Taimi in the context of tyria

in Lore

Posted by: novaspire.9801

novaspire.9801

I see a lot of folks nowadays praise taimi, and her story, but I have not once felt she was appropriate to the world of guild wars 2. Before you start brandashing pitchforks and torches let me explain.

As long as taimi lives, and is following the commander, there can be no tension to the story anymore, none. This is for all intents and purposes, a disabled child, that granted has a golem following them, but is able to survive the harshest jungle environments basically on her own. If you were to argue that she is able to survive as easily as she does, no other asura would feasibly die within tyria, as frankly a weak powerless little creature can get to the heart of the most dangerous areas without a scratch. Even with the golem argument, every single asura is able to build golems, several more technically advanced then hers ( snaff and sandy anyone? ), so it makes no sense that any asura would die.

The second most important part of this is that taimi is a child. A child for kitten’s sake! How can anyone feel threatened in a world where children wander off perfectly fine in unexplored areas. And yet we have adult characters, battle hardened for years being felled by what are to us, fairly weak minions.

I can’t say whether it was felt taimi was a good choice to include for expositions sake, just to have an asura be important in destinys edge 2.0, or to appeal to a certain market, but as long as she continues to live as arrogantly and easily as she does, there will be no tension in any of the story. No characters deaths will be realistic. There wont be any fear to anything anymore because hey, the small disabled child is fine so whats the danger.

I dunno, I’d like to see other peoples thoughts, whether im alone in this and people are fine with her antics, or if there is an agreeing crowd but to sum up, if she doesnt either a) die, or b) dissappear into a non combat role forever I wont be able to take any part of the upcoming story seriously.

in Lore

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I felt a little weird about it when she asked to be left alone in Rata Novus. But she’s so darn cute… I’m sure she can charm the beasties to leave her be.

in Lore

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yeah. Well, I guess it’s called suspension of disbelief. But it was really bugging me with this story line with her gallivanting around the Mordrem infested countryside, and then the argument in one story section in Rata Nova about whether she’s responsible for her own decisions like the adults are. My char is saying, ‘yes, you are’ and I’m sitting there saying ‘No, you are not. You’re a child and I’ll make the decisions!’

It’s too ‘new age’ for me to feel that a child should be making unilateral important decisions.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

in Lore

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I see a lot of folks nowadays praise taimi, and her story, but I have not once felt she was appropriate to the world of guild wars 2. Before you start brandashing pitchforks and torches let me explain.

As long as taimi lives, and is following the commander, there can be no tension to the story anymore, none. This is for all intents and purposes, a disabled child, that granted has a golem following them, but is able to survive the harshest jungle environments basically on her own. If you were to argue that she is able to survive as easily as she does, no other asura would feasibly die within tyria, as frankly a weak powerless little creature can get to the heart of the most dangerous areas without a scratch. Even with the golem argument, every single asura is able to build golems, several more technically advanced then hers ( snaff and sandy anyone? ), so it makes no sense that any asura would die.

The second most important part of this is that taimi is a child. A child for kitten’s sake! How can anyone feel threatened in a world where children wander off perfectly fine in unexplored areas. And yet we have adult characters, battle hardened for years being felled by what are to us, fairly weak minions.

I can’t say whether it was felt taimi was a good choice to include for expositions sake, just to have an asura be important in destinys edge 2.0, or to appeal to a certain market, but as long as she continues to live as arrogantly and easily as she does, there will be no tension in any of the story. No characters deaths will be realistic. There wont be any fear to anything anymore because hey, the small disabled child is fine so whats the danger.

I dunno, I’d like to see other peoples thoughts, whether im alone in this and people are fine with her antics, or if there is an agreeing crowd but to sum up, if she doesnt either a) die, or b) dissappear into a non combat role forever I wont be able to take any part of the upcoming story seriously.

To be fair, she’s almost died. It’s not like she knows she’s bullet proof. But then asura in general think the creature in Tyria are too dumb for the most part to be a threat. There faith in there tech makes them arrogant, or seem like they are care free. No.more than a Norn who thinks he can kill anything because nothing has had the best of him yet.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Lore

Posted by: NyhilistTheBoring.2674

NyhilistTheBoring.2674

If story tension is your worry, then isn’t the fact that your character is draped in plot armor the real issue here? Your character cannot die. End of story. You can’t Roll a 1 and have to start over. You can return to a checkpoint, respawn, redo the mission, but death? Not for you.

Also, she’s not always next to you. Case in point, in the Season Two episode where the takes off and nearly “gets herself injured/killed by the Inquest” But with that one? The story demands that she makes it through that episode so you can stand around, doing nothing, and she’s not going to get hurt. And in that one her golem gets trashed (Again) before things finish.

She is rarely seen outside of the team environment, so it’s not as if she’s out on her own – soloing the jungle.

Snaff and Sandy? Who’s Sandy? (If you mean his golem? I’m not exactly sure how much of the books you can say is actually in the game – thus resulting in the books being an odd reference point)

Also Snaff is the most bestest, heroic, kind, well liked, and all around final form of the Asura Race with how they talk about him. Thus it’s not surprising that he would have the bestest golem ever. That is one Asuran.

Also Efut of the Vigil is a ground pounding warrior asura who can’t speak jargon. So not every Asura is a Golem Building Inventor.

Child? One of the major plot threads in Taimi’s story is that she’s “Not A Child”
(If I can math the Wiki says she is 14 and we are not given a context clue as to how old that is in Asuran Culture)
Scarlet invasion? Giant Fighting Puppets? Expedition to the Unknown? She’s with you because she has nowhere else to be. She released herself from Rata Sum so she could stay with you.

And – Don’t Forget to Consider:

Are you injured? What happened to your legs?
I was born this way. My legs were never strong enough to carry me very far. Don’t pity me, though. I hate pity. And I don’t need it because I do just fine for myself.

I can see that. Can your legs be cured?
That remains to be seen. The degenerative effects of my condition may spread to other parts of my body as I get older, but for now it’s just the legs.

How far can you walk?
I can get in and out of Scruffy when I need to. For example, I can walk from my bedroom to the water closet. Just don’t ask me to be your partner in a dance marathon.

So either she lives now – or she doesn’t get to live later.
So she’s a good part of the team. She’s an orphan with nothing to lose but a life that has no promises of getting better. Phlunt is not her friend, Zojja isn’t exactly a mentor she connects with, so there’s only one place in the whole world to be. At your side. Plus Braham is at your side and those two get along. So at the end of the day, she’d rather be next to her friends in a world gone mad.
Just Saying.

“Kitten Commander” Nadya The Lost
Guild Leader: Phantoms of the [Mist]
Server: Emhry Bay

in Lore

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

This is for all intents and purposes, a disabled child, that granted has a golem following them, but is able to survive the harshest jungle environments basically on her own.

You mean where asura (and humans in real life) are naturally from?

How can anyone feel threatened in a world where children wander off perfectly fine in unexplored areas.

What I took from it is Taimi is just exceptionally brilliant and well prepared. She’s a prodigy even by asura standards. You know those five year old musical prodigies in real life? The ones who play music it took many adults many years of practice to play? Those are human beings, and humans are inherently dumber than asura.

I wont be able to take any part of the upcoming story seriously.

Why do you want to take part in a game’s story seriously? Not everything has to be plausible, what’s wrong with just having a fun story to play through?

It’s too ‘new age’ for me to feel that a child should be making unilateral important decisions.

Not everyone who plays the game is an adult so it’s empowering kids who play the game too. In real life kids very rarely ever make big decisions so kids playing the game can live that through Taimi in a way.

in Lore

Just a flesh wound.3589

/shrug. You can wrap it up with logic all you want but it’s not going to affect my feelings, or instincts if you will, that a child, no matter how brilliant, should be brought into such an active war zone that’s already killed hundreds if not thousands of trained adult soldiers. Especially a child so dependent on technology for basic mobility. If her golem had malfunctioned before she got to a safe spot then she would have been a liability and would have to had been either carried out or abandoned.

ANet may give it to you.

in Lore

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Of all the characters that hang around the commander like a bad smell, Taimi is in my opinion the most repugnant. Her interactions with the player and environment are wholey unbelievable, she routinely makes utterly idiotic and downright dangerous decisions in a time of war and puts her team mates in jeapordy as a result. We need more Canach, tbh.

in Lore

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Most five year old musical prodigies don’t have anyone trying to chop them into pieces with an axe while they play the violin.

My nephew was determined to be a math prodigy in grade school. Not sure that it would have qualified him for a SEAL team position in Afghanistan.

in Lore

Posted by: LiiSyaoran.3591

LiiSyaoran.3591

/shrug. You can wrap it up with logic all you want but it’s not going to affect my feelings, or instincts if you will, that a child, no matter how brilliant, should be brought into such an active war zone that’s already killed hundreds if not thousands of trained adult soldiers. Especially a child so dependent on technology for basic mobility. If her golem had malfunctioned before she got to a safe spot then she would have been a liability and would have to had been either carried out or abandoned.

Whats the point in posting in a discussion when you aren’t open to discussion?

in Lore

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Most five year old musical prodigies don’t have anyone trying to chop them into pieces with an axe while they play the violin.

My nephew was determined to be a math prodigy in grade school. Not sure that it would have qualified him for a SEAL team position in Afghanistan.

That’s because he didn’t use that math prodiginess to build himself a Gundam with enough firepower and armor to provide better offensive and ground-holding ability than three full fireteams.

in Lore

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

That’s because he didn’t use that math prodiginess to build himself a Gundam with enough firepower and armor to provide better offensive and ground-holding ability than three full fireteams.

Good point. Of course, neither did Taimi.

in Lore

Just a flesh wound.3589

Because the OP asked how we felt about Taimi, and I answered him? I wasn’t posting to debate it. He asked, I answered.

Now if you’re fine with taking a physically impaired child unnecessarily into an active war zone, well, /shrug. What can we say? I’m not fine with it. Instincts I guess.

ANet may give it to you.

in Lore

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

He’d certainly be a great asset since such talent is rare. Talent isn’t some isolated thing, it’s a grasping at something deeper. The same thing that makes them have amazing abilities will make them see tactical holes in the enemy’s attack and prepare to avoid such situations. It’s a basic intuitive understanding of mechanics and how systems interrelate to each other. Music and math are both orderly systems with underlying principles behind them so Taimi’s understanding would translate into personal safety and helping the Pact Commander with strategic and tactical tasks. She’s even two degrees removed from Snaff directly: Zojja worked under him while Taimi is apprenticed by Zojja so her education was very solid, and she was chosen in the first place due to aptitude.

in Lore

Posted by: King Cephalopod.7942

King Cephalopod.7942

There are a couple things that bother me about this character. First: no matter how many times and ways she may say she isn’t a child, her actions both in LS2 and HoT (didn’t play LS1) show that she either is or should still be treated as such. Throwing tantrums, running away, endangering herself and others; I actually laughed when in HoT she demanded to be treated as a “regular team member” and my character agreed like an idiot (or a liar depending on how you look at it). The way her character was presented demonstrated she was at least a little unfit to make her own decisions, and the fact that she was agitated because my character kept making sure that she (an underage, rash individual) was absolutely sure she wanted to risk a horrific and gruesome death by performing a dangerous action only reinforced my opinions.

Second, the way she defines “being treated like a member of the team”. Every time her character brings this up in dialogue, what is actually meant is that she wants to be on the frontlines, head of the assault, however you want to put it. Her traits are: genius, physically inept, young, easily frightened. None of these are the kinds of things that would make me want her on a vanguard. Braham is the frontliner. She’s the squishy mage to be kept safe at the back where she can do the most use. Braham would be worthless there. This would be like keeping Braham’s presentation the same but in the lab of HoT having him demand he be treated like an equal member and be allowed to be the one to attempt accessing the Asuran databanks. It wouldn’t make any sense, because part of being a team player is playing to your individual strengths to improve the team. Taimi would be terrible at fighting and making hard decisions (Braham is too for different reasons), but instead of trying to purely make the most of her strengths and let her teammates cover weaknesses, she insists that her weaknesses are actually not. And that’s weird and not how group development works.

A little savagery now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Don’t cry, Signet of Mercy. Others may forget you, but I will always remember.
Our deficiencies may be overcome by practice and self-discipline.

in Lore

Posted by: LiiSyaoran.3591

LiiSyaoran.3591

Because the OP asked how we felt about Taimi, and I answered him? I wasn’t posting to debate it. He asked, I answered.

Now if you’re fine with taking a physically impaired child unnecessarily into an active war zone, well, /shrug. What can we say? I’m not fine with it. Instincts I guess.

When people ask what you think about something they aren’t looking for a " this is how I feel no matter what you say" type of reply cause then you cant have any kind of discussion.

But yea Taimi isn’t fit for combat, her golem helps with that and she in never alone when in dangerous areas. Its a risk, but no risk, no reward.

in Lore

Just a flesh wound.3589

When people ask what you think about something they aren’t looking for a " this is how I feel no matter what you say" type of reply cause then you cant have any kind of discussion.

But yea Taimi isn’t fit for combat, her golem helps with that and she in never alone when in dangerous areas. Its a risk, but no risk, no reward.

There are some responses that are based on feelings or instinct. Those responses are not particularly open for discussion. How one views a child being brought into a dangerous situation is, for me, one of those situations. I’d be willing to debate most subjects, but that’s not one of them as it feels wrong to my bones and not something I’d be willing to change my mind on.

As I said. The OP asked a question and I answered. My answer was to him alone. Y’all can debate it to your heart’s content but this is one subject that I am unable to change my mind on, so I it’s not something that I will debate.

ANet may give it to you.

in Lore

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Normally I’d agree that taking a kid like Taimi (and let’s be honest, she IS still a kid) into danger is out of the question. But if you read between the lines, you can find one of the few things that would make me reconsider.

Taimi is dying.

Go back and re-read what NyhilistTheBoring quoted Taimi saying about her medical condition. Now, given what we know of her and how she’ll downplay things she doesn’t want to talk about, realize what she’s really saying. Her condition will only get worse, and there’s no known cure. As things stand now, it’s going to kill her.

But… that’s the important part. “As things stand now”. Taimi is brilliant, and she might find a cure of some kind if she can just put enough information together. So, she throws herself into every new thing full tilt, because you never know what things might tie together to buy her more time or maybe even create a cure. Scarlet fascinated her because Scarlet’s knowledge seemed to move ahead in leaps and bounds, leaving a trail of new inventions scattered behind her.

Taimi helps us to save the world, and by unspoken agreement, we help her to find new things that may save her life. Yes, she’s still a child, but in some ways she’s more of an adult than Canach is, she just hides it. I’ll bring her along and give her her chance, but if she finds a cure for herself then it’s off to the back lines before she can blink.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in Lore

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t see Taimi as a “child”. She’s something more than a kid and not an official adult. Reminds me of Mattie Ross in True Grit (Hailee Steinfeld’s character). Everyone told her she couldn’t go into danger; she ignored them. Folks did the best they could under those circumstances.

Taimi doesn’t see herself as disabled — she’s handicapped and hardly mobile without her golem. But she’s smarter than the rest of Team PC combined and responsible for solving some of the issues fundamental to defeating an Elder Dragon.

I wouldn’t choose to take a child into danger. But when the universe is at risk and the child has to be chained to keep her in town, I’m not sure that is my decision to make.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Lore

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

She didn’t get to the heart of the maguuma by herself. She was escorted there by tyria’s greatest heroes at present, including the PC.

Now that she’s there, she can reasonably hold her own between her golem and the reactivated Rata Novus defenses.

Though even with her golem, it’s a safe bet she wouldn’t have made it to Rata Novus without us. We’ve saved her life more than once.

If we were to keep her out there without her state-of-the-art cutting edge golem? That would be negligent homicide.

We should absolutely check in on her occasionally, but she’s far from helpless.

As for a lack of tension? All things said at the end of the day, she’s a young asura with special needs in the heart of the maguuma. Of course it’s incredibly dangerous.

All that comes with being a hero.

What our PC (and every major hero in the story) does is basically gamble with their lives and hope a combination of skill and luck works out in their favor.

Fighting elder dragons is dangerous business. Not big surprise. Taimi’s mature enough to make her own life choices and this is the path she’s pursuing.

She’s an asura. She’s perfectly aware of what she’s getting herself into. Probably has the exact statistics and all that.

in Lore

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

Yeah. Well, I guess it’s called suspension of disbelief. But it was really bugging me with this story line with her gallivanting around the Mordrem infested countryside, and then the argument in one story section in Rata Nova about whether she’s responsible for her own decisions like the adults are. My char is saying, ‘yes, you are’ and I’m sitting there saying ‘No, you are not. You’re a child and I’ll make the decisions!’

Exactly. Book genius though she might be, she is still a child without the experiences that helps make someone an adult, and not just a child in a mature body.

Plus, as we’re getting her through that last chak infested area without Scruffy, she is doing quite a bit of screaming. I didn’t feel happy leaving her here.. what if there was the odd, hidden chak looking to snack?

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

(edited by Siobhan.5273)

in Lore

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Taimi has character, you may not like her OP but as NPC’s go shes not 1 dimensional like the rest, shes smart, quick thinking and humorous, the rest of the team is actually quite boring and honestly not that interesting as npcs go.

She has her Scruffy that makes up for her disability at least until Rata Novus.. And in Rata Novus she actually saves the Team twice, we killed all the chak in there so she was fine to be alone building and creating what ever she needs..

Shes smarter than the average Asura who are mostly smarter than humans/norn and Charr combined..

To be honest she is the one of the team i actually trust implicitly because shes a child and hasn’t had years to grow bitter and twisted.

(edited by Dante.1508)

in Lore

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Taimi is an extraordinary genius, an incredibly brave scholar, and obssesed investigator, and much, much more mature for her age than other progenie. She is NOT a common Asura. She is as a hero as our commander, but she doesn’t fight.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

in Lore

Posted by: TwoGhosts.6790

TwoGhosts.6790

She has the best voice acting of all the companions I think, especially given the woeful dialogue they all have to work with most of the time.

She makes me laugh. It’s her against the world. She makes bad decisions, goes off on adventures, pursues her aspirations, sulks, is a genius. She’s a sympathetic character.

I like her.

My gf thinks she’s adorable and is delighted every time she makes an appearance, and will rush up to her to talk at every available opportunity.

Given that it’s almost impossible for me to take most of the plotting and dialogue particularly seriously (apart from a few exceptions), I find her contribution energetic and entertaining. Go Taimi! And she has robot to drive around in! What’s not to like?

~TG

in Lore

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

She’s GW2’s version of Wesley Crusher. A know-it-all kid who has just the right techno-bauble for the current dilemma. She’s one dimensional plot device that I wouldn’t miss if she never came back.

SBI

in Lore

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

She has the best voice acting of all the companions I think,

Debi Derriberry ftw

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Lore

Posted by: Harper.6175

Harper.6175

This is for all intents and purposes, a disabled child, that granted has a golem following them, but is able to survive the harshest jungle environments basically on her own.

You mean where asura (and humans in real life) are naturally from?

How can anyone feel threatened in a world where children wander off perfectly fine in unexplored areas.

What I took from it is Taimi is just exceptionally brilliant and well prepared. She’s a prodigy even by asura standards. You know those five year old musical prodigies in real life? The ones who play music it took many adults many years of practice to play? Those are human beings, and humans are inherently dumber than asura.

I wont be able to take any part of the upcoming story seriously.

Why do you want to take part in a game’s story seriously? Not everything has to be plausible, what’s wrong with just having a fun story to play through?

Not everyone who plays the game is an adult so it’s empowering kids who play the game too. In real life kids very rarely ever make big decisions so kids playing the game can live that through Taimi in a way.

Before you start making claims in bold at least bother to check your facts. Asura are originally from UNDERGROUND – they lived in the so called “Depths of Tyria”. They are not " from the jungle" – they just inhabited it for a while. And even then if you look at how Rata Sum is structured you’ll notice it’s not very jungle-ish – quite the contrary.

The fact that she’s a prodigy doesn’t mean she’s emotionally mature or capable of making the right decisions – this is evident multiple times throughout the story – including the part where she almost dies.

Just because this is a game doesn’t mean some people don’t want a more serious story.
Just because a book is a book – does that mean you can’t take the story seriously? Have great literary works of art not influenced our views on the world even though they depict events that are ultimately made up?

That aside – I understand what the OP is saying. Even tough this is an MMO and people have to come in already accepting the fact that you character does have plot armor – as far as I see it everything else should be up for grabs.
No other NPCs should have “plot armor” and things should be dynamic and interesting.

Also “empowering to kids” – wow – the reason children usually don’t make their own decisions is because they are yet to be complete human beings – they are in the process of forming – both biologically and psychologically – which makes them poor candidates to make life-shaping decisions in the majority of time.

in Lore

Harper.6175

Of all the characters that hang around the commander like a bad smell, Taimi is in my opinion the most repugnant. Her interactions with the player and environment are wholey unbelievable, she routinely makes utterly idiotic and downright dangerous decisions in a time of war and puts her team mates in jeapordy as a result. We need more Canach, tbh.

Honestly the only reason why we even have Taimi in this story is clear – Political Correctness and new-age liberal “diversity”. Let me explain.

1.She’s an asura – that’s not a human – so it’s good.
2.She’s a child – not an adult – so that’s good.
3.She’s disabled – so that must be good!

in Lore

Harper.6175

Except even if he could do that he would be more valuable developing other new and better Gundams while other cannon fodder guys piloted the one he made.
Not to mention just because you can make a really good ground breaking technical warmachine ( of any sort) doesn’t automatically qualify you as the best person to pilot and use it.

in Lore

Harper.6175

She didn’t get to the heart of the maguuma by herself. She was escorted there by tyria’s greatest heroes at present, including the PC.

Now that she’s there, she can reasonably hold her own between her golem and the reactivated Rata Novus defenses.

Though even with her golem, it’s a safe bet she wouldn’t have made it to Rata Novus without us. We’ve saved her life more than once.

If we were to keep her out there without her state-of-the-art cutting edge golem? That would be negligent homicide.

As for a lack of tension? All things said at the end of the day, she’s a young asura with special needs in the heart of the maguuma. Of course it’s incredibly dangerous.

What our PC (and every major hero in the story) does is basically gamble with their lives and hope a combination of skill and luck works out in their favor.

Fighting elder dragons is dangerous business. Not big surprise. Taimi’s mature enough to make her own life choices and this is the path she’s pursuing.

She’s an asura. She’s perfectly aware of what she’s getting herself into. Probably has the exact statistics and all that.

The problem is she’s all that but she’s also an NPC that’s both a child and disabled. This pretty much guarantees that she won’t get killed – which makes the whole dynamic of threats boring.

How can I take “saving her” seriously when I absolutely know no harm would come to her because of the RL backlash against Anet if they killed her off.

in Lore

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

The best parts of taimi was the amalgamation of her script and her voice actor’s talent

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

in Lore

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

The problem is she’s all that but she’s also an NPC that’s both a child and disabled. This pretty much guarantees that she won’t get killed – which makes the whole dynamic of threats boring.

How can I take “saving her” seriously when I absolutely know no harm would come to her because of the RL backlash against Anet if they killed her off.

This right here is my issue with the character. I actually like Taimi, so I don’t want her to get killed or anything, but it does absolutely destroy any tension knowing that there is no way she will be killed off due to the blowback that would cause.

This has been a pet peeve of mine for years, as my dad was wheelchair bound. He hated how TV and movies would always have the disabled person always virtuous and moral. As he used to say “Crippled people can be jerks too. Just look at me!”

in Lore

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

By that logic our PC is incredibly boring because you absolutely know we’ll never really be killed off. Just won’t happen, you know?

Taimi is just as likely to be killed off as the rest of the cast. Certainly has a better chance of kicking the bucket than we do as the PC.

Taimi’s circumstances don’t exclude her from danger any more than the other heroes.

The story has already made a precedent of that more then once with her specific character no less.

You’d probably find it all more enjoyable if you didn’t go TVTropes meta with it.

It’s possible it could play out exactly as you’re saying it will or maybe something different will happen.

We don’t know where the story is going to go. Let it happen.

in Lore

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

You’re trating Taimi like she’s the rule. She’s not the rule, she’s the exception, which is why doing the things she does still works in the world.

Lots of Asura can build golems, but only a very small handful of asura can build golems capable of what Taimi does.

Taimi isn’t an average child, she’s an exceptional one, just like your plaer character is an exceptional member of whatever race you are. making the argument that she’s just a disabled child is like saying the story is unbelivable because my character came from the slums of DR and went on to be a pivotal factor in the death of two elder dragons.

Like it or hate it, the main characters are main characters because they’re exceptions to the rule. Taimi isn’t just a child any more than traherne is just a scholar, Logan is just a human in armor, or Snaff is just a golemancer. These characters, like it or hate it are unique specifically because they’re exceptional examples of the people of tyria with skills, knowledge, determination, or circumstances that most people simply don’t have. That’s what makes them heroes of the story rather than nameless filler NPCs.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Lore

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

They did come from underground but now live in the Tarnished Coast, we assume that is where they popped out from under ground.

Tarnished Coast.
All of the peninsula is a vast and verdant jungle. While the wastes have completely dried and are uninhabitable, the Tarnished Coast has maintained its wildland of tropical trees. It is here that the asura and sylvari races have made their homes; from their capitals of Rata Sum and the Grove, respectively. Metrica Province and Caledon Forest collectively pour into the Brisban Wildlands, and later into more cultivated territory.

So the Asura have been living in vast and verdant jungles now for over 1000 years.. I’d say Taimi is used to Jungles then.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

So the Asura have been living in vast and verdant jungles now for over 1000 years.. I’d say Taimi is used to Jungles then.

*200 years. Actually, 251, if you want to be precise.

The thing is, though, while they may live in a jungle environment, the asura have taken pains to separate themselves from it. Their main city literally floats above it all, and their settlements clear back the trees. The average asura is as adept at surviving jungles as any cloistered scientist- that is to say, they’re walking bait unless they have all their specialized tools with them.

Fortunately, Taimi’s not short on those tools, and she’s shown the smarts to figure things out on the fly. While I don’t approve of ditching her alone in Rata Novus, for the most part I think she’s been a valuable contribution to the team. Besides, you might note that we’ve always conveniently left her behind when we’re taking on the climactic battles. The devs seem to recognize her plot armor (which I feel has nothing to do with her condition, and everything to do with the taboo on depicting minors dying in video games), and so write her out of the story for a time whenever they want the stakes to be high.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: PetboyJoshua.3108

PetboyJoshua.3108

The only thing that really annoyed me about Taimi and how she’s been treated by the other characters was that episode in which we just let her limp her way between hundreds of acid-throwing giant insects. No matter if she’s a child or not, this was the dumbest thing we could have done in that situation, endangering her to satisfy her need to feel like a grown up or whatever. There are some times when you’ve got to forget about your ego for a moment and think about the risks and what’s best for your team, and this was clearly one of those moments. Not only she could have died, but her death could have also caused everybody to die there.
It may be the part in HoT’s story episodes that I hate the most, because of that.

in Lore

Harper.6175

By that logic our PC is incredibly boring because you absolutely know we’ll never really be killed off. Just won’t happen, you know?

Taimi is just as likely to be killed off as the rest of the cast. Certainly has a better chance of kicking the bucket than we do as the PC.

Taimi’s circumstances don’t exclude her from danger any more than the other heroes.

The story has already made a precedent of that more then once with her specific character no less.

You’d probably find it all more enjoyable if you didn’t go TVTropes meta with it.

It’s possible it could play out exactly as you’re saying it will or maybe something different will happen.

We don’t know where the story is going to go. Let it happen.

You did read my post above where I specifically explained that when you play an MMO you come into it with the acceptance of the fact that your PC is not going to get killed.
In fact – your PC is not so much a participant to the story as he is a means through which you are there for the story.

In a sense a PC’s survival is guaranteed because without it how could you further explore the story? The PC’s participation is a necessity. His survival and plot armor stem from the fact that Anet can’t just “kill” and delete something you’ve put 3000 hours into as a customer.

What they can do is not apply this rule to NPCs – which are there to drive their story with their own characters, motives, fears, actions and ultimately deaths.

When you compare an NPC that’s part of the story to the PC you display a lot of ignorance to the basic different roles the two play and both to their importance in the story.

And I’m pretty sure there is some form of regulation that forbids showing the death of children in video games.
Also – like I mentioned – the fact that she’s both a child, then asura, then a girl, then disabled pretty much makes it that the backlash of her death would be pretty big.
Do you think she’s just as likely to die as any other character? Might want to give that another thought.

Honestly I don’t find any of Destiny’s Edge 2.0 to be enjoyable. I’d rather not have any of them around – except for Canach who’s the only one who seems to be connected to what’s going on.
Still – out of all of them – the ones I find I can stand the least are Taimi and Kasmeer+ Marjory. It’s still a tie between these – can’t really make up my mind who I dislike more.

in Lore

Harper.6175

You’re trating Taimi like she’s the rule. She’s not the rule, she’s the exception, which is why doing the things she does still works in the world.

Lots of Asura can build golems, but only a very small handful of asura can build golems capable of what Taimi does.

Taimi isn’t an average child, she’s an exceptional one, just like your plaer character is an exceptional member of whatever race you are. making the argument that she’s just a disabled child is like saying the story is unbelivable because my character came from the slums of DR and went on to be a pivotal factor in the death of two elder dragons.

Like it or hate it, the main characters are main characters because they’re exceptions to the rule. Taimi isn’t just a child any more than traherne is just a scholar, Logan is just a human in armor, or Snaff is just a golemancer. These characters, like it or hate it are unique specifically because they’re exceptional examples of the people of tyria with skills, knowledge, determination, or circumstances that most people simply don’t have. That’s what makes them heroes of the story rather than nameless filler NPCs.

And I understand that.
All that aside – being an exceptional builder of golems and a prodigy don’t mean you’re automatically qualified for front-line fighting.
Taimi has proven in this very story that while she has a lot of cognitive potential she is still a child – because of her inability to control her emotional side and lack of emotional maturity – that almost gets her killed.

That’s not the kind of person you want by your side when you’re fighting for your life. Or for some bigger goal.
If she can make great golems she should just send the golems. Or have some other asura drive it around.

in Lore

Harper.6175

They did come from underground but now live in the Tarnished Coast, we assume that is where they popped out from under ground.

Tarnished Coast.
All of the peninsula is a vast and verdant jungle. While the wastes have completely dried and are uninhabitable, the Tarnished Coast has maintained its wildland of tropical trees. It is here that the asura and sylvari races have made their homes; from their capitals of Rata Sum and the Grove, respectively. Metrica Province and Caledon Forest collectively pour into the Brisban Wildlands, and later into more cultivated territory.

You do realize you make no sense right?
Taimi lived in Rata Sum- Rata Sum is not a jungle – it’s a city within the jungle.
The city I live in is surrounded by hills and woodlands – so it’s in a hilly woodsy area – so that means I’m qualified to survive there just because MY CITY is in located in that area? Even though I haven’t ever survived on my own outside of my city?

Also – where did you get the 1000 years number? Did you make that up to suit your theory?

In case you’ve never been to Rata Sum – I’ll give you some inside info about it – it’s a floating city it doesn’t even touch the ground – let alone the jungle.

Stop making things up to try to make it seem that you’ve got a point.
Asura are not jungle-trotting survivalists – they rely on their technology and safely built environments to survive.

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Overall everything about her involvment on the frontline and any justification is plot-armor and romantisizing her kind of character.

A tragic character, who by all means, shouldn’t be there, but for some reason is.

There is nothing to go against it. Everything positive that can be said is about her character and mental abilities.
However we are sourounded by a lot of physical danger and she is only protected by her Golem and the occasional partymember.

We leave her in HoT at the start of auric basin, where she starts studying and then we see her again only with Canach and Braham or Rox (I think).
Two wilderness character and her shiny slow and not very agile golem.

Everyone who had to traverse these areas alone or at least in a little group knows how dangerous these areas are.

Even if her golem packs a punch and she has others around, the enviroment is not her friend.
She can’t go alone for long and her golem is just a better wheelchair (yes, he has personality apearently, but seriously, aside from his ability to punch and get up stairs his tasks can be given to a simple wheelchair)

Her whole ordeal to tread her like an adult and that she goes around throwing a tempertantrum about it till we finaly give her a cookie, shows how much she isn’t one.

Being an adult is more than being intelligent and understanding concepts. It’s being mature as a person.

She is a child and as one has nothing to do at the frontlines or better in an frontline search party, which goes into unexplored teritory.
We are the supposed to be one of the first people in these areas.
We are preparing a path through an enviroment where everything wants us dead.

We wouldn’t be able to save her, if her golem tumbled down somwhere.
She shows no gliding capabilities.
Her golem is to bulky to use the natural ways of the jungle. He isn’t equiped for that sourounding.

Even if she goes the long and hard way, these are usually full of many dangerous enemies, that you are able to outrun maybe, but sometimes they put walls up, so you can’t go the normal route.

Taimi is no fighter. Taimi is no wilderness genius.
Her skills consist of asura technology, golemancy and recently ley line energy.
Her golem, while good, isn’t an Iron Man armor, that is unbreakable. if anything it is one of the Iron Legion, than every other enemy can easily tear through.

I really hope we get her in the backseats for the future.
She is a good and interesting character, but she is also a disabled child that should not be on the frontlines.
Her reliance on her golem is too much of a risk, to use her there.

Going back to the Iron Man reference. Tony Stark, even without his suit, is still able to run and stall for time. His suit is build to withstand everything and he is always adapting it to new threads. Adding to that, it is highly manouverable.

Taimis golem isn’t. There isn’t even a second one she can call in, via golem bombardement (which would actually be cool, if she could launch these)

in Lore

Posted by: Celine.6857

Celine.6857

You’re being too ‘real world’ :P, this is Tyria and fantasy, she stays alive because she has magic to help her :P…

I chuckled at your sentences about a feeble disabled child out in the worst environment ever because it made me think of me… I am not a child but have a rare skin disorder that blisters and wounds at the slightest touch and I go storm chasing in the USA driving 30k miles to find violent tornadoes and storms LMFAO :P

I adore Taimi and I think she is a breath of fresh air. Her comments and cute jokes are worth every penny.

Samantha
Guild: Creators of Destiny Awakening [CDA] Disabled GW2 gamer; love all aspects of GW2!
Champion: Magus, Illusionist, Phantom and Shadow

(edited by Celine.6857)

in Lore

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

And I understand that.
All that aside – being an exceptional builder of golems and a prodigy don’t mean you’re automatically qualified for front-line fighting.
Taimi has proven in this very story that while she has a lot of cognitive potential she is still a child – because of her inability to control her emotional side and lack of emotional maturity – that almost gets her killed.

That’s not the kind of person you want by your side when you’re fighting for your life. Or for some bigger goal.
If she can make great golems she should just send the golems. Or have some other asura drive it around.

By that logic, Braham is a child and not someone you want by your side. I certainly don’t see him as any more emotionally mature or in control than Taimi.

in Lore

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

And I understand that.

By that logic, Braham is a child and not someone you want by your side. I certainly don’t see him as any more emotionally mature or in control than Taimi.

I see him as hot blooded and impulsive, but when confronted he almost always gives way to the commander. Taimi on the other hand pouts and runs off when she doesn’t get her way, which is a more childish action. Which makes sense because she is still a child.

in Lore

Harper.6175

And I understand that.

Agreed – And I don’t. But between the two – at least one isn’t disabled and can actually fight.
That aside – I’m almost equal in how much I don’t want either of them with me.

in Lore

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

And I understand that.

Taimi specifically built that golem to do exactly that, overcompensating for her weaknesses by building the equivalent of a homebrew ferrari so she wouldn’t be reliant on other people to push her wheelchair.

It makes sense for her as a character. She’s defined by her rash judgement and childish selfishness specifically because she’s a selfish child. A selfish orphan who is told by her society to fall in line and just give in to her limitations.

The plot itself has made that very clear about Taimi. She shows up not because you ask her to, or because she’s the best option, but because that’s what Taimi wants to do. Over the course of the living story she goes to great lengths to prove she’s a valuable member of the team, and that she can hold her own. She develops a familial relationship of mutual respect with the player and the party over time, which is a very natural character arc. It’s something she desires as a person, and by the time you reach rata novus she’s grown as a person. At that point she’s not brashly running off in to danger, mistakenly assuming she’ll be fine. She knows she won’t be fine. She knows she needs your help, and she knows you need hers. She’s there specifically because someone needs to fill Zojja’s shoes, and Zojja’s MIA.

Leaving her in Rata Novus makes perfect sense. You’ve just helped her reactivate the defense systems of an extremely formidable fortress. It’s probably the safest place in Tyria for her to be.

By this point in her story, and yours, she has proven multiple times that she’s a valuable asset, despite her physical limitations. She’s also proven a willing restraint because she values your respect for her as an asset, rather than the annoying child oyu have to babysit that she was when she first appeared.

It would be extremely out of character for Taimi to say “here, responsible adult, drive my hotrod mega-golem because its too dangerous for little old me” It doesn’t make sese for her motivations as a character. Furthermore it wouldn’t make sence for the PC or Braham to suggest it. With that golem she’s proven her ability to fight even the gnarliest battles. Without it she’s physically vulnerable but no less mentally imposing.

Taimi and those around her are very aware of those limitations, and the plot makes no effort to downplay them.

Despite the ham-handed writing, rata novus got Taimi right. Willingly blowing up that golem is a powerful action for her, she’s placing her trust in you. She built that thing so she’d never have to rely on others, but over time she has learned, from you, the value for having family and allies, and internalized what it means. Furthermore, your character has reciprocated that relationship. She’s been instrumental in the struggle against Mordremoth.

She knows she’s an exceptional combatant inside that thing. That’s why she built it. She also knows she’s a stiff wind away from certain death without it, and its taken a long stretch of storytelling for her to trust your party with her safety, and for your party to trust her judgement. That’s character development, and IMO it works pretty well.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

in Lore

Posted by: Pantz.7839

Pantz.7839

And I’m pretty sure there is some form of regulation that forbids showing the death of children in video games.

I think people are misunderstanding this issue. There are plenty of children dying in scripted scenarios. As an example, the daughter of the protagonist in “The Last of Us” died in the prologue.

What game publishers are not doing is allow children in games to be affected by player actions. Scripted is fine, because the publishers know the limits and the game rating they have to adhere to. Letting players do whatever they want to children in games is risky, so they avoid it.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

I think people are misunderstanding this issue. There are plenty of children dying in scripted scenarios. As an example, the daughter of the protagonist in “The Last of Us” died in the prologue.

What game publishers are not doing is allow children in games to be affected by player actions. Scripted is fine, because the publishers know the limits and the game rating they have to adhere to. Letting players do whatever they want to children in games is risky, so they avoid it.

Interesting. So the question, then, is rather it’s allowed within Guild Wars 2’s teen rating?

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: vanderwolf.7084

vanderwolf.7084

Like others said. Taimi herself believes she has an expiration date potentially.

That and she’s not your average child by any means. I think it’s Zojja who mentions that she is leagues ahead of what any asura child should be and that she is potentially smarter than most adults?

It could also be that she is virtually the only Asura who seems to fully grasp Ley Line science at all beyond waypoints and gates.

I don’t think they’ll ever kill her because….killing a kid changes the teen rating.

But I like her more than Rox the token Charr, or useless meatshield “how did I get this tan” Brahm".

Who is our token sylvari anyways? Canach? I’m fine with him.

in Lore

Posted by: Celine.6857

Celine.6857

Agreed – And I don’t. But between the two – at least one isn’t disabled and can actually fight.
That aside – I’m almost equal in how much I don’t want either of them with me.

As someone with a disability myself, I am almost insulted :P (jk)… Taimi, albeit disabled has a very huge role to play in her intellect. She brings an awful lot of brains to the team, you don’t just need brawns. She also provides some incredibly funny comments which brings flavour to the game that I love.

People on the side of not wanting her (or Braham now lol) with them when fighting, or whatever, are still thinking too ‘real world’, this is Tyria, fantasy. It’s essential flavour to the game which makes it interesting; plots change or continue with what Taimi has to say about her discoveries, some of which are essential.

There are some key moments in the story where she is vital (without wanting to add spoilers) and we wouldn’t be able to continue… thinking of one particular moment where we’d have been trapped… for ever.

As an interesting concept, my husband looked up her age: she is (in real world) a teenager, but that means nothing in the context of a fantasy world like Tyria even though she is a progeny, she’s a bit bigger lol. Check out some images of an actual progeny and Taimi.

A progeny
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Progeny

Taimi:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Taimi
Last but not least, she shows Phlunt who is boss, and that makes her the biggest hero of all in my book :P

Samantha
Guild: Creators of Destiny Awakening [CDA] Disabled GW2 gamer; love all aspects of GW2!
Champion: Magus, Illusionist, Phantom and Shadow

(edited by Celine.6857)