The Orr before and more...

in Lore

Posted by: Sulist.2408

Sulist.2408

My first experience with this storyline was Guild Wars 2, and seeing the after-impact of 250 years I felt compelled to play Guild Wars and see the places before they were ruins. Unfortunately, Orr was in a sorry state in both games and I was unable to see the glory of Arah and the cities that surrounded the home of the Human Gods. I’ve seen some concept art, but for the most part have been completely disenchanted by Orr. Having sunk, crumbled and shattered, there isn’t much left to piece together what the majesty of this city once looked like… and it’s a big bummer.

I mean, occasionally you’ll find a few intact buildings covered in coral, or a few of those strange golden skyscrapers one bad wind from tipping. A thousand circular… things, I’m not sure what they are actually. For the most part it’s pretty bland, as to be expected from sitting underwater for that long.

I often think if we could just glimpse at Arah and Orr in it’s original form, in it’s glory state we’d really appreciate just how far ahead they really were in their time. Why it was worthy of it’s majestic towers, famed festivals and squares. Great magic and immortal mysteries. Honestly, just a glimpse of what it was would make me appreciate so much more what it has become. Rather than a bland scape of undead mayhem and… so many circles. Le sigh.

in Lore

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

At the end of the mursaat path of the Arah dungeon, the walls are pristine, golden-like and look quite new. In the very least it doesnt look like it has been sunk at all. This could be because of the Mursaat technology in there that was used to phase the users out of this world (the final boss of that dungeon is centered on the idea)

Its nothing big, sadly its just a circular wall like any other. But it looks new. Might be the glimpse you are looking for.

in Lore

Sulist.2408

Ah, honestly I don’t think I’ve run that path yet. I’ll definitely check that out, and appreciate the response! Even a small glimpse would be nice. I often think about that massive golden tower and wonder just how much we aren’t seeing. Seems there is still an awful lot to discover in that place, and it’s a shame. Orr has so much to offer. I think the artistry of desolation and hopelessness coupled with the hoard of challenging undead repel was too effective. Not a lot of people say “Oooo, let’s go to Orr!” That’s the way it should be as a world, but as a game it’s counter productive.

in Lore

lakdav.3694

I agree. For Roleplayers, character arcs usually go toward Orr one way or another as the place of ultimate challenge and the source of lost historical background of something in their story.

Hopefully someday we will get access to the rest of the orrian peninsula.

in Lore

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Some of those buildings do look like ruined skyscrapers. A lot if the time in Orr it seems like you are climbing around the ruins of buildings made for giants. The temples, monuments, buildings, statues etc in Orr were certainly big.

I imagine it as a cross between Rome and Washington DC.

in Lore

Sulist.2408

I couldn’t agree more. I’ve always enjoyed the post-apoc scene, and Anet really took the time to name the various locations, villages, cityscapes, districts, etc. I often try to imagine what took place in those locations before the sundering. Much like Pompeii or Hiroshima, what were the last days of Orr to its people. I imagine that alone could fill a series of books. I’d settle for a few excerpts though

in Lore

lakdav.3694

If we are lucky and the game survives that long, maybe someday we will get a fractal similar to the urban battle but with Orr. There is literally nothing Anet couldnt put into a fractal.

in Lore

Posted by: Orswich.6423

Orswich.6423

what if they made a fractal path based in “pre-destroyed” orr?

would love to see that

Orswich/Schwabenghast [ING/Ankh] Dragonbrand commander
and sometimes even a decent human being

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

what if they made a fractal path based in “pre-destroyed” orr?

would love to see that

Personally I think the actuality will not live up to players imagination.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

It’s possible that would have been the Abaddon fractal. Still annoyed that they put so many people in the position of having to choose between their preferred candidate and their preferred fractal – regardless of whether that was Kiel/Abaddon or Evon/Thaumanova.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.