Traeharne Breaking Continuity

in Lore

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

so i’ve come to realize that (other than being poorly voice acted, horrible dialogue, and a general BORE of a character)
Traeharne tends to break continuity…

like?
this screenshot.

“may i present Professor Gorr, who you have never met till now and so i must explain who he is”

its like i didn’t go through a ton of personal story missions with him before now.
heres a list

A Meeting of the Minds
Field Test
Lines of Communication
Protest Too Much
Pry the Eye Open
Rakt and Ruin
Test Subject

aka EVERY SINGLE ORDER. Durmand Priory, Order of Whispers, and Vigil….
and even for all races
Magic Sucks (thats the quest name)

……so are we just going to introduce characters every time i see them AGAIN as if i never met them?

seriously. this isn’t the first time Traeharne(who just butts his fat head into the story at battle of claw island without being invited) not only ruins the mood of the story. but flat out makes me skip dialogue because what he says is so unneeded.

i thought the point of the personal story choices was so it affects the story later. in which case Traeharne should KNOW i know who Gorr is cause he was WITH ME when we tested out Gorr’s rifle against the undead before we retook claw island!

so this is another reason i hate Traeharne.

can anyone else find examples of this idiot doing this kind of thing?

Attachments:

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

(edited by arenta.2953)

in Lore

Posted by: Scratcherclaw.2713

Scratcherclaw.2713

Yeah, it tends to happen a lot, and it’s not just exclusive to Trahearne. To be fair, NPCs don’t necessarily know if you’ve met the person before, but the dialogue of the person you’ve met should reflect that you have. It usually does if you speak with the person out of a cut scene. It happens with Priestess Rhie in the Cathedral of Silence I know.

Lady Wi introduces herself too in the OoW line, even though I met her from the human noble story, but her non-cinematic dialogue does acknowledge this.
Though there are some parts where the it’s acknowledged it the cut scene. If you do the “Make others suffer” questline and meet Sayeh, she says that you’ve met in the cinematic when Trahearne makes the introduction. I assume they just didn’t want to have to do multiple sets of voice recording to save money.

There are several occasions where characters you’ve met in the past do remember you, though. In some of the level 80 quests, some people from early in the human story show up and remember you, even referring to you as the Hero of Shaemoor.

Disclaimer: I’m not defending Trahearne as I do hate him, but other NPCs do the same thing. Hate on Trahearne for other reasons instead.

in Lore

arenta.2953

heh i got a whole list of reasons to hate trahearne..

hopefully we see him die in opening of HoT (preferably in a way that i don’t have to listen to him give a last speech….how about he blows up? or turns into a villian)

also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rfd1MKzyjk

plus…..all the story missions were epikittenIL he showed up. his appearence is pretty much the sign that the story goes downhill and becomes more cliche and uninteresting.

i mean look at Asura story lv 1-30 (and hten orders at lv 40)

and then lv 50’s claw island is fun, but becomes a bore at parts where Trahaerne talks….and then dies when you go to his mother to see orr and then he becomes leader somehow (not that he DOES anything. you make all the decisions cause he can’t do a DANG THING without you)

lv 60 -80. endless throwaway characters(like hte norn who gets captured by krait after saying she admires you and dies………should i care about her? apparently since i had to go to holbrak to talk about her. i don’t give a rats kitten about her….

Trahearne basically marks the decline of the story from fun and replayable

to dull and gag worthy.

(edited by arenta.2953)

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Ah yes, because GW2 has facebook and thus Trahearne would know every single person you’ve met with beforehand.

in Lore

arenta.2953

Ah yes, because GW2 has facebook and thus Trahearne would know every single person you’ve met with beforehand.

no i mean i’ve met gorr twice before
once in lv 30 story
and once in the claw island story. WITH TRAHEARNE.

heres a vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO-IC9EJp98

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

Did your character meet Vivian before? If you aren’t charr, probably not. They get extra dialogue with her in that mission as well it seems.

Honestly, that line sounds less like an introduction as if you never met them (though for non asura, non-OoW characters, you have never met him before), and more of a “Hello everybody, these are the experts we are working with today.”

So again, what’s the issue? He’s not saying you have never met the man, just that you are working with him. It’s a line that covers non-charr and asura players (who haven’t met them, discounting if you did that mission as OoW in claw island arc), but at the same time, doesn’t strike me as if Asura players have never met him.

I’ve seen lines like that many times. “May I introduce so and so, our guest speaker.” Even if everybody knows the man (personally or who he is).

Again, if your character is NOT Asura, and is NOT Order of Whispers, you will NEVER see Gorr before that point. If your character is not Charr, you will NEVER see Vivian before that point either.

edit: to clear up, you are wanting five unique cutscenes for that mission.
A: Asura
B: OoW
C: Charr
D: Charr+ OoW
E: everybody else

(edited by Kalavier.1097)

in Lore

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

It’s even worse with Tegwen and Carys.

As I wasn’t playing a Sylvari, I didn’t meet them in the early story, but Trahearne suggested I’d recruit them to save claw island. So we find them, get introduced and explained how they found a mirror and got sent to Orr. They help us recapture Claw island.

Later in Orr, we need to lure out the Eye of Zhaitan, so in comes the mirror. I get introduced to both of them again. I get told the darn mirror story again.

Then I decide to march on Arah with the Vigil and guess who’s there? Tegwen and Carys. Apparently I don’t remember the Pale Reavers so she needs to explain that to me again. Then I get told the mirror story for the third time.

I understand it’s easier to make this way, as its universal conversation, but it does rather break the immersion a bit.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Trahearne would have no idea you met Gorr before in the asura personal story.

I’m not sure if it happens again if you did Magic Sucks thouh.

He does something similar with Sayeh, introducing her as if we haven’t met. But Sayeh more or less tells him off with ’we’ve met, Marshal’. Or did before the restoration.

@Kalavier: Vivian is also met by norn. Both norn and charr have a 50/50 chance to meet Vivian if they side with the Durmand Priory in one of the earlier parts of C3 (not the final decision).

So rather than 5, it’d be 7 unique lines:
A: Asura
B: OoW
C: Charr
D: Charr + OoW
C: Norn
D: Norn + OoW
E: everybody else

@Evans: Trahearne acknowledged that I knew Tegwen and Carys when I took my sylvari who did Act With Wisdom (but was Vigil) to the Eye of Zhaitan mission. He did remind me of the mirror, but he acknowledged that ’it’s the same mirror from before’.

Tegwen and Carys also remembered me from the Eye during the Vigil’s Path into Orr, and said something along the lines of “hello again, Commander”. They made no mention of the mirror, but did tell me of the Pale Reavers – whom I had never heard of before (that is literally the ONLY storyline in all of the PS in which the Pale Reavers exist).

Or they did before the restoration, at least.

But he did introduce Laranthir to my Whispers charr when I had just met him near release time (so don’t know if it’s been fixed) – fine by me, Trahearne wouldn’t know I knew Laranthir. What annoyed me then was that Laranthir also acted like he never met me.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Let me clarify that I’m talking about the cut scenes, not interaction with the NPC’s. The actual interaction is always on point, just not the cut scenes. At least not for my Asura.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

So was I.

15charr1post

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

Cutscenes are harder to make unique compared to Character interactions though. Being voiced and all.

I mean, we are talking about (In that instance the original poster mentioned), them having to record that cutscene 7 different times, with the difference being something like “My I present Professor Gorr, and you already know Vivian” (which Trahearne actually wouldn’t know about!) Seems like a lot of work for a very minor tweak.

Hell, re-reading the line, I don’t even see how it comes across so harshly that it acts as if you never met Gorr or Vivian.

Trahearne: Commander, may I present Professor Gorr, who pioneered the theory of Elder Dragons consuming magic; and Scholar Vivian, a top expert on the Risen.

^ is the line. I just don’t see where the original poster is coming from.

in Lore

Posted by: spartan.9421

spartan.9421

Personally, i don’t understand all the hate towards Trahearne, or all the love people have for Tybalt. When it comes down to it Trahearne is really the only one capable of leading the pact because, as they stated in one of the personal story missions, only someone who is not from one of the orders may lead the pact. (this is to avoid the pact leader playing favorites.) But lets go through a list of why Trahearne is one of the best choices as pact leader. Starting with the potential leaders.

1. YOU (aka the player character.) The answer to this is pretty obvious…. You can’t be sitting in a war-room ordering the pact around when you need to be out in the field, fighting. You need to be on the frontlines helping your comrades.

2. Tybalt. as much as everyone would love this, it simply can not happen for a few reasons. One reason would be that Tybalt sacrifices himself to save you and everyone else who flees on claw island. (i know most people don’t understand why that happens but i’ll save that for another day.) And the other reason being… Tybalt isn’t the leader type. he just isn’t serious enough.

3, Forgal. Forgal could be a good choice, but, he also must sacrifice himself to save you and the other fleeing soldiers. And he is too much of a brute and would much rather be fighting than commanding.

3. Sieran. terrible choice. She isn’t the leader type either and isn’t serious enough (and she too has to sacrifice herself to save you.)

4. one of the order leaders. they can’t they have their own orders to lead.

5. destiny’s edge member. they can’t they have their own little group to lead and people to mentor.

Now how about we do a list of why Trahearne is a good choice (i’m not a fanboy i’m just pointing out what most people miss)

1. Trahearne has A LOT of knowledge of elder dragons, their minions, and regions. he’s a scholar and dedicated quite alot of time into studying elder dragons and their minons.

2. He isn’t part of any order but every order looks up to him and relies on his information.

3. He has the personality of a leader. He is likeable, (by the npcs not the haters) stern, but also soft-spoken if needed. (don’t get me wrong his lines and voice acting are a bit bland and need improvement)

4. Unlike the orders leaders he is willing to listen to everyones plans and make decisions on whats best for the whole pact not just part of the pact.
the orders leaders (i’ll use Almorra for an example) if Almorra was the pact leader she would only listen to what vigil soldiers say to her and would just shy away from what the other two orders would say (this applies to all three orders, all three orders would do this.)

The above list is what Trahearne is supposed to be like, i do agree that the devs (sorry devs) could work on the personal story and Trahearne alot more to make it more clear of what Trahearne is supposed to be. No reason to hate on Trahearne he is just doing his job as pact leader

(little side note when i think of more potential pact leaders i will edit them in)

Worrying is like a rocking chair: You go back and forth but never get anywhere.

in Lore

Posted by: Yngrael.5804

Yngrael.5804

I kind of understand where the Trahearne hate is coming from, but I cannot understand the love for Tybalt. My OoW character was my third one and after all the hype for Tybalt I’d read on the forums he just felt super underwhelming.

However, now that I’ve played the sylvari personal story, I’m way more sympathetic towards Trahearne (and a lot more hostile towards Caithe).

And it’s not just Trahearne that forgets which characters I’ve already met. I swear every other character with their own cutscenes does it – but it’s largely the result of having so many branches in the personal story.

in Lore

arenta.2953

I kind of understand where the Trahearne hate is coming from, but I cannot understand the love for Tybalt. My OoW character was my third one and after all the hype for Tybalt I’d read on the forums he just felt super underwhelming.

However, now that I’ve played the sylvari personal story, I’m way more sympathetic towards Trahearne (and a lot more hostile towards Caithe).

And it’s not just Trahearne that forgets which characters I’ve already met. I swear every other character with their own cutscenes does it – but it’s largely the result of having so many branches in the personal story.

tybalt was a likable character who made the story a combination of fun and funny. instead of the bland trahearne lectures after every fight.

tybalt had an interestign backstory from what happened to cause him to be abandoned by the legions and move to the OoW

while Trahearne is “i sat in orr” …….who cares? did you do anything but stare at stuff in orr?

tybalt made the player character see that the game could be fun, funny, and make you grow attached to a character…..
and then the character died fighting impossible odds to let the player character escape.

trahearne has never done anything heroic. he hides behind you(tell you to take the lead, or do this, or do that. let the commander do it blah blah)
he’s a scholar……and yet we are forced to believe he can handle the logisitics of not 1, not 2, but 3 giant orders…….

in Lore

Posted by: spartan.9421

spartan.9421

arenta… Seiran was also like that but she made every little thing fun and exciting in her part of the personal story but no one ever mentions her

and i agree with you yngrael i see caithe as someone who could possibly turn on everyone just because of folain and i also feel more sympathetic towards trahearne after the sylvari personal story

Worrying is like a rocking chair: You go back and forth but never get anywhere.

in Lore

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

arenta… Seiran was also like that but she made every little thing fun and exciting in her part of the personal story but no one ever mentions her

and i agree with you yngrael i see caithe as someone who could possibly turn on everyone just because of folain and i also feel more sympathetic towards trahearne after the sylvari personal story

Ya Caithe has been very edgy with her loyalty the more you get to know her.

For example, in one Sylvari Personal Story for Green Huntsman she gave up on Occam without even trying. Of course Occam is fine no matter the choice due to becoming a member of the Pact later but still Caithe gave up way too quickly. Even the Mother Tree says she is at a dangerous mental state now and is at risk to become something dangerous.

Trehearne, while I don’t hate nor like him, is the character that gives the Player character’s room to do what the Player character does in GW2 since as the pact Leader Trehearne has other tasks he must priorities above his own needs off scene from Political debates and negotiations with each Race of Tyria, Military Planning, Office Meetings with Pact Officers, Projects Planning, Resource management, Contact gathering, Recuitment management, Desk Job tasks, A lot of Paperwork, and etc.

Compared to the Player’s Character, Trehearne has a real Job in GW2 while our character is just running around doing what he or she wants because he or she is free to do so until he or she is needed to help kill a Elder Dragon.

Of course free may not be so true with how “E” has been influencing where we go since Season 1 to Season 2.

(edited by EdwinLi.1284)

in Lore

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

There is a special place in hell trehearne…… right next to Togo

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in Lore

Posted by: Yngrael.5804

Yngrael.5804

tybalt was a likable character who made the story a combination of fun and funny. instead of the bland trahearne lectures after every fight.

tybalt had an interestign backstory from what happened to cause him to be abandoned by the legions and move to the OoW

tybalt made the player character see that the game could be fun, funny, and make you grow attached to a character…..
and then the character died fighting impossible odds to let the player character escape.

Yeah, except the same choice was also made by Sieran and Forgal and nowhere do I see those two getting as much praise as Tybalt. Personally I only ever felt attached to Forgal and the other two felt obnoxious and overdone to me.

while Trahearne is “i sat in orr” …….who cares? did you do anything but stare at stuff in orr?

trahearne has never done anything heroic. he hides behind you(tell you to take the lead, or do this, or do that. let the commander do it blah blah)
he’s a scholar……and yet we are forced to believe he can handle the logisitics of not 1, not 2, but 3 giant orders…….

If you ever actually paid attention to Trahearne, he’d tell you that he studied the creatures and environment in Orr and he feels like his task to cleanse Orr is too much for one being – so he does have a personality and it’s quite easy to feel some sympathy for him if you just listen to him.

Also, he does save the player Sylvari character in the personal story. It’s not like he never does anything at all, it’s just that most of the personal story doesn’t involve him and for most races he just randomly appears on Claw Island.

I think he would have been better received by the player base if everyone had been playing a Sylvari from the start.

in Lore

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

I think some of you are getting confused. You reference this "Claw Island place, when clearly you mean “Clawr Island”.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

in Lore

Posted by: Michael.8562

Michael.8562

I agree with the OP that the cutscenes can be a little disorienting with regard to characters I’ve already adventured with. I’m playing through again to see the restored content and it seems to work much better.

Personally, i don’t understand all the hate towards Trahearne…

1. Trahearne has A LOT of knowledge of elder dragons, their minions, and regions. he’s a scholar and dedicated quite alot of time into studying elder dragons and their minons.

2. He isn’t part of any order but every order looks up to him and relies on his information.

3. He has the personality of a leader. He is likeable, (by the npcs not the haters) stern, but also soft-spoken if needed. (don’t get me wrong his lines and voice acting are a bit bland and need improvement) …

As for Trahearne I agree with Spartan – and I even like his line delivery. It totally works for me. He’s a scholar of Orr, used to digging around in old libraries and leafing through moldy tomes to get information when he’s not investigating Orr directly – a pretty solitary pursuit. Then, on top, he’s a necromancer -

“Practitioners of the dark arts, necromancers summon the dead, wield the power of lost souls, and literally suck the life force from the enemy. Necromancers feed on life force, which they can use to bring allies back from the brink or cheat death itself.”

So, while dealing constantly with the dead doesn’t preclude being a great orator, I’m guessing that it doesn’t provide much opportunity for sparkling conversation either. I like Trahearne’s understated delivery, as if his mind is on other things but he’s trying. He’s someone that’s been placed in a difficult situation and is dealing as best he can. Maybe being the life of the party is expecting too much.

in Lore

Posted by: Ticky.5831

Ticky.5831

Wait, people liked Tybalt?

Weird.

And yeah, there’s nothing wrong with the dialog on the screenshot. That’s a formal introduction.

(edited by Ticky.5831)

in Lore

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

One reason would be that Tybalt sacrifices himself to save you and everyone else who flees on claw island. (i know most people don’t understand why that happens but i’ll save that for another day.)

Apologies for the bump – but that’s something that I really want to know: why anybody had to sacrifice themselves on Claw Island. Is there another post somewhere on this? The search thingy isn’t giving me anything. Must not be using the right filter.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The Lionguard were weak, crippled, and limping. There were many injured. There were already risen on the docks, but not many.

They could not reach the ships if a hoard of undead were right on them.

The mentors held them off to give that breathing room to the injured.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

This isn’t really the thread for this (apologies – please point me to the appropriate one, if there is another) but..

With all due respect, how did they hold them off? The number of risen pictured in that scene was far too large for any one person to ‘hold off’ by themselves, especially when they couldn’t do it with the help of the lionguard and the player. Seiran at least had some magic powers, but Tybalt only had a sword if I remember correctly. And Seiran gave what sounded like a death scream soon after the gate closed. I expect the risen would have washed over them in a second and been through the gate… if the gate wasn’t already capable of holding them back as it demonstrated.

The scene was a clearly manufactured tear-jerker. Sacrifice is all well and good, but as depicted it was an inefficient and futile sacrifice. It made some sense for Tybalt – I can see his pride leading him to do that. But Sieran? Fun-loving until that moment, then suddenly suicidal?

Yes, I get the trope. Going out in a blaze of glory. But it would have made more sense to have the mentor on the safer side of the gate, holding the gate in place and yelling at you to get out of there. Then, as the ship sails away, you see the mentor overcome. Same nobility and sacrifice, but more plausible.

Just my 2 cents. I’m just curious if there is another thread where this has been discussed to see what other explanations people have come up with. I liked Seiran and I was disappointed that a good character like that was thrown away carelessly while Treaherne was kept on.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Tybalt said he had a bomb to blow them up. Sadly, we saw no evidence of this bomb that would supposedly make a huge crater in the fort.

Forgal’s the one I don’t really get, being a warrior. Even as a norn.

But if you take note, they barred the giant kitten doors. It bars from the inside. And the docks are outside. They closed the gate, barred them, and held out just long enough.

And yes, it’s been discussed but the forum’s search engine is so crap that it’s not worth the effort to find it.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Thanks. Agreed. Not worth the effort.

in Lore

arenta.2953

Tybalt said he had a bomb to blow them up. Sadly, we saw no evidence of this bomb that would supposedly make a huge crater in the fort.

But if you take note, they barred the giant kitten doors. It bars from the inside. And the docks are outside. They closed the gate, barred them, and held out just long enough.

And yes, it’s been discussed but the forum’s search engine is so crap that it’s not worth the effort to find it.

i dont remember him sayign anything about a bomb o.0

i just remember his epic last words.

in Lore

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Traherne doesn’t event remember you know him if you already met him during the sylvari personal story.

he’s just all like “sup, I’m traherne, I study orr”

and you’re like “oh nice to meet you guy I already know but can’t remember me. Jerk.”

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

That’s not true. While the mentor does introduce him to all players regardless of race, sylvari get a special before-mentor-introduces cinematic where they greet each other showing they know each other.

Said special sylvari-only lines:

<Character name>: Trahearne! It’s been a long time. You study Orr — have there been any signs of an attack on it’s way?
Trahearne: Valiant! Yes, Claw Island is in great danger. Thank the Mother Tree that you’re here as well.

Trahearne himself never acknowledges the mentor’s introduction – whether you’re sylvari or not.
Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

So they fixed that? He definately didn’t acknowledge my sylvari. I remember it clearly as I was pretty bewildered by that fact.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

It’s always been like that AFAIK – my sylvari went through that about 3 months after release and had that line. It was very poorly done, being in two separate cinematics, but it was there.

I suppose there might have been a bug where it was missing though.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

Forgal is actually one of the easiest to get. I mean, he’s a norn for one detail. So many seem to underestimate, if not try to rob norn of the insane strength, durability, and other abilities they have.

I remember something about norn and charr finding Risen foes rather ‘squishy’. My headcanon however, is that what actually happened was a combo. All three mentors being there and fighting the Risen off.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

My headcanon however, is that what actually happened was a combo. All three mentors being there and fighting the Risen off.

So is mine, since other PS story lines are proven canon even if you weren’t there.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

Mordremoth’s #1 Commander. Meet Traeharne.