Technology

Technology

in Lore

Posted by: Explodie.9428

Explodie.9428

I always wondered and couldnt find it so i created a new topic!

How come they have the technology but never went to the moon or created space travel? They have technology and why hasnt any Asura atempted this?

Because the elder dragons are trying to destroy tyria so i wondered why not searching for an other world in advance? If we fail to destroy the dragons before they consume Tyria.

I think asura gates would work the same as stargates? IT could travel to different worlds if they are calibrated and connected to different worlds? OR it doesnt work that way? I dont know thats why i am asking it

Technology

in Lore

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

What makes you think space as such exists in the world of Tyria? We have the Mists which are being accessed now and then.

But alright, let us say that the planet Tyria have the exact same atmosphere as Earth. There is currently nothing in lore that suggests that the technology to go into space exist. In fact the highest up we have gotten based on lore is lower than a modern day airplane.

The Dragons are as far as we are aware not trying to destroy Tyria. There are things that suggest the complete opposite in fact.

We do not now the limitations of Asura gates, only that they seem to be rather hard to calibrate and maintain in lore (as seen in Edge of Destiny).

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Technology

in Lore

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Mists

The Mists is the oldest thing in existence, the proto-reality that exists between the worlds, constituting the fabric of time and space that connects the multiverse together. Within the Mists are worlds (of which Tyria is just one), each with their own realities and histories, floating as islands in the ether. The Mists resonate from the worlds around them, forming bits of their own reality – islands of existence that reflect the histories of their worlds.1 Some worlds are enormous, such as the Underworld, the home of the dead; others are simply residences for powerful spirits or deities. At the center of the Mists is the Rift, and within the Rift is the Hall of Heroes, the final resting place of powerful and virtuous souls…Currently, the only known fixed means of entering the Mists is within Lion’s Arch, which is said to contain a portal with a bluish hue made by Balthazar which fluctuates between different places of the Mists, though only five asura gates leading to the Mists can be found.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Asura_gate

Before becoming operational, asura gates must be tuned to a specific location. The longer the distance between the two points, the more energy required for the process. Because of the extreme expense and effort involved, asura gates are rarely retuned.1

There are currently five gates that can go to the mists. Beyond the five gates, people have explored the mists using ships, after all that is how the edge of the mists (not a literal name) was found. However the traveling was exploration of the area surrounding a gates destination. Stargates had the correct destinations programmed into them. Asura gates require the knowledge of the specific location. So until we get such knowledge “space” travel will be limited to exploring areas close to discovered areas.

However as we know Dessa’s lab is researching fractals, one could consider them to be a better example of stargate. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractals_of_the_Mists

“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

Technology

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

How come they have the technology but never went to the moon or created space travel? They have technology and why hasnt any Asura atempted this?

Who says they have the technology?

The development of science is not linear. Just because they are past us in some fields of technology doesn’t mean they are in all fields of technology. Despite their holograms and 3D projectors, that they’ve clearly had for some time, they haven’t managed to create workable aircraft until late in the Personal Story.

If they just recently made blimps with propellers on them, then it’s pretty clear they’re NOT at the level of technology to shoot a rocket into space. Even if they wanted to, given that they can already access – to varying degrees – the Mists.

Because the elder dragons are trying to destroy tyria so i wondered why not searching for an other world in advance? If we fail to destroy the dragons before they consume Tyria.

Probably because what the Elder Dragons are doing is not destroying Tyria. If that was what they were doing, they would have done so well before charr and asura even existed. This isn’t the first time they were awake, nor were they beaten in the past.

What the Elder Dragons do is consume magic from extremes – they allow magic to build up to nearly the breaking point, and then they consume it down to the other breaking point and hibernate, letting it build back up. In the process of consuming magic, they also wipe out civilizations because their goal isn’t just to consume magic, but to rule, own, and control in their own ways – so their minions and few direct mental descriptions show, at least. From what little evidence we have, it seems to me that the goals of each dragon are:

• Primordus: Killing living things
  • Jormag: Being top dog a world that is defined by ‘survival of the fittest’ (he doesn’t even care if his minions lose; he outright lets Sons of Svanir hunt down Icebrood to test their strength; his minions in the Frost Portal even let the PC go after an initial fight because the PC proved their strength)
  • Zhaitan: Leading its ‘kingdom’ through lies and promises of immortality-through-undeath
  • Kralkatorrik: Owning all things, and destroying what it cannot have
  • Mordremoth: Destroying the world
  • DSD: Too great an unknown

Only Mordremoth seems to be after destroying the world itself – based on Season 2 dialogue with the Zephyrite Masters who were relating rantings that Aerin had, where he spoke of the world’s destruction. This is a bit odd in his case because the world’s destruction means Mordremoth’s death as well – supposedly.

Zhaitan and Kralkatorrik seem more interested in just corrupting all things (and destroying what they cannot corrupt). Naturally, in different ways

Jormag, interestingly, doesn’t seem to care if it corrupts all things but focuses on letting the strong win – and will grant more strength to those who ask for it.

Primordus has shown little interest in corrupting the living, only showing intent on wiping out life. The Great Destroyer’s purpose in GW1 was not only to wake Primordus, but to usher the way for him by wiping out all surface life (so we were told).

I think asura gates would work the same as stargates? IT could travel to different worlds if they are calibrated and connected to different worlds? OR it doesnt work that way? I dont know thats why i am asking it

Yes and no. You need to establish a gate on the other side, and it’s not proven that placing them on another world would work, but they work going into the Mists. But as said, calibration is hard in lore as both gates have to be calibrated to each other manually at the same time, so they refrain from doing it a lot except when on schedules.

Asura travel technology has – until very recently – been founded on the basis of “a device at the start and end point both calibrated to receive and send to each other”. And the prototypes that we see are… unpredictable, most of the time (CoE experimental teleporter shoots you high into the sky; so does the lab in Bloodtide Coast half the time; and the tests in Brisban opens up constantly to the wrong coordinates).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Technology

in Lore

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Space no, but they could launch us to Cantha or Elona.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Technology

in Lore

Posted by: Pyro.4765

Pyro.4765

So here’s a question: could the Elder Dragons follow the player races into the mists? If all hope is lost would they be a safe retreat for the world’s civilizations?

Of course going into the mists would give the dragons a clear shot at the gates and make returning to Tyria likely impossible, but would leaving the world be a viable last resort?

Technology

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

So here’s a question: could the Elder Dragons follow the player races into the mists? If all hope is lost would they be a safe retreat for the world’s civilizations?

Of course going into the mists would give the dragons a clear shot at the gates and make returning to Tyria likely impossible, but would leaving the world be a viable last resort?

It depends on what all else is out there. The parts of the Mists we’ve seen don’t appear suited for long-term habitation- maybe the Borderlands, but those can only fit so many, and we don’t know how stable they might be in the long term. Add to that we’ve yet to develop a reliable way to access or traverse the Mists. The few portals that are stable were created by divine intervention or flukes, and moving from one part of the Mists to another doesn’t seem feasible, although I suppose airships might do the trick.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Technology

in Lore

Daniel Handler.4816

It depends on what all else is out there. The parts of the Mists we’ve seen don’t appear suited for long-term habitation- maybe the Borderlands, but those can only fit so many, and we don’t know how stable they might be in the long term. Add to that we’ve yet to develop a reliable way to access or traverse the Mists. The few portals that are stable were created by divine intervention or flukes, and moving from one part of the Mists to another doesn’t seem feasible, although I suppose airships might do the trick.

I’ve always wondered if the Asuran portals to the mist were calibrated using Balthazar’s portal. If this were true then space/mist exploration is way behind. After all we have only gone to places with help from greater beings. It would make exploration a very slow process of using airships to explore beyond known locations. It is nowhere close to supporting actual life. However in the event of world destruction we could possibly invade a world in wvw that had not been destroyed.

Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

Technology

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

One consideration with going into the Mists is that when the gods shipped humans out of their previous home, they took them to Tyria, even though the gods themselves clearly have the capability to carve out their own fiefs in the Mists. This suggests to me that it’s safer to live on a world than in the Mists.

I suspect the Mists are a bit like how Tyria might be if magic levels run too high. Powerful beings (including Tyrian heroes) can survive and do well there, but you wouldn’t want to try to maintain a civilisation there unless the alternative is worse.

Regarding going into outer space… if such a thing even exists in the GWverse, remember that asura technology is founded on magic, and that magic is ultimately sourced from Tyria. It’s possible that there just isn’t the magic up there to fuel it, and asura magic storage devices aren’t efficient enough to make up that shortfall.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Technology

in Lore

Posted by: Zunnar.8503

Zunnar.8503

Yeah I actually logged in to mention the difference between Asura (magic) and Charr (physical) technology but it looks like that’s been covered.

One thing that it is very easy to miss about the lore is that the Asura technology is superior with all things magical but Charr technology is more advanced when it comes to the workings of physical machines, so if we’re talking rockets and such the Charr are (far) ahead on that, and only very recently have helicopters and airships come about. Due to the steampunk nature of the Charr technology in the game, it’s easy to forget that the Charr are as far ahead of the other races when it comes to physical technology as the Asura are with their magical technology.

Of course the combination of different technologies happens in the game’s lore, but even considering all that there is so much going on in Tyria they really do not have time to worry about thinking of other planets, I would suspect.

If any of that has changed since before the game came out do correct me of course. It’s just really common to see people think the Asura are technologically superior, when it’s not that simple. Just how big the gap is between the Charr and Asura is another matter entirely, since there is a fair bit of arrogance from both sides on that front. For example a Charr in the Black Citadel says she wasn’t worried about touring Asura learning how to make a few alloys when the Asura are centuries behind when it comes to the design and construction of physical technology, but who knows how much she may have been exaggerating.

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think of this though, especially since (correct me if I’m wrong) the humans and their gods came from a different planet originally.

Technology

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I think both the asura and charr exaggerate how far ahead they are over the other races, including each other. They certainly are ahead in their respective fields, but they appear to be more ahead than they actually are because the other races are more concerned about aesthetics, while as far as asura and charr are concerned, looking overtly magical or technological respectively is their preferred aesthetic.

Humans, for instance, have produced a lot of magical devices over the centuries. This has been lost/downplayed between GW1 and GW2, but as much of the distinction seems to be that humans, sylvari, and norn are better at making magical devices that don’t look overtly magical. The asura are certainly the best at making magical devices, but the gap is smaller than one might think at first glance.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Technology

in Lore

Daniel Handler.4816

I think both the asura and charr exaggerate how far ahead they are over the other races, including each other. They certainly are ahead in their respective fields, but they appear to be more ahead than they actually are because the other races are more concerned about aesthetics, while as far as asura and charr are concerned, looking overtly magical or technological respectively is their preferred aesthetic.

Humans, for instance, have produced a lot of magical devices over the centuries. This has been lost/downplayed between GW1 and GW2, but as much of the distinction seems to be that humans, sylvari, and norn are better at making magical devices that don’t look overtly magical. The asura are certainly the best at making magical devices, but the gap is smaller than one might think at first glance.

Sylvari seed pod is a functioning helicopter. Took them less than 25 years to make. They can terraform faster than any other race. And the Dream gives them the potential for super high intellect Sylvari who already have practical skills when born.

Technology

in Lore

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

How come they have the technology but never went to the moon or created space travel?

Because it would make for an ub3r boring storyline. Also, I don’t particularly like Star Wars or Star Trek.

Technology

in Lore

Posted by: Explodie.9428

Explodie.9428

How come they have the technology but never went to the moon or created space travel?

Because it would make for an ub3r boring storyline. Also, I don’t particularly like Star Wars or Star Trek.

Its not ment for space battle or such, but actually Mankind always wanted to go the moon since always so i wondered why not in tyria. Its not that Anet should add it but i always wondered why there hasnt been an atempt in gw2 or a record of it that they tried.

Technology

in Lore

Vesuvius.9874

Its not ment for space battle or such, but actually Mankind always wanted to go the moon since always so i wondered why not in tyria. Its not that Anet should add it but i always wondered why there hasnt been an atempt in gw2 or a record of it that they tried.

I know but can you imagine a part of the community going on an on about “omg first they block off access to Cantha and Elona, now they won’t let us goto the Moon? QQ!”

I believe whole space travel thing sounds very strange and awkward given the genre of the game. Can you imagine SAB being part of the actual lore of Tyria? That was just an April Fool’s joke and the whole community is up in arms about SAB not returning. Imagine with the whole moon/space travel thing. Eww, please let’s not add another SAB-like element to the game.

Technology

in Lore

Daniel Handler.4816

I know but can you imagine a part of the community going on an on about “omg first they block off access to Cantha and Elona, now they won’t let us goto the Moon? QQ!”

I believe whole space travel thing sounds very strange and awkward given the genre of the game. Can you imagine SAB being part of the actual lore of Tyria? That was just an April Fool’s joke and the whole community is up in arms about SAB not returning. Imagine with the whole moon/space travel thing. Eww, please let’s not add another SAB-like element to the game.

SAB is not an April fools and is a part of the lore. As much as ho-ho hero tron is. And not sure what SAB had to do with space.

Technology

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

SAB started as April’s Fools, and at that point we had no reason to think it was part of lore.

Until SAB:Return to School, it was just as likely that Corporal Bane was canon lore (which I suppose they could come out and say ‘yes, his appearance is canon – both of them’ with some fancy dodad explanation attached).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Technology

in Lore

Vesuvius.9874

not sure what SAB had to do with space.

Just saying that SAB was just as out of place in the GW universe as the idea of space and space travel.

Technology

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

• Mordremoth: Destroying the world

Where do we learn this again? From what we can tell Mordy had in fact returned life (plant life mind you) back to the Maguuma Wastes, so I always assumed he’d cover the world in mordem-forests.

Technology

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

It didn’t occur to me until after the crash as I tried to understand what had just happened. There were signs, bursts of anger. He said odd things about believing the world must be destroyed.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Reunion_with_the_Pact#Dialogue

Aspect Masters talking about Aerin and his talking-to-himselfness.

Mordremoth doesn’t really return plant life back to the Maguuma Wastes – the Heart of the Maguuma that we’ll be going into in HoT had that jungle all along – and is viewed as an invader by the inhabitants; the Maguuma Wastes barely sees new plantlife, really, and what there is, is vines that destroy the landscape and kill wildlife.

Mordremoth’s corruption in appearance is an invasive species thoroughly, but one that harms not only the natural wildlife and plantlife, but the landscape too.

Dear ANet writers,

Technology

in Lore

Daniel Handler.4816

SAB started as April’s Fools, and at that point we had no reason to think it was part of lore.

Until SAB:Return to School, it was just as likely that Corporal Bane was canon lore (which I suppose they could come out and say ‘yes, his appearance is canon – both of them’ with some fancy dodad explanation attached).

But return to school did happen. And with that it became an event, like wintersday. Also lore. One on Aprils is not lore. Off Aprils or repeated is.

Reminder to you world destroyer enthusiast out there. The consumption of dragon’s has to do with eating magic and then falling asleep. They do not destroy the world, it is their home, if the world dies they die too. Mordemoth is just trying to consume as much magic as possible. Unfortunately some of the magic is inside of living things so he has to take it out of them. Unfortunately that might kill them.