Sylvaris first time in Elona

in Lore

Posted by: SunRain.8972

SunRain.8972

So i assume this will be the Sylvaris first time ever in Elona, or interacting with humans from another continent where they go to for the first time.
Would humans from Elona be surprised by Sylvaris? Shocked? they definitly saw death in their life so it would be less scarry but might be awe-worthy.
Also, i remember sylvaris do like to talk cultural fashion stuff, you have Sylvaris in the grove speak about their armor looking better.
a better example that i could give for a Sylvaris experience of Elona would be: a Sylvari can change its hairstyle (As you can see with Scarlet changing her hair from living world season 2 ) what would be the reason for a Sylvari to change its hair to something that would resemble a more Elonian look?
how would you think Sylvaris react to Elona? Especially Valiants, Sapplings or Wyld hunters.

“From the place where we are right
Flowers will never grow
In the spring.” – Yehuda Amichai

(edited by SunRain.8972)

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

There were a few sylvari who joined the Zephyrites during Bazaar of the Four Winds (before the visit Aeryn joined) where they went to unknown lands. Elona could be included. We also know that Priory traveled to the Crystal Desert in recent years, and sylvari could have been among the expedition. On top of that, we know the Order of Whispers maintained contact, so another avenue for a sylvari to have gone to Elona.

I doubt they’d overly react any more than they would going to Ascalon for the first time, really. Just a different attitude towards climate.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As Konig said it’s likely at least some Elonians have encountered sylvari before, or know about them. So I doubt they’ll be totally confused. Especially since plant people aren’t a big step up from the Jacaranda, Iboga and other plant ‘animals’ in Elona.

If anything I expect them to be more surprised to see Krytans and charr on such good terms.

Having said that it would be nice if at least some people (particularly children) did react to them as I doubt everyone will have seen sylvari. A white friend of mine is currently travelling through some remote parts of Indonesia and even though everyone she meets is obviously aware white people exist and has almost certainly met them before a lot of people stop her for photos, or want to tell her exactly how many white people have visited their market/village/island before. (Or ask if she knows where she is, where she’s going, how far away it is and if she’s absolutely sure she’s not lost.) There’s certainly an element of novelty to it. I imagine it would be similar with some Elonians and sylvari. Possibly asura, norn and charr too since I doubt many of them live in Elona.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Lore

Posted by: cymn.7384

cymn.7384

Having said that it would be nice if at least some people (particularly children) did react to them as I doubt everyone will have seen sylvari.

They already did that!
In Amnoon city’s streets, there is a Priory sylvari walking around. Behind him, you can find 2 kids being obviously curious and following him, asking themselves what he is. (“Are those leafs under his armor?” or something along those lines). So at least the children don’t really know about the sylvari.

in Lore

Danikat.8537

Having said that it would be nice if at least some people (particularly children) did react to them as I doubt everyone will have seen sylvari.

They already did that!
In Amnoon city’s streets, there is a Priory sylvari walking around. Behind him, you can find 2 kids being obviously curious and following him, asking themselves what he is. (“Are those leafs under his armor?” or something along those lines). So at least the children don’t really know about the sylvari.

Oh cool! I missed that, but then I don’t think I spent much time in Amnoon as I was busy falling off cliffs exploring the desert and trying out the raptors jump ability during the beta.

in Lore

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

how would you think Sylvaris react to Elona? Especially Valiants, Sapplings or Wyld hunters.

Sylvari are often portrayed as curious explorers. In Divinitys Reach theres a Sylvari “traveler” who asks questions and demonstrates find the urban environment a bit weird.

in LS2 theres Caithe memoirs, we can see some of it too.

in Lore

Posted by: Redrobin.5627

Redrobin.5627

I’m honestly hoping for more desert inspired hair and to see if the dragon minion thing racism thing grows.

in Lore

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

I’m honestly hoping for more desert inspired hair and to see if the dragon minion thing racism thing grows.

Eh, probably not, the anti-sylvari story branch is a dead one. HoT was the Xpack with a strong sylvari theme, PoF is looking to be a Human themed one.

Hate is Fuel.

in Lore

Danikat.8537

Eh, probably not, the anti-sylvari story branch is a dead one. HoT was the Xpack with a strong sylvari theme, PoF is looking to be a Human themed one.

And already some people are claiming the entire game is, and always has been, humancentric, like they claimed it was entirely sylvaricentric during HoT.

I think you’re right though. There was a lot of distrust of sylvari after Scarlet, Aerin and then the whole revelation with Mordremoth. But I think it’s calming down now that Mordremoths influence is gone and we’re back to threats coming from all angles.

Also none of that affected Elona, as far as we know. I think they might be suspicious of the sylvari, and I don’t suppose hearing that they were meant to be dragon minions will help, but I think in general Elonians would treat them like any other outsiders.

in Lore

The Greyhawk.9107

And already some people are claiming the entire game is, and always has been, humancentric, like they claimed it was entirely sylvaricentric during HoT.

I think you’re right though. There was a lot of distrust of sylvari after Scarlet, Aerin and then the whole revelation with Mordremoth. But I think it’s calming down now that Mordremoths influence is gone and we’re back to threats coming from all angles.

Also none of that affected Elona, as far as we know. I think they might be suspicious of the sylvari, and I don’t suppose hearing that they were meant to be dragon minions will help, but I think in general Elonians would treat them like any other outsiders.

I’d less say “died down” and more “it was a promised storyline that got dropped for ‘reasons’”, basically it got flubbed. Which is too bad, but its really too late now.

Hate is Fuel.

(edited by The Greyhawk.9107)

in Lore

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

As far as sylvari distrust goes, I think most people realized that it was Mordremoth who was corrupting them, and thus with Mordremoth’s death, there’s not really a reason to distrust sylvari any more. Even the sting of the Nightmare Court is lessened, if Faolain’s death and Duchess Chrysanthea’s help is any indication.

Claiming the game is biased to one race is pretty ridiculous. Yes, HoT was extremely biased towards a sylvari storyline, but even the asura got some slight focus with Rata Novus, even if the city was wiped out long before we got there. We’ve only seen one-third of the first map of PoF, roughly, so we don’t know what other races we’ll come across besides the humans in Amnoon. I think it’s even too early to call this a human-centric expansion, even if Vabbi was mostly human in population.There are 4 other maps we’re not aware of, and we don’t even know where they all piece together.

I am a little disappointed there’s not more curiosity from the Elonians at the non-humans they meet. Yes, there was an asura gate that popped up on Istan to link to Eye of the North 250 years ago, so they might of met the asura or the norn, possibly even Pyre’s warband. I guess magical plants are just more common in Elona these days than they are back in the Krytan lands.

in Lore

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

If anything I expect them to be more surprised to see Krytans and charr on such good terms.

their relationship with the Charr may be somewhat better that we’d assume, don’t forget that the Sentinels patrol and contain the Dragonbrand and Branded, so it’s possible that they’ve had some contact with Amnoon for supplies or preventing Branded incursions.

in Lore

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

I’d less say “died down” and more “it was a promised storyline that got dropped for ‘reasons’”, basically it got flubbed. Which is too bad, but its really too late now.

Since LS3, its seems the direction is to complete old plots holes and unsolved misteries, some link to GW1 to please old game base player.

Very few people noticed that last chapter “One path ends” fulfilled an old request from users, for the game show Orr post-Zhaithan recovery. and I think it was very well implemented.

in Lore

The Greyhawk.9107

Claiming the game is biased to one race is pretty ridiculous. Yes, HoT was extremely biased towards a sylvari storyline, but even the asura got some slight focus with Rata Novus, even if the city was wiped out long before we got there. We’ve only seen one-third of the first map of PoF, roughly, so we don’t know what other races we’ll come across besides the humans in Amnoon. I think it’s even too early to call this a human-centric expansion, even if Vabbi was mostly human in population.There are 4 other maps we’re not aware of, and we don’t even know where they all piece together.

Whats wrong with each of the Expansion packs focusing on a different race? It does honestly seem like that is what they are doing.

Hate is Fuel.

in Lore

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

Whats wrong with each of the Expansion packs focusing on a different race? It does honestly seem like that is what they are doing.

There’s nothing wrong with an expansion highlighting one of the races, and I never said that there was. All I said was it’s far too early to claim that Path of Fire is going to be mostly or solely human. All we know is that Amnoon is populated mostly by humans, and not a thing about any of the other maps. Perhaps there’s a lost squad of charr out near the brand. Perhaps we will find a Pale Tree somewhere in Elona (although why would be beyond me). We might even find an asura lab somewhere in the desert, although it’d most likely be an Inquest lab because that’s how these things usually end up.

in Lore

The Greyhawk.9107

There’s nothing wrong with an expansion highlighting one of the races, and I never said that there was. All I said was it’s far too early to claim that Path of Fire is going to be mostly or solely human. All we know is that Amnoon is populated mostly by humans, and not a thing about any of the other maps. Perhaps there’s a lost squad of charr out near the brand. Perhaps we will find a Pale Tree somewhere in Elona (although why would be beyond me). We might even find an asura lab somewhere in the desert, although it’d most likely be an Inquest lab because that’s how these things usually end up.

These are all true, but there is a difference between possible and plausible (though, the idea of a lost charr warband in the desert is somewhat interesting) and at this time, until proven wrong, I think its fair to say that PoF is probably human centric. Also, the presence of some story elements of the other races wouldn’t necessarily invalidate the assertion of a single race being the primary thematic focus of an Xpack. Like the Rata Novus in HoT, its a bit of another race, but somewhat indirectly, within an Xpack that’s still very much a Sylvari centric story.

Hate is Fuel.

in Lore

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

These are all true, but there is a difference between possible and plausible (though, the idea of a lost charr warband in the desert is somewhat interesting) and at this time, until proven wrong, I think its fair to say that PoF is probably human centric. Also, the presence of some story elements of the other races wouldn’t necessarily invalidate the assertion of a single race being the primary thematic focus of an Xpack. Like the Rata Novus in HoT, its a bit of another race, but somewhat indirectly, within an Xpack that’s still very much a Sylvari centric story.

Rather than being human-centric, I see this expansion as being an exploration of Guild Wars 1 lore, particularly the end of Prophecies and Nightfall. Most of GW2 is based on the GW1 Expac, Eye of the North, which was the first expansion that included races other than humans. Even then, those races weren’t playable. As this expansion moves deeper into the world’s lore, there’s going to be a lot of human focus simply because that’s what the lore was originally about.

So it’s less “Hey this is all about humans” and more about “Hey this is all about Elena, the Crystal Desert, and the Gods. And oh yeah have a giant bunny mount.”

in Lore

The Greyhawk.9107

Rather than being human-centric, I see this expansion as being an exploration of Guild Wars 1 lore, particularly the end of Prophecies and Nightfall. Most of GW2 is based on the GW1 Expac, Eye of the North, which was the first expansion that included races other than humans. Even then, those races weren’t playable. As this expansion moves deeper into the world’s lore, there’s going to be a lot of human focus simply because that’s what the lore was originally about.

So it’s less “Hey this is all about humans” and more about “Hey this is all about Elena, the Crystal Desert, and the Gods. And oh yeah have a giant bunny mount.”

Well, I can’t say that I agree with that view insofar as it’d be “Elona, GW1 and the Six Gods rather than Humans” when it to me would be “Elona, GW1, The Six And Humans”. But honestly none of this is written in stone and if that’s how you’d prefer to think of it, I won’t stop you.

Hate is Fuel.

in Lore

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

Well, I can’t say that I agree with that view insofar as it’d be “Elona, GW1 and the Six Gods rather than Humans” when it to me would be “Elona, GW1, The Six And Humans”. But honestly none of this is written in stone and if that’s how you’d prefer to think of it, I won’t stop you.

To be fair, it would be difficult to stop me from thinking things. Unless you have some sort of mind-control ray.

…You don’t have one of those, right?

in Lore

The Greyhawk.9107

To be fair, it would be difficult to stop me from thinking things. Unless you have some sort of mind-control ray.

…You don’t have one of those, right?

I can neither confirm nor deny.

Hate is Fuel.

in Lore

Posted by: Arden.7480

Arden.7480

I think you forgot about Caithe, she was there already. 10 years ago, most likely many times before the Destiny’s Edge breakdown.

“The Elder Dragon is no more”

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

We know she went to the northern edge of the desert at the point where Destiny’s Edge broke, but there’s no particular reason to think she’d been there before.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.