bluejay.6739

This should really be “stickied”

(and no, they aren’t mine)

Videos on Lore

in Lore

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

No they shouldn’t
A: though very comprehensive, there are some details wich are wrong or highly debateble.
B: This comes up every few weeks in this forum. most regular visitors know bout it.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Videos on Lore

in Lore

Posted by: bluejay.6739

bluejay.6739

“This comes up every few weeks in this forum. most regular visitors know bout it.”

Hmmm… so this topic keeps coming up again and again? Interesting…

If there was only some kind of concept, technique, or procedure that would allow one to take frequently occurring information in a forum, centralize it, and make it highly visible so that everyone could see it. That might prevent posts like this from reoccurring ‘every few weeks’.

Yeah, something like that would be amazing…

Videos on Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

Like the search function?
I think there are like one or two threads about WP already on the first page…

Videos on Lore

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Post it in the link section, if you need to post it, most people here know more than the basic ideas WP’s lore videos provide.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

Videos on Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Son of Elias.5420

Son of Elias.5420

If there was only some kind of concept, technique, or procedure that would allow one to take frequently occurring information in a forum, centralize it, and make it highly visible so that everyone could see it. That might prevent posts like this from reoccurring ‘every few weeks’.

The issue, as he already said, is that the videos are not entirely accurate. Sticky-ing it would be a sign of endorsement, which would lead to more confusion (“But the VIDEO says it’s this way!”).

“A man who trusts everyone is a fool.
And a man who trusts no one is a fool.
We are all fools, if we live long enough.”

Videos on Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

“This comes up every few weeks in this forum. most regular visitors know bout it.”

Hmmm… so this topic keeps coming up again and again? Interesting…

Yeah, something like that would be amazing…

One would think this, wouldn’t they? However, on Guru2, a link to WP’s youtube channel was put in a sticky. But yet video threads kept on coming and coming – half by the same person, who was already told “there’s a thread about this already” but continued to make a new thread for each video.

Then there’s the whole issue of how much of them is either speculation or just wrong facts.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Videos on Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Plunder.8195

Plunder.8195

I’ve seen you mention that WP put out some wrong facts. Could you maybe point out some of the most severe ones?

Some thought provoking quote

Videos on Lore

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Off the top of my head? Only a video where he said the skill challenge golem in Zone Green of Mount Maelstrom spouts binary that translates into “Pale Tree” (it is “end transmission sequence” iirc). I typically don’t care enough to remember what he gets wrong, though that one fueled a big series of fusses over “Pale Tree=Elder Dragon” based primarily on that “fact.”

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Videos on Lore

in Lore

Mystic Starfish.2586

It’s really the daily(ish) ones more than anything. The ‘Lore’ videos he does are mostly correct, since they are given a lot of time and attention, whereas his LP he basically says whatever’s on the top of his head, and fixes in editing

Videos on Lore

in Lore

Plunder.8195

Off the top of my head? Only a video where he said the skill challenge golem in Zone Green of Mount Maelstrom spouts binary that translates into “Pale Tree” (it is “end transmission sequence” iirc). I typically don’t care enough to remember what he gets wrong, though that one fueled a big series of fusses over “Pale Tree=Elder Dragon” based primarily on that “fact.”

I think he corrected himself some time later… (but I could be wrong about that).
Also I think the pale tree had close connections to the lettuce dragon, but not because of the binary. (And I think that the druids maybe take the place of the Forgotten in the ’conversion, but this is a bit off topic).

But please let me know some of the big mistakes he made, especially those in the lore series. (I think you shouldn’t put too much weight on what he talks during his rambling-video’s ;-) .)

Videos on Lore

in Lore

Mystic Starfish.2586

Imo, it’s more of a case of the boy who cried wolf. Sure he corrects himself later, but the fact that he has to correct himself all the time lessens his credibility. Yes, it’s kinda hypocritical since I tend to get a lot of my facts on the forums wrong too XD

Videos on Lore

in Lore

Plunder.8195

I dare to disagree, those that can actually admit that they have been wrong are for me the most credible. Those that never admit they are wrong are most likely to make stuff up just to cover their mistakes.

Videos on Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

That is really an excellant point, Plunder. /highfive.

Videos on Lore

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

He corrected himself on that, true, after I PM’d him about it. coughs

But point remains unchanged, really. People take his videos as bible for lore more often than not, and a lot of people already know about it. There’s no need to sticky it and overall he’s not a reliable source. Most of the hypotheses and theories he brings up aren’t even his, but those he’s seen on forums and he gives no indication that they’re not his.

However, this thread is entirely pointless overall and can and probably will lead to flames. So this is my last post here.

Dear ANet writers,

Videos on Lore

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Imo, it’s more of a case of the boy who cried wolf. Sure he corrects himself later, but the fact that he has to correct himself all the time lessens his credibility. Yes, it’s kinda hypocritical since I tend to get a lot of my facts on the forums wrong too XD

The difference is, you do it on a forum, people don’t read just your post, while never looking at the others at all and usually mistakes get corrected on the same page, but atleast in the same thread. Wp’s lore videos however do these mistakes, thousands of people see them and only them, because they never bother to take part in a lore discussion, except maybe to post more of WP’s videos, and of course they believe every single word he said, in the worst case they never see the video with the correction in it.
That’s how you spread misinformation. I’d rather see a video lore series by draxynnic and Konig, I think they take the lore seriously enough to avoid mistakes.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

Videos on Lore

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

TBH, I have thought about making a lore video series, but me doing such wouldn’t be in the form of WP’s dailies, rather I’d be sure to research what I’d discuss thoroughly even if I’m confident in my knowledge of the topic – and I’d link all the sources in the video’s description. (And should a mistake show, I’d just add a caption that youtube allows at the point where I make the mistake – so only those who aren’t watching wouldn’t see the correction).

But I decided not to – I doubt my voice would be liked as much as WP’s. :P

Dear ANet writers,

Videos on Lore

in Lore

Plunder.8195

you should make a lore video together then ;-)

Videos on Lore

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Humorously enough, I’ve already offered WP my aid in making them before. He turned me down because it’s meant to be a “casual means to introduce lore” (somehow, me fact checking him would remove this).

Dear ANet writers,