Well that's one way of putting it...

in Lore

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve been working on the collection for the mini Holographic Zinn, which involves buying all the books from Zinn’s Print-o-matic. Today I got ‘Prince Rurik: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow’ and I was highly amused by this line:

“Adelbern’s son and heir, Rurik, was well liked by the people, in part due to his eagerness to be at the forefront of the battle against the charr.”

I know there’s a tradition to never speak ill of the dead, but that’s quite a turn around from the fury many of his fellow soldiers (aka players) expressed at Rurik’s “tactics”.

(I was also amused by the asura expressing concern over the human custom of using unstable and potentially dangerous Globs of Ecotoplasm as a form of currency. In retrospect it wasn’t the most sensible choice, but that’s just what we did in those days.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Lore

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

When danger reared it’s ugly head,
Sir Ruruk turned his tail and fled.
Brave, brave, brave, brave sir Rurik!

in Lore

Posted by: Deleena.3406

Deleena.3406

That reminded me of that Rurik stage play in Nightfall! xD

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Sir Rurik the-not-quite-so-brave-as-Sir Kilroy, who nearly fought Vatlaaw Doomtooth, who nearly stood up to the prize winning hog and who had personally wet himself at the battle of Nolani Academy.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

People loved Captain Suicide-I mean, Prince Rurik. Players and NPCs alike.

But this line is actually a reference to the Prophecies’ background lore. Adelbern took a defensive stance against the continuous charr assaults – before and after the Searing – while after the Searing Rurik took a proactive offensive stance. Thanks to Rurik, directly and indirectly, Ascalonians were able to push back beyond enemy lines – such as Duke Barradin’s push to Piken Square, or the Surmia mission.

From the Prophecies manual:

Firstborn son of King Adelbern and heir to the throne of Ascalon, Prince Rurik is a brave, bold man who often takes action on the spur of the moment. He leads by example, never cowering or shirking a challenge. Some say he has no fear. Others claim his brash bravery is merely reckless. Regardless, the prince is liked by almost everyone in Ascalon, and he spends much of his time among the citizens, preferring the company of commoners to that of Ascalon’s rich upper crust.

That reminded me of that Rurik stage play in Nightfall! xD

For the uninitiated: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Norgu's_Nightfall

Norgu: "My fellows! I present for your consideration, a life’s work… my ultimate performance… “Norgu’s Nightfall!”
Narrator: “Elona. Land of the Golden Sun. A land of heroes. Our story begins in peril and danger. A dark god descends, bringing with him… the Nightfall.”
“Kormir”: “Oh no. Nightfall is at hand. Please, heroes of the world, help Elona in its time of need.”
“Kormir”: “We will help fight the Nightfall! But, first we must find a hero even more brave and heroic than we are!”
“Kormir”: “Where will we find such a hero?”
“Norgu”: “There is no need to search! A true hero knows where trouble reigns!”
“Norgu”: “I am Norgu! The hero you need to stop Abaddon and the Nightfall!”
“Hero”: “What should we do, Norgu?”
“Norgu”: “We must attack Varesh or she will end the world!”
Narrator: “Our brave heroes journey to Kourna. But their plans are foiled when Varesh summons demons that scatter their fellowship across Kourna….”
“Varesh”: “Ha ha ha. I will kill those Sunspears… as soon as I can find them.”
“Norgu”: “Luckily I have found this sanctuary for us! Varesh will never find us now!”
“Hero”: “Norgu, you are so brave.”
“Kormir”: “We should go north to Vabbi.”
Narrator: “But their way to Vabbi was blocked!”
“Kormir”: “Our way to Vabbi is blocked!”
“Norgu”: “Aha! My corsair friends shall help us through! They have a smuggler’s passage to the north… to my homeland of Vabbi… where I am a famous actor! We can seek the help of the three princes!”
Narrator: “But the princes ignore their council. Varesh sends her troops north under the guise of hunting Sunspears. But she is really preparing a dark ritual to consume the land. The brave, brave, brave…”
Norgu: "…Brave… that’s four “braves.” You aren’t reading it right."
Narrator: “Sigh. The brave, brave, brave… BRAAAAVE Norgu slays the evil demon and chases Varesh through the Desolation and into the mouth of torment.”
“Hero”: “Oh no. We are in the Realm of Torment, Abaddon’s dark realm of secrets and torment. Where do we go? What do we do?”
“Abaddon”: “Bwa ha ha ha! You cannot defeat me! I am an EVIL GOD!”
“Norgu”: “Stand strong, friends! We few, we happy few! We band of heroes! For he today who sheds his blood with me shall be forever remembered a hero on Nightfall Day!”
Narrator: “Norgu and his brave, brave, brave, brave band of heroes fight Abaddon.”
“Abaddon”: “AHHHHH! I am forslain!”
Narrator: “Yet, after every Nightfall comes the dawn of a new day.”
Narrator: “In Elona, land of the Golden Sun.”
Norgu: “Let us dance!”

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Nero.8047

Nero.8047

Konig I believe Deleena referenced to the following dialogue:

Stefan the Sonorous: “Our story begins in the far-off land of Tyria in the grand city of Ascalon many years ago. We find our hero desperately scouring the countryside in search of a gift to give his beautiful fiance….”
Stefan the Sonorous: “But all was not well in the land of Ascalon. Evil had turned its eye to Tyria and sought to sow dissent. A sequence of events was set in motion that would lead to the fall of this great metropolis.”
Stefan the Sonorous: “Events most dire had struck Ascalon and left it reeling. But the prince knew what he must do and was not afraid.”
Vaughn the Venerable: “Let’s cross the mountains and go to Kryta! They don’t have Charr there!”
Freya the Firm: “Like, roarrrrrr!”
Vaughn the Vernerable: “Have at ye, scoundrel!”
Freya the Firm: ""Like, ouch."
Vaughn the Vernerable: “Quickly, my fellow Ascalons! [sic] We must depart while we still have our legs!”
Merkle the Muscular: “My son. Merkle displeased. You no longer prince of Ascalon. You no longer Merkle son!”
Vaughn the Venerable: “As a boy I spent much time in these lands. Look at them now. Just look at them!”
Prince Bokka the Magnificent: “How predictable.”
Stefan the Sonorous: “So, striking off in search of his destiny and a new home for his people, the prince traveled across the Shiverpeak mountains [sic] and headed toward Kryta. The journey was difficult, long, and somewhat boring, but they persevered. Until…”
Ernald the Exact: “The stone summit [sic] will not yield the Frost Gate quietly.”
Ernald the Exact: “Your punishment for trespassing is death! Death I say!”
Vaughn the Venerable: “Um…line?”
Stefan the Sonorous: “It’s ‘You cannot save me.’”
Stefan the Sonorous: “And so, the prince valiantly laid down his life for his people….”
Vaughn the Venerable: “I don’t remember that being in my copy of the script…. Stop improvising, you troll!”
Prince Bokka the Magnificent: “This play is utter tripe!”
Vaughn the Venerable: “Ernald! Time for plan B!”
Merkle the Muscular: “Merkle like plan B. Merkle like smash! SMASH!”
Stefan the Sonorous: “And then the valiant Kournans smote the Istani interlopers with a righteous fury!”
Prince Bokka the Magnificent: “Wait, what?”
Ernald the Exact: “This is my favorite part.”
Prince Bokka the Magnificent: “Oh dear!”
Prince Bokka the Magnificent: “Oh my, this is not good…not good at all! Varesh must have changed her mind! I must hurry to safety in Ahdashim!”
Prince Bokka the Magnificent: “I am quite sorry about this! I must leave right away! Please speak with Royal Finance Minister Oluda for a refund.”

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/All's_Well_That_Ends_Well#Intermediate_dialogue

Paragon of the Seraphim Order [Ankh]
a small, casual Guild with a play as you want style.

in Lore

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I think Norgu is a contender for a Revenant legend. Without his heroics, we could never have won against Abaddon….

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig I believe Deleena referenced to the following dialogue:

You’re enitrely right though both are hilarious. I misread Deleena as saying the stage play Nightfall :P

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Surely, the greatest of all is the story of how Norgu defeated a disgruntled piemaster with his minty fresh breath!

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I know there’s a tradition to never speak ill of the dead, but that’s quite a turn around from the fury many of his fellow soldiers (aka players) expressed at Rurik’s “tactics”.

kitten stiffed me on that dwarven ale , too.