Tinfoil hat theories about how things work

in Lore

Posted by: lordhelmos.7623

lordhelmos.7623

A collection of tinfoil hat theories about how things work:

1.) Metaphysics

According to Snaff, “the building blocks of reality are held together by magic” and magic flows through all things.

Magic is corruptable, as seen by the shattering of Magdaer and the transformation of ascalon into ghostlands due to Adelbern’s rage against the charr invasion being channeled through the magic released by the sword.

The six dragons are a natural control mechanism for magic. In all ecosystems, the building blocks of life (e.g. magic, energy) must be broken down, cleaned, then returned to the world in a basic state. The six dragons exist for this purpose. As lesser races use magic for ill means, it becomes corrupted. Too much corruption of magic starts to tear apart the world. To prevent this, the dragons awaken when magic’s corruption has reached a dangerous threshold.

Once awakened, the dragons consume all magic in the world. They draw the corruption within themselves and then sleep, releasing purified magic into the world and giving rise to a new age.

“Dragon Energy” is corrupted magic taken in and stored by the dragons. The dragons transform this energy into purified magic over time.

The dragons are not good or evil, their corruptive aspects and “personalities” are simply shaped by the stained magic they devour and purify. LThey are in essence, a reflection of the world’s sins.

The relationship of the dragons, magic, and corruption is what the Asura understand as “The Eternal Alchemy.” This is depicted in the game through the diagram showing the various spheres that represent the dragons and magic within the center.

2.) Human Gods

The human gods are outsiders that came from a place outside of Tyria. They were travelers that walked through pthe mist between worlds. We know that this type of travel is possible. Mortals such as Lord Odran were able to manipulate magic to reveal temportal portals through the mists that led to places like the Hall of Heroes, the Rift, etc. The gods likely reached Tyria via similar means.

I personally believe that the human gods were not divine at first. They might have been kings and rulers of the original human travelers that came to Tyria. They discovered a place in Tyria where the leylines that control the flow of magic all intersected to create a huge magical wellspring. This wellspring was the Artesian Waters.

I think the human gods were mortals that “ascended” to godhood through the Tyrian Artesian waters. Because of this, their divinity is directly linked to the Eternal Alchemy.

There are six dragons and six gods. I believe this is relevant due to the human gods drawing power from the six major spokes of the Tyrian magic system.

3.) Ancient Races

Before the gods, the ancient races (Seers, Jotun, Mursaat, Forgotten) existed on Tyria. We can assume these races had some understanding of the Eternal Alchemy. The seers tried to “cheat” the system by creating the bloodstones and using these stones to store magical energy instead of having it return to the dragons. I believe the Seers intended to use the bloodstones to weaken the dragons and empower themselves so that they could stand a chance against on the next awakening.

I also believe the conversion of the Dragon Champion Glint by the forgotten and allowing her to feel empathy for mortal races was also part of the ancient race’s efforts to fight the coming dragons.

However, despite their attempts to cheat and store power to combat the dragons, the efforts of the old races were not enough (the Mursaat abandoning the other races didnt help either). Their civilizations were ultimately destroyed in just another cycle.

4.) More about the Human Gods

The introduction of the human gods and their bestowing of magic (thanks Abaddon) to humans created an imbalance in the eternal alchemy. The misuse of magic from humans during the Guild Wars accelerated the magical corruption of Tyria, which is what caused the dragons to stir and awaken early.

I think the human gods saw this and per Doric’s request, removed powerful magic from humans and sealed it in the bloodstones the Seers left behind. The human gods then left Tyria to prevent another escalation like the Guild Wars from occurring again.

I also believe the human gods did this to preserve their own divinity, because the awakening of the dragons would draw the power they obtained from the Artesian Waters away from them. The widespread misuse of magic would only accelerate the dragon awakening -which Is something the gods want to prevent.

(cont.)

(edited by lordhelmos.7623)

in Lore

lordhelmos.7623

5.) Current Events (SPOILERS)

The defeat of Zhaitan and Mordremoth heavily imbalanced the eternal alchemy, forcing the surviving dragons to handle the cleansing the magical aspects the now dead dragons were responsible for. This is why we are starting to see dragon minions with multiple types of dragon energy.

Taimi and the commander discovered that killing more dragons would upset the balance even further, causing a magical imbalance that would destroy the world.

In Flashpoint, we discover that Balthazar was masquerading as Lazarus -and that he is in pathetic shape for a god. I mean, he’s a god of war that is stealing from the white mantle and hiring mercenaries.

Because the dragons are awakening and drawing magic back into themselves, I believe my theories are true and that the gods are starting to lose their powers. Balthazar’s biggest fear as the god of war is becoming a weak mortal -especially when denizens like the armies of Menzies are besieging his real within the Fissure of Woe.

In desperation, Balthazar returned to Tyria after learning about Omadd’s machine and the plan to use opposing dragon energy to defeat Jormag and Primordus. His ultimate goal was to steal the machine for himself, kill the dragons as planned, and absorb their power into himself to restore his divinity. He didn’t care that the cost of this lwould be disrupting the eternal alchemy and destroying Tyria.

6.) Future Events

Here is where I put on my Tinfoil Hat:

A.) With the knowledge the the dragons cannot be destroyed, I think a major story point is finding replacements for Zhaitan and Mordremoth to rebalance the Eternal Alchemy. Aurene plays a major role in this as one of the replacements.

B.) Now that Balthazar has made a move in desperation and the human gods are losing their divine power due to the dragon awakenings, I believe they will now return to Tyria and become involved. I believe the gods will have conflicting agendas. Some will be helpful (Lyssa -see below) andpp others (like Balthazar) will become enemies.

C.) I’m buying into the theory that Queen Jennah and Anise are actually the Twin Goddess Lyssa (Illya and Lyss). This is hinted at during the opening story for Heart of Thorns in which the Pact Commander discovers that there is a magic mirror/pendant that shows the identity of the real queen (and its heavily hinted as not Jennah). I think the reason she is here is to keep an eye on humans and manipulate their kingdompships to prevent another guild war.

I also believe that the twin that is masquerading as Jennah is truly in love in Logan Thackery but keeps him distant because she has been manipulating him this whole time.

D.) I believe that a plot point coming up will be the question of how to purify the magical corruption in the world. There will be powerful artifacts and forces that have the ability to imbalance the Eternal Alchermy, we will have to stop those forces and their wielders. Examples include the Scepter of Orr and the Staff of the Mists. The price for allowing these forces to run rampant will be the dragon awakenings.

Things will go wrong, dragons will still wake up. We will still have to fight dragons and their minions, then rebalance the eternal alchemy after we either put the dragon back to sleep or kill it and find a replacement.

I think the story formula going forward is as follows:

-Major villain that disrupts the eternal alchemy is introduced (e.g. Balthazar, Palawa Joko). We fight this entity because they are either trying to actively discrioy balance, which will accelerate the dragon awakening or they possess some king of powerful artifact that we need to stop or change the cycle.

-Something goes wrong and we end up having it awaken and fighting it anyway. After fighting each dragon we will have a story reprieve and be working to find the said replacement to balance the Eternal Alchemy.

in Lore

Posted by: starhunter.6015

starhunter.6015

3.) I’m buying into the theory that Queen Jennah and Anise are actually the Twin Goddess Lyssa (Illya and Lyss). This is hinted at during the opening story for Heart of Thorns in which the Pact Commander discovers that there is a magic mirror/pendant that shows the identity of the real queen (and its heavily hinted as not Jennah). I think the reason she is here is to keep an eye on humans and manipulate their kingdom ships to prevent another guild war.

Now this I question too, specially since of the pendant that was so important in early LS. I wonder if Kasmeer or even Logan could be the true ruler and hidden from that since birth to protect them.

in Lore

lordhelmos.7623

Per above here are the some of the replacements for the elder dragons I can see happening:

Kralkatorrik: Replaced by Aurene

Mordremoth: Replaced by the Pale Tree once she recovers

Zhaitan: The undead lich Livia

Primordus: ???

Jormag: ???

Steve/Bubbles: ???

As we replace more dragons in the eternal alchemy with allied forces, I suspect that the commander will be able to attune to each new replacement as a champion and unlock unique abilities with mastery lines.

Following the closure of HOT the first mastery line will be Champion of the Pale Tree and grant us abilities associated with plants and minds.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I personally believe that the human gods were not divine at first. They might have been kings and rulers of the original human travelers that came to Tyria. They discovered a place in Tyria where the leylines that control the flow of magic all intersected to create a huge magical wellspring. This wellspring was the Artesian Waters.

I think the human gods were mortals that “ascended” to godhood through the Tyrian Artesian waters. Because of this, their divinity is directly linked to the Eternal Alchemy.

There are six dragons and six gods. I believe this is relevant due to the human gods drawing power from the six major spokes of the Tyrian magic system.

While the gods may not have been divine forever (we know at least a couple ascended), I think there’s enough evidence to believe that their divinity predates their arrival on Tyria. For instance, Abaddon was one of the gods to arrive on Tyria, and we know Abaddon had a predecessor – said predecessor, then, must have been divine before the gods arrived on Tyria.

Furthermore, while some of the domains of the gods line up to the Tyrian domains, not all of them do. Zhaitan, Primordus, and Mordremoth can be lined up, with some issued, to Grenth, Balthazar, and Melandru respectively. However, every attempt to line them up has run into problems with lining up the remaining set, even with the DSD essentially being a wild card that can adopt whichever role is left… particularly since Jormag’s sphere appears to explicitly be cold-related, and cold is not one of the primary spheres of the Six Gods.

My viewpoint is that the Six Gods are likely the six, similar but different, spheres of some other world. Balthazar’s depowering may well be entirely unrelated to events on Tyria – Tyria may be our little part of the Guild Wars setting, but not everything has to be linked to events on Tyria.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: jctkatch.4078

jctkatch.4078

Per above here are the some of the replacements for the elder dragons I can see happening:

Kralkatorrik: Replaced by Aurene

Mordremoth: Replaced by the Pale Tree once she recovers

Zhaitan: The undead lich Livia

Primordus: ???

Jormag: ???

Steve/Bubbles: ???

As we replace more dragons in the eternal alchemy with allied forces, I suspect that the commander will be able to attune to each new replacement as a champion and unlock unique abilities with mastery lines.

Following the closure of HOT the first mastery line will be Champion of the Pale Tree and grant us abilities associated with plants and minds.

The replacement for DSD/Bubbles could be Kuunavang. It’s been theorized that, much like Glint, Kuunavang could be a dragon champion that turned on its master. Besides, we already have a reason to go Elona (Palawa Joko, perhaps Kralkatorrik); we need a reason to go to Cantha. Bubbles and Kuunavang could be that reason.

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

That’s a possibility – however, I’m inclined to think that the Canthan dragon population are unrelated to the Elder Dragons (or at least, are not minions or former minions, they may have a common ancestor), similar to non-corrupted wyverns and drakes. If they ARE, though, the DSD is probably the safest bet.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Kralkatorrik would probably be a safer bet, given that saltspray dragons utilize air and fire magic, and Kralkatorrik/Glint have a lot of relations to sky (specifically wind, lightning, and sun and in Kralk’s case, clouds and storms), second to their relations to crystals.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

True, but the Saltsprays, and even the Rockhides and similar creatures such as kirin, lack anything crystalline in their appearance. However, they do have features reminiscent of aquatic creatures (specifically, the catfish-like barbels). For the record, I think it’s far more likely that they’re an independent group rather than being directly connected to either, however.