Steam creatures?

Steam creatures?

in Lore

Posted by: Qror.7562

Qror.7562

So the writing doesn’t seem to care too much about lore consistency (or perhaps they thought that Scarlet as such a brilliant character is more important than the Asura personal story mission chain), and they stated thta it was Scarlet who invented the Steam creatures. Meanwhile in the Asura PS story with the Infinity Ball (which is still available to this day), the evil version of playable character says that it was him/her who invented them in the first place and used them to conquer Tyria. At first I was okay with that, because I thought that Infinity Ball shows parallel universe, until I remembered about a tiny, very important detail: It’s not a different universe, it’s a possible future of the current one (aka the one where scarlet and our character lives). So where do Steam creatures come from?

Steam creatures?

in Lore

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Scarlet. And our evil self lied. That’s going to be one of the explanations you’re going to get (if not the only one).

Steam creatures?

in Lore

Qror.7562

Scarlet. And our evil self lied. That’s going to be one of the explanations you’re going to get (if not the only one).

Eh, expected as much. I mean, before Scarlet nobody even thought about him/her lying because it made sense, but nope, our very genius villain (and I won’t be surprised if Taimi goes all “She did nothing wrong”) was more important.

Steam creatures?

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Acording to Angel it makes sense: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/lore/lore/Interesting-things-in-Scarlet-s-Room-Spoilers/4193104

Since it was not the future, but a possible one, Scarlet could still have created them now.

Yeah, a bit wonky and feels like a retcon (even more, after we speculated this topic so much as we realized that Scarlet was using the watchworks, which work similiar to the steam creatures… ), but it makes sense to a certain agree and keeps the whole thing “simple”

On the other hand it something else we put in Scarlets greedy genius hands, but who counts at this point anyway?

Steam creatures?

in Lore

Qror.7562

Acording to Angel it makes sense: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/lore/lore/Interesting-things-in-Scarlet-s-Room-Spoilers/4193104

Since it was not the future, but a possible one, Scarlet could still have created them now.

Yeah, a bit wonky and feels like a retcon (even more, after we speculated this topic so much as we realized that Scarlet was using the watchworks, which work similiar to the steam creatures… ), but it makes sense to a certain agree and keeps the whole thing “simple”

On the other hand it something else we put in Scarlets greedy genius hands, but who counts at this point anyway?

I guess you’re right. I was just a little more annoyed than usual because it was my favourite personal story chain and I’d prefer if Scarlet stayed away from it (especially after her death).

Steam creatures?

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

honestly if you think about it, tying the steam creatures’ background to a branch of the personal story (one of many) that is played off for comic relief more than anything, would be really stupid.

“oh yeah, those monsters attacking lornar’s pass are the creation of the pact commander’s evil twin from another dimension, attacking that place because………?”

just because it was the only explanation at the time doesn’t mean it’s the only explanation. scarlet tampering with robots that obtain self awareness and intelligence, and then dumping them somewhere, is still “too much scarlet doing all the things”, but it makes more sense, and it’s canon for every player.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Steam creatures?

in Lore

Posted by: Horst Hortensie.5420

Horst Hortensie.5420

Mysterious Stranger: Wait until you get to know my creations. In my reality, they conquered Tyria.
Mysterious Stranger: You don’t stand a chance. In your world, this technology hasn’t even been invented yet!

Okay, Scarlet had access to the asuran colleges and could have stolen/copied the infinity ball or it’s technology. But then either is the mysterious stranger wrong or Scarlet set the possible future to impossible before 1320 which opens the question why the PC saw it in 1325?

Slow clap for the great puppet player.

Steam creatures?

in Lore

Posted by: Rhaegar.1203

Rhaegar.1203

It’s a possible future. In one future, your evil self invents this tech, in our future (our current present), Scarlet did.

Which is OK, except for the fact that it’s a blatant attempt at shoehorning Scarlet into every single thing. Feels like the Star Wars prequels.

Steam creatures?

in Lore

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

It’s a possible future. In one future, your evil self invents this tech, in our future (our current present), Scarlet did.

You got me lost at the “in our future (our current present)”. The year in which you see your evil self is 1325.
Ceara had already invented the steam creatures. She invented them before becoming Scarlet, which is before the Thaumanova event, which is before 1325.

Steam creatures?

in Lore

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

Mysterious Stranger: Wait until you get to know my creations. In my reality, they conquered Tyria.
Mysterious Stranger: You don’t stand a chance. In your world, this technology hasn’t even been invented yet!

Okay, Scarlet had access to the asuran colleges and could have stolen/copied the infinity ball or it’s technology. But then either is the mysterious stranger wrong or Scarlet set the possible future to impossible before 1320 which opens the question why the PC saw it in 1325?

Cerea/Scarlet could have been killed by this evil “twin” before she finished the Steam creatures, and he hijacked her plans. It could have been done during her stay in the Colleges. It would be lore friendly and believable, in my book.

Steam creatures?

in Lore

Posted by: Rhaegar.1203

Rhaegar.1203

You got me lost at the “in our future (our current present)”. The year in which you see your evil self is 1325.
Ceara had already invented the steam creatures. She invented them before becoming Scarlet, which is before the Thaumanova event, which is before 1325.

…yep. You’re right, another inconsistency, which is being discussed here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/lore/lore/Scarlet-Briar-A-Timeline/first

Steam creatures?

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

So the writing doesn’t seem to care too much about lore consistency (or perhaps they thought that Scarlet as such a brilliant character is more important than the Asura personal story mission chain), and they stated thta it was Scarlet who invented the Steam creatures. Meanwhile in the Asura PS story with the Infinity Ball (which is still available to this day), the evil version of playable character says that it was him/her who invented them in the first place and used them to conquer Tyria. At first I was okay with that, because I thought that Infinity Ball shows parallel universe, until I remembered about a tiny, very important detail: It’s not a different universe, it’s a possible future of the current one (aka the one where scarlet and our character lives). So where do Steam creatures come from?

Because as we all know, an evil, egotistical version of ourselves would never lie to look more awesome. Villians are always honest upright people that would never hurt anyone. Also, asurans would never take credit for another person’s work.

Steam creatures?

in Lore

Posted by: Gorgaan Peaudesang.8324

Gorgaan Peaudesang.8324

This part of the personal storyline was a little bit “meh” to me, so I’m glad there’s a better explanation regarding those creatures, even if Scarlet is the mother of such things.

Guild Wars 2 Wiki FR contributor

Steam creatures?

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I like to think of it as a fractal (although that’s probably not the best term to use). The future self and steam creatures come not from a parallel dimension or the future but from fractal of a possible future, which was probably also jumbled up because you know fractals.

Steam creatures?

in Lore

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Whatever. My single Asura did not do that path. So, for me, the Steam Creatures have gone from an interesting mystery to “Oh. Scarlet.” and frankly, I no longer care.

And Scarlet remains a ludicrous construct. Now with bandaids.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.