The Royal Family of Kryta

in Lore

Posted by: catqeer.1954

catqeer.1954

so is it just the queen or are there other members of the royal family aunts, uncles, cousins… an where are they and why does no one talk about them… I believe Jennah is an only child… but what are the chances she wouldn’t have an extended family.

EDIT: Remember she is the Krytan queen and thus her family is the Krytan Royal Family…

(edited by catqeer.1954)

in Lore

Posted by: MacLeod.4208

MacLeod.4208

My understanding is that Queen Jennah and Commander Samuelsson, Duke of Ebonhawke, are the only known members of the royal family of Ascalon. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t members in hiding or members who are not aware they are members.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Jennah isn’t a member of the Ascalonian royal family.

Jennah does not have any known living family members – her father (possibly named Rodrick as there was a king with such a name 60 years prior to the game) died when she was very young and no other relatives have ever been mentioned. She’s said in the human storyline to be the last heir to the throne too (though the Whispers fella says “maybe not” – possibly an indication of potential illegitimate children of the family line like Salma was), so I’m thinking she’s the sole survivor of her family line at the moment.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

MacLeod.4208

Well, Jennah is a descendent of King Doric, so she is technically part of the Ascalonian royal family as King Adelbern was also a descendent of King Doric.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

To say Jennah is of the same family as the Ascalonian kings is akin to saying I’m from the same family as General Lee from the U.S. Civil War given he’s a cousin to one of my ancestors.

King Doric was the king of Orr, and all modern royalty has him as an ancestor. This could mean either that it was Doric’s own children to took up Kryta, Ascalon, and Orr in the same means that the Khan-Ur’s children made the four legions, or it could mean that Doric’s great-great-great-great grand daughter married into the Krytan royal family five generations into that royal family, while his great-great-great-great grand daughter on the completely other side of his descendants married into the 10th generation of Ascalonian royal family. Which wouldn’t put Krytan royal family related to Ascalon’s royal family except through cousins nth removed or some mumbojumbo.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

MacLeod.4208

Fair enough. I will concede the point. I will however, point out that since she is a descendent of King Doric, she is one of 2 known people to have a claim to the throne of Ascalon.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Except there isn’t really a throne of Ascalon anymore. Merely a separate human settlement.

in Lore

MacLeod.4208

@Narcemus,
In reality, of course, you are correct. But wouldn’t the humans still hold that there is a throne of Ascalon?

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Not since Jennah start the Charr/Human peace negotiations, no. When she recognized the Charr nation, and the land it holds (Ascalon), she basically gave up any of her rights to the throne of Ascalon. If she tries to claim it afterwards, that action will most likely break the treaty, and that will give the Charr the right to go to war to protect their land.

Sure, someone might try to claim it without her approval, but then she would have to cut ties with that person/group. The whole, “That person/group’s actions in no way reflect our thoughts and feelings on the matter. He/she is a rogue element, and all his/her actions happened without my approval”, type of thing. Because anything less with risk breaking the treaty with the Charr, which would most likely lead to war.

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

The charr prepared 1000 years to take back those lands. Any attempt by humanity to reclaim them is definatlly an act of war. And as erukk said, Jenna is the current ruler. There is no law to support human claim to ascalon without arbitrary backing from the queen.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Actually, the peace negotiations do appear to involve the charr ceding land to Ebonhawke. We don’t know how much they’re willing and intending to hand over, but the Ebon Vanguard already has an outpost in southern Blazeridge, and the charr in general haven’t really utlised a lot of the land east of the Dragonbrand – I could see them telling Ebonhawke that they can have as much of the land between the Dragonbrand and the Blazeridge Mountains as they can hold from ogres, grawl, Separatists, Branded and other threats, on the condition that charr that remain there are not interfered with. It’d never be as big as it used to be, but I could see a reborn Ascalon being of comparable size to modern Kryta.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

The question then becomes what happens when Kralky bites the dust and the dragonbrand fades (due to whatever cleansing ritual). For now it’s a smart move for the charr. Put a hostile land between their enemies and themselves, and set up humanity to take the Ogre’s attention so they have another less enemy to deal with consistently.

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

if the charr aren’t utilizing it, i wouldn’t think they claimed it. So there is really nothing for them to cede to ebenhawk. that may be where they’ve decided the boundery is.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

It’s outright stated by NPCs that the area is charr land. They are using it, it’s just that they’ve drawn back due to the peace negotiations – and ogres, humans, and grawl have moved in since.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

idk. Does it say they’ve drawn back?

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

As I recall, the ranchers in the northeast of the Fields of Ruin state that the charr have let them have the land as part of the negotiations. Same, I think, with the settlements west of the main gate and east of the mine gate.

Now, how much they’re willing to give up is the question, but there are four elements that might suggest it’ll be more rather than less. The first is that Smodur is fairly forward-thinking – he probably realises that the best way to get a lasting peace is to give Ebonhawke enough that they feel they’ve won to at least some extent, and giving them enough land that they’re no longer reliant on Kryta would do this. The second is that, as a member of a race that held a grudge for nearly twelve centuries, Smodur doesn’t seem to care much for the past – he may not care about giving away “ancestral Iron Legion land” if it’s land that the Iron Legion isn’t really using. The third is that, well, the Iron Legion isn’t really using much of the land east of the Dragonbrand – from memory, there’s a couple of military camps (that could be made the Ebon Vanguard’s responsibility if handed over, freeing up charr soldiers to be reassigned elsewhere), a fishing village, and not much else. Finally, that strip of land would be difficult to defend from the charr – there’s not a big risk in handing it over when it’d probably be fairly simple to retake the land if the truce breaks down.

Now, of course, that last might be a good reason for Ebonhawke to be suspicious of such generosity – but this suspicion could manifest as having evacuation plans handy rather than outright refusal.

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Sorry about the confusion. I meant that once Kralky is dead and the dragonbrand is removed as a physical landmark what happens when humans and charr start testing the real boundries. And don’t worry, I know quite well what the answer can be.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

idk. Does it say they’ve drawn back?

Yes. The charr drawing back is what’s allowed the ogres to move in in the first place. This is outright stated in southern Fields of Ruin and furthered in southeastern Blazeridge Steppes. They’ve drawn back due to the cease-fire negotiations.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

Even if the Brand is cleansed, it’s still going to be… marked, for want of a better word. A lot of the Brand has been pushed down in elevation compared to the surroundings to make a canyon in some areas, and at least a depression in others. Thus, like a river, it makes for a natural boundary – while one side or the other might break the agreement in the future, it’ll still be pretty clear where the agreed border is. At worst, any disagreement would be over who gets to claim the Dragonbrand itself once it’s cleansed.

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

As I recall, the ranchers in the northeast of the Fields of Ruin state that the charr have let them have the land as part of the negotiations. Same, I think, with the settlements west of the main gate and east of the mine gate.

Now, how much they’re willing to give up is the question, but there are four elements that might suggest it’ll be more rather than less. The first is that Smodur is fairly forward-thinking – he probably realises that the best way to get a lasting peace is to give Ebonhawke enough that they feel they’ve won to at least some extent, and giving them enough land that they’re no longer reliant on Kryta would do this. The second is that, as a member of a race that held a grudge for nearly twelve centuries, Smodur doesn’t seem to care much for the past – he may not care about giving away “ancestral Iron Legion land” if it’s land that the Iron Legion isn’t really using. The third is that, well, the Iron Legion isn’t really using much of the land east of the Dragonbrand – from memory, there’s a couple of military camps (that could be made the Ebon Vanguard’s responsibility if handed over, freeing up charr soldiers to be reassigned elsewhere), a fishing village, and not much else. Finally, that strip of land would be difficult to defend from the charr – there’s not a big risk in handing it over when it’d probably be fairly simple to retake the land if the truce breaks down.

Now, of course, that last might be a good reason for Ebonhawke to be suspicious of such generosity – but this suspicion could manifest as having evacuation plans handy rather than outright refusal.

This makes sense. i think both sides showing a little wisdom in negotiations would be standard. The charr wouldn’t want to give up land that would be a strategic detriment to themselves and the humans would be unreasonably bold to insist that they do.

in Lore

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Considering the history of real-world royal houses, I would presume the extended family is pretty large. A king ain’t a real king without a few out-of-wedlock children.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

Smodur is even working on a treaty with the humans defending the stronghold of Ebonhawke—a place that has long been a thorn in the Iron Legion’s side. As a condition for considering the treaty, the charr require the humans to return an ancient weapon lost during the Foefire: the Claw of the Khan-Ur.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Legions_of_the_Charr

seems all the charr really did is stop continuing to try to take that land, as per the treaty

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Bloodgorge Watch Camp and Sapper’s Delve were both charr camps within Fields of Ruin that were abandoned by said charr when peace negotiations began. Since then, ogres have taken control of those bases. Furthermore, there’s mention by NPCs that the Ebon Vanguard have received “charr metal” and other weaponry as peace offerings for beginning negotiations – which in turn are being used against the ogres. So they’re doing more than simply “stop continuing to try to take that land”

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

Charr metal is inconsequential and a bit nit picky. the issue I’m discussing is if those lands are simply a result of the boundry they were fighting for that the charr have drawn as a result of the treaty or if they have conceded land that they had full controle of as a result of interest in peace. the quote i referenced seems to indicate those lands were the front line of an attack on ebenhawke. or as it was put “a place that has long been a thorn in the Iron Legion’s side”. if that is the case, then that would make them a boundry as the attack has ceased and those forward camps aren’t needed.

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

They’re called charr lands in-game. There’s a huge charr settlement (named Deathblade’s Watch) within those lands alongside at least five lesser charr outposts (two, as mentioned, have been ceded due to the peace talks and taken over by ogres; one is used by the Sentinels and another is lost to the Dragonbrand).

Humans are building beyond the charr fort placements, in land they’re saying is charr land, so the charr are ceding land to humans (or at least ceded two forts and are letting humans onto their land that’s east of the Dragonbrand) due to the peace talks.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

Indeed. If the treaty simply formalised the border at the front line when the ceasefire started, then the only Ebon Vanguard held territory would be that within siege weapon range of the citadel walls. Instead, we see Vanguard in the southern Blazeridge Steppes, working with the charr to push the ogres back.

Considering that the reason for the truce is because the charr are overstretched, I suspect Smodur figures that it’s to the Iron Legion’s benefit for Ebonhawke to claim land that the Iron Legion can no longer spare the troops to hold – as long as the truce holds, any sector that the Ebon Vanguard are keeping secure is a sector that the Iron Legion doesn’t have to worry about being attacked from.

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

hmm. Guess the charr ceded lands.

in Lore

Posted by: catqeer.1954

catqeer.1954

Way to derail a thread guys seriously… <.<… so basically did Salma only have one kid and that kid have just one kid and that kid just one kid… doesn’t seem rather practical if your job is to keep your families rule over others…

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

There could have been disownments and/or deaths in the family. With the White Mantle constantly waging shadow warfare, assassinations aren’t unlikely.

Wasn’t Jennah’s father said to be assassinated?

Dear ANet writers,