Tarnished Traitor?

Tarnished Traitor?

in Lore

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tarnished_Traitor

I’ve always wondered, what was his crime? What did he do, I wonder?

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

Tarnished Traitor?

in Lore

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I wonder what his story is, too. One interesting thing is that he’s not wearing a mask. It makes me wonder why he’s not wearing one and how he’s still alive (assuming the thing some NPC says about Exalted dying when their masks are removed is true).

Tarnished Traitor?

in Lore

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Tarnished Traitor

I’ve always wondered, what was his crime?

He got off the Hype Train before it stopped.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Tarnished Traitor?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Ultimately we don’t know.

All we really know is that the Tarnished Traitor has no mask. It is said elsewhere, most obviously just inside the Masks of the Fallen section, that if an Exalted’s mask is removed they suffer a final death – yet his is gone, and he is still ‘alive’.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Tarnished Traitor?

in Lore

Posted by: hornswroggle.8023

hornswroggle.8023

Ultimately we don’t know.

All we really know is that the Tarnished Traitor has no mask. It is said elsewhere, most obviously just inside the Masks of the Fallen section, that if an Exalted’s mask is removed they suffer a final death – yet his is gone, and he is still ‘alive’.

Maybe that’s their way of death punishment. They remove his mask, making him mortal to pysical damage, and give him one last chance: If he can withstand the judgement of someone who has proven himself to have a pure heart (Exalted Purification Mastery) he will be redeemed. Else he will ultimately die.

Tarnished Traitor?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

We are nigh immortal, but we experience final death if our masks are removed. Thus, we save the masks of our dead.

Please understand that masks do not fall off or become lost. They must be ripped off in battle, as a vinetooth will do. The jungle dragon could not blight us, so it made vinetooths to hunt us down.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Exalted_Bastion

I don’t think exalted can survive their mask being taken off, given this dialogue.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Tarnished Traitor?

in Lore

Posted by: Rhaegar.1203

Rhaegar.1203

So we could interpret that the Exalted that commits the ultimate sacrifice when the Tarir meta-event fails, removes his mask to do so?

Tarnished Traitor?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I’ve always took that as the exalted are expunging the pure uncorruptable energy that their body is made out of as a means to push the mordrem back – similar to the reaction the mordrem had to divine fire in the end of S2 (which never showed again…).

Removing the mask may be part of doing that.

Dear ANet writers,

Tarnished Traitor?

in Lore

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I’ve always took that as the exalted are expunging the pure uncorruptable energy that their body is made out of as a means to push the mordrem back – similar to the reaction the mordrem had to divine fire in the end of S2 (which never showed again…).

Yea the divine fire was cool. I don’t remember the process we went through to get it, but I’m pretty sure it was extremely difficult to conjure right? Not something that we could just use whenever we felt like it. But yes I saw the exalted saving Tahrir as doing the same thing.

Tarnished Traitor?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

It was tied to the Forgotten. The Exalted were tied to the Forgotten. It wouldn’t have been odd for the Exalted to have access to Divine Fire for the sake of fighting Elder Dragons and their minions.

But nope, didn’t happen. What seemed to be a lead in for a plot turned out to be – once more – just a tease. Immediately picked up and dropped again story aspects is a too common place theme in GW2.

Dear ANet writers,

Tarnished Traitor?

in Lore

Posted by: Rhaegar.1203

Rhaegar.1203

Yeah, I also interpreted the sacrifice as the Exalted detonating it’s body energy like setting off a nuke somehow.
Removing the mask as part of that process seems cool

/sets it in stone in headcanon.

Tarnished Traitor?

in Lore

hornswroggle.8023

Yea the divine fire was cool. I don’t remember the process we went through to get it, but I’m pretty sure it was extremely difficult to conjure right? Not something that we could just use whenever we felt like it. But yes I saw the exalted saving Tahrir as doing the same thing.

To get the divine fire we had to perform the ritual of ascension under supervision of Turai Ossa in remniscence of the ascension ritual in Guild Wars 1 which was necessary to see the Mursaat.

Tarnished Traitor?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

We didn’t really perform the ritual of ascension, actually. Ogden stressed that we wouldn’t/didn’t Ascend.

Besides, the divine fire was used as a replacement to the Forgotten Key, indicating that the Forgotten had a use for it beyond the Trials of Ascension.

Dear ANet writers,

Tarnished Traitor?

in Lore

hornswroggle.8023

We didn’t really perform the ritual of ascension, actually. Ogden stressed that we wouldn’t/didn’t Ascend.

Besides, the divine fire was used as a replacement to the Forgotten Key, indicating that the Forgotten had a use for it beyond the Trials of Ascension.

Good point my bad.
So we “reenacted” the ritual. That’s probably a better way to put it.

Tarnished Traitor?

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

The tarnished traitor might be kept alive, since he is in Tarir and is bound to that place.
That would be my explanation why he still lives without a mask.

On ascension.
It definetly wasn’t ascension. The flame we got was just temporary and something that for some unexplained reason appeared as substitute.

I personaly though it was great in a nostalgic sense, but also very weird if you start to ask questions.

Like, what would happen if we would have performed the ritual in a small room, instad of a big elaborate library.

Why didn’t the doppelganger appear, but does so, thanks to a “random” (?), mirror.
Would we ascend if we included the doppelganger fight?

The “replacement” ritual just doesn’t make sense in my opinion. Nice throw back, but shouldn’t there be other ritual sites around the world? I mean exactly like these and not the others we got in Cantha or Elona.

Tarnished Traitor?

in Lore

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I wonder what his story is, too. One interesting thing is that he’s not wearing a mask. It makes me wonder why he’s not wearing one and how he’s still alive (assuming the thing some NPC says about Exalted dying when their masks are removed is true).

I’d guess that what he did ties in to how he’s staying alive without the mask. Maybe there’s some secondary type of energy within him that holds him together?

Also, I don’t see anything that says that his betrayal was of the Exalted. It’s quite possible that his “betrayal” was before he was transformed. He may have betrayed someone to aid Glint, and in that act become corrupted by something else. Thus, his change into an Exalted didn’t go quite right, and he’ll only be able to fully become one after they find a way to purify him. The Exalted can’t do it (lest they also become corrupted), but flesh and blood people may not be affected by it. That’s my guess, at least.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.