Thanksgiving in Tyria

Thanksgiving in Tyria

in Lore

Posted by: Vephar.8475

Vephar.8475

So, is this holiday celebrated in Tyria? Do people eat stuffed moa and mashed potatoes in Tyria today?
Just curious if anyone knows anything about Thanksgiving in Tyria

Thanksgiving in Tyria

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Is Thanksgiving even celebrated outside North America? I mean Halloween is one thing, but I don’t think we need Thanksgiving in Tyria.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

Thanksgiving in Tyria

in Lore

Posted by: Vephar.8475

Vephar.8475

Good point. I was just curious.

Thanksgiving in Tyria

in Lore

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

In Guildwars they had some special Thanksgiving related drops.

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Thanksgiving in Tyria

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

No. There was an event in gw1 called sweet treat week, which is ongoing now, and it’s lore was that a single guild (Fraturnal Order of Bakers and Brewers) would sell seasonal pies and ale during the time, but there was no holiday.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Thanksgiving in Tyria

in Lore

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

Thanksgiving is an North American-only thing as far as I know and different than Halloween it’s not easy to be integrate in a game as a fun and light-hearted activity.
mostly because people would stay in houses and clebrated in their families and then the streets would be pretty empty and boring for the PC who doesn’t seem to have such a close relationship with their family.

Thanksgiving in Tyria

in Lore

Posted by: Mushroomz.4280

Mushroomz.4280

I feel like the problem with a Thanksgiving themed event is the event density… it already sucks that Halloween and Christmas events are as dense as they are. It really sucked that Halloween co launched with Heart of Thorns. I honestly believe Halloween should have launched a week or two early, but it’s too late now.

Thanksgiving in Tyria

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Is Thanksgiving even celebrated outside North America?

We use to celebrate when we killed a lot of the indigenous population. They were pretty thankful they didn’t all get killed. Does that count? :P
Although they changed it to Heritage Day.

Thanksgiving in Tyria

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Is Thanksgiving even celebrated outside North America?

We use to celebrate when we killed a lot of the indigenous population. They were pretty thankful they didn’t all get killed. Does that count? :P
Although they changed it to Heritage Day.

Depends which country you are from. Wikipedia tells me Canada has a heritage day, that wouldn’t count as it’s still in NA. But South Africa has one too, so that would count.

Either way, we have a holiday somewhat similar to Thanksgiving too, here in Germany. “Erntedank” (~“thanks for the harvest”) but it’s not celebrated like Thanksgiving and it’s in october, not november. Basically there are special church services on that day. So the only people that care about it are the ones that go to church on a regular basis. Not that many anymore. Personally I’ve never attended one.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

Thanksgiving in Tyria

in Lore

Posted by: Polarfairy.8046

Polarfairy.8046

As much as I like the idea of big feasts laid out in Lions Arch and kid npc’s sitting around having little conversations about what they’re thankful for, I don’t know if Thanksgiving really has a place in the world of Tyria. I don’t think any race has ever successfully nicked land off anyone else without being shortly and swiftly kicked out again and what with mad king thorn existing, pumpkin pie would probably just give everyone the heebie jeebies. However I’m sure the majority of people are really really thankful they survived another yearly dragon attack! Maybe when they’re all dead we’ll create our own Thanksgiving about reclaiming the world! You know, before something else tries to kill us all.

Thanksgiving in Tyria

in Lore

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

Thanksgiving isn’t about taking people’s land :/ I mean, you’re right to say that it DID in fact happen, and it was awful, but if you think Thanksgiving is a holiday celebrating our brutal treatment of Native Americans, you’re kind of missing the point entirely. So, the idea that people in Tyria not having a Thanksgiving holiday based on Tyrian people’s inability to take land and keep it is a little off point. (Also I wouldn’t say that humans were “swiftly” removed from the Charr lands they took. They were kicking it Ascalon for quite a long time)
There are probably tons of things they could be thankful for. Not being annihilated by dragons (yet) would be a good start. Or they can even just make it a generic harvest festival. They could be thankful the land produces food and whatnot. But if they added that to Tyria it probably wouldn’t be so late in winter. I think most harvest festivals are in early or mid fall, if they’re celebrated.
But I think the key reason Thanksgiving time isn’t celebrated in GW2 (and was such a minor thing in GW1) is that Thanksgiving in the late November time frame is a fairly North America specific holiday.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Thanksgiving in Tyria

in Lore

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Thanksgiving isn’t about taking people’s land :/ I mean, you’re right to say that it DID in fact happen, and it was awful, but if you think Thanksgiving is a holiday celebrating our brutal treatment of Native Americans, you’re kind of missing the point entirely.

I’m pretty sure that was sarcasm, making some light fun of America’s history.

(Also I wouldn’t say that humans were “swiftly” removed from the Charr lands they took. They were kicking it Ascalon for quite a long time)

The difference being that the humans were not the people originally living there, nor were they nearly as defenseless as the indians were.

But I think the key reason Thanksgiving time isn’t celebrated in GW2 (and was such a minor thing in GW1) is that Thanksgiving in the late November time frame is a fairly North America specific holiday.

That, and the fact that there is not a lot time between Halloween and Wintersday already.

Thanksgiving in Tyria

in Lore

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

The “only way” to get a “thanksgiving” currently would be to celebrate Human/Charr peace. But we do not know when negociations will end.

Thanksgiving in Tyria

in Lore

Posted by: BigZThyDoom.8750

BigZThyDoom.8750

As much as I like the idea of big feasts laid out in Lions Arch and kid npc’s sitting around having little conversations about what they’re thankful for, I don’t know if Thanksgiving really has a place in the world of Tyria. I don’t think any race has ever successfully nicked land off anyone else without being shortly and swiftly kicked out again and what with mad king thorn existing, pumpkin pie would probably just give everyone the heebie jeebies.

That’s not quite true, since the Charr were able to conquer Ascalon back from the humans, and have been there for the last 200+ years.

Thanksgiving in Tyria

in Lore

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

“The difference being that the humans were not the people originally living there, nor were they nearly as defenseless as the indians were.”

That was kind of a key idea behind my point. I know the humans were not the original inhabitants, but I wouldn’t call their removal “Swift” when they held the land for a few hundred years. If the Native Americans managed to take back North America 600 years from now, it would not be viewed historically as swift revenge :p

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Thanksgiving in Tyria

in Lore

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

i cant recall any guild wars lore event where some people would arrive to a newly found land and begin slaughtering its natives in horrifying numbers so i suppose that means thanksgiving doesnt exist in guild wars

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

Thanksgiving in Tyria

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

No, there is no event or celebration like Thanksgiving in Tyria, or GW lore in general.

I don’t really think there needs to be either. Unless it was explicitly used in a lore sense to celebrate, as somebody else said, a permanent Charr-human peace treaty, and themed entirely around that and not really any RL influence.

Thanksgiving in Tyria

in Lore

Posted by: Nero.8047

Nero.8047

Why don’t we just let this thread rest?
OP’s question is 2 months old and has been answered 2 months ago.
This isn’t as much a necro-thread as it is an echo-thread with the same answer repeated over and over again.

Not that I mind it that much, I just keep seeing “new post in the lore section” because of echoes in the “No thanksgiving in Tyria” or “Sylvari don’t burn as easily as you might think because…” threads while they are in essence closed threads already. ^^

Perhaps I don’t understand forums too well.
It’s also quite ironic how my comment which is non-relevant to the OP’s question bumps a thread which I would rather see closed.
But allow me to just ask in general then:

In a thread that isn’t 10+ pages long…
…what is the use of repeating answers?
Especially when this certain thread is months old.

My apologies if I happen to sound like anything but curious with a small touch of hypocrisy.

Paragon of the Seraphim Order [Ankh]
a small, casual Guild with a play as you want style.