State of the Female Dredge: a curious letter

in Lore

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

Today, whilst wandering around Snowden Drifts, I came across the letter posted below in a dredge mine. Perhaps it has been there since Flame & Frost, but this is my first time coming across it.
Until this, I have never seen any physical evidence of female dredge—we just knew they had to be somewhere. Although dredge gender dimorphism could be very slight, all the dredge workers and leaders (basically all in-game dredge) we’ve encountered seem to be males.
I heard it stated somewhere that dredge are, in fact, sexist and oppressive to women. The women’s lack of workforce presence and leadership roles would confirm this. This letter seems to suggest that before the Molten Alliance, women at least had some leeway, but that interaction with Flame Legion has encouraged the dredge men to be more oppressive.
What are your thoughts on this? Perhaps we’ll see an uprising of female dredge, similar to the female charr rebellion.

Attachments:

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

yeah, i found it a long time ago, thought it was funny given the whole molten alliance thing.

the more important question is: how does a blind creature write? how does it read? how does it draw schematics and plans?

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

It was one of many objects added to dredge and Flame Legion bases in areas affected by Flame and Frost during the third update.

Nowhere other than that letter is there mention of sexism among the dredge. In GW1, female dredge used the same models as male dredge with no stated obvious physical difference.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

It was one of many objects added to dredge and Flame Legion bases in areas affected by Flame and Frost during the third update.

Nowhere other than that letter is there mention of sexism among the dredge. In GW1, female dredge used the same models as male dredge with no stated obvious physical difference.

actually that letter was in snowden drifts, which i’m pretty sure was not affected during flame and frost. i think it might have been there since launch.

that said, it sounds more like “don’t think about pulling a flame legion” than “stop being like them”.

in Lore

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

Found the quote I recall:
“An update on the dredge part of this – a Priory scholar introduced during Flame and Frost: The Razing states that the dredge are, like the Flame Legion, xenophobic and sexist” https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/lore/lore/Absent-Females/first#post1765986
If said scholar’s dialogue options are recorded on the wiki, it may give more insight.

in Lore

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

It doesn’t. It’s Ela Makkay (she was the scholar used all through season one). All she states is that the dredge have sexism in common with the Flame Legion (no context, no elaboration, just sexism). Honestly it looks like a weak attempt at justifying the alliance more than enhancing the lore of the dredge. For all we know Ela is wrong. She jumped around a lot last year, she must only have a shallow understanding of the topics she researches. Most Priory seem committed to specific areas of study, Ella kinda just dabbles. Given the lack of context outside of a couple of references, I’d take it with a grain of salt.

Pretty disappointing considering the female dredge used the same models as the male in GW1. Why add the unnecessary sexism plot? We already have two evil male factions, do we really need more?

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

lthough dredge gender dimorphism could be very slight

Given that they’re a blind species visual differences would logically have been slight, or at least would be meaningless.

the more important question is: how does a blind creature write? how does it read? how does it draw schematics and plans?

A complicated braille system?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

actually that letter was in snowden drifts, which i’m pretty sure was not affected during flame and frost. i think it might have been there since launch.

that said, it sounds more like “don’t think about pulling a flame legion” than “stop being like them”.

It was added by Flame and Frost, and Snowden Drifts was affected by it – but not majorly. During the third installment (The Razing), various zones (Wayfarer Foothills, Snowden Drifts, Diessa Plateau, Plains of Ashford, and Iron Marches) had spawns of the Sonic Periscope – during this update, various (1 per zone I think) dredge and Flame Legion bases in those three zones also had a single interactive object added to them. Such as the map of the Black Citadel in the Plains of Ashford Flame Legion cave in the NW portion of the zone, or the Mysterious Ore Ingot found in the western Flame Legion castrum in Diessa Plateau.

This was the one added to Snowden Drifts. Most people didn’t see them until well after, and when they were first added they still had the double parantheses which is on rare occasion found around names or dialogue text as “unfinished”/“not finalized” text.

Dredge aren’t blind. They just don’t see very well.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

CureForLiving.5360

Go figure, was under the assumption they were as blind as moles. Of course moles aren’t blind either (or so google tells me…), but I wouldn’t trust one behind the wheel of a car.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

that us players can read on the fly? what about their maps and plans? do they draw those in braile too?

they sure see poorly enough that they’re immune to blind…

(edited by BrunoBRS.5178)

in Lore

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

Today, whilst wandering around Snowden Drifts, I came across the letter posted below in a dredge mine. Perhaps it has been there since Flame & Frost, but this is my first time coming across it.
Until this, I have never seen any physical evidence of female dredge—we just knew they had to be somewhere. Although dredge gender dimorphism could be very slight, all the dredge workers and leaders (basically all in-game dredge) we’ve encountered seem to be males.
I heard it stated somewhere that dredge are, in fact, sexist and oppressive to women. The women’s lack of workforce presence and leadership roles would confirm this. This letter seems to suggest that before the Molten Alliance, women at least had some leeway, but that interaction with Flame Legion has encouraged the dredge men to be more oppressive.
What are your thoughts on this? Perhaps we’ll see an uprising of female dredge, similar to the female charr rebellion.

What’s really funny about this is DREDGE ARE BLIND.

Which Anet forgets and screws up at least once in the dredge part of the personal story, too, where you find a code book the dredge were using… except they’re blind.

EDIT: I looked it up on the wiki and it says dredge have: “underdeveloped eyes, to the point of nearly being blind.” (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dredge)

It’s still absurd. You know it’s because they just forgot.

The obstacle is the path.

(edited by biggs.4702)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Dredge are immune to blind because they don’t need to see their enemies to fight them – they can see but they don’t rely on their sight first like most groups. They have underdeveloped eyes due to their race’s long history underground where there’s not much light. This doesn’t mean they can’t see, this doesn’t mean they don’t need a form of writing.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Game mechanics don’t always match up to the lore.

“Immune to blind” means they live underground, and have poor eyesight.

They obviously still read and write, and in one PS storyline for Norn they STEAL a book of building plans.

in Lore

CureForLiving.5360

that us players can read on the fly? what about their maps and plans? do they draw those in braile too?

Hey it’s a fantasy world. If everyone grawl, skritt and ettin can speak english why not also have a universal braille :P