The Civil War (yeah, spoilers and cookies)

in Lore

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

There are no cookies.

Okay, so the whole thingy with Sylvari turning out to be Mordy’s minions and all that burst of imagination concluded in two cutscenes where we see our Flora hippies ripping off human livers with polearms, pitchforks and doing leaps of faith in plate armor in general, quite possibly usual things in murica.

So, do we get a Civil war now?

Tendrils, roots, plants, sylvaris and other hentai stuff against proud defenders, chopping through wee..wood like Jack Nicholson in “The Shining”, lured by an expansion. I guess it would be logical, eh?

Now I’d like to see your opinions on one subject: When Planty goes into nerdrage?

Is it just caused by getting too close to fungal lizard?

Or is it like a switch, turning Terminator mode on and hatching Aliens out of vegan, gluten-free belly? And just few Mordvakhins, the chosen ones, the saviors don’t give a crap about that corruption?

Myself, I’d like to see some kind of deeper ethinic-civil war. Like Sylvari not suddenly waving lumberaxes at us, but joining the dark side with a free will, under propaganda.

How would Civil War in GW2 look like? Like this?

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

(edited by Rym.1469)

in Lore

Posted by: Cerbeius.7129

Cerbeius.7129

I was waiting for this moment…

Lady Cerba, Ascalonian Priestess of Grenth

- Piken Square, [REN][DKAL]

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

I like and hate the idea.

I like it, because it could be interesting. It is something that has been hinted and there is a lot of potential.
Like the lingering question who is on our side, since Sylvari are now ticking time bombs.

However there is a lot of danger and I am unsure if Anet is able to pull it off.
With so many Civil War story potential in general in Guild Wars, this is the one I really didn`t want to see.

More so as a big thread and direction has allready been set. We weren`t able to really participate and now we get another detour, which will definetly take up much time in the upcoming Season/Expansion.

This is a storyline that would be cool to wrap in a Season to be honest, since it would be a thing that will bring living world changes.
Without proper phasing technology I do not believe it will be good for an expansion, where all the content is available from the start and everyone will be able to see changes.
(like a crusade against the pale tree as it is hinted.)

in Lore

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

Now I’d like to see your opinions on one subject: When Planty goes into nerdrage?

Is it just caused by getting too close to fungal lizard?

You know, that has me curious as well. Were I to hazard a guess, I’d say the conversion of regular Sylvari to minions would be subtle and slow. However, enough examples of those who follow Mord and start attacking innocent people would have the rest of non-sylvari frightened.

In the cutscene you do see the sylvari with sword and shield defending himself, outraged by the assault that is about to befall him. He sounds confused, concerned, and ready to defend himself – not slaughtering. Later we see actual battles which I’d say is just hostilities growing in mass, what we see of this battle is the climax with no supposed conclusion in sight.

We do have the Nightmare Court after all, a ripe source of infantry ready for the taking. So a couple platoons of Sylvari from The Pale Tree would be enough to stir fear in everyone else. Is that Sylvari tradesmen a insurgent or is he running? It’d be like Marvel’s Civil War or the Mutant Registration Act. These things happen in steps. First there’s question, next comes concern, then there’s paranoia/fear, and from there you have violence spreading like wild fire.

Note: Not all Sylvaris will probably join Mordremoth since we the players will likely be immune but that’s a lot of player-sylvari not joining their father’s cause. The player-Sylvari will likely not be the only exception.

Now if Anet wanted to try something really daring, playing a Sylvari character should entail a different form of story to reflect the growing tension. Our allies, the Destiny’s Edge 2.0, likely wouldn’t rush to chop the head off of a Sylvari-player but NPCs shouldn’t go, “Oh it’s you, we’re just going to kill your brothers and sisters – no big deal. But not you, ok? You’re cool.”

(edited by Ronin.7381)

in Lore

Posted by: Camarell.5648

Camarell.5648

its not gonna be a civil war for the same reason it wasnt any hate for everyone but sylvari that turned into Zhaitan minion when dead, or sometimes not even dead. Or the branded for that matter. Noone says hey, its a branded charr lets kill all charrs.

Yes sylvari is a dragon creation, doesnt mean that all sylvaris is minions.

in Lore

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

I feel like the game has already hinted at distrust for the Sylvari a few times. Especially with the Priory trio in the Dry Top areas. Also, the key difference with the Slyvari and the other races, is the other races were independent races turned into minions by the dragon after their deaths. They weren’t living breathing minions created from the dragons, for the dragons. Differences like that are not likely to go unnoticed.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

in Lore

Rym.1469

its not gonna be a civil war for the same reason it wasnt any hate for everyone but sylvari that turned into Zhaitan minion when dead, or sometimes not even dead. Or the branded for that matter. Noone says hey, its a branded charr lets kill all charrs.

This time it’s not so obvious.

You see, risen, branded, icebrood – They’re all different in their physic form and none of them has been friendly to the Player in the past, just pre-transformation. They’re straight bad.

“Goodie” Sylvari however are not different from “Baddie” Sylvari in their physique. It seems that they are firendly and then can just turn their terminator mode on, suddenly kill your minipets and be the bad one.

People affected by HIV are not different visually from those who are not, aren’t they? And you’d be still afraid in central Africa. What would you do then, to feel safe? Refuse to take anyone on date.

Except in Tyrian Sylvari’s case, you’d like to just obliterate the Plants and hang their salad head on pikes.

in Lore

Posted by: Camarell.5648

Camarell.5648

whatever the outcome i love the twist, even though as u say its hinted from time to time, that this might be… im still gonna stand my ground on the fact its a difference of being created by a dragon and a dragon minion.

in Lore

Posted by: Sean.8274

Sean.8274

I would hypothesize that instead of a civil war, there is a second (or more) tree(s) in west Maguuma which bear evil sylvari serving Mordremoth which we will be fighting.

I am pretty sure that the Pale tree is a rebel against Mordremoth (which is why he tried to kill her) and I suspect that our Sylvari have some defense against his influence.

Lucy Ursa~80 Guardian | Worf Rozhenko~80 Warrior | Vera Valentine~80 Mesmer | Cupcake~80 Engi
King Arcturus X~80 Ranger | Suki Serra~80 Thief | Count Charon~80 Necro | Regulus Leo~80 Ele
HoD since launch

in Lore

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

I wouldn’t mind seeing an anti-Sylvari faction popping up, afraid of all Sylvari, people who have lost family members to Mordremoth ( like Marjorie and her family) or ex-pact soldiers for example.

They start spreading anti-Sylvari propaganda, harass innocent Sylvari, Publicly hang them (like Mordremoth does to his victims). Maybe even a civil war in LA, when the anti-Sylvari league tries to take over (Maybe Kiel turns out to be Anti-Sylvari and Gnashblade takes over?).

Could be an amusing living world story to see the anti sylvari support gets bigger and bigger until it ends in a grand final fight in LA (or the grove)

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

in Lore

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

I wouldn’t mind seeing an anti-Sylvari faction popping up, afraid of all Sylvari, people who have lost family members to Mordremoth ( like Marjorie and her family) or ex-pact soldiers for example.

They start spreading anti-Sylvari propaganda, harass innocent Sylvari, Publicly hang them (like Mordremoth does to his victims). Maybe even a civil war in LA, when the anti-Sylvari league tries to take over (Maybe Kiel turns out to be Anti-Sylvari and Gnashblade takes over?).

Could be an amusing living world story to see the anti sylvari support gets bigger and bigger until it ends in a grand final fight in LA (or the grove)

I do think that if tensions are going to be rising somewhere that LA will be the place. It is multi-racial after all. And now there is talk in LA about a risk of riots.

However I think Kiel will sooner be pro-sylvari, with Gnashblade being anti-sylvari than the other way around.

in Lore

Rym.1469

I’d gladly welcome Cashblade on the place of Kiel.

in Lore

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

How would Civil War in GW2 look like?

It’s not like a civil war is anything new to Guild Wars. How do you think Queen Salma rose to the throne?

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

That is one aspect to the whole “Sylvari are dragon minions!” reveal that I’m really looking forward to. How will ordinary Tyrians react to the knowledge once normal Sylvari start freaking out and going all Terminator on their neighbours. Of course, once the Pale Tree recovers it’s likely only Soundless that are at risk of doing so, but come on, look at real life. People are usually all too quick to tar a single ethnicity or religion with the same brush. All Sylvari will likely be looked at with suspicion or fear, even if they are at no risk of being corrupted.

And what’s more, does that mean that now the Pale Tree must forbid any Sylvari from choosing to go Soundless, for their own good? It could be an interesting commentary on at what point must an individual’s freedom and rights be restricted for the good of the greater society. (You could draw a comparison with gun control, for example. Or smoking.)

in Lore

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

However I think Kiel will sooner be pro-sylvari, with Gnashblade being anti-sylvari than the other way around.

I thought so too at first, but what does Gnashblade gain by being anti-Sylvari, he doesn’t care about them, he just wants to make profit.

Kiel on the other hand ‘failed’ LA by letting it get destroyed by Scarlet, THE evil sylvari, she has a reason for vengeance.

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

I think Evon’s angle would be riding a popular hate movement to power- something that’s had frequent success in real-world politics. Kiel, meanwhile, would essentially be in a position of turning on a chunk of her constituency- not to mention she’s a painful enough do-gooder to give Logan a run for his money.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

I think there will be a civil war or a massive distrust as long as we investigate how and under which conditions the sylvari turns into mindless minions.

I would claim, that it has to do with the relationship between sylvari and the pale tree and maybe the current condition of the pale tree. Right now she is really weak.

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

in Lore

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

random racist npc: “sylvari are dragon minions”
me: “SO WAS GLINT…. and… that chicken over there….”
twitchy: “bawk?”

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

in Lore

Zaxares.5419

There is also one other thing to keep in mind. Caithe warned that “Sylvari have already started losing their minds. Mordremoth won’t stop there.” Could that mean that Mordremoth can eventually dominate non-Sylvari too? We didn’t see any signs of non-Sylvari getting corrupted by Mordrem yet, but what if that changes once he awakens? Sylvari may be more vulnerable due to their heritage, but maybe all Mordremoth needs is to infect animals with his spores and he can then mentally command them too. Truly nobody in Tyria could be trusted if that happened.

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

the simile is somewhat inaccurate: Branded Charr == Char + Kralky corruption; Risen Human == Human + Zhaitan corruption. However Sylvari == Mordrem, no corruption needed. There is the mitigating circumstance of corruption which separate the Branded or Risen from their none corrupted kin, however Sylvari are already dragon minions, they don’t need to be corrupted.

People affected by HIV are not different visually from those who are not, aren’t they? And you’d be still afraid in central Africa. What would you do then, to feel safe? Refuse to take anyone on date.

Well not for the first few years, the moment the aids hits it’s pretty obvious. Also you’re slightly misinformed, we southern Africans have the most HIV. Well one could argue though that it’s difficult if not impossible to get decent statistics regarding HIV infections in central Africa because… well it’s central Africa. But whatever the reason South Africa (my home country…. yay?) has the highest recorded HIV infection rate.

Except in Tyrian Sylvari’s case, you’d like to just obliterate the Plants and hang their salad head on pikes.

What a waste of perfectly good veggies. If we plan it right we can wipe out hunger in all Kryta (for however long the civil war goes on).

Yeah, this seems like the logical progression.
Although perhaps hanging them for their race might not be a good idea… mostly because of… well ANet is an American company after all.

I think Evon’s angle would be riding a popular hate movement to power- something that’s had frequent success in real-world politics. Kiel, meanwhile, would essentially be in a position of turning on a chunk of her constituency- not to mention she’s a painful enough do-gooder to give Logan a run for his money.

yeah, but I’d prefer less focus on the multi-racial LA and more focused on the races themselves. How does the Black Citadel, Rata Sum (or Mursaat if you like anagrams ;P), Divinity’s Reach and Hoelbrak react. Sure LA should also be included but I think it would be better to give us less focused on multi-cultural placed like LA because LA being multi-cultural is non-cultural. Charr aren’t Charr in LA, Norn arn’t Norn. They’re all LAers.

random racist npc: “sylvari are dragon minions”
me: “SO WAS GLINT…. and… that chicken over there….”
twitchy: “bawk?”

Twitchy is going to be a raid boss CONFIRMED!

There is also one other thing to keep in mind. Caithe warned that “Sylvari have already started losing their minds. Mordremoth won’t stop there.” Could that mean that Mordremoth can eventually dominate non-Sylvari too? We didn’t see any signs of non-Sylvari getting corrupted by Mordrem yet, but what if that changes once he awakens? Sylvari may be more vulnerable due to their heritage, but maybe all Mordremoth needs is to infect animals with his spores and he can then mentally command them too. Truly nobody in Tyria could be trusted if that happened.

The question around ED corruption is an interesting one. I think the consensus is that any ED can corrupt in anyway, but that EDs have preferred methods of corruption.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

No, I don’t want another LA story yet either. Ideally, I’d see the place rebuilt and then not made the primary focus of a patch again until one or two dragons down the road. That said, the plot there should really be progressing in the background, at least until it gets to a point that’s reasonable to persist for an extended period of time.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

(edited by Aaron Ansari.1604)

in Lore

Rym.1469

Realpolitik?

Charrpolitik?

As for idea of anti-sylvari fraction, that could be a good idea.

I fear however, that ArenaNet might simply not have balls to make fraction like this, because in today’s world they could’ve been easily accused of similarities with 1939-1944 German propaganda. Despite obvious major differences, but hey, who would go deeper?

in Lore

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Mordremoth absolutely can corrupt non-Sylvari as well. Mordrem Wolves and Mordrem Trolls were both once non-plant based life.

If we assume that Tyrian cell structure is similar to that of life on Earth, we can assume that Mordremoth’s corruption can and does extend beyond plant corruption. If you look closely at Mordrem Wolves and Trolls, you can notice that his corruption is seemingly parasitic in nature when it comes to non-plant life.

I am not sure about Teragriffs and Healers. I have a hunch that Teragriffs were once Colocal but this could just be my assumption based on their appearance. Since we have never seen a non-Mordrem Terragriff, we don’t know if they exist un-corrupted or if they have been created by Mordremoth as a minion.

In short, Mordremoth can and does corrupt non-plant life.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

in Lore

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Realpolitik?

Charrpolitik?

As for idea of anti-sylvari fraction, that could be a good idea.

I fear however, that ArenaNet might simply not have balls to make fraction like this, because in today’s world they could’ve been easily accused of similarities with 1939-1944 German propaganda. Despite obvious major differences, but hey, who would go deeper?

I hope they do but I agree with you. I’m not so sure they would go there. The story is getting better but for the better part of Seasons 1 and 2 it has been extremely shallow with very few deep and interesting characters.

It seems that more and more is being attributed to the doing of the Dragons. I think they are set to tackle a black-and-white narrative. I’m always welcome to be proven wrong by Anet though. I have been saying for some time that the Pact needed to go. It was too convenient.

The Races, Nations, and Orders were and are much more interesting. I hope they explore the tensions between the races more and truly make you feel important as the hero binding these races together. It would be your responsibility to involve yourself in the civil wars and separatist movements within each Nation in order to maintain a Union in Tyria.

In this way, your suggestion would work very well. I’m sure Caudecus would love to take this opportunity to gain support against Queen Jennah and her policy of racial tolerance. I’m sure the Inquest would love to use this fear to gain more support for their method of experimentation. We know the Blood Legion only accepts Charr alliances because it isn’t willing to go to war with both Iron and Ash at the same time.

There is material to tell a complex and interesting story here. They could even make players think about the hypothetical implications of their decisions in the real world. It would be very nice but I doubt they will do anything like this.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

in Lore

Zaxares.5419

Mordremoth absolutely can corrupt non-Sylvari as well. Mordrem Wolves and Mordrem Trolls were both once non-plant based life.

If we assume that Tyrian cell structure is similar to that of life on Earth, we can assume that Mordremoth’s corruption can and does extend beyond plant corruption. If you look closely at Mordrem Wolves and Trolls, you can notice that his corruption is seemingly parasitic in nature when it comes to non-plant life.

I am not sure about Teragriffs and Healers. I have a hunch that Teragriffs were once Colocal but this could just be my assumption based on their appearance. Since we have never seen a non-Mordrem Terragriff, we don’t know if they exist un-corrupted or if they have been created by Mordremoth as a minion.

Oh yes, of course. What I meant was Mordremoth’s ability to mentally corrupt other races, the same way he does with the Sylvari, without necessarily physically transforming them. Such dominated thralls could be perfect saboteurs and infiltrators, completely normal looking on the outside but secretly doing Mordremoth’s bidding. As I originally theorised, this might be done by way of infesting a creature with invisible spores, lurking inside their lungs or brains, but with no outward signs of infestation.

I believe that the Teragriffs are corrupted Colocals (more likely, given their presence in nearby Dry Top) or Griffons.

in Lore

Rym.1469

Oh yes, of course. What I meant was Mordremoth’s ability to mentally corrupt other races, the same way he does with the Sylvari, without necessarily physically transforming them. Such dominated thralls could be perfect saboteurs and infiltrators, completely normal looking on the outside but secretly doing Mordremoth’s bidding. As I originally theorised, this might be done by way of infesting a creature with invisible spores, lurking inside their lungs or brains, but with no outward signs of infestation.

I believe that the Teragriffs are corrupted Colocals (more likely, given their presence in nearby Dry Top) or Griffons.

So the Mordremoth was the cause of all that fungus drama in “The Last of Us”. Dum dum dum duumm.

But being serious, that would be very, very similar to the early stages of Shiro Tagachi’s curse back on Shing Jea, like in Minister Cho’s Estate mission.

(edited by Rym.1469)