in Lore

Posted by: Brom Malochson.9306

Brom Malochson.9306

In the future.

References:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Uncategorized_Fractal
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rata_Sum
wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Jungle_dragon

The maps for the UF and RS are nearly identical. The cube is simply flipped at another angle. Also in the fractal, Dessa curiously leaves the group alone and seems upset.

Furthermore, the Raving Asura boss states these specific words:

Breach! – Meaning Rata Sum has been breached, likely by Mordremoth himself or his minions

Broken! – The stabilizer holding Rata Sum at it’s angle is broken, causing the entire city to flip.

Falling! – The populace of Rata Sum falls from the cube to their death. Since the stabilizer has been broken, there is no artificial gravity to hold the asura in place.

Screaming! – Obvious. One screams when a terror such as this occurs.

Dying! – Splat.

Now, the Asura are very smart. Rata Sum wouldn’t fall easily, especially considering the existence of Mordremoth is known. (Crucible of Eternity green room, Infinite Coil Reactor green zone) How did it get to be like this?

Raving Asura: “All of us! Abandoned! You aren’t real. You can’t be here.”

There is a lot of speculation to be had for this line. The Asuran council abandoned their people? The other races of Tyria turned their backs on the Asura, feeling that they got what they deserved for attempting to dominate Tyria? The Raving Asura is just a lunatic?

Discuss.

Brom Malichson | DB Elementalist | Temple Commander | Knights of Ares [ARES]

The Uncategorized Fractal is Rata Sum

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I get the impression that this is a possible alternate future for Rata Sum. The Raving Asura might be the only one left in Rata Sum, which is why he says that you can’t be there. Because realistically, you can’t. You and your party are travelers from an alternate reality. And everyone else abandoned Rata Sum.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Lore

Posted by: THE DOCTOR.3510

THE DOCTOR.3510

I think it’s Rata Sum, I’m just wondering, what makes you think it was Mordremoth? It could be Inquest, a haywire golem, etc

in Lore

Posted by: Brom Malochson.9306

Brom Malochson.9306

Rata Sum is a very large, very secure city. It’s highly doubtful the Inquest or a haywire golem could produce such destruction in a swift and short timespan. So far, only an awakening dragon has that kind of power. (Zhaitan and the Deep Sea Dragon flooding southern Tyria)

Brom Malichson | DB Elementalist | Temple Commander | Knights of Ares [ARES]

in Lore

Posted by: dunnberry.2964

dunnberry.2964

Why would the inquest want to destroy rata sum when they have a large base there as well as influence within the arcane council? That is also the hub for easily accessible resources/recruits/knowledge there for them to further their purposes. It makes no sense for them to want it destroyed

Borlis Pass
Asuran Engineer (Lost)

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Old topic, repeat thread too but aw well.

I wouldn’t be so sure, Brom. Firstly, the Inquest have a full base in Rata Sum – which isn’t in the corner that the jail we visit in Uncategorized Fractal is. Furthermore, there’s a dialogue between two asura near the bank in Rata Sum where one questions the possibility of a golem uprising, the other says it’s impossible due to some limiter or another, and the first asks “what if someone manages to bypass that limiter” (paraphrased), to which the second responds: “Then either we die or bow down to our new golem overlords.”

So it’d be very much possible for Rata Sum to be destroyed via a golem haywire incident, and we know that the limiter or what-have-you can be bypassed thanks to not only the asura tutorial but an event right outside Rata Sum in Soreen Dra. Both cases caused by the Inquest.

Put two and two together, and Rata Sum can easily be destroyed/wrecked havoc by the Inquest. Moreso easier since they have a position within, and heavy influence on, the Arcane Council.

But as dunnberry said, why would they want to is very questionable.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Scott McGough

Scott McGough

Narrative Lead

We’re not ready to reveal the whole truth about the Uncategorized Fractal yet, but I can tell you that it does not represent a potential future for Rata Sum. All of the other fractals represent discrete sections of the past, recreated. We have the ancient past, more recent past, and mythic/lost to history past, but there are no futures in there.

The similarities between the two maps cited is more a function of asuran architecture having common elements rather than a story-related easter egg. In other words, the maps look similar because they were designed and built by like-minded builders with similar design aesthetics, not because they represent the same place at different points in history.

Hope this helps,

—Scott McG

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Ooooh, interesting. Thanks Scott!

in Lore

Posted by: dunnberry.2964

dunnberry.2964

This raises even more questions, is it the old rata sum that the Asura found when they surfaced? If so what happened and how? Who were the original creators of it? Is it rata sum or possibly rata pten or a city we haven’t been introduced to yet?

Borlis Pass
Asuran Engineer (Lost)

in Lore

Posted by: ExTribble.7108

ExTribble.7108

Could be their first attempt at building Rata Sum in the sky (or some other city). Some key technology failed and bam, one looney asura is all that was left once everyone else died from the accident. Then they scrapped it and rebuilt it properly as what we see now. Could be their collective failure made the asurans quiet about the incident, considering their narcissistic attitudes/culture. This is pure speculation ofc.

“Any lump can hack bad guys to death, but it takes skill
and style to turn them into craters and dust.” -Tonn
Number-crunching for ecto salvages – periodically updated

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Very, very interesting revelation, Scott! So if the Uncategorized Fractal takes place in the past, that suggests that the Asura did indeed once live upon Tyria’s surface, before they moved underground, perhaps after whatever cataclysm caused the first destruction of Rata Sum.

This must have occured a very long time ago, if the Asura were not part of the 6 Elder Races that confronted the Elder Dragons during their last rise.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Could it be from a previous surfacing? Keep in mind that Rata Pten predates the Cataclysm – and in turn predates the asura’s forced surfacing in 1078 AE by over 7 years at least. Given Rata Sum’s original ruins (now in Soren Draa I think), it’s likely that the original Rata Sum and other Tarnished Coast ruins were shared with Rata Pten’s timeframe (as well as the ruins seen in Straits of Devastation near the SE vista in that cave).

Perhaps this is a hint to why those surfaced asura disappeared and all known knowledge of them is lost.

But it’s peculiar to see that each fractal is about Tyria’s past. That means even Snowblind Fractal is of a past event. Which has got me thinking: When Jormag awoke, there was a multi-year (I think 5 years) blizzard occuring. Perhaps the blizzard faced in Snowblind Fractal is a recreation of that?

Also, interesting categories for the Fractals to be determined by. “Mythic History” is clearly Cliffside, but the question for what fits into “Ancient History” could only be determined by what consitutes as “ancient” in regards to history, but I’d guess at least Urban Battleground and Solid Ocean is such. Snowblind and Underground likely constitute as “Recent History.” So where do Uncategorized, Swamp, Volcanic, and Aquatic fall under, I wonder?

Nonetheless, this certainly changes the view on Uncategorized, brings more questions why Dessa freaked out (maybe she witnessed this event itself, though that would put it as happening between ~1230 AE and 1302 AE), and explains why although similar there are noticeable differences in the layout between Uncategorized and Rata Sum.

Very peculiar indeed.

Edit: Reading Zaxares’ post, perhaps this forced them to go into the depths, but I think such a grand event would be denoted in their race’s history nonetheless; currently there’s nothing to suggest that the race as a whole was on the surface prior to 1078 AE, so Rata Pten and co. ruins are atm highly likely to be a mere offshoot/colonization. But the whole race once being above the surface is certainly possible, though if going back far enough then the asura have hardly advanced in technology).

Ah! But wait, there’s those prisoners to consider too, and the harpies. Given that this is a past event, it can’t be in the Maguuma as there are no harpies there. The closest there were are in Kryta but that is, as far as we know, a recent predictament. So the location of the Uncategorized Fractal would suggestively take place further east than the Maguuma Jungle. The presence of the Flame Legion tells us that it was within the past 1,400 years (roughly) for sure, and implies a placement around Ascalon or east of the Blazeridge. The presence of the Bandit and Ettin… that’s harder to consider. Human presence is significant enough to show that the asura had at least captured one, and it uses blackpowder.

And now a line of thought comes to mind: God’s Eye – an asuran experiment of unmentioned origins (as far as I’ve seen at least) crashed in Fireheart Rise. Perhaps related to this event, indicating that the fallen city was either north or east of Ascalon, close enough for this to fall where it did?

This is all considering, however, that the creatures beyond the golems and asura were not random additions by the asura.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

^— It’s possible they added Harpies into the Maguuma despite their absence in GW1. In ‘Sea of Sorrows’ there is a bit where they are talking about the Maguuma and I think Macha mentions there being Harpies there (which struck me as odd)…

in Lore

Posted by: Samhaim.8956

Samhaim.8956

Not sure anyone noticed this yet but we can fight a cat-like golem named Tom inside the Proxemics Lab guild puzzle at the maze part, which i’m pretty sure will turn into Old Tom sometime in the future.

Samhaiim ~ Thief

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I did notice that, and I also thought as you did that Tom was also Old Tom in the Uncategorized Fractal, but Scott’s post above clearly states that the Fractal takes place in the past, so unless someone in recent history found the wreckage of Old Tom, repaired it and placed it in Proxemics Lab, it’s not the same golem.

in Lore

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Do you have something, anything, connecting Mordremoth to this fractal or is that mere fantasy?

Furthermore, Mordremoth could be either DSD, a dead dragon or another dragon entirely. What you claim to be known about Mordremoth is merely speculation. I’m not convinced a line in combat log counts as evidence any more than a variable name “bHiggs_ Boson” in LHC control software proves the Higgs Boson.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Lore

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I like the whole: “Not yet” part of that comment.
That would imply that we WILL get more information about it sometime in the future, right?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Ah! But wait, there’s those prisoners to consider too, and the harpies. Given that this is a past event, it can’t be in the Maguuma as there are no harpies there.

Prisoners can be moved from anywhere really. And ettins also appear underground, not just in Kryta as far as I know. And keep in mind that since harpies can fly, if this place is abandoned, it is not unlikely that they’d simply make this place their new nesting ground. So the harpies could have come from literally anywhere.

And now a line of thought comes to mind: God’s Eye – an asuran experiment of unmentioned origins (as far as I’ve seen at least) crashed in Fireheart Rise. Perhaps related to this event, indicating that the fallen city was either north or east of Ascalon, close enough for this to fall where it did?

This is all considering, however, that the creatures beyond the golems and asura were not random additions by the asura.

That is a very interesting hypothesis Konig. But as far as the creatures go, I would assume that the prisoners are just left over experiments, and the harpies simply moved in.

If this is God’s Eye, then apparently the Asura all evacuated the place except for one, before it crashed down. The dialogue of the raving Asura would then also make sense. But is the crater big enough for such a huge structure as the one we see in the Fractal?

in Lore

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Rata Sum was allegedly created when the Asura came upon this ancient Mursaat seat of power and setting up power generators etc in this location, they built and establish their new home capital.

My take on the Uncategorized Fractal is that, knowing the Asura as “geniuses” with a lot of experimental projects going on, the UF is just a failed attempt at creating Rata Sum. How many Asura projects have you seen gone the way they’re supposed to on the first atttempt?? To me it then seems likely the Uncategorized Fractal was an early attempt to establish the new capital, but the Raving Asura who was maybe the head architect behind this project failed to succeed and the result got twarted into an inaccessible structure that we’re now jumping through. Maybe he got abandoned as his project started to crumble, which could be why he’s gone mad and screams in disbelief when the party eventually beat him.

Hopefully we’ll know the truth someday, this rambling theory is mine at least.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

We’ve had nothing solid that the ruins Rata Sum were built on were of mursaat origin.

There does seem to be a lot in the Uncategorised Fractal that indicates that it’s relatively recent, as opposed to being something that happened in the distant past – the presence of humans, Flame Legion, reasonably modern golem designs, etc, etc.

Here’s a possibility: The asura had access to the Verdant Cascades back in Eye of the North. What if they’d built another city up there and that’s what’s represented in Uncategorised?

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

We’ve had nothing solid that the ruins Rata Sum were built on were of mursaat origin.

Well, it’s kind of in the cards although not documented, but those ruins of an ancient civilisation plus all the naming conspiracies seem to point in the direction it could very well have been the Mursaat, right?

As I said, my previous post is my theory and rests on some assumptions, so it’ll fall if the Asura don’t share a connection with the Mursaat.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

^— It’s possible they added Harpies into the Maguuma despite their absence in GW1. In ‘Sea of Sorrows’ there is a bit where they are talking about the Maguuma and I think Macha mentions there being Harpies there (which struck me as odd)…

What I meant was that there’s no harpies in the Maguuma Jungle during GW2.

I haven’t read all of Sea of Sorrows yet.

Do you have something, anything, connecting Mordremoth to this fractal or is that mere fantasy?

Furthermore, Mordremoth could be either DSD, a dead dragon or another dragon entirely. What you claim to be known about Mordremoth is merely speculation.

Given the fact that the name is tied to an earth attack, it is likely the “jungle dragon” mentioned by Colin in conjunction with the Maguuma Jungle. We know there’s a dragon referred to as the “jungle dragon”, we know the Inquest apparently know of this, using Husks and Nightmare Hounds in ties with it, and we know said Jungle Dragon is related to the Maguuma, and finally we know that the name Mordremoth is used in the same manner as Primordus and Jormag in that situation.

But Mordremoth is most definitely not the DSD, unless what we know of the DSD is false.

Prisoners can be moved from anywhere really. And ettins also appear underground, not just in Kryta as far as I know. And keep in mind that since harpies can fly, if this place is abandoned, it is not unlikely that they’d simply make this place their new nesting ground. So the harpies could have come from literally anywhere.

My mention of the prisoners was more in reference to timeframe than location, though I spent more time on the location possibilities.

A human bandit with blackpowder hints at the last 250 years.

The comment on the harpies was for location, as again, there’s none in the Maguuma during GW2 (nor GW1, so unlikely though not impossible that there were any inbetween, unless they got forced out shortly before invading).

If this is God’s Eye, then apparently the Asura all evacuated the place except for one, before it crashed down. The dialogue of the raving Asura would then also make sense. But is the crater big enough for such a huge structure as the one we see in the Fractal?

I didn’t mean that the place is God’s Eye, but rather God’s Eye originates from this place.

Rata Sum was allegedly created when the Asura came upon this ancient Mursaat seat of power and setting up power generators etc in this location, they built and establish their new home capital.

NOTHING tells us, or even properly hints to us that the ruins of the Tarnished Coast the asura found were of mursaat origin. Let alone their “seat of power.”

Again: NOTHING

Though the possibility of this being a pre-Rata Sum is possible but to me seems… unlikely.

Well, it’s kind of in the cards although not documented, but those ruins of an ancient civilisation plus all the naming conspiracies seem to point in the direction it could very well have been the Mursaat, right?

Actually, not at all.

All we know about the ruins is:

1. They’re of a magical civilization. Age of them utterly unknown!
  2. Orrians were once in the Tarnished Coast too, however the structures don’t match.
  3. Rata Pten predates the Cataclysm, is on the surface, and is confirmed asuran.
  4. Rata Pten, the Tarnished Coast ruins, and the Central Transfer Chamber all share the same design (and same models and textures between the first two in GW2 and the later two in GW1). The first and third are confirmed asuran.

An anagram name becoming “Mursaat” does not mean didly squat. As marnick.4305 said about the name Mordremoth, it doesn’t really amount to anything in canon lore.

Furthermore, we know that the mursaat haven’t been in Tyria for several thousand years until roughly before GW1, and those ruins aren’t that young based on appearances. The sole “all those naming conspiracies” holds 0 merit in the ruins’ origins.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

Two of the possible translations from Latin of “Rata Sum” are “I have calculated” and "I am certain.

It is possible that the Mursaat came from these words as an anagram, and later came the asuran city as the direct version without any kind of connection.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

First, I’d like to rather belatedly thank Scott McGough for taking the time to share his insights with us. It’s always exciting to see a dev post in our little corner of the forums.

That said:

it does not represent a potential future for Rata Sum. All of the other fractals represent discrete sections of the past

He never stated that Uncategorized happened in the past, just that it’s not a future Rata Sum- and seeing as it’s no Rata Sum at all, it could still be in the future.

As for the others, I believe the same interview that told us about the Colossus mentioned that Urban Battleground is an alternate version of the Searing- I’ll have to go listen to it again. Personally, I believe that the Aquatic Ruins represent a sunken and krait infested part of Istan, which would probably be recent. I really like the idea that Snowblind is during Jormag’s initial rampage (and really want to know why the shaman is named Lornarr!), and agree that Underground must be recent. Volcanic and Swampland, though… those two are truly fascinating puzzles. The only place we see grawl and volcanoes together is to the north of Ascalon, so I’d tentatively put that one sometime before GW1, when that area was part of the human kingdom. Or, alternatively, in the Blazeridge Mountains- the name suggests they’re either volcanic or prone to wildfires. Swampland I haven’t seen much of, as I’ve never been in a group that’s managed to complete it, but a norn in a swamp suggests it’s either after Jormag’s rise, in the Woodland Cascades, or belonging to some far-off forgotten time when norn lived in more tropical climes.

EDIT: Found the interview. McGough described the Urban Battleground as a “representation” and “recreation” of the Searing.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

(edited by Aaron Ansari.1604)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

He never stated that Uncategorized happened in the past, just that it’s not a future Rata Sum- and seeing as it’s no Rata Sum at all, it could still be in the future.

That’s a good catch, but you should re-read his post again:

We’re not ready to reveal the whole truth about the Uncategorized Fractal yet, but I can tell you that it does not represent a potential future for Rata Sum. All of the other fractals represent discrete sections of the past, recreated. We have the ancient past, more recent past, and mythic/lost to history past, but there are no futures in there.

Every Fractal is a past, but this one is a past asuran megastructure – city or no.

My first thought was one of the six mega cities on par to Rata Sum in the Depths of Tyria, but that wouldn’t work unless the place rose rather than fell, which counters the insane man’s words.

So the only alternative would be an past now-gone (ancient or otherwise) city or megastructure of asuran making. Perhaps made in the same era as Rata Sum’s new form.

Volcanic and Swampland, though… those two are truly fascinating puzzles. The only place we see grawl and volcanoes together is to the north of Ascalon, so I’d tentatively put that one sometime before GW1, when that area was part of the human kingdom. Or, alternatively, in the Blazeridge Mountains- the name suggests they’re either volcanic or prone to wildfires.

There’s a lot of hints of dealing with destroyers here (that final boss especially, carying a Destroyer Bow just as the Iron March’s Flame Legion Shaman meta has a Destroyer Sword). Being this, I suspect it’s post-GW1.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

Sometimes in-game things just don’t make sense lorewise. Deal with it.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

The “there” that would still be referring to the other fractals. As for the destroyer connection… I really, really don’t like saying it, but you’re probably right that it’s there. That doesn’t mean post-GW1 though. We know dragons at least have the potential to corrupt while slumbering, and Primordus was hibernating under the mountains that make the north-west corner of the human kingdom. I can’t see how the grawl could get human captives to sacrifice if it was post GW1.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I wouldn’t be so certain of that Aaron. It could be seen that way, but that final “there” in the paragraph could simply refer to Fractals of the Mists in general. The mention of other Fractals being distinct historical events doesn’t necessarily mean that Uncategorized isn’t historical – it may merely be that it isn’t a distinct event, or it may still be included.

I wouldn’t put too much effort into dissecting grammar though. Word choice may mean something, but at the same time, it may not.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Although this fractal seems big it is not massively bigger than the Asura laboratories seen around Tyria, such as the one in Fireheart Rise. Those labs are run by one or two scientists and some golems so I don’t see much to suggest that this isn’t at city at all but just another lab. That would allow it to be anywhere, but the inhabitants seem to fit the Ebonhawke area.

Although the fractals seem to use elements from the elder dragons I don’t see there being any direct correspondance. There’s certainly nothing seen of Kralk.

(edited by Stooperdale.3560)

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

@Konig I’m not arguing that Uncategorized is in the future- personally I feel it’s most likely very recent past- just that what McGough has provided us with does not allow us to write off any possibility that it might be in the future.
@Stooperdale It’s actually quite a bit larger than Vexa’s Lab, and that’s just the portions we can reach. Parts of the structure are inaccessible, and there’s another city cube off in the distance. The two complexes together make up something far larger than any asuran lab- or city- we’ve yet seen in the game.

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

It’s awesome how people can argue about how to take a totally obvious statement by a dev.

I doubt they spend days about formulating some sentences to totally include everything you want to know and denying only the false parts, but in a totally unnoticed way. Stop theorycrafting about everything. If something is obvious, swallow it.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Posted by: DelusionsOfGrandeur.9287

DelusionsOfGrandeur.9287

I’m not sure about a lot of what’s been said here, however I think it’s highly likely that the UF is only from within the last 250 years, not only because of the bandit with blackpowder, but also because the design of the golems there is, while not identical, still closer to that of a modern golem (e.g., http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/0/0a/BUY-4373.jpg ) than it is to one of those that the asura used in GW1 (e.g., http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/d/dc/Golem.jpg ).

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The golem isn’t actually good proof, Delusions. If you go to Rata Pten, you may have a chance of one of two events – one being a giant spider, the other being an ancient golem. This ancient golem shares modern designs.

It’s most likely that ArenaNet just didn’t want to fully design new models. I mean, the only new things in the Fractals are the places and nearly everything you face in the Solid Oceanic Fractal (and except for the Jade Maw and its tentacles, that’s just a recoloring to green!), as well as the Imbued Grawl Shaman and colossus.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

I mean, the only new things in the Fractals are the places and nearly everything you face in the Solid Oceanic Fractal (and except for the Jade Maw and its tentacles, that’s just a recoloring to green!), as well as the Imbued Grawl Shaman and colossus.

Sorry in advance if I am misunderstanding you, but the Solid Oceanic Fractal is clearly the Jade Sea. The irukandjis were very present in GW1.

I admit I am skimming this thread so again I apologize if I am being presumptuous.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

You do misunderstand me Gnat, I’m talking about models, not existence in lore.

That is, the golems in Uncategorized Fractal being similar to modern golems doesn’t outright mean that they’re not ancient, simply due to the fact of reused models throughout 85% of Fractals.

Everything in Solid Oceanic Fractal has a fully unique unto that location model/texture, and is the only Fractal that has such. At best there’s only one or two new textures/model, some being utterly without new things.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Ah I see. Thanks for clarification

in Lore

Posted by: Johnny Boi.4980

Johnny Boi.4980

I wonder what the Jade Maw fractal represents then… Perhaps, something to do with (at least vaguely) the mursaat? Due to the whole agony system and infusions? [or it being called Jade in general]

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The Jade Maw is the GW2’s revisioning of the GW1’s krakens, (which back then was just a re-used model of a Phantom – a squidly ghost) present in large numbers in The Jade Sea.

I’m sure all it is, would be a representation of the Jade Sea during the 200 or so years in which it was solid. The mursaat, as far as we’re aware, had nothing to do with Cantha at all. And their jade constructs were not green, but purple – with one latter addition (Jade Cloaks) being the exception.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Johnny Boi.4980

Johnny Boi.4980

I found it interesting while reading the GW wiki page, on Mursaat, how so many things had referred back to the Jade fractal such as the (at-the-time) new condition, Agony (so much like the Mursaat’s ultimate skill, Spectral Agony), ascended items, basically referring to the Mursaat – Infusing, like in GW1 to be used against spectral agony – And lastly, the Jade contructs they built. All within one update..

in Lore

FlamingFoxx.1305

I found it interesting while reading the GW wiki page, on Mursaat, how so many things had referred back to the Jade fractal such as the (at-the-time) new condition, Agony (so much like the Mursaat’s ultimate skill, Spectral Agony), ascended items, basically referring to the Mursaat – Infusing, like in GW1 to be used against spectral agony – And lastly, the Jade contructs they built. All within one update..

There is no connection.
The Jade Constructs were Purple/Red like all other Mursaat constructs. They didn’t have anything to do with the Jade Sea, which was a product of the Jade Wind, other than both using the word ‘Jade’.
Agony is a mechanic and the condition is inflicted by all bosses in high level Fractals – other than it’s name and function there is nothing to suggest that lore-wise it is the same as the Mursaat’s Spectral Agony ability. Agony is extreme physical (or mental) suffering, Spectral Agony is sort of implied to be something worse. (In GW1 there was a Ritualist skill called Agony which of course also had nothing to do with the Mursaat, it’s just an noun :P
Ascended gear also doesn’t refer to the Mursaat at all. Ascension in GW1 was to do with attaining the blessing of the Gods, in GW2 it is just a word used to communicate an increased defensive property of the gear. Infusion was also specific to Spectral Agony, there is nothing to indicate that Agony Resistance in GW2 would protect us from Spectral Agony (of course there is also nothing to indicate that it wouldn’t either, but that isn’t the point).

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

The only link I can think of, is the Phantom enemies that seem to contain the essence needed to make infusion possible.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ice_Beast
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Eidolon

Those beasts remind me a bit of the Jade Maw… but it’s a big stretch. And keep in mind that those phantoms don’t actually deal Agony themselves. So I don’t think there is a real link here.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The only link between those beasts and the Jade Maw is that the Jade Maw is a kraken (outright stated by Anet in update notes) and the Eidolons/Ice Beast/Phantoms use the same model as krakens in GW1.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: inazuma.7021

inazuma.7021

Rata Sum is an anagram for Mursaat. Just sayin’.

Vhaewyn – Level 80 Sylvari Ranger
Dakka Warforge- Level 80 Charr Engineer
Xairro – Level 80 Asura Revenant

in Lore

FlamingFoxx.1305

Rata Sum is an anagram for Mursaat. Just sayin’.

Which is more likely to be a nod by the devs or a nod to the fact that their names both have the same latin roots… Rata Sum follows Asuran naming conventions so it’s not likely they came to the surface and saw the word Mursaat and went ‘OMG lets make an anagram and use it as our city name because we’re so intelligent we like puzzles typically found in Bookah newspapers!!!!!!! LOL’

in Lore

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

All of the other fractals represent discrete sections of the past, recreated. We have the ancient past, more recent past, and mythic/lost to history past, but there are no futures in there.

Well if that ain’t a classic case of players making up a more interesting explanation than the writers.

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

There is one thing I’m wondering about, and I’m not sure it’s just a random quote, or if there is some deeper hidden meaning to it.

When you arrive at the Categorized Fractal, Dessa says:
“You’ve landed….I…Need to go. I’m sorry.”

Why does Dessa say this? Could she perhaps have been involved with what happened in this Fractal? Does she perhaps know the crazed Asura personally?

in Lore

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

There is one thing I’m wondering about, and I’m not sure it’s just a random quote, or if there is some deeper hidden meaning to it.

When you arrive at the Categorized Fractal, Dessa says:
“You’ve landed….I…Need to go. I’m sorry.”

Why does Dessa say this? Could she perhaps have been involved with what happened in this Fractal? Does she perhaps know the crazed Asura personally?

That’s what no one is really sure about. The speculation (among most people) is that the similarities between the fractal & Rata Sum along with some bit of Asuran history we’re not aware of yet caused this reaction in Dessa.

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Another popular theory is that the mad asura in the dungeon is a former krewe member of Dessa that she abandoned, and that the fractal is a former lab or something that failed.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

Not sure if this was mentioned, but a guild jumping puzzle, the Proxemics Lab in Brisban Wildlands, has a cat golem like the ones in the fractal. Dunno if that helps at all v.v

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Another popular theory is that the mad asura in the dungeon is a former krewe member of Dessa that she abandoned, and that the fractal is a former lab or something that failed.

To me it did come across that way, yes. Combine this with the raving Asura yelling out how they’re all abandoned, it makes you wonder if Dessa is one of those that abandoned him.