Sya the transgender character.

in Lore

Posted by: Velaethia.6820

Velaethia.6820

First off I’m not sure how friendly in general the forum community is. But if you disagree with the idea of the topic, or feel like arguing, or picking a fight or something please don’t that is not what this is for. Simply leave if you don’t like the topic. Thanks.

So Sya is a characters that appears in lion arch who is transgender which for me is a squee moment. Just because I LOVE lgbt representation and in video games transgender characters are insanely rare. (Honestly the only other one I know of is Krem on DA). Well older games have some ambiguous characters but their oft villains.

In any case I actually have a question regarding her. Not sure if it is known. But she says something about being a mesmer helps her with her transition. But I’m curious can mesmer permanently shapeshift or does she only craft illusions to make her appear as her appearance has changed but has not actually?

I’m also curious as magic is a thing in Gw2 can transgender characters in theory have magical transitional procedures, kind of how there is medical (Technological) surgeries available for transgender people in real life?

Also considering Sylvari. Are all sylvari guaranteed to be born in sex that would allign with their identity since because they are “born” they simply exist as spirits in the dream? Or could they be transgender too like other races born sexually?

Sorry I just love LGBT themes and while gay relationships are pretty self explanatory there is so many questions with transgender characters regarding the lore of a fictional universe.

(edited by Velaethia.6820)

in Lore

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

There was already a big argument about that, with a mostly conclussive last post by Anet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/TY-Anet-for-Transgender-NPC/first

IMO, people who gets offended by something like this choose to feel that. Instead, we should recognize games, as an art-form, needs to reflect and express society as it changes and advance, so this NPC is a very natural, interesting and inevitable development.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

in Lore

Velaethia.6820

There was already a big argument about that, with a mostly conclussive last post by Anet.

IMO, people who gets offended by something like this choose to feel that. Instead, we should recognize games, as an art-form, needs to reflect and express society as it changes and advance, so this NPC is a very natural, interesting and inevitable development.

Curious, did you read my post? I’m not complaining about her. I’m happy to see some more inclusive. The point of the post was lore questions about how transgender characters exist, and function in Gw2 universe.

in Lore

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

I took the “being a mesmer makes it easier” thing to mean that she’s using a permanent illusion. I don’t think there are shapeshifting mesmers. Norn, possibly, but then you’d be stuck being a bear, so… probably not that useful in this scenario.

I’ve been wondering about the (techno-)magical transition, too. I have a headcanon that the asura have developed a process for that long ago. They just seem the type to go “this isn’t the right body – let’s get that fixed asap”. I don’t think there’s a word of god on that, but as long as someone says “nope, doesn’t work that way”, I choose to believe that this is a thing.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

in Lore

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

First of all, sorry that none of my answers are canon, just how I view the game and the lore. With that said, though…

But I’m curious can mesmer permanently shapeshift or does she only craft illusions to make her appear as her appearance has changed but has not actually?

There are a couple of hints that mesmers CAN change things physically. The best known example is the mesmer portal, which can be proven to actually move the people that use it (physical change of location). More to the point, however, there is a story segment (Order of Whispers related) where if you make the right choice, a charr winds up mesmered to look like a human. It could be just an illusion, save that the charr complains that it’s hard to walk without a tail. If it was just an illusion, there would be no such problem, so it’s an actual, physical transformation.

I’m also curious as magic is a thing in Gw2 can transgender characters in theory have magical transitional procedures, kind of how there is medical (Technological) surgeries available for transgender characters in real life?

I’d say the above answers this as well. It may take a lot of work to make such a spell stick, both repeated rituals/castings and expensive spell components, but it should be possible. In fact, I’d say the makeover kits are an actual in-lore item, and consist of limited transformation potions and such components. An expensive item, to be sure, but not an unreasonable one to have in the game. Sya being a mesmer herself, however, means she can likely do most of the work herself given time, and readjust details as needed.

Also considering Sylvari. Are all sylvari guaranteed to be born in sex that would allign with their identity since because they are “born” they simply exist as spirits in the dream? Or could they be transgender too like other races born sexually?

Due to some of the stuff in HoT, I think that a sylvari’s form is somewhat dictated by their mental state and self image. So, it would make sense that they’d be born with a shape that mostly matches their mind. However, not all sylvari start with a strong gender identity, and all of them experience new things after emerging from the Dream. It’s quite possible for their gender identity to change as they learn more and discover how the rest of the world views the gender issue, just as a young child may not care about what gender they are, but it becomes very important to them as they grow older.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in Lore

Velaethia.6820

I took the “being a mesmer makes it easier” thing to mean that she’s using a permanent illusion. I don’t think there are shapeshifting mesmers. Norn, possibly, but then you’d be stuck being a bear, so… probably not that useful in this scenario.

I’ve been wondering about the (techno-)magical transition, too. I have a headcanon that the asura have developed a process for that long ago. They just seem the type to go “this isn’t the right body – let’s get that fixed asap”. I don’t think there’s a word of god on that, but as long as someone says “nope, doesn’t work that way”, I choose to believe that this is a thing.

Well permanent shapeshifting, or shape warping could be an optional form. Like perhaps a Norn if they really want to can enter a permanent bear form. Idk. Asura are straight forward and probably throw you into some scary magi-tech chemical pod that will change your body to your desired form if you requested.

But like, what is the difference between a permanent illusion and an actual transnational shapeshift?

in Lore

Velaethia.6820

Also oh crap I said transgender characters in real life on my OP >_>… #awkward

in Lore

Velaethia.6820

First of all, sorry that none of my answers are canon, just how I view the game and the lore. With that said, though…

But I’m curious can mesmer permanently shapeshift or does she only craft illusions to make her appear as her appearance has changed but has not actually?

There are a couple of hints that mesmers CAN change things physically. The best known example is the mesmer portal, which can be proven to actually move the people that use it (physical change of location). More to the point, however, there is a story segment (Order of Whispers related) where if you make the right choice, a charr winds up mesmered to look like a human. It could be just an illusion, save that the charr complains that it’s hard to walk without a tail. If it was just an illusion, there would be no such problem, so it’s an actual, physical transformation.

I’m also curious as magic is a thing in Gw2 can transgender characters in theory have magical transitional procedures, kind of how there is medical (Technological) surgeries available for transgender characters in real life?

I’d say the above answers this as well. It may take a lot of work to make such a spell stick, both repeated rituals/castings and expensive spell components, but it should be possible. In fact, I’d say the makeover kits are an actual in-lore item, and consist of limited transformation potions and such components. An expensive item, to be sure, but not an unreasonable one to have in the game. Sya being a mesmer herself, however, means she can likely do most of the work herself given time, and readjust details as needed.

Due to some of the stuff in HoT, I think that a sylvari’s form is somewhat dictated by their mental state and self image. So, it would make sense that they’d be born with a shape that mostly matches their mind. However, not all sylvari start with a strong gender identity, and all of them experience new things after emerging from the Dream. It’s quite possible for their gender identity to change as they learn more and discover how the rest of the world views the gender issue, just as a young child may not care about what gender they are, but it becomes very important to them as they grow older.

I like, and am satisfied with ALL of those answers. Thanks. Not 100% canon or not you did indeed pull from various canon sources to make an educated guess based on the information at hand. I may consider RPing a transgender character maybe… I was thinking a Sylvari but eh… I think it’d be stronger in another race. Asura and Char are less sexually dimorphic than other races so it might not have an as interesting effect. Leaving me with Norn and human. and because humans are uber boring that means Norn. Which could be interesting. Norn are based off one of my favourite ancient cultures IRL.

Though TBPH Char and Asura might actually work BETTER being that they are a lot less sexually dimorphic. Hmm… Things to consider.

in Lore

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Well, you’re trying to work out the logic of something that is all about feelings. Those two generally don’t go hand in hand.

Anyway, unless I am mistaken, the Total Makeover Kit is lore approved. You can magically and instantly change your entire character’s physical existence, sans the actual race of your character (though is that a lore limitation or just a mechanic limitation?). It is a wonder how anyone can be trans in Tyria when you aren’t tied to the physical body you were born in, in any sense. Maybe Sya is too poor to afford the gems.

Mesmers are illusionists and hypnotists, so Sya’s form is actually an illusion. There isn’t a physical morph there. Also, last I checked, syvlari are technically aesexual, so their physical bodies are of about as much consequence as their hair color (or leaf color… something like that). Though this wouldn’t prevent a sylvari from eventually adopting the notion that lets them feel like they were born in the wrong body later in life. The total makeover kit still exists in that regard, too.

So as far as I can tell, Sya is in the game not for any sort of in-game purpose, but to win points on a socio-political scoreboard in real life.

See ya next week everybody!

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in Lore

Velaethia.6820

Well, you’re trying to work out the logic of something that is all about feelings. Those two generally don’t go hand in hand.

Anyway, unless I am mistaken, the Total Makeover Kit is lore approved. You can magically and instantly change your entire character’s physical existence, sans the actual race of your character (though is that a lore limitation or just a mechanic limitation?). It is a wonder how anyone can be trans in Tyria when you aren’t tied to the physical body you were born in, in any sense. Maybe Sya is too poor to afford the gems.

Mesmers are illusionists and hypnotists, so Sya’s form is actually an illusion. There isn’t a physical morph there. Also, last I checked, syvlari are technically aesexual, so their physical bodies are of about as much consequence as their hair color (or leaf color… something like that). Though this wouldn’t prevent a sylvari from eventually adopting the notion that lets them feel like they were born in the wrong body later in life. The total makeover kit still exists in that regard, too.

So as far as I can tell, Sya is in the game not for any sort of in-game purpose, but to win points on a socio-political scoreboard in real life.

See ya next week everybody!

Well mind you even post transition a trans person is still trans. So Tyria has trans people rich or poor. They might just not advertise it so to speak. Sya is very open about it. A lot of trans people IRL are not so it begs the idea that might be similar in Tyria. Even if they had transition tools at a young age. Transgender simply means that they identify with a gender in opposition to what they were assigned at birth.

Also as far as I know as I have been told by multiple sources the Sylvari are NOT asexual. Instead they have sex parts they just don’t reproduce sexually. But they still can have sex as their form is apparently based on humans.

(edited by Velaethia.6820)

in Lore

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

in Lore

Velaethia.6820

Curious: Relevance?

Are you saying Sylvari can do that? Not sure about that unless their is confirmation. Simply because that effects mostly simplistic life forms. Sylvari are anything but simplistic. However this is also a universe with magic so anything is possible.

in Lore

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

1- My post was only a reminder of the other topic and of my opinion on that, to let things in that matter for solved. I never asumed OP has a problem with the NPC, but that some people would do.

2- It is important to separate the game mechanics from the actual “fantasy world”. The relation between both is not really seamless, and the mechanic aspect tends to overshadow some things that otherwise would be way more deeper and complex to do. IMO the Total Makeover Kit falls in those places: although it can be lore aproved, it is not a round, integral part of lore. If it were, transgender issues will barely exist in tyria. I take it as the sex-change belt in D&D: while it do exist in the world, it is probably a very rare and controvertial item, not a commonplace commodity.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

in Lore

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I’d say cost IS the reason why it’s still an issue, and why Sya is glad to be a mesmer.

Yes, we can afford these makeover kits, but you have to remember that our characters are NOT normal. In Tyria terms, most of us are wealthy beyond measure. For a normal person, a makeover kit costs a serious fortune, maybe more than they’ll ever see in one lump sum in their entire lifetime.

Yes, some NPCs could afford it, but the vast majority of them could not. Unless they’re a skilled mesmer or can call in a big favor from one, they’re pretty much stuck as they are. Thus, it’s still an issue even if there is magic to address the problem.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in Lore

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

Are we honestly surprised that the profession that can turn people into Moas have some capacity to physically alter people?

in Lore

Posted by: MatthewMedina

MatthewMedina

Content Designer

In any case I actually have a question regarding her. Not sure if it is known. But she says something about being a mesmer helps her with her transition. But I’m curious can mesmer permanently shapeshift or does she only craft illusions to make her appear as her appearance has changed but has not actually?

Mesmers don’t usually shapeshift in the way that term is usually meant; they use glamors and illusions to fool the senses into perceiving an appearance that is different from what it genuinely is. The exception to that is the “moa” elite skill since, as a polymorph, that affects characters outside themselves. But that’s a pretty specialized skill whose origins remain somewhat mysterious. If Sya has determined a way to use her polymorph abilities to shapeshift it would be pretty revolutionary, and probably very costly!

But mesmers don’t need to use that much magic to keep up smaller illusions, and those that are cast frequently and kept up for long periods might very well be considered “permanent” enough for someone like Sya, and a lot less costly than using a polymorph. Kasmeer herself has alluded in the past to the notion that her clothing might very well just be an illusion, and while there are those who believe that was just her way of being playful, the best mesmers are those who will always leave you wondering whether you can ever trust your senses again. :-)

in Lore

Posted by: Nero.8047

Nero.8047

Just imagine a situation where Kasmeer’s mesmerisms for some reason don’t work on someone who then perceives Kasmeer as well.. without her clothing.

“Oh hey nice… underwear.”

Paragon of the Seraphim Order [Ankh]
a small, casual Guild with a play as you want style.

in Lore

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I would think a sylvari would have the easiest time of any race if they wanted to swap genders. We already have canon that they can alter their physical appearance dramatically (see: Canach). Their clothes grow out of their bodies and I’m fairly sure a dev has previously stated that they can “shed” the petals and grow new, different ones reasonably easily. It seems to me that a determined or curious enough ’vari could simply regrow/reshape him or herself as desired.

Though I feel they might not necessarily feel misaligned, as gender doesn’t seem to matter to them any more than hair color does to us, and would make the swap because they like to try new things more than because they feel they are “wrong” as they are.

I hope Sya can find a way to do it as more than an illusion. It seems a little draining to always have to wear a mask just to make others perceive you as you perceive yourself.

in Lore

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

You’d think the Asura would be able to do a Tyria equivalent of gender reassignment surgery or something. For people looking for a more…I guess solid solution than just using mesmer illusions. They were the explanation for the “Total Makeover” in GW1, in which you (the PC) can change your gender, and as far as I know, they managed to never botch a surgery.
I also don’t know how canon that service was. It may have just been a fun kind of throwaway explanation for how you can change your appearance, but wasn’t really meant to be taken seriously.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

in Lore

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Yup, I can see it now, an Asura with a pair of over-sized sheers looming over you with their sharp-toothed grin as you drift into unconsciousness before the surgery begins…

in Lore

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Atypical characters like those are rare because they are rarely done right. Many developers will shy away from things they don’t think they can present the way they want. And since not everyone knows someone they could ask or have the resources to find or pay someone to ask (or don’t even think about asking), the result is a lower representation of those characters.

When developers try to force such things, they’ll be done bad, and people will notice . Like how badly the writing was in the latest Baldur’s Gate revival expansions. The developers echoed the words of some retrograde bigots as an excuse, but most of the disgruntled customers didn’t really care about that, but about how badly writted and unnaturally presented they were, and the countless bugs lowering the quality of the game.

On the other hand, In GW2, things like the relationship between Marjory and Kasmeer, Sya and other small details less people notice presented openly or just hinted, are put before the players so casually and naturally that you never see such reactions.

The complains are always on the sore spots, like how some people don’t like certain aspects of the personal story, specially compared with the living story chapters that are usually considered to be better, or the nonsensical changes done to the story along NPE.

As for GW2, in my eyes Makeover kits are part of the lore since the addition of the Anatomical Engineer in GW1. So I wish Sya should have used that instead illusions. Why bothering with mesmer illusions if you can make real permanent changes with asura science perfected over 250 years with experiments on unknowing humans who not only volunteered to test it, but even funded the research?

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Lore

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Curious: Relevance?

Are you saying Sylvari can do that? Not sure about that unless their is confirmation. Simply because that effects mostly simplistic life forms. Sylvari are anything but simplistic. However this is also a universe with magic so anything is possible.

As donari mentions, Sylvari are capable of literally growing battle armor on par with steel. In a day. Or two. So it really isnt that hard to think that a sylvari would, could, and probably HAS grown a kitten, or two, or more, if they really wanted to. Or any other dangly bits. But that’s enough straying into unpaid hazard areas. Suffice it to say that it’s possible.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

As for GW2, in my eyes Makeover kits are part of the lore since the addition of the Anatomical Engineer in GW1. So I wish Sya should have used that instead illusions. Why bothering with mesmer illusions if you can make real permanent changes with asura science perfected over 250 years with experiments on unknowing humans who not only volunteered to test it, but even funded the research?

Perhaps a Total Makeover Kit is just too expensive for someone living on a budget? Perhaps the illusion is just a temporary fix? Who knows? We don’t really have a good idea of what the income of npc’s is in comparison to that of us adventurers.

in Lore

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Perhaps a Total Makeover Kit is just too expensive for someone living on a budget? Perhaps the illusion is just a temporary fix? Who knows? We don’t really have a good idea of what the income of npc’s is in comparison to that of us adventurers.

That was my thinking too.

Or maybe, having been involved in the evacuation of Lion’s Arch she’s reluctant to give money to Evon Gnashblade.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Very true. It would be incredibly hard to use your money to support someone who has reacted like Gnashblade. I mean, first he abandoned the city after getting as many of his goods out as possible, and then he used the quartermaster responsibility that Ellen Keil gave him to push out competition and solidify his standing.

in Lore

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

I dont know the last thing I want is a reflection of real life when I play games, I see your point but really I prefer fictional politics and religion or whatever, if there is going to be any.

in Lore

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

What happened to my America……..

in Lore

Posted by: Animism.9803

Animism.9803

You say it is rare to see in games; I don’t think it’s rare in GW2. Main characters of the storyline are lesbians and then again, potential lesbians. No gay dudes though. Always about the chicks and bewbs apparently, that’s life. Main male characters include Canach; the randomly passionate one, Rytlock; the overly abrasive one and Braham; the small mood-swinging friendly giant. Might have forgotton Logan – but I don’t think anyone cares about that character, lets be honest.

Pretty sure the almost ‘new-age’ touch was intentional in attempt to interest a larger demographic, but I think it had an opposite effect in that it lost touch with main story elements.

in Lore

Posted by: JMNZ.7619

JMNZ.7619

Mesmers don’t usually shapeshift in the way that term is usually meant; they use glamors and illusions to fool the senses into perceiving an appearance that is different from what it genuinely is. The exception to that is the “moa” elite skill since, as a polymorph, that affects characters outside themselves. But that’s a pretty specialized skill whose origins remain somewhat mysterious. If Sya has determined a way to use her polymorph abilities to shapeshift it would be pretty revolutionary, and probably very costly!

But mesmers don’t need to use that much magic to keep up smaller illusions, and those that are cast frequently and kept up for long periods might very well be considered “permanent” enough for someone like Sya, and a lot less costly than using a polymorph. Kasmeer herself has alluded in the past to the notion that her clothing might very well just be an illusion, and while there are those who believe that was just her way of being playful, the best mesmers are those who will always leave you wondering whether you can ever trust your senses again. :-)

SPOILERS, ESPER Specialization Confirm

in Lore

Animism.9803

I actually just thought about the possibility of adding more realism into the story. Sexism and chauvinistic behaviors. This isn’t meant to resemble a modern society, and is somewhat an ‘older’ fantasy world. It’s just a random example of how the story doesn’t feel very realistic. It’s not meant to encourage it, just like adding a couple lesbians into the story for effect doesn’t encourage behaviour, it is just a game after all.

There are shamanic grawl, can’t we have them talking about gender pairing just for increased believability of the world, and I don’t literally mean make the grawl do this specifically.

There are just so many things that could make the world seem better.

Again, shamanic grawl, barely hear anything god-wise in GW2. I miss the gods and the feel of reflected traits from said deity’s.

I suppose I could go on forever about sections of the lore and world which don’t really add up.

in Lore

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

I actually just thought about the possibility of adding more realism into the story. Sexism and chauvinistic behaviors. This isn’t meant to resemble a modern society, and is somewhat an ‘older’ fantasy world. It’s just a random example of how the story doesn’t feel very realistic. It’s not meant to encourage it, just like adding a couple lesbians into the story for effect doesn’t encourage behaviour, it is just a game after all.

Err, there IS sexism and chauvanistic behavior. Are you forgetting how the Flame Legion have enslaved their women and use them as maids, cooks, and sex slaves? Or how the Sons of Svanir insult you if you’re playing a female in your personal story, refuse to allow women to join their ranks, and constantly talk about how weak and nagging women are?

In fact the literal fight for equal rights was a big part of the Charr civil war and why the other Legions are fighting the Flame Legion right now.

Also keep in mind that just because their technology is in an older epoch than ours does not necessarily mean they are culturally behind us as well. Our modern world has never had to deal with entirely different species trying to wipe us out (humans tried to wipe out the charr then the charr tried in kind), nor have we been pushed near extinction by massive dragons that can wipe out entire kingdoms in a day.

In a world where the apocalypse has been on our collective doorstep for the last two hundred years and in which entirely different species have been trying to literally eat us for the last thousand years, doesn’t it make sense that we stopped caring about what parts you have between your legs when deciding who is the most capable for a job?

Not to mention humanity had real, physical gods who shaped all of human culture. If Balthazar himself told me it was okay for women to fight I wouldn’t argue.

in Lore

Animism.9803

Err, there IS sexism and chauvanistic behavior. Are you forgetting how the Flame Legion have enslaved their women and use them as maids, cooks, and sex slaves? Or how the Sons of Svanir insult you if you’re playing a female in your personal story, refuse to allow women to join their ranks, and constantly talk about how weak and nagging women are?

In fact the literal fight for equal rights was a big part of the Charr civil war and why the other Legions are fighting the Flame Legion right now.

Also keep in mind that just because their technology is in an older epoch than ours does not necessarily mean they are culturally behind us as well. Our modern world has never had to deal with entirely different species trying to wipe us out (humans tried to wipe out the charr then the charr tried in kind), nor have we been pushed near extinction by massive dragons that can wipe out entire kingdoms in a day.

In a world where the apocalypse has been on our collective doorstep for the last two hundred years and in which entirely different species have been trying to literally eat us for the last thousand years, doesn’t it make sense that we stopped caring about what parts you have between your legs when deciding who is the most capable for a job?

Not to mention humanity had real, physical gods who shaped all of human culture. If Balthazar himself told me it was okay for women to fight I wouldn’t argue.

Yes, forgotten most of that because it is so underplayed in the realism of the world.
The gods make no such mention of course, and if I remember rightly, actually took forms that almost mimicked traits by gender. Of course this goes into a different topic, but it did make for a more fitting world which was to be portrayed.

I mean… where are the xenophobes in GW2 hellbent on ridding the Sylvari from the world? It should be present given the nature and story surrounding the Sylvari. Everything is just presented as a ‘given’, attitudes of the notorious Asura and Charr are worlds apart, yet you rarely hear dialogue highlighting the juxtaposition – which is typical behavour.

in Lore

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Yes, forgotten most of that because it is so underplayed in the realism of the world.
The gods make no such mention of course, and if I remember rightly, actually took forms that almost mimicked traits by gender. Of course this goes into a different topic, but it did make for a more fitting world which was to be portrayed.

I mean… where are the xenophobes in GW2 hellbent on ridding the Sylvari from the world? It should be present given the nature and story surrounding the Sylvari. Everything is just presented as a ‘given’, attitudes of the notorious Asura and Charr are worlds apart, yet you rarely hear dialogue highlighting the juxtaposition – which is typical behavour.

Not that underplayed. The charr personal story shows the Flame Legion trying to recruit a female of the Blood Legion by telling her she could be a cook, and there’s a huge statue of Kalla who lead the revolution of females against the Flame Legion. The Sons of Svanir are VERY open about their misogyny in the norn personal story, especially if you play a female character.

And again this is a world where there are a HUGE number of intelligent races. Why would Sylvari be focused on any more than Hylek or Kodan? Most of the xenophobia humans have is rightfully directed to races that have actively antagonized them like the charr and centaur, which is quite prevalent in the story and NPC dialogue.

As for Sylvari hate specifically, look around Lion’s Arch. There’s a murderer on the loose specifically targeting Sylvari. Then the HoT story line does have NPCs mistrusting you for being a Sylvari, and you have the option of mistrusting Sylvari as the PC. In fact there’s an event chain in Verdant Brink where a group of Vigil soldiers go out hunting and killing innocent Sylvari and you have to stop them.

in Lore

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Another, older Sylvari-hating example: Before the New Lion’s Arch remodel, there was an Asura Lionguard patrolling with a human newbie Lionguard. At the end of their patrol, the Asura verbally and almost physically assaults a Sylvari citizen who was standing outside of his former home.