The eyes of priest(esse)s of Kormir...

in Lore

Posted by: Snack.9315

Snack.9315

Do they just cover them to imitate her, or do they actually gouge their own eyes out? Just curious.

“Retired” characters: Fruit Salad (Warrior), Blingerton (Engineer), Shixard (Ranger).
Current characters: Mistress Viridi (Elementalist), Pigeon Opener (Engineer).
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2770-3378. Mail me in-game if you add me!

in Lore

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

its probably symbolic a bit like the ritualist head shade

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

in Lore

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

Most likely just cover it. GW2 is too shiny and full of rainbows to make your second version happen anyways (not like I want it to happen at all).

Probably symbolizes that “truth is blind” – just like Kormir, goddess of truth.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Getefix.9150

well we all know that deep down nothing is true, everything is permitted

in Lore

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

Well if all priests and priestesses of kormir would gouge their eyes out… that would be actually pretty cool and give that God thing a new level of seriousness.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

its probably symbolic a bit like the ritualist head shade

The ritualist blindfold wasn’t symbolic.

Some ritualists were actually blind – apparently done so that they can see spiritual power lines or some such.

Well if all priests and priestesses of kormir would gouge their eyes out… that would be actually pretty cool and give that God thing a new level of seriousness.

It would be, but I don’t see why they would. Some fanatical followers of Kormir who want to mirror their goddess as much as possible probably would, but it’s not particularly logical to do so.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

it’s been a while since i’ve played Nightfall, but somehow i don’t see (pun intended) Kormir approving of such a practice, not that her followers/priesthood would necessarily know that

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

in Lore

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

It would be, but I don’t see why they would. Some fanatical followers of Kormir who want to mirror their goddess as much as possible probably would, but it’s not particularly logical to do so.

Was belief ever logical?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Let me rephrase:

Practical.

(Side note: yes, there are logical beliefs).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Getefix.9150

logical belief, apparently, (dont hold me accountable for this, i heard it off a friend) the belief of not eating pork for some religions is due to the fact that pork spoiled really quickly in those countries (before fridges) so were told it best to avoid it, this then got taken into religion over time

in Lore

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

logical belief, apparently, (dont hold me accountable for this, i heard it off a friend) the belief of not eating pork for some religions is due to the fact that pork spoiled really quickly in those countries (before fridges) so were told it best to avoid it, this then got taken into religion over time

Yes, it became a tradition born out of practicality. Some peoples even based their rituals upon such traditions.

Ha!

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

When they remove their blindfolds, rainbow unicorns shoot from their eyes.

in Lore

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I’ve never heard of a religion with that, though I guess it’s a detailed point from the thread topic .-.

I ? Karkas.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Most middle eastern cultures saw pigs and the meat from them as unclean. That ranges from the Muslim to the Jewish cultures. That is a theory on why it became such a big part of their cultures.

But, to derail the topic further, one could go to the extent of claiming that things such as the Big Bang Theory and Evolution are “logical beliefs”. I say this only because these things are merely theories with some scientific backing, but there are still enough issues with these theories to require a person to just believe.

On Topic, well I’ve said my point. I do not believe that it is necessary for them to physically blind themselves. I would say that it is more likely that wearing the headbands are symbolically blinding themselves to represent their goddess.

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

Gravity is still a theory too by the way…

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Last I knew it was the Law of Gravity, although that was over 7 years ago and Pluto was still a planet :P

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

Well there’s both. :/

Newton’s Gravitational Law simply said that objects attract each other.

Why gravity works this way is still a theory. Einstein probably did the best job explaining it with Relativity, but there’s still no scientific method to prove how gravity works at a fundamental level.

The same might be said for Evolution, harder for the Big Bang. Sometimes truth can’t be absolute, and you have make an educated “leap” based on the evidence in front of you. It’s funny how scientific theory is so similar to faith in this regard. :P

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

(edited by Obsidian.1328)

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Which is my point on Logical Belief. Belief does not just exist in religious scenarios. I mean every time I come to a green light I believe that the cars going perpendicular to me are going to stop at a red light. It is logical because of the fact that in all my my years of driving probably about 95% of the people do that. Logical belief exists in many facets, and that is why it is not a joke, as the poster seemed to point out. I merely brought up science based on the fact that many people take scientific theory to the extreme of thinking that it is Law just because of how long it has been around, and how many indicators point in that direction, but this is not how science works. Science works in a constant field of relativism where at any point your results could point to a theory being false, in which case you have to hypothesize why and create more studies.

/Thread Derailed

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

Eh…it’s really not that ambivalent.

Scientific laws rarely change. True, those laws have the potential to be proven invalid in the future. But it’s rather essential to take those laws as fact if you’re going to be doing any experimenting…or any kind of scientific endeavor really. Like most things, science needs some sort of consensual foundation to build upon. When I say consensual I mean an agreed upon premise, not just something you yourself think.

Theories, on the other hand, do, and often, change. Which is why I brought up gravity. We know that it does work, just not why it does, completely. That’s what makes it theoretical, it’s still an unknown.

/Thread Derailed is a good thing sometimes

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

(edited by Obsidian.1328)

in Lore

Getefix.9150

to get this thread back on topic, if the priests and priestesses of kormir are willing to gouge out their eyes, they’d be wwilling to steal anything and claim it in the name of their god
Kormir: goddess of thieves

in Lore

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Not sure about them gouging out their own eyes, seeing how Kormir becoming blind was not her choice but a prefered thing of Abaddon and his followers/demons. Basing a ritualistic self-mutilation on the not self inflicted suffering of a prophet or saint is just crazy, but absolutely not unheard of. Flagellants did those sort of things all the time, but by today’s standards it would be considered rather fanatical. Dont think GW2 would go to such lengths.

If i would have to guess, i would say there could be some kind of a ritual involving magical blinding lights labeled “Kormir’s Truth” or something like that. Nothing as bloody as cutting out the actual eyeballs, but something more clean, symbolic, and pretentiously holy.