Theorycrafting on Scarlet

in Lore

Posted by: pzyonix.1645

pzyonix.1645

antigen, I meant antitoxin there…
But to go further on antigens on itself, more specifically ‘non-self’ antigens. The tower, or the Hybrid (being a ‘fruit’ from it) may have developed a certain amount of resistance vs the antitoxin before we inject the final blow. And those can be extracted. Toxin, Antitoxin, Antigen… The ingrediënts for either immunologic and viralogic experiments. Come to think of it… translate those into weaponry and your hallucinogenic bomb is very plausible. But for the grand finale I would expect a mix of what we have seen before, but on steroids and possibly returning us where we first met Scarlet, The Queen’s Jubilee instance which has been off limits for a long time now. I will back up this potential hideout by the fact that the tower was veiled with powerful mesmer magic and the only one I see capable of doing this is our Queen Jennah herself. Conspiracy theory incoming: Let the biggest villain hide right under the nose of who we are to believe she tried to kill. Hell I wouldn’t be surprised if Lady Kasmeer is in fact Jennah Incognito. I can’t remember seeing them in the same room together. (and then again we got mesmer illusions)

Random plots start popping in my head now XD I better stop here.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Still, what the player makes is not an anti-toxin. Marjory made an anti-toxin and Scarlet did not (to all our knowledge) obtain such.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Still, what the player makes is not an anti-toxin. Marjory made an anti-toxin and Scarlet did not (to all our knowledge) obtain such.

To me, the puzzle indicates that Scarlet wanted us to destroy the tower. Why would she want us to destroy the tower. Obviously she had no use for it anymore and wanted the tower removed so the krait would not benefit anymore. I would think that the krait would be rather angry at scarlet right now.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

To me it is more of “she doesn’t care” rather than “she wanted us to do that” – her personality is that of not caring, of indifference. Just read through the “What Scarlet Saw” short story and that’s shown plain as day – anytime she was attacked she just left without a care in the world.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

DarcShriek.5829

To me it is more of “she doesn’t care” rather than “she wanted us to do that” – her personality is that of not caring, of indifference. Just read through the “What Scarlet Saw” short story and that’s shown plain as day – anytime she was attacked she just left without a care in the world.

The problem with the “she didn’t care” theory is that she took time to make the puzzles. They were left deliberately. That’s an indication of some amount of care.

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

These “puzzles” were simple security messures for her stuff.

You could only access the key, if you can think like Scarlet.

These puzzles are for everyone and not for us exclusive. It was basicly her version of a passwort-system.
You know, look at the picture, figure out what is wrong with it, pull your ear, sing a song and then you can enter.

in Lore

Posted by: pzyonix.1645

pzyonix.1645

Her do-not-care stance doesn’t really fit with the other things she does. She takes care of making it hard for us to twart her plans. The do-not-care attitude she shows after defeat hints towards her having pre-knowledge.

I think she wanted us to kill the tower, to let others (us and marjory) do the dirty work for her, let us think the Aetherblade base and the Molten Facility were primary bases of operation, etc etc etc.

She keeps us busy, and even IRL, players are getting frustrated by her, which I like to think is exactly her intent. Frustrated people make mistakes and grow blind for change and are easier to manipulate.

in Lore

Jaken.6801

She actually does not make anything hard.
She only causes the groups to form to get what she wants and then let them do whatever THEY want.
Even though she can use their assets at any given time, she herself did never stop us.

The only active thing she did was busting the Queens Speech aka Clockwork Chaos, and then taunting us in a boring way.

In everything else she just made it happen:
- Molten Alliance —> She did not appear or anything. We dealt with the effects of the alliance.

- Aetherblades —> She might have order them to kill the councelor, but we have no proof. We only know that she is connected to them and might have brought them together. However at the end Mai Tin only says that Scarlet will be angry. However, we are never told why. It could be the failed assassination or simply that the base was raided.
Again, Scarlet did nothing. It was only the group.

Clockworks —> Only active part of Scarlet

Twilight Arbor —> She has a base there, why would there be no security? Oh and some personal stuff with Caith.

Toxic Alliance —> Everything stopping us was the alliance who wanted to protect their creation.
As we approach Scarlet she just walks away, basicly saying: “i got what i wanted, have fun cleaning up behind me.”

I do not really think that she is keeping us busy. It is just that everything she pursues is somehow creating a mess and we run after her and clean up.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

@DarcShriek: The “puzzle” was just her laboratory and forge. I doubt she intentionally made it for us to figure something out – more that we figured something out from what she left behind (as Marjory said “she’s getting sloppy” (i.e., we were faster in getting to her than she thought we’d be).

I don’t see why she’d want us to kill the tower. That makes no sense – and I know she’s crazy and insane and all that but nonetheless she wouldn’t intentionally hamper her own plans.

Now, if her plans included the destruction of the alliance she forms… that’s another matter. But if so, why leave such a task to those trying to stop her (even before we knew of her with the Molten Alliance).

@pzyonix: What has she done to “take care it’s hard for us”? Beyond throwing minions at us which is just a stall tactic at best and an idiot’s plot at worst. The only thing she did to make things hard(er) for us specifically in thwarting her plans is the veil. But take in mind what I said: she doesn’t care after she gets what she wants and she stated as she left before we fought the Hybrid that she got what she wanted.

In other words, what she wanted was NOT for us to get into her lab and destroy the tower – she just didn’t care about the tower at that point because she had what she wanted from it.

And players being frustrated by her is hardly due to her actions – it’s due to her delivery, which wouldn’t be any in-character thought process for her (and would be breaking the 4th wall which ArenaNet never does outside of tutorials).

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“I don’t see why she’d want us to kill the tower. That makes no sense – and I know she’s crazy and insane and all that but nonetheless she wouldn’t intentionally hamper her own plans.”

It might make sense for her to walk away from toxic alliance now without giving the Krait anything else, and without taking the blame, so the the destruction of the tower might fit that. My bet is that she’ll have the toxic alliance under her command for a bit longer though just because she’s a nemesis.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

There’s a conversation with a quaggan in Fort Salma where the quaggan asks how Scarlet could have done this (namely, being involved in raising the Tower and hurting so many people, including quaggans) and the PC’s response is along the lines of “She doesn’t consider the consequences of her actions. She doesn’t even think about them.”

That’s probably the simplest explanation as to why she left her lab behind – it wasn’t part of any plan, she simply didn’t consider that there might be consequences to leaving stuff that she no longer needed behind.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Jaken.6801

Arenanet just released a new “lore” video to bring everyone up to speed on the whole scarlet thing, teasing us with “the worst that is yet to come”:

While it does recap the whole affair up till now, it does show some interesting footage with this provoking sentence:

At around 1:30 we are shown several asura gates, one of them broken. The whole szenery is in twilight or at burning?

We do not have many places where several asura gates are at one place.
One of the more prominent places is still lions arch, where we actually have two hubs.
However one is more or less out of sight enclosed by stone, so they do not apply here.

The ones shown could be the main asura gates of LA then, but i am not sure about the angle they are shown.

Overall it somehow reminds me more off the mists. i can distinctly remember some broken gates in the PvP area, but i can be mistaken.
We know that Scarlet is interested in the mists in some way.

btw. Scarlet announces that “her playtime is over” now. I really hope when they talk about “the end beginns at january 21” they mean it and we get some juicy story here.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The only places where such an angle is possible with a group of asura gates that I can think of would be Gate Hub Plaza in LA, or one of the three corners in Rata Sum.

Edit: Scratch Rata Sum, those are all blocked by trees and structures.

All other gates I can think of which has at least 2 near each other in the game would be in Fort Trinity, but that has a blocked off sight, and Ulta Metamagicals in Brisban, which is also blocked off sight. There are the WvW gates, but those are of a different design.

No other place I can think of has multiple gates next to each other.

Looks like Scarlet’s going to attack Lion’s Arch. Or we get a brand new area/heavily altered area.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Blurk.6231

Blurk.6231

Well the probes have now confirmed to be Scarlets at least. I cant get a really good shot of the asura gates in LA that matches the ones in the trailer so still looking for that. While walking to the asura gates I also saw that the Lion Statue is facing a diffirent direction. If anyone has more info to that please tell me. Will go and look further now. I’ll edit when I find something

Look beyond the obvious…

in Lore

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

The only places where such an angle is possible with a group of asura gates that I can think of would be Gate Hub Plaza in LA, or one of the three corners in Rata Sum.

All other gates I can think of which has at least 2 near each other in the game would be in Fort Trinity, but that has a blocked off sight, and Ulta Metamagicals in Brisban, which is also blocked off sight. There are the WvW gates, but those are of a different design.

Looks like Scarlet’s going to attack Lion’s Arch. Or we get a brand new area/heavily altered area.

There’s also the Coriolis plaza with the inactive Gates, isn’t there?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

Well the probes have now confirmed to be Scarlets at least. I cant get a really good shot of the asura gates in LA that matches the ones in the trailer so still looking for that. While walking to the asura gates I also saw that the Lion Statue is facing a diffirent direction. If anyone has more info to that please tell me. Will go and look further now. I’ll edit when I find something

Despite one of those probes being literally next door to the Chantry of Whispers. If it doesn’t turn out that the Order has interfered with at least that one in some way… Tres disappoint, ArenaNet. Tres disappoint.

in Lore

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Change the face of Tyria forever they say…………..

Are they implementing my suggestion to permanently send Tyria into Nightfall(Kryta kingdom of Pain, Maguuma Jungle of Fear, Bloodpeaks of Madness, Ascalon land of Secrets)?

If they are(even if they plan to have Scarlet be behind it) that will make me really happy!

in Lore

Posted by: Gwethelyn.6182

Gwethelyn.6182

The angles and positions of the portals in the video don’t seem to match with the asura gates of LA (main hub + Coriolis) and Rata Sum (central city + outskirts), I went and checked. There are no place in these cities where two portals are placed that way.

in Lore

Posted by: Psynch.4087

Psynch.4087

This area may be the upcoming Edge of the Mists map. Scarlet may have a base set up there (as hinted by Agent Frovik), and when we arrive the gates are destroyed, amplifying our sense of danger. It would make sense to have multiple gates there that lead to the various borderlands. The map could start out as a living story area, and once the arc is over and Scarlet’s base is destroyed, the map becomes contested and multiple worlds fight for control, shifting it into its eventual WvW role.

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Are they implementing my suggestion to permanently send Tyria into Nightfall(Kryta kingdom of Pain, Maguuma Jungle of Fear, Bloodpeaks of Madness, Ascalon land of Secrets)?

If they are(even if they plan to have Scarlet be behind it) that will make me really happy!

I doubt that. While Scarlet might be powerful in her engineering might, I doubt she would have the power to pull off something of the scale of Nightfall. It took Abaddon centuries, if not millennia, of planning to almost pull that off, and although he was weakened; he was a god. Scarlet is no where near his level.

If I remember my dev quotes, they are suppose to be adding new zones in this year. So, I would imagine that would be part of the “change the face ofTyria forever”. The other part would most likely be their large scale changes to zones. The Tower of Nightmares was their first attempt at that.

In my opinion, it was a very good first try, and I hope they build on that later down the line. It would be nice to see villains and Elder Dragon attacks being able to permanently change a zone like that. It actually makes the Living Story feel living.

in Lore

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Calling it now! All this is going to lead up to some sort of weapon that we use to kill the next dragon.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in Lore

Posted by: ProTech.8402

ProTech.8402

My guess that Scarlet wants to wake up the jungle dragon. It is speculated that Sylvari are the minions of the jungle dragon, but something went wrong and they become independent.

“she looked deep into the eternal alchemy ignoring the warnings of the pale tree and saw something that changed her forever, warping her and turning her into what she is today.”

So what if the pale tree knows this, and it did not want Scarlet to know. When Scarlet looked into the eternal alchemy she realized this, or made contact with the jungle dragon, or become corrupted by the jungle dragon.

“but the question remains: What are these probes meant to find?”

They are searching for the resting place of the jungle dragon.

“and lead to one final moment that will change the face of Tyria forever.”

The jungle dragon awakening could be such an event. And Scarlet can be the jungle dragon’s champion. We will not fight the jungle dragon, or even if we fight it we will not be able to defeat it. It can also be similar to the other dragons, as Primordus, Jormag and Kralkatorrik are all awake, but we do not interact with them anywhere.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

That would not only be far too large of a project to give for “free” but too big for the Living World teams. I mean, just look at the past updates. The biggest one given to us would be the Tower of Nightmares stuff and that was outright stated to be pushing the Living World teams’ budget with constant outsourcing to other teams in ArenaNet.

Changing the entire continent? Every single zone out there? Unless this is like a 2-year arc with 1-2 zones per month, I cannot see it happening. Unless it’s done more poorly than even Secret of Southsun.

Don’t forget that ArenaNet LOVES to overhype their stuff. I mean, going through all the past videos and then comparing to what we saw in-game – all the way back to the Manifesto trailer – how much of what’s in-game is actually comparable to what they said there’d be? Answer: very little.

Chances are, it’ll just be one or two popular zones being changed like Kessex Hills was.

The angles and positions of the portals in the video don’t seem to match with the asura gates of LA (main hub + Coriolis) and Rata Sum (central city + outskirts), I went and checked. There are no place in these cities where two portals are placed that way.

Coriolis’ gates are backed to a cliff wall, so it cannot be them. The image shows the back of the broken asura gate, so getting the angle would be hard if not impossible for players due to how the GW2 camera works. And even then, with broken gate and red sky it’s likely the place would be under attack thus the pillars the gates are on at Gate Hub Plaza – if that is what’s depicted – could easily be cracked and tilted.

My guess that Scarlet wants to wake up the jungle dragon. It is speculated that Sylvari are the minions of the jungle dragon, but something went wrong and they become independent.

Sylvari immunity to dragon corruption debunks this wild-fetched theory.

So what if the pale tree knows this, and it did not want Scarlet to know. When Scarlet looked into the eternal alchemy she realized this, or made contact with the jungle dragon, or become corrupted by the jungle dragon.

The issue here is that Scott McGough outright stated that Scarlet did not see what she thought she saw.

They are searching for the resting place of the jungle dragon.

Mordremoth’s influence – if we’ve seen it at all – is strongest to the west. Why have them all the way in Fields of Ruin or even in Orr given that dragon territories never cross (sans Primordus)?

And Scarlet can be the jungle dragon’s champion.

Again, sylvari are immune to dragon corruption – they literally die when touched with dragon corruption. Unlike dragon minions which can be corrupted by multiple dragons (see Crucible of Eternity).

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

DarcShriek.5829

What if the new toxin helps to reduce the sylvari immunity to corruption?

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

What if the new toxin helps to reduce the sylvari immunity to corruption?

They’re not . . . immune, exactly. They just die instead of becoming corrupt. I think this was said somewhere with regards to the Risen.

Along with the notes on Primordius not corrupting things, rather it fashions destroyers to emulate certain types of forms.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The toxin makes them hallucinate.

Their “immunity” kills them upon touching corruption. The immunity isn’t a case of “haha Elder Dragon, you can do nothing to me!” but rather “you can kill me as easily as you can corrupt anyone else.”

Hallunincations don’t really seem to hold any connection to what could be genetic or magical (and more likely magic) ‘immunity’ to dragon corruption.

@Tobias: The ‘death’ upon corruption was mentioned in an old interview in regards to corruption in general, if memory serves me right. Though it’s been ages so I’m not entirely sure, but Zhaitan’s effects specifically is simply “sylvari don’t rise again” – which bridges into the idea that Zhaitan and the Risen themselves do not corrupt living beings (though they can – see Kellach and Necromancer Rissa).

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

@Tobias: The ‘death’ upon corruption was mentioned in an old interview in regards to corruption in general, if memory serves me right. Though it’s been ages so I’m not entirely sure, but Zhaitan’s effects specifically is simply “sylvari don’t rise again” – which bridges into the idea that Zhaitan and the Risen themselves do not corrupt living beings (though they can – see Kellach and Necromancer Rissa).

Poor Kellach.

I don’t think it was an old interview, it was something later after the game launched. But I recall something in the first mission of the last chapter saying the Pact was dispatching sylvari first onto Orr to investigate since they weren’t affected like other races and didn’t seem to draw Zhaitan’s attention.

(And then we promptly find out, no Zhaitan can handle them and yes, you can break a sylvari without much more effort than it takes to break, say, an asura.)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

That was the Vigil’s plan of invading Cursed Shore talk about the Pale Reavers – which really only mentioned what I said, that they were a scouting unit formed because sylvari killed by the Risen do not rise again.

With “breaking” sylvari you’re probably thinking of a possible story step earlier, if you were to use scouts to locate the Eye of Zhaitan, where you meet a Mad Sylvari (NPC name) that was prisoner of the Risen and was oddly being interrogated rather than killed.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

Where a non-sylvari prisoner would probably simply be killed, raised as Risen, and then the dragon would know everything they did. So from a tactical perspective, and from the perspective that what happened to her may be something she can recover from, it was the best option.

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

That was the Vigil’s plan of invading Cursed Shore talk about the Pale Reavers – which really only mentioned what I said, that they were a scouting unit formed because sylvari killed by the Risen do not rise again.

With “breaking” sylvari you’re probably thinking of a possible story step earlier, if you were to use scouts to locate the Eye of Zhaitan, where you meet a Mad Sylvari (NPC name) that was prisoner of the Risen and was oddly being interrogated rather than killed.

I know I had that as my personal story path as I worked through it. The Mad Sylvari intrigued me, as did the Pale Reaver unit because it seemed to demonstrate the dragons are not to be assumed to be less capable.

in Lore

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Maybe in nighmare tower she was looking for a cure for a poison rather then the testing of a poison. We played into her hand by destroying the tower. Works in the thron prick and blackmailing Majority to her side. And the Scarlet “She cant have you” quote.

in Lore

Posted by: souless.1935

souless.1935

Just to add…In the edge of the mists map the same broken gate can be seen…a solitary one, and if you look in you will see lions arch fountain.

I just wanted to throw this out as well. What if the gate is symbolic of all gates. ASurans have been tapping into energies to get gates functional and if those energies were in some way rooted to ley lines and not just dragon energies she could be for all intents and purposes be seizing all gates in Tyria, with that broken gate being the teaser. The back flow of energy for however she is seizing them could be responsible for a break….that would certainly change Tyria forever. Furthermore she could be dialing them into somewhere else like the edge of the mists but also anywhere else we have been before or not. Underworld, fissures, etc. We don’t know the state of these realms or what’s going on in them. If she has found a way to control a gate she could have found a way to dial into these locations in the mists as well. Another major change and reason for a new area.

Ehmry Bay! Commander – Onyxguard
GW1/GW2 Beta player

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

That does pose an interesting theory into how the Gate Network may indeed work. I think there is the possibility that, unknowingly, the asura have tapped their Gate Network into the leylines, similarly to how they originally tapped their gate network into Primordus. There’s too much room for possibilities there, though, because we know next to nothing about the nature of these leylines.

in Lore

souless.1935

When you think about it this theory does wrap up everything nicely into a bow. Her portal research, the reactor, if she is searching for for the lines connecting them the probes fit into it, fractals of the mists could be some test or leading spark for scarlet…the only thing that does not are the toxic part of the show.

GW1/GW2 Beta player

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

When you think about it this theory does wrap up everything nicely into a bow. Her portal research, the reactor, if she is searching for for the lines connecting them the probes fit into it, fractals of the mists could be some test or leading spark for scarlet…the only thing that does not are the toxic part of the show.

The problem is it ties everything neatly with a bow, with at least one known exception. I figure if you look at it more closely with details, it fits less and less.

Here’s the thing, we’re solving a jigsaw puzzle without all the pieces and trying to get it to make sense. We don’t have the majority of the puzzle, even. We know only so much and her goals are unknown.

While we can assume everything she does fits into achieving a goal I present there are likely some things, or maybe most things, are unrelated to her end goal and exist only to either throw roadblocks in the way of people trying to stop her OR to try alternate paths which don’t work out.

in Lore

souless.1935

Your statement has no examples….expand? How does it fit less and less outside the one example? I am proposing all things are linked sub super adventure box and sub an explanation for the tower.

GW1/GW2 Beta player

in Lore

souless.1935

Just to add another point…look at arah and all the circles that reside there….what if Arah was designed by the God’s to be a gate hub from places in the mists like where they came? What if these circular structures were gates themselves? It would make sense that the gods having touched down in Arah would have also considered this a landing place but also a transport hub for elsewhere and it would be interesting that the architecture at least in the respect is similar to an ASuran gate. It would explain the presence of probes there.

Now there is nothing supportive from an Orrian human historical text basis to support this but who says it ever got used either.

GW1/GW2 Beta player

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Your statement has no examples….expand? How does it fit less and less outside the one example? I am proposing all things are linked sub super adventure box and sub an explanation for the tower.

A lot of things are linked. By a single thread: Scarlet.

I’d need to really stop and dive into minute details on the matter, but I missed some of the stuff firsthand so . . . I can’t be entirely sure it’s accurate. It’s why I’ve stayed largely out of nitpicking.

All theorycrafters should be aware, though, of one very important thing: Occam’s Razor. If you’re going out of your way to explain something, maybe it’s something simpler.

in Lore

souless.1935

In this case I think it’s all in the way which is where the bow comment came from. It seems very logical and concise. I’d love for some criticism.

It could be the toxin episode is more related to the pale tree and the little secret unshared that Scarlett knows about which is an unrelated affair but that is where I would start stretching. I simply don’t see the fit yet In that regard but everything else makes sense

GW1/GW2 Beta player

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

In this case I think it’s all in the way which is where the bow comment came from. It seems very logical and concise. I’d love for some criticism.

It could be the toxin episode is more related to the pale tree and the little secret unshared that Scarlett knows about which is an unrelated affair but that is where I would start stretching. I simply don’t see the fit yet In that regard but everything else makes sense

Okay, well here’s what I see in the picture as a whole.

Disclaimer: I did not take part in Twilight Assault or Fractured due to RL time constraints at the time. I cannot and will not offer conjecture towards Scarlet’s influence in these two things other than this:

It’s apparent her appearance in Fractured was a retelling and not riding into events like our characters were through the Mistlock. It’s also apparent her involvement did not cause the accident, and it became an intriguing thing to her.

Ceara started out curious about the world and how things worked, despite the Pale Tree trying desperately to tell her to not push too far. Mostly because it was never about the knowledge as a whole . . . it was always about how useful it was to her. She did not respect any of the knowledge she was given, or the people giving it to her.

This brought her to the experiment which drove her to face up to . . . something . . . which broke her inside and drove her to call herself “Scarlet” instead of Ceara. After that she had a different goal in mind – trying to find answers for a different problem.

The Molten Alliance took the dredge’s mechanical prowess and married it to the magic of the Flame Legion, which allowed her to see whether the two could mix in ways other than how asura worked. She got her answer, and only kept the Molten Alliance on for use as a big stick to hit people with if she needed it.

Next there were the Aetherblades, though circumstances suggest she was working these around the same time. She let Captain Mai Trin have control while watching Inquest technology at work and seeing how they had grown with portal technology. The Pact airships which had been stolen also had a use for her, but once Mai Trin made the mistake of getting caught and exposing the Aetherblades their use was also downgraded to shock troops if needed.

Now comes the Queen’s Jubilee and the watchworks, which she discovers operates on similar mechanics to something else she knows. Humans have nothing on asuran technology so it was child’s play to discern a method of stealing control and twisting them to her ends. The invasions were more to test the efficiency and effectiveness of her “troops” and she found them . . . wanting.

Comes the Toxic Alliance. She has the Obelisk Shards . . . we’re not told how . . . and returns them to the krait with the suggestion she can give them greatness they never could reach without the Shards. She takes what she has of the Nightmare Court’s botanical knowledge and fuses it into creatures to create hybrids and abominations . . . culminating in somehow taking a krait and fusing it with sylvari plants.

Now it’s on to the next experiment, and the next search for knowledge. Scarlet isn’t out to rule the world, she’s out to change it in a massive way. She’s very slowly getting pieces to put together, a theory taking shape she can use for her ends.

in Lore

Posted by: webtoehobbit.4201

webtoehobbit.4201

Just to add…In the edge of the mists map the same broken gate can be seen…a solitary one, and if you look in you will see lions arch fountain.

I just wanted to throw this out as well. What if the gate is symbolic of all gates. ASurans have been tapping into energies to get gates functional and if those energies were in some way rooted to ley lines and not just dragon energies she could be for all intents and purposes be seizing all gates in Tyria, with that broken gate being the teaser. The back flow of energy for however she is seizing them could be responsible for a break….that would certainly change Tyria forever. Furthermore she could be dialing them into somewhere else like the edge of the mists but also anywhere else we have been before or not. Underworld, fissures, etc. We don’t know the state of these realms or what’s going on in them. If she has found a way to control a gate she could have found a way to dial into these locations in the mists as well. Another major change and reason for a new area.

I really like this a lot, and after reading this I went back and watched the end of the Our Story So Far video where it shows the gates at the end, the thing that stuck out most to me this time watching it through is that only one of the gates is broken. When I first watched this I was all, oh, the gate’s not working cause it’s all broken, but the one behind it is not, yet the portal is not active, so now I am wondering if maybe the leylines do have to do with the Asura Gates.

I mean on Asura Gate page on the wiki it explains that it was once thought that it was powered centrally from the Central Transfer Chamber by Primordus, which has now been destroyed but yet the network still remains functional. I think you’re onto something here….

in Lore

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

I have this friend who is almost the same as Scarlet. People have varying levels of thirst for information/knowledge/wisdom. At some of the extreme levels of this thirst this strange science that is part-way between psychology and philosophy appears. It’s clear she thirsts for knowledge because of her obsession with her education.

If you ever though Scarlet’s plans were without consequence; they were. This friend of mine will provoke people (and he’ll use whatever means possible to provoke them – dead relatives/friends included) with the mere intention of observing their reaction. Every time someone lashes out at him; he has learnt more.

Taking a more extreme and single-minded version of my friend (a.k.a. Scarlet): everyone is merely an experiment.

Scarlet’s plan was a success the minute we caused overflows in Wayfarer’s Foothills fixing signs – she knows we are completely willing to do brainless and mundane tasks so long as we get recognition. Reacting to her invasions taught her about our perversion toward loot and rewards. She knows we like to group up together from the events inside the tower. I’m sure you get the idea.

This is how Scarlet views us – we are psychology test subjects. I mean, heck, she even gave us hallucinogenic substances and put us in pressing circumstances – something some of the worst experimental psychologists in history have done.

Her psyche is completely plausible. We are nothing more than lab rats.

Edit:

Tyria will burn,

Given that we have played into her hands and now she knows everything about our behavior; probably.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

(edited by zamalek.2154)

in Lore

souless.1935

Now it’s on to the next experiment, and the next search for knowledge. Scarlet isn’t out to rule the world, she’s out to change it in a massive way. She’s very slowly getting pieces to put together, a theory taking shape she can use for her ends.

My problem with this is that ‘What Scarlet Saw’ gives quite a bit of indication that she knows what she is going to do and is not astray looking.

“The forces that push us this way or that can be redirected. They can be set against one another to the detriment of both, and now I know how.”

GW1/GW2 Beta player

in Lore

Tobias Trueflight.8350

My problem with this is that ‘What Scarlet Saw’ gives quite a bit of indication that she knows what she is going to do and is not astray looking.

“The forces that push us this way or that can be redirected. They can be set against one another to the detriment of both, and now I know how.”

Knowing how to do it and having the tools to do it are two different things. And if she knows how and doesn’t have the tools, then what she is doing is getting the tools ready.

Or “know how” is less complete; instead of it being “knowing exactly how to solve this equation” it’s “I know what the problem is, but not the steps needed to get there”. Her behavior suggests the latter – she’s aware what she needs to do but is working on how to reach the point where she has the tools to do it.

in Lore

souless.1935

Your post was written as if she was in some process of experimentation and that’s the part I disagree with. I think she fully knows what she is doing and is taking steps to get there that are not experimental but purposeful and to steer it back to the gate conversation, it just fits with her portal MO as a whole.

One other thing I woud add, in the gate in the edge of the mists…the image of lions arch looks like the portals she normally produces when you stare into it.

GW1/GW2 Beta player

in Lore

Jaken.6801

New Trailer:

So we have an ominous voice which tells us that Scarlet has to succeed with whatever she is doing because she has some “grand design”.

We also see how she does carry out her attack: Giant Watchknights on Puppeteer Strings…
Oh, and appearently she got an UFO now, from where the chains (strings) are being let down.

I am not sure how i should think of that. They really want to hammer these chaos watchknights in, however to be honest, i never really put them together with Scarlet as being her main force.
Well, apearently the designers really love them, so who am i to judge (i like the deign as well, but i still do not get their purpose. come on give us info on the original watchknights, before they were turned -_- )

Anyway, we also see some big fights in icy fields. I could not identify the location though. I presume it is Lonars Pass though.
It reminded me on the first invasion i was going to, so maybe it is beeing expanded upon. Her invasions do have a meaning then? More context?

We also see a new plantworm boss on a beach, which does not to be in the game right now. Again this could be from Scarlet, from the TA.

Last thing i noticed is a place with 5 plattforms, which seems to be the place where the giants were built.

Putting things together:
- Scarlet goes full invasion
- She created giant Robots which she controls from an UFO, appearently her homebase (or it is a giant Portal which she moves. It was round, so i am not sure)
- Someone follows her because of her plans and is ready to do everything so she succeeds
- Scarlet likes the color green
- We all have to die

So far the usual madness, not what i was expecting, though.

Edit: A bit more Info here.

The big Robot seems to reflect Scarlets ambitions. Everyone being beneath her.

(edited by Jaken.6801)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

i like the deign as well, but i still do not get their purpose. come on give us info on the original watchknights, before they were turned -_-

But we got that info when they were revealed?

They’re a brand new human-made invention meant to act as new defenders of humanity (mainly of Divinity’s Reach). They’re basically meant to help out the Seraph in their fights, while at the same time meant to show the other races that though humanity has been through tough times they’re still standing strong.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Jaken.6801

But we got that info when they were revealed?

They’re a brand new human-made invention meant to act as new defenders of humanity (mainly of Divinity’s Reach). They’re basically meant to help out the Seraph in their fights, while at the same time meant to show the other races that though humanity has been through tough times they’re still standing strong.

Okay, let me rephrase it.
An introduction with a little more meat behind that. You have to admit they appeared out of nowhere and disapeared completly after that (i do not count Scarlets abomninations)

They felt very shallow and their only “reason” so far in the story was to be converted and give Scarlet a new toy.

That they do not appear anywhere in DR anymore after that does not help the case.
They feel like someone had a cool design for Scarlets minions and they had to cramp it in in some way.

Yes, they stated the description you just gave, however that does not make them less random.
They could easily write them out and it would still work. We know Scarlet is a mechanic. She could have build them herself. heck she could even have constructed them in the first place and sold them to the humans for said purpose.

Right now: Here have Watchknights. Oh Watchknights are now hers. Better Pull them to never be seen again (till the next jubilee of course, where we need some new mesmer constrcuts to farm.. i mean celebrate with).

I might be to critical here, but the whole thing always rubbed me the wrong way. I have a strong suspension of disbelief usually, but these just felt wrong for me.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I’ve always viewed it as “if Scarlet can hijack them so easily, we should not have them in the open for her to do so again until we figure out how she did so or she is taken care of.” Or Scarlet went and hijacked all of them so there were none left for humanity to use.

I would at least hope that Watchknights will be stationed not just around Divinity’s Reach but also certain major human settlements (like Claypool, Shaemoor, and Seraph’s Landing – as these do not get assaulted) once Scarlet is killed.

Rather than their sudden disappearance, I’m more interested in how Scarlet managed to take control of them so easily. Hopefully it won’t boil down to a “she’s just that great” comment (and hopefully it’ll be answered).

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: webtoehobbit.4201

webtoehobbit.4201

I’ve kinda wondered if maybe Scarlet gifted the Watchwork Knights to Divinity’s Reach, like she manufactured them and then as a trojan horse kinda thing, “made them” for Divinity’s Reach under the guise of someone else. I mean, in the Tower of Nightmares it seemed like the Watchwork Knights were built in with a voice command protocol to go under Scarlets commanc at the right phrase.