"The Maw" **Spoilers for the third novel**

in Lore

Posted by: MaesterTed.6571

MaesterTed.6571

I just finished reading Sea of Sorrows, and I was wondering if the creature called “The Maw” might be a Leviathan, which was seen in the Manifesto trailer, and of which skeletons can be found around Tyria.
In addition, at one point Cobiah calls it a leviathan, though that’s far from solid proof for obvious reasons.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Leviathan

What kind of creature do you think “The Maw” is?

(My apologies if this has been discussed already, but I did a search and it came up empty.)

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

One of the Marriner Plaques (east of Claw Island Portage Waypoint) answer this, stating that the Maw was an undead Leviathan.

Fun fact: You can actually see the wreckage of the Pride and the Maw in Claw Island instances! http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Claw_Island the PoI called “Pride and Maw” is the wreckage and corpse, and the corpse is huge, though sadly it is at the edge of the accessible area so you cannot go up to it, merely see it from a distance. I noticed it a couple months back and was very curious as to what it was. Finding out that it was part of the third book was quite fascinating to me.

Another fun fact: The Maw’s corpse is the same as many of those large fish bones found throughout the game (such as being in abundance at The Long Way Around mini-dungeon’s end).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: MaesterTed.6571

MaesterTed.6571

Fantastic! Thanks a lot, Konig!

Thankfully, I have a guardian who’s 1 level away from doing the Battle of Claw Island, so I can go check it out.

in Lore

Posted by: Astorion.9312

Astorion.9312

Hey guys! Just googled my way into this topic..
Are these the wreckage of the Pride and the remains of the Maw? (Attachment)
I’ve read all three novels and Sea of Sorrows was definitely my favorite.. and I have always wondered where I could find these.
Well today I reached the Retribution chapter of my personal story and I decided to swim around Claw Island and see if I could find some trace of it.
What I saw here would be my best guess..

Attachments:

Twitter: @royonline_

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Too small of a picture (yes, I clicked it for a new tab :P) to be sure but the Pride and Maw POI is around there. I don’t think that’s it though, as it was a typical Leviathan skeleton with metal wreckage nearby.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Astorion.9312

Ahhh that’s too bad. I really did think to see some wreckage underneath the lower row of ‘ribs’..
But the problem is I just couldn’t get close enough for a decent examination.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Yeah, the thing is out of bounds so you gotta observe from a distance – at least it is in the first of the two instances, I’m not sure about Retribution but the bounds may be smaller there. Wish I still had the screenshot I took a while back. :/

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Astorion.9312

Yeah this screenshot was taken after I finished up Retribution.
So no way to get closer. Too bad.

in Lore

Posted by: Peter Panda.5629

Peter Panda.5629

Actually, you got the right thing. I took a little larger screenshot here: https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/145158/gw211.jpg and the metal wreckage is there, it jsut blends with the sea floor in your picture.

in Lore

Posted by: Luna Silvae.9208

Luna Silvae.9208

So cool! I wanna try to find that now; I loved the third book and the Maw was terrifying! XD

Rhea Elessedil, Sylvari Elementalist/Fae Darkmoon, Human Necromancer
~Dragonbrand~

in Lore

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Well, the Leviathan is a very large Canthan sea creature. They were found in The Deep. Additionally, the Leviathans (different from The Leviathan) are related sea creatures and very similar to modern, GW2 Karka.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The Leviathans in GW2 are fish-like. The Leviathans in the Deeps from Factions were centipede or when like. They are very different. I think those we see in Factions will end up turning out to be Undersea Wurms which we see here and there in GW2, and " The Leviathan" may have been a title for a particular such when (I don’t think the frozen ones were called Leviathans, come to think of it).

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: CMstorm.8679

CMstorm.8679

Dude…forget about the GW2 books. Anet needs to get working on movies!

in Lore

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Yes, I know. I did link the descriptions of either. It’s likely that the naming of them is just an oversight by two different teams working on the two different games (so many years apart).

However, it is worth noting that the Leviathans (GW1 Crustacean creatures) are very similar to the modern day GW2 Karka. The Leviathan in the Deep is actually a Wurm. As you said, the name The Leviathan is just a title rather than a species identifier.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur