events”-way. I would have expected them to defy the old tropes and give us a red hering with the LS Season 2 stuff. Unfortunately they did not do that.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Lore

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

Yesss this is exactly what went through my head when she died, it’s a shame we didn’t get to see much lore behind each elite specialization. Druid still makes zero sense to me thematically.

Yeah that would had been amazing, I would had liked the bi-conics more if they made them grow like that. But now they’ll keep being the whiny little “heroes” that they seem to me >.>

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

in Lore

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

Would be cool if during the living story Eir stumbles out of the jungle and we discover the Eir we saw die was nothing more than a copy made by Mordremoth.

in Lore

Mike.7263

Would be cool if during the living story Eir stumbles out of the jungle and we discover the Eir we saw die was nothing more than a copy made by Mordremoth.

The Eir we saw die did not go down fighting. The Eir we know would have gone down fighting. Any self-respecting Norn would have gone down fighting. Perhaps the Dragon of Mind was pulling some sort of trick.

(edited by Mike.7263)

in Lore

Posted by: Pikachu.1829

Pikachu.1829

I am more sad on Trahearne’s death, he’s an under appreciated character. The man fought along me since Claw Island, he’s around me longer than any other NPC.

RIP Trahearne.

(edited by Moderator)

in Lore

Posted by: Tora.7214

Tora.7214

my character retribution when she died, really though about this escene because as a deathblossom/lotus condi thief i killed the mordrem on a similar way he https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uupgJn1frLk

in Lore

Posted by: Icdan Sevaen.4628

Icdan Sevaen.4628

I am more sad on Trahearne’s death, he’s an under appreciated character. The man fought along me since Claw Island, he’s around me longer than any other NPC.

RIP Trahearne.

Dude wtf, spoiler warning?

I already knew about Eir, that’s why I came into this topic. If I had known there would be anything about Trahearne I would have stayed away…

(edited by Icdan Sevaen.4628)

in Lore

Mike.7263

If the Eir we saw die was actually a Mord clone, finding the real Eir would make a great hook for LS season three — kinda like Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.

Searching for a beloved character would certainly be more compelling than what we did during the last two seasons: fighting a Mary Sue villain and hunting down an egg McGuffin.

in Lore

Posted by: Tora.7214

Tora.7214

RIP Trahearne.

Dude wtf, spoiler warning?

I already knew about Eir, that’s why I came into this topic. If I had known there would be anything about Trahearne I would have stayed away…

I saw this coming when a guildie linked “certain greatsword” belonging to a important character as a shattered 1 handed sword with the word “broken” added to its name, but I was wishing it was not true. kitten this expantion has main characters dropping dead like flies

(edited by Tora.7214)

in Lore

Mike.7263

Two things don’t add up. The Eir we saw die did not go down fighting, and Garm was not by her side. That’s not the Eir we know, and that’s not the Garm we know.

For ArenaNet’s sake, I really hope that was a Mordrem clone we saw go down. Considering how much players love her, the search for Eir would make a really compelling hook for season three.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Garm wasn’t there throughout all of Season 2. Eir isn’t always with Garm, you know.

Eir didn’t have a weapon. How could she go down fighting, when the moment she stands up she’s killed? Her standing up IS her going down fighting. You don’t have to throw a punch before being shot in order to die defiant.

And it’s dying defiant that norn do, not die fighting.

Your continuous posts complaining about that throughout dozens of threads is getting past the point of annoying and into the realm of “viewed as trolling.”

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Daralii.8940

Daralii.8940

Garm wasn’t there throughout all of Season 2. Eir isn’t always with Garm, you know.

Eir didn’t have a weapon. How could she go down fighting, when the moment she stands up she’s killed? Her standing up IS her going down fighting. You don’t have to throw a punch before being shot in order to die defiant.

And it’s dying defiant that norn do, not die fighting.

Your continuous posts complaining about that throughout dozens of threads is getting past the point of annoying and into the realm of “viewed as trolling.”

Except norn can shapeshift, something none of the important norn(Knut, Eir, Braham) do ingame. She couldn’t channel Wolf and grapple with the vinetooth for a bit before being overwhelmed?

in Lore

Posted by: Knox.8462

Knox.8462

Remember that Eir had been starved of food and water for days before we got to her, then badly wounded by Faolain. Even for a Norn, she probably wasn’t in a fit state to fight back.

“To Eir! She’ll break the Fang yet!”

in Lore

Posted by: Slowpokeking.8720

Slowpokeking.8720

I don’t get it, why do Anet hate female Norn so much? In the Zhaitan war we got quite a few female norn characters killed and turned into Risen, now Eir…

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

They didn’t kill Eir because she was a female norn…

By the same argument as yours – why do they hate male asura so much? EoD=Snaff dies; GoA=Kranxx dies;Orr has 2 male asura dying in the story too.

I don’t think they really put effort into the gender/race of who dies, but choose base on their role in the story.

Eir died for Braham’s character development, nothing more. If there is something more, it’d be to make player characters the leader of the original Destiny’s Edge by killing the original Destiny’s Edge leader (Eir).

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

It was a well told death for her, although I’d have liked to have seen her strike once. Weirdly enough, I had more emotion for

Scruffy’s demise…sniff

in Lore

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

: ( Thanks for ruining my night. j/k sort of.

Eir’s death was easily the best the series has done except for the predictability. Dragon hunter announced? Eir dies.

in Lore

Posted by: Slowpokeking.8720

Slowpokeking.8720

They didn’t kill Eir because she was a female norn…

By the same argument as yours – why do they hate male asura so much? EoD=Snaff dies; GoA=Kranxx dies;Orr has 2 male asura dying in the story too.

I don’t think they really put effort into the gender/race of who dies, but choose base on their role in the story.

Eir died for Braham’s character development, nothing more. If there is something more, it’d be to make player characters the leader of the original Destiny’s Edge by killing the original Destiny’s Edge leader (Eir).

But they indeed killed quite a few female norn in the story. Apatia, Grechen and Hekja. All of them were turned into Risen as well.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Eir’s death was easily the best the series has done except for the predictability. Dragon hunter announced? Eir dies.

Not just that. She triggered just about every death trope apart from showing pictures of her sweetheart back home or having a tryst with the protagonist without being a pre-established love interest.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: frednought.1238

frednought.1238

I don’t mind Eir’s death, honestly. The circumstances were fairly reasonable and I don’t feel like she had much more story to tell anyways—during the personal story she always said that her time was over, time to pass on the torch, etc. I think that making that idea more explicit and giving her a cliched dying speech to Braham and possibly the norn player character would have wrapped up her character nicely.

Faolain’s death was much more egregious, IMO. Why was she even in the jungle? Why was the Nightmare vs. Mordrem corruption thing never explained? If Nightmare has nothing to do with the dragon, as I think has been confirmed, it would have been much more interesting to explore that. Perhaps through an uneasy alliance?

On a related note, Caithe had so much prime potential for a redemption death. It would’ve been so easy to make work and would’ve ended her character arc on a much less awkward note than the current “lol i have trust issues” thing she has going currently.

Sigh.

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Fear? I saw no fear. And she had no weapon available. This is directly after she used the spike Faolin stabbed her with as a throwing weapon (IMO, likely severing Faolin’s spine and paralyzing her, based off Norn strength and where the spike landed).

Remember that Eir had been starved of food and water for days before we got to her, then badly wounded by Faolain. Even for a Norn, she probably wasn’t in a fit state to fight back.

“To Eir! She’ll break the Fang yet!”

Add in the fact she’d likely have some wounds from fighting the Sylvari on the Glory of Tyria, then the fall to the jungle. And it’s VERY unlikely that the Mordrem took her, destiny’s edge, and Trahearne without a fight (I’ve reached “The Predator’s Path” story mission thus far.)

Wounded, then starved and denied medical attention for however long it took the Commander to find that camp. She was in rough condition. Faolin’s stab seemed more like a “Oh kitten, ouch!” then a crippling blow. But it paused Eir, which is what caused her death.

Then why did she look at Rytlock and engage the mob without the rest of the group? Rytlock went one way, Eir went the other (apparently a starved, weakened Eir also didn’t warrant the support of our entire team because we all went with Rytlock -including Braham). In a later story step a similar scenario happens and we don’t make the weakened people fight, they are effectively out of the fight and have people protecting them.

Eir’s death was scripted to be a dramatic death to motivate Braham, not a logical conclusion to her story.

Um, what? Rytlock was with the group. Eir and Faolin were on a seperate area. Hence the “Run for that bridge, we’ll cut it off there!” That cell they were in lifted with a vine, and flopped across a chasm (IIRC) before opening. Both groups were running for a connecting point, and Rytlock was with the commander and crew.

in Lore

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

What? It was pathetically done. I’d normally have some tears in a moment like that but I had nothing. Faolain had no reason to stab her and then she just gets a non-descript death against a nothing minion. The way it was put together engendered no emotion in me at all.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

(edited by morrolan.9608)

in Lore

Posted by: Daharahj.1325

Daharahj.1325

I’m a bit surprised the spike hurt Eir that bad when you consider how strong Norn are, and how weak Sylvari are for that matter.

in Lore

Posted by: stuffystuffs.8360

stuffystuffs.8360

On a related note, Caithe had so much prime potential for a redemption death. It would’ve been so easy to make work and would’ve ended her character arc on a much less awkward note than the current “lol i have trust issues” thing she has going currently.

Sigh.

There are other ways to redeem a character besides death (they are already a bit too heavy handed with death for character development/redemption imo).

Plus, I’m probably in the minority here, but I don’t think what Caithe did was all that bad. If she didn’t follow through with her Wyld Hunt, the Commander and gang would have shared the same fate as Trahearne and the rest of Destiny’s Edge. I played the story as a sylvari Commander and it felt like my character was no different from Caithe in regards to the egg. She was just as obsessed with getting her hands on it and even stated at one point (to Ruka I believe) she didn’t trust anyone but herself with it. It almost seemed as if my sylvari was yet again sharing a Wyld Hunt with Caithe except this time they were initially at cross-purpose due to Caithe’s inability to trust others. It’s definitely a major character flaw she still has but this experience could give her a chance to develop as a character (w/o death).

I’m a bit surprised the spike hurt Eir that bad when you consider how strong Norn are, and how weak Sylvari are for that matter.

I think Eir was a lot weaker than usual since she wasn’t given food/water for a few days. I think Faolain (as a sylvari) can still get nourishment from the sun so would have actually had a physical advantage over Eir in that situation.

in Lore

Posted by: Daralii.8940

Daralii.8940

The Wyld Hunt thing seems like a really stupid misunderstanding considering it wasn’t mentioned at all until that one line late in the story. So much ultimately pointless drama could have been avoided if her or the Pale Tree had just said something.

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

What? It was pathetically done. I’d normally have some tears in a moment like that but I had nothing. Faolain had no reason to stab her and then she just gets a non-descript death against a nothing minion. The way it was put together engendered no emotion in me at all.

Faolain is not a good/nice person. In her mind, stabbing Eir would slow the norn down, allowing her to reach safety before the mordrem got her.

Eir was already weakened from wounds taken during the fleet’s destruction/fall to the jungle, and being starved. As it is, I don’t see it as actually being a mortal/heavy wound, but more of a “Oh kitten, OUCH.” situation where it caused her to pause/slow down, which the vinetooth took.

The Wyld Hunt thing seems like a really stupid misunderstanding considering it wasn’t mentioned at all until that one line late in the story. So much ultimately pointless drama could have been avoided if her or the Pale Tree had just said something.

In previous times, the egg was in a heavy mordrem area and Caithe basically did the EXACT same thing the commander does in the jungle. Picked up the egg and ran like hell to get it to safety. Look at it, she grabbed the egg and fled the shadow of the dragon and the mordrem cave. We grabbed the egg and fled the Mordrem.

Caithe’s made mistakes, but I have few issues with her.

in Lore

Posted by: BeckonRed.8457

BeckonRed.8457

I agree, Eir was an big character even before the release of GW2 along with the rest of GW2 her death should have had more impact. While Eir’s death was dramatic, it didn’t have an great impact like Master Togo’s death In Factions someone who’s presence wore on the player enough till it happened, I was sooo mad at Shiro, lol. I even felt bad for Ruric who wasn’t around for long at all especially at the Ring of Fire and even his demise seemed to be better than Eir. I would have liked to have seen much more from Faolain as an villain, the trailer seemed to point to that but now seems misleading, so now what of the Nightmare court did they have an alternative plan while all this was going on like trying to convert the pale tree while she’s weak?

in Lore

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Well we learn that you NEVER EVER meet your family members in GW2 if you want them to stay alive.

One – Piken Square

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

I think something to note. Even if Eir had lived (vinetooth not stabbing her, or surviving the stab), she’d have been removed from the campaign either way.

Weakened, starved, and wounded as she was, she wouldn’t be able to continue fighting. She’d have to be evacuated to heal.