The look of mordremoth.

The look of mordremoth.

in Lore

Posted by: Ouimette.5902

Ouimette.5902

The topic pretty much sais it all

With the threads all around the web about the conclusion of season 1 of living story a dragon at this point seems somewhat inevitable(but still not confirmed). Whether it might be Primordus or Mordremoth is not of importance. I’d really like to see what people think this mysterious jungle dragon might look like even if it won’t show up in game soon or in 1 year or even at all.

The thing is that people is refering it to the jungle dragon since it is related to the sylvari and since the sylvari is made out of organic materials similar to plants it is only logical to call it a jungle dragon.

But if we would take a look at the map of Tyria right now in it’s current date the maguuma jungle is pretty ’’green’’. But only where it is explorable. Everything west of that looks pretty desolate(I should note that I did not play the first Guild Wars). And I assume that the desolate area west of the explorable zone is the area Mordremoth is resident.

[MAP GW2]
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/1/1b/Tyria_unexplored_map.jpg
[MAP GW]
http://vnmedia.ign.com/gwvault.ign.com/dropbox/Cartography/WorldMapTyria.jpg

So my point is, could it be possible that Mordremoth would look like a rock/jungle dragon?
Something in style like a mixture between these two.

[Jungle concept]
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Dragon_15_concept_art.jpg
[Rock concept]
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Dragon_07_concept_art_(Rock_Dragon).jpg

Or is a more jungle/grass looking dragon more prefered amongst all of you?
For me it would just make more sense to make Mordremoth more of a ground dragon since the habitat it might live in is as I earlier mentioned, desolate. Primordus is a rock/lava dragon, zhaitan is a corpse/undead dragon, Fang of the Serpent and Claw of Jormag hints towards a pretty snowy/icy looking dragon. It’s a bit different with Kralkatorrik, it created the branded landscape and afaik I don’t believe there exists a crystal/branded area in Tyria. Bubbles/water dragon only have one concept so I won’t go into that.

So in the end nothing indicates that Mordremoth needs to be a fully looking jungle dragon, but then again, nothing indicates the opposite either. However, most of the dragons have a look that links them to the area they are resident at.

The look of mordremoth.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

The thing is that people is refering it to the jungle dragon since it is related to the sylvari and since the sylvari is made out of organic materials similar to plants it is only logical to call it a jungle dragon.

Wrong. It is referred to as the jungle dragon because Colin Johanson called it such . The theories of it being tied to the sylvari stem from the Crucible of Eternity dungeon, in which name the title of an Elder Dragon tied to it would be Mordremoth – since that “sector” of research is plant-tied (to things tied to the Nightmare Court), people argue that “Nightmare/Sylvari is Mordremoth’s corruption; Mordremoth’s corruption is plant therefore Mordremoth is the Jungle Dragon”. A fallible argument as Colin called it the Jungle Dragon because of its location (or rather, the location of its influence): the Maguuma Jungle.

So my point is, could it be possible that Mordremoth would look like a rock/jungle dragon?
Something in style like a mixture between these two.

[Jungle concept]
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Dragon_15_concept_art.jpg
[Rock concept]
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Dragon_07_concept_art_(Rock_Dragon).jpg

The former is 2007 concept art of a plant-based dragon (i.e., most likely to be early concept art for Mordremoth aka Jungle Dragon). The latter is concept art for a champion of Kralkatorrik, I believe.

Or is a more jungle/grass looking dragon more prefered amongst all of you?

Would Jormag be made out of Ice?
Is Primordus made of fire?
Is the deep sea dragon made of water?
Is Kralkatorrik made of crystal?

The answer to this, is no.

While Zhaitan had a rotten appearance, Kralkatorrik’s flesh is seen as is Primordus – and they are very much not elements (though Primordus seems encased in rock due to hibernation). This seems to be a common (mis)conception of players, that the Elder Dragons must be made out of the element their minions take. But the concept art of the Elder Dragons which encorporate elements is more of the vegetation and whatnot grown on top of the Elder Dragon, not being part of.

[…] Fang of the Serpent and Claw of Jormag hints towards a pretty snowy/icy looking dragon.

Utilizing champions to presume the appearance of the Elder Dragon is very fallicious.

This looks nothing like this.

And the tooth doesn’t really show an icy appearance, but rather hints that Jormag’s body may (super)naturally give off a whitish-blue mist.

However, most of the dragons have a look that links them to the area they are resident at.

I would disagree. Zhaitan had a decayed appearance because of the Pact’s actions to weaken him (removing his corruption, starving him, etc. – source ); Kralkaotrrik, as I pointed out, lacks anything to his skin – even though his blood crystallizes – that indicates him being crystalline or even looking like the Blood Legion Homelands (where he hibernated); and Primordus was encased in stone, so we don’t really know what his body looks like, but this is likely more a case of his environment encasing him than his powers or element affecting the element – and even then, we have no indication of what his skin texture would look like without that encasement.

So I would not say that their environment affects their body’s appearance. No more than what has grown or settled on top of the sleeping dragons.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

The look of mordremoth.

in Lore

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

The closest bet for Mordy would be this image considering it most matches the dragon painting in Scarlet’s lair (multiple tails, spiky, swirl patterns on head etc.)

The look of mordremoth.

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

The only Elder Dragons we have as an example right now, are Zhaitan and Primordus. Zhaitan looks very different from his minions, and rather terrifying. I would expect no less from Mordremoth. Then again, Primordus looks rather run of the mill compared to Zhaitan, and again nothing like his minions, or his champion.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

The look of mordremoth.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

@Kalarchis: However, that is also one of the 2007 confirmed-to-not-be-used dragon concepts by Kekai, so even that will end up being nothing like the final version of Mordremoth – it’d be like comparing the original design of Zhaitan to its current form.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

The look of mordremoth.

in Lore

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

Huh, didn’t know that. Odd considering it looks so similar to the painting. I wonder how closely the painting actually resembles the dragon it’s supposed to represent, if it resembles it at all.

The look of mordremoth.

in Lore

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Why do people automatically assume all plants are connected?

Do you assume that all animals (Humans, Char, Centaurs, Skrit etc) are all linked in some way?

Are the Glendarin fields (you know, like the grass) also servants of the “Jungle” dragon?? How about Vanilla beans? Should we expect to see vanilla bean minions at some point in the future?

The look of mordremoth.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Are you talking about the alleged Mordremoth-sylvari connection? Because that really has nothing to do with “they’re both plants”, especially given we don’t know if Mordremoth even is a plant.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

The look of mordremoth.

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

He probably isn’t a plant. Just like Primordus isn’t actually fire, Kralkatorrik isn’t a literal sandstorm, and Zhaitan isn’t a zombie.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

The look of mordremoth.

in Lore

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

^ Right. Maybe I’m wrong but I think from what we’ve been able to read, that the Dragons have certain spheres of influence. The Colin Jo insight leads us to believe that the Jungle Dragon is/will be active in Maguuma. No doubt ‘jungle dragon’ will likely have some influence over the corruptible plant life in the Jungle.

Hopefully we can see some aloes and stalkers again (GW1 fans). However, I don’t think Mordremoth is a plant. To reduce an Elder Dragon to ‘plant status’ would be a huge cut in power.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

The look of mordremoth.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I don’t think anyone’s really questioning the nature of Mordremoth’s minions. More of the aspects of his own appearance.

Dear ANet writers,