The Dragon Wars that might have been...

in Lore

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Hi!

Would it be possible to get some insight from the story team about the process of adding the new Elite Specializations to the world of Tyria? How these new fighting traditions fit in? What inspired them and their new class Icons? And, as the thread title suggests, what were some of the other possibilities of name or theme that were discussed but set aside for this first wave?

We know about the origins of the Revenant profession. It would be nice to feel similarly grounded when looking at the Chronomancer, Dragon Hunter, Druid, and Reaper (and the others still to come) both from an in-game perspective and from a Designer’s outlook.

Looking forward to hearing more!

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Lore

Posted by: Arrk.4102

Arrk.4102

I, too, would love too see this.

in Lore

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

Well the mesmer’s main attribute in GW1 was Fast Casting, so mesmers were the best profession to give the chronomancer. I would say it’s a natural extension of mesmer magic, just as Minister Reiko was the first mesmer known to use clones.

As for the skill icons, the ones on the wiki are re-used GW1 skills icons.

in Lore

Posted by: Bellyboomer.3048

Bellyboomer.3048

Well the mesmer’s main attribute in GW1 was Fast Casting, so mesmers were the best profession to give the chronomancer. I would say it’s a natural extension of mesmer magic, just as Minister Reiko was the first mesmer known to use clones.

I feel like this is true for all classes. Dragonhunter is just a strong guardian.
That being said, we will probably see some justification for classes in our main allies. Belinda is the first necromancer we see using a greatsword. Braham is a guardian and the son of a legendary ‘dragonhunter’, Eir, who also uses a longbow.

What would be really interesting if we see references to old lore: the druids of the maguma and the reapers of grenth…

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

In general profession lore plays a very small part in the world of Tyria, sadly enough. So I’m afraid we won’t get much in the way of profession lore… would be wonderful if we did.

in Lore

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

Belinda is the first necromancer we see using a greatsword.

Trahearne.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

in Lore

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

Belinda is the first necromancer we see using a greatsword.

Trahearne.

Does that really count though? Caladbolg functions as a bundle rather than a weapon.

in Lore

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

Does that really count though? Caladbolg functions as a bundle rather than a weapon.

Why would it not? When ArenaNet was first talking about e-specs and why certain characters were using non-profession weapons, they referenced Trahearne as a necromancer who also used a greatsword.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

When going into more depth on the revenant, Anet said that they regretted not going into the lore of the professions and intend to make up for that with the revenant and the specializations.

And they’ve been going over the designer’s outlook – at least a bit – with each reveal during the Hidden Arcana segments that accompany each reveal. (Edit: except the Dragonhunter, it seems)

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/hidden-arcana-creating-the-chronomancer/
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/hidden-arcana-developer-spotlight-on-lee-bledsoe/

For lore, the druid specialization is stated to be coming from the original druid group of GW1 – humans hailing from Kryta who left civilization for the Maguuma Jungle to safeguard nature. Rumored to be followers of Melandru, about a century prior to GW1 they disappeared – revealed to be that they shed their human form to take on treant appearances with the ability to have their soul leave their ‘husk’ bodies so that they could be closer to nature.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.