Spreading of Printing

Spreading of Printing

in Lore

Posted by: Djahlat.9610

Djahlat.9610

So with the LA update, I keep discovering stuff every now and then, but today something I saw really has surprised me. It’s a printing machine. Yes, the Order of Whispers has had them since (at least) the day the PC joined an Order, but the one I saw was small and wasn’t used by the Order of Whispers. It was more of a typewriter actually. This means that Printing is spreading through Tyria, and since it’s been a catalyst in Real-World History, I thought it was somewhat relevant to mention.
Really nice touch added by the devs, concerning the technological progression of Tyria, in terms of anything that’s not meant to be weaponized.
Notice how weird the typewriter is. As far as I know, Modern Krytan contains as many characters as the English Alphabet (i.-e.: 26) but there are many more “buttons” on the “keyboard”.
Below are a picture of the Mass-printing machine found in the Chantry of Secrets, the other is the small type-writer found in a Consortium building.

Just wanted to read your thoughts on this.

Attachments:

Spreading of Printing

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Printing has been spreading for quite a while. The first printing press was charr-made, and the Durmand Priory began using the invention themselves for quite a while too. Humans are known to have converted old wine distilleries into such (similar to our own typography history).

I don’t think we have an exact date for the invention of the printing press in Tyria, just that all the races unified into using New Krytan in 1105 AE with the Durmand Priory’s guidance. But we know that the printing press has existed for several years – if not several decades – by now. Every writing we see, or rather almost all of it, aren’t done by hand but by print.

It doesn’t surprise me that type writers of such an antique design are in use. Though I don’t think such has been seen before.

As for why there are more keys than 26 is because you have the decibal numeral system (0-9) and punctuation symbols (period, comma, colon, semi-colon, hyphen, exclamation point, question mark, quotation mark, etc.).

Relevant links:

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Spreading of Printing

in Lore

Posted by: Djahlat.9610

Djahlat.9610

Yes I was aware that printing was a thing before, I just didn’t know it was that accessible though, my bad I guess :p