What happened to in game books?

in Lore

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

Just watched a WoodenPotatoes video about some of the things that existed in older versions of the game and to me the idea of in game books is a really good idea. I know there are still a handful of readable books in game but I get the impression it could have been much more previously.

Was it a fear of being too expository or locking lore down where you could not go back and change it to fit new ideas?

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

in Lore

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Just watched a WoodenPotatoes video about some of the things that existed in older versions of the game and to me the idea of in game books is a really good idea. I know there are still a handful of readable books in game but I get the impression it could have been much more previously.

Was it a fear of being too expository or locking lore down where you could not go back and change it to fit new ideas?

Supposedly it was an idea they had no time to really expand on further so they cut it out after they realized they couldn’t “complete” it in time for release.

Whether or not they’re being sincere on that reasoning is up to the individual to decide. I’ll note it’s not the only thing in the Beta builds which disappeared.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Lore

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Supposedly it was an idea they had no time to really expand on further so they cut it out after they realized they couldn’t “complete” it in time for release.

Whether or not they’re being sincere on that reasoning is up to the individual to decide. I’ll note it’s not the only thing in the Beta builds which disappeared.

I can accept that it was scrapped because it wasn’t finished. What I don’t understand, however, is why it wasn’t implemented sometime after release, since it was already developed as far as it was. The same goes for the lore tidbits on the loading screens.

Even though it would be a bit late if they implemented them now, I would probably enjoy these sort of features much more than anything they have currently announced for feature pack 2.

in Lore

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

I’d have loved to see this come to fruition at some point. If they don’t bring it back through lore books, the alternative would be to make a Beastiary out of it. Flavor text towards a certain creature or boss you have recently slain.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

in Lore

Posted by: Rukh.9287

Rukh.9287

Yeah I don’t quite understand the “Welp, it wasn’t completely done, scrap the whole thign!” idea. Seems like you would, you know, then finish it.

in Lore

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Yeah I don’t quite understand the “Welp, it wasn’t completely done, scrap the whole thign!” idea. Seems like you would, you know, then finish it.

Given the state of the game when they hit the release mark . . . yeah, I’d rather they did indeed file it away under “stuff to finish later” than try to rush it. (Consider the personality system which was left in . . .)

And given what we’re discussing, I completely get why it got “lost” and hasn’t come back.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Lore

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I miss skill rings. I often wonder what GW1, and by extension GW2 would have been like if skills dropped as items and were tradable like they were in the old GW1 beta.

I also miss the idea of in-combat skill captures that were hard to pull off and wish that they had fixed that system and made it more uniform across all skill types rather than replacing it with captures from dead bosses. Also, I wish skill captures was still a thing in GW2.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Lore

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

Still would be cool to se.

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Saw it as well (link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Wn4wAOZmQ). Yeah would love to see more lore related features in game. Something like this has a lot of potential.