Sylvary/Engineer after GW1

in Lore

Posted by: Lord De Galelly.9735

Lord De Galelly.9735

Hello,

I am new to gw lore. Gw2 is the first game I played and wanted to know if engineer and sylvari are the new things added from gw1. I read guardians came from paladins or something from elona and the rest were the same.

Wanted to make a combination of the newest class and race tht didnt exist in gw1 so was thinking if sylvari engineer was the one.

Thank You.

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

It does appear as if engineers have been added: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Profession

Sylvari definitely have been added, as a race they’re only a few decades old.

in Lore

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

engineers were created by charr, especially with the invention of gunpowder which wasn’t present in gw1. So sylvari engineer is a rather new combination. Guardians and Thieves also weren’t present in gw1, but thieves are basically updated assassins and guardians are an amalgamation of monks, paragons, and rits, which were all gw1 professions.

in Lore

Posted by: Equinox.4968

Equinox.4968

In GW1, there were Canthan (basically Asian) ritualists, a class that used ancestor worship, spirits, and the ashes of dead heroes to fight their enemies. They used stationary spirits to create either field-type effects for allies or attacked enemies like turrets. That’s essentially where the concept of engineer turrets in GW2 came from, and the rest of the class’s design came from the Renaissance/industrial era setting of present-day Tyria.

Guardians are essentially the successors to the monks, paragons, and dervishes of GW1. Monks were healers whose powers were derived from their faith in the human gods, and dervishes were Elonian (North African/Middle Eastern) nomads who used scythes and earth- and wind-based attacks that were also fueled by their prayers to the gods. Paragons were Elonian heavy armor users who attacked with throwing spears and used shouts and chants to buff party members, and had a lot to do with the burning condition. They also had some ties to the human gods, but their powers were more about commanding and inspiring their allies while attacking from the back lines. In GW2, guardians obviously couldn’t be based on the 6 gods because the norn are shamanists/animists, the charr are atheists, the sylvari are agnostics, and the asura are basically Buddhist scientists, so instead of faith in divinity, the class is based on faith in one’s self and beliefs. The guardian has burning from the monk and the paragon, shouts from the paragon, self- and party-buffs from the paragon and dervish, and spirit weapons from the ritualist. There’s also healing from all 4 of those classes, each of which had at least a moderate amount of healing ability (monks were the #1 healers in GW1, and ritualists were pretty good too).

I personally have a sylvari engineer. I figured that since the sylvari are naturally curious and like exploring and learning about the world, it would make sense for at least some of them to enjoy discovering how to direct their curiosity and intelligence towards such things machines and chemistry/alchemy. I don’t RP, but from an RP perspective, a sylvari engineer might have a special insight regarding the natural materials and chemicals used to create gunpowder, flamethrower fuel, and elixirs, and might have better designs for turrets and other devices because of his understanding of how organic structures work and his knowledge of physics in nature.

in Lore

Lord De Galelly.9735

cool thx for the replies so basically engineers are like the newest unique profession tht didnt exist and guardians r just a mix. Was curious cuz engineer class seems to me most unique class in all mmos since from warrior/guard/thief ele ranger and mesmer seems generic mmo classes. Thx ill make a sylvari engineer then since those 2 are newest additions.

in Lore

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

Hello,

I am new to gw lore. Gw2 is the first game I played and wanted to know if engineer and sylvari are the new things added from gw1. I read guardians came from paladins or something from elona and the rest were the same.

Wanted to make a combination of the newest class and race tht didnt exist in gw1 so was thinking if sylvari engineer was the one.

Thank You.

Welcome to the ranks, Soldier!

Yes, Engineers (aka Engies) and Sylvari (aka Salads) are new to the GW universe. There’s alot of lore about these two groups. Be sure to read the wiki and play through the Personal Story (PS) in your spare time. My main is a Sylvari Engie, so I can definitely say that they’re alot of fun to play.

Some tips:

— Just be sure to practice your dodging skills and timing when to use elixirs.

— Make use of food buffs and potion buffs.

— Engies can self-revive and revive other using Elixir R. When your HP drops to a very low level, use the elixir and the character should revive when it goes down. You can also toss an Elixir R onto dying PC allies and it will revive them. This takes alot of practice so be patient if you don’t get it the first time.

— If you decided to use Grenades as your Engie’s main weapon, consider investing in a Gaming mouse (the kind that has extra numbered buttons on the side). It will make using Grenades alot easier.

If you’re on the Tarnished Coast server, you’ll sometimes hear me on the TC Mumble chat (esp. the Eternal Battlegrounds channel).

Again, Welcome to GW2! Enjoy your stay!

Sincerely,

Kta
Semi Hardcore gamer & Personal Story / Living Story Roleplayer
In game name: Commander Lapis N Lazuli (aka Lapis “The Salad Shooter” Lazuli)

(edited by kta.6502)

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

engineers were created by charr, especially with the invention of gunpowder which wasn’t present in gw1. So sylvari engineer is a rather new combination. Guardians and Thieves also weren’t present in gw1, but thieves are basically updated assassins and guardians are an amalgamation of monks, paragons, and rits, which were all gw1 professions.

nitpickery but the charr didn’t create blackpowder. Dwarves did.There is even a dude named Blackpowder. The charr took the invention from the dwarven ruins. They did, however, invent guns – not cannons though.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Welcome Here’s some lore links on engineer and guardian to help get you started.

Eric Flannum: Engineer technology really developed with the Charr first and foremost. And its one of the specialties developed by the Charr Iron Legion. When we talk about the Engineer he is very much a Combat-Engineer and good in inventing things that are useful in a combat situation. The Iron Legion is the start of all of this, and the Engineer profession has spread to the other races from there. The People of Tyria have seen it in combat over the past few years and have seen the effectiveness of an engineer. And so you are going to see Engineers of all races although it is a little bit more common to see a Charr Engineer than anybody else. So it all started with the Charr and their technological development. http://www.wartower.de/artikel/artikel.php?id=562

Is there a story behind the Guardian on the lore end of things? Do you have any thoughts on how it came to be?

Jeff Grubb: With the turmoil in Elona and the spread of the Order of Whispers into other lands, more Paragon teaching showed elsewhere in Tyria. These teachings melded with other traditions, and over time, the Guardians and their abilities can be found throughout the world and among all the races. They are not tied to a particular race, philosophy, or group of gods but rather to a larger concept of proactive defense, of taking the fight to a foe and protecting those you fight alongside while appealing equally to humanity’s defensive nature and the Charr’s desire to rule the battlefield.

I think the Guardian is much more of a pragmatic and tactical user of a magic as opposed to an Elementalist, who is a pure student of magic. The Elementalist casts discrete spells, and you have the feeling that there is a heritage and body of knowledge behind those spells. Guardians seem to use magical energy in the heat of combat, from the front line. That sense of immediacy sets the Guardian apart from more traditional spell-casters and allows for a heavily armored magical character. http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01/31/behind-the-scenes-with-the-guild-wars-2-guardian-massivelys-in/

in Lore

Lord De Galelly.9735

coll thx for the replies and thx for welcoming me. I made a sylvari engineer which looks like a biker gang dude lol.

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

I’ve heard that Sea of Sorrows states Guardians to basically be Monks, with a bit of Paragon and a dash of ritualistic magic.

in Lore

Equinox.4968

I’ve heard that Sea of Sorrows states Guardians to basically be Monks, with a bit of Paragon and a dash of ritualistic magic.

That’s basically it, but outside of some possible paragons in hiding in Elona, those old classes no longer exist in Tyria.

in Lore

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Miyani appears to be a paragon. She’s a Sunspear and is wearing paragon armor.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/2/23/Miyani.jpg

in Lore

Equinox.4968

Just because she’s a Sunspear doesn’t mean she’s a paragon. We would need further details in order to confirm this.

in Lore

Fluffball.8307

There is no confirmation since we don’t know anything about her. That’s why I said she appears to be one since she is a Sunspear and is wearing paragon armor.

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

Miyani appears to be a paragon. She’s a Sunspear and is wearing paragon armor.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/2/23/Miyani.jpg

A: Sunspear doesn’t = Paragon automatically
B: That armor can be worn by guardians or warriors. It’s plate armor, similar to some nightfall paragon armor styles, but not an exact match nor truly distinctive.

“Paragon” is likely still around, though obviously in Elona only mainly. Plenty of undead were Paragons in Joko’s forces in Nightfall.

in Lore

Fluffball.8307

It’s very close to heavy Sunspear armor (which admittedly some of the warriors wore as well.)

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/9/9a/Sunspear_f_armored.jpg

Sunspear does not equal paragon, but paragon does equal Sunspear.

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

It’s very close to heavy Sunspear armor (which admittedly some of the warriors wore as well.)

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/9/9a/Sunspear_f_armored.jpg

Sunspear does not equal paragon, but paragon does equal Sunspear.

And a number of sunspears joined Joko, as well as various awakened (Joko’s undead) who were Paragons completely and utterly.

Elona is home of sunspears and paragons, but being a Paragon doesn’t automatically mean you are a sunspear. The general who joins you (Kournan) as a hero (I forget his name) as one after all.

in Lore

Fluffball.8307

Ah you’re right. I was thinking in my mind he was a Sunspear as well as in the Kournan military, since Sunspears are stationed all over Elona, but I don’t see anything to back that up.