The Mystery of the Blighted Firstborn

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

First off: Heart of Thorns final mission spoilers.

That said… Found something many probably overlooked, and it’s rather interesting to me.

If you take Caithe into confronting Mordremoth in the final mission of Heart of Thorns, you fight a Blighted Avatar of the Pale Tree. During this fight, she summons Firstborn sylvari who do nothing but walk to her and die, empowering her with their death. These Firstborn are all given very generic names, based off of the four most common Mordrem Guard enemies: Firstborn Punisher, Firstborn Stalker, Firstborn Sniper, and Firstborn Tormentor.

Some paying attention may recognize a Firstborn or two – particularly Caithe, Wynne, Faolaine, and Trahearne as they’re the most story relevant Firstborn.

As part of documenting the wiki, I noticed something interesting:

There are twelve “Blighted Firstborn” models. And we only know of ten Firstborns. ArenaNet rather stealthy gave us the appearance of the two missing Firstborn – a female and a male, at that.

• Niamh, Kahedins, and Riannoc are the Firstborn Punishers.
  • Caithe, Aife, and Dagonet are the Firstborn Stalkers
  • Wynne and an unknown female are the Firstborn Snipers.

And here comes an oddity:

• Faolain, Trahearne, and two unknown males are the Firstborn Tormentors.

Here are the unknown Firstborn models:

What’s interesting is that Malomedies is missing. Here’s his appearance for the curious. Unless, of course, ArenaNet not only used two generic models as the last two Firstborn… but rather than using Malomedies’ post-torture model (what we always see in-game), they made up a pre-torture model and used that instead. Giving us the original appearance of Malomedies.

The oddity in that, however, is that Faolain and Caithe don’t use their S2 flashback appearances but their standard 1325 AE story appearances.

Just a fun little thing I noticed and thought to share.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

The appearence of Caithe and Faolains standard appearence could simply be, because Mordremoth is tapping into Caithes inner fear, using it as a template and projecting it back at us.

We got the image of Faolain and Caithe thanks to the pale tree, who basicaly had a backup of these memories.

Caithes mind could have adapted in the meantime, putting more emphasis on the current representation of Faolain and herself, which in turn is recreated by Mordremoth.

The missing appearence of Malomedies could be explained in the same way.
Caithe could subconciously purged the details of him in her mind, which would in turn hinder Mordremoth in using them.

While I asume, that Mordremoth could have been able to ressurface these deeper hidden memories, him beeing weakened at the same time from the outside and our pressure on him, despite him trying to stop us, could be enough that he isn’t able to pull these images out.

The other things are certainly interesting.