The fate of Maguuma's dinosaurs

in Lore

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

When I first got to explore Sparkfly fen, I was expecting more of the epic dinosaur fights seen there in EotN. I was somewhat disappointed then that apart from a few raptors the entire area is deserted of large reptilian megafauna.
What happened to all the Angoradons, Ceratadons, Ferothrax and Tyrannus that used to live here? If they died out then how come none of them have become risen?
A risen Tyrannus boss would have been much more exciting than just another champion risen shark, which we see in several other maps.

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

I was wondering about that too, only the raptors are left. I can only imagine that they were driven out or hunted to extinction by the Asura. I would prefer the first one, so they could show up in the maguuma jungel again.
I hope we get to see some again, so I can sing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il85E-ms-44 (could be considered NSFW)

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Migration is always a possibility. If the Asura and Sylvari start filling an area up, perhaps the civilization growth pushed them out or perhaps they just decided that it was too dangerous to live where there are people ready to kill them. I would expect it’s highly possible that they moved into areas such as the rest of the tarnished coast near where the falls used to be. Areas like that are very likely to be less densly populated, and remember there is also a decent sized swath of land just west of the Maguuma that’s possibly available for future expansions.

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I was also kind of sad that the other dinosaurs all seem to have died out, but then I remember the horrors of trying to fight 5 Angorodons or being zomgpwned by a 900-damage Power Attack from Mobrin, and I decide that’s probably for the best. :P

in Lore

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

Charr at them. True story.

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

According to the lore players the charr ate everything that has died off between the games, lol.

in Lore

Posted by: sAdam.5876

sAdam.5876

So that is what happened with Margoyls :P

in Lore

BuddhaKeks.4857

According to the lore players the charr ate everything that has died off between the games, lol.

Yeah, you know some person made this joke and now everyone wants to do it, trying their hardest to make it into a running gag. Just ignore it, eventually it will go away, when people realize that it stopped being funny after the first time.

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

To the Maguuma Wastes!
No seriously though. Nightfall had plenty of Dino’s running around in the desert, so I think perhaps Tyria’s Dino’s may have moved to the Magguma Wastes after their territory was invaded by a gigantic tree and tiny scary things with an affinity for experimentation.

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Nightfall dino’s? Huh?

Closest thing I can think of, when it comes to dino’s anywhere near Nightfall would be Hydra’s in the Crystal Desert…

I do agree though, they probably moved out further west and/or north

in Lore

Posted by: endeavor.7530

endeavor.7530

Chart eat everything.

Server: Fort Aspenwood
Main: Endeavorr

in Lore

FlamingFoxx.1305

Nightfall dino’s? Huh?

Closest thing I can think of, when it comes to dino’s anywhere near Nightfall would be Hydra’s in the Crystal Desert…

I do agree though, they probably moved out further west and/or north

Technically they’re considered Beasts by the game.
But I mean seriously, how can you not look at a Rinkhal Monitor, Rampaging Ntouka, any of the 3 types of Cobalts or the Behemonths (both Gravebane and Scytheclaw) and not scream DINOSAUR!

Also, the behemoths that were once found in the Maguuma are also suspiciously absent, as is a vast array of other Maguuma wildlife. -sigh-

(edited by FlamingFoxx.1305)

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Also, the behemoths that were once found in the Maguuma are also suspiciously absent, as is a vast array of other Maguuma wildlife. -sigh-

You can actually find a Ghostly Root Behemoth in the Aurora Ruins in the SW corner of Brisban Wildlands. However, it looks exactly like a Jungle Wurm.

in Lore

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

I’m Also rather annoyed that Ogres, and even an Asura npc get to have raptors for pets, but my ranger doesn’t. I’d have rather had a raptor following me than a frikking Moa bird. There isn’t even a raptor mini this time round.

in Lore

Posted by: MatthewCam.4391

MatthewCam.4391

Dinosaurs? Dinosaurs?

I really regret missing out on the first Guild Wars. I love dinosaurs. They’re like huge lizards that make funny squawky noises with tiny little arms and I just want to cuddle them and love them and put them in little bonnets… uhhh, should probably sleep soon.

Sea of Sorrows | Lt Mc Muffin
Don’t worry the games still in Beta.

in Lore

Posted by: Avatar Rage.4369

Raptors ate them, it is how they spread far and wide. Bless em the little dickens.

in Lore

BuddhaKeks.4857

Dinosaurs? Dinosaurs?

I really regret missing out on the first Guild Wars. I love dinosaurs. They’re like huge lizards that make funny squawky noises with tiny little arms and I just want to cuddle them and love them and put them in little bonnets… uhhh, should probably sleep soon.

You know there is a difference between actual dinosaurs and Barney.

in Lore

Posted by: BerriosC.7295

BerriosC.7295

They really need to bring back dinosaurs, and not those weird mutations from Eye of the North. Legit dinosaurs. Tyrannosaurus, Spinosaurus, Triceratops, Brontosaurus, Stegosaurus, Ankylosaurus. There are thousands upon thousands of dinosaurs to choose from. And they should make small versions for Animal Companions. I would LOVE to have a Spinosaurus or Triceratops as an Animal Companion. It would be AMAZING.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Personally, I preferred having fantasy dinosaurs to real life ones. It allowed them to not be weird in a game where 7 out of 10 professions cast some sort of spells, and it avoided looking laughably out of date when we inevitably overhaul our understanding of what they actually looked like five or ten years down the road. Since they went that way in the first game, it’d be a jarring disconnect for them to suddenly jump to realism now. Cool for cool’s sake doesn’t stand very well on its own. (See Living Season 1 and our response to it here.)

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Dinosaurs? Dinosaurs?

Bruh you don’t know hatred like this.

Attachments:

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Since this topic was revived:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4BtaBOCMAAaVx3.jpg:large

ARENANET HAS HEARD YOUR PLEA. DINOSAURS COME EPISODE 8.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

BerriosC.7295

Since this topic was revived:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4BtaBOCMAAaVx3.jpg:large

ARENANET HAS HEARD YOUR PLEA. DINOSAURS COME EPISODE 8.

That doesn’t look like a dinosaur. At least, not a real one. I really wish Anet wouldn’t mutate their dinosaurs. I understand that Tyria isn’t same the world, and creatures are going to have differences that their real life counterparts, but is it really necessary for them to look like mutants? That said, I am very happy that they are bringing back the dinosaurs. It was one of my favorite things about Eye of the North. Just wish they would let us have dinosaurs as Animal Companions.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

None of GW1’s dinosaurs looked like “real” dinosaurs sans the raptors (for what passes as our knowledge of dinosaurs). Compared to GW1’s ‘dinosaurs’ then yeah, that image does look like such – particularly the angorodon.

Perhaps if players did not name them dinosaurs (I’m fairly sure that Anet never officially used the word), but instead called them, idk, “large reptilian monsters” you’d feel less insulted over the so-called ‘mutant dinosaurs’?

That said, I doubt they’d be animal companions – aka pets – given that all pets are super weak as hostile enemies (don’t even have all of their abilities for when they’re pets…). I think drake’s the closest you’ll be getting…

Because if we get dinopets, I want a freakin griffon and skale/skelk pet for my ranger.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

FlamingFoxx.1305

None of GW1’s dinosaurs looked like “real” dinosaurs sans the raptors (for what passes as our knowledge of dinosaurs). Compared to GW1’s ‘dinosaurs’ then yeah, that image does look like such – particularly the angorodon.

Perhaps if players did not name them dinosaurs (I’m fairly sure that Anet never officially used the word), but instead called them, idk, “large reptilian monsters” you’d feel less insulted over the so-called ‘mutant dinosaurs’?

Nicholas the Traveler directly calls them “dinosaurs”, and they dropped Saurian Bones. Sooo, pretty sure they’re dinosaurs. I don’t think there’s any issue with them not being completely true to real world dinosaurs though anyway (I’m sure it’s the same for you). There are very few things that GW2 gets right. The Moa in GW1 and 2, for example, don’t look very close to what real world Moa looked like (real life Moa were usually taller, a dull brown, had longer necks and thicker bodies, etc.) – and yet you don’t see people complaining.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I stand corrected then. :P

But yeah, I don’t think that we need to see spinosauruses and whatnot in GW2. If anything, that’d really ruin the feel for me, personally. When dinosaurs by themselves are so varied in appearance, I see no reason to have them look different than those we think we know the appearance of in rl.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

BerriosC.7295

Personally, the game would get a hundred times better if they added some of the more famous and iconic dinosaurs. At the very least, they should bring back the Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops.

in Lore

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Because if we get dinopets, I want a freakin griffon and skale/skelk pet for my ranger.

I’d reroll my main to Ranger, and suffer through the NPE if I could have a Skelk as a pet with a stealth skill.

in Lore

BerriosC.7295

I find many of the choices pertaining to Animal Companions to be very bad choices. Like having 4 pigs. What is the reason for having 4 pigs when we could have a Raptor?

in Lore

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

I find many of the choices pertaining to Animal Companions to be very bad choices. Like having 4 pigs. What is the reason for having 4 pigs when we could have a Raptor?

If Oink was a pet option, every ranger would have a pig pet.

in Lore

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Oink from GW1? There were Warthogs you could get, but never really noticed Rangers using pigs other than for laughs or to be different. 99% of the ones I knew, and most who I pugged with for dailies had Black Widow/Moa.

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Oink was too OP to be brought to gw2. Because what would be the point of creating the Pact when Oink could facetank all the Elder Dragons at once?

in Lore

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

Oink from GW1? There were Warthogs you could get, but never really noticed Rangers using pigs other than for laughs or to be different. 99% of the ones I knew, and most who I pugged with for dailies had Black Widow/Moa.

I used my Rainbow Phoenix just to show off. Isn’t that what ranger pets are for anyway?

in Lore

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

Dinosaurs? Dinosaurs?

Mobrin Lord of the Marsh wants to say hi! Go give him a big ol hug http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mobrin,_Lord_of_the_Marsh

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Lore

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

Dinosaurs? Dinosaurs?

GW1 still exists, you know.

It doesn’t even look that bad. Just do a quick campaign playthrough. It’s quite doable with henchmen/heroes.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Regarding dinosaurs and (pre)historical accuracy:

They’re dinosaurs in the same way that charr are mammals. They may not be scientifically recognised Earth species, but they would certainly be members of the Dinosauria clade if they were. (Drakes are schizophrenic: they had a dinosaurian stance in GW1 – even the more crocodilian Elonian drakes – while in GW2 they have a crocodilian semi-splayed stance.)

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.