What happens if the Pale Tree dies?

in Lore

Posted by: Bunnytown.7801

Bunnytown.7801

Not expecting a real answer here, since I assume some of these questions will be answered in game. Just want to read what some of you lore hounds think.

In living story season 2 the avatar of the Pale Tree tells the player that she is dying.

If the Pale Tree’s avatar dies is this also the death of the Pale Tree itself? And if the Pale Tree dies, does this mean the dream dies, which in turn means no more Sylvari will be awakened into Tyria?
Or, since Sylvari were intended to be dragon minions, will all Sylvari awakened afterwards be Mordremoth's minions? Lastly, what do you think the plan will be for saving the Pale Tree? I assume it has something to do with Glint's egg. I also, don't remember if there was a already a plan, since I played this a long while ago.

in Lore

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

The Pale Tree is the one who provides resistance from Mordremoth’s corruption to those who are still connected to her via The Dream, so if she dies, it will be much harder for Sylvari to resist that corruption. and yes, no more Sylvari will awaken if she dies, unless this magical second tree hiding somewhere to the east is actually a thing.

Her Avatar is simply a representation of her, so people can interact with her more easily. If the tree itself is damaged, then this is reflected on the avatar, but not the other way around, since its essentially just a puppet.

in Lore

Bunnytown.7801

Ok, so if a dead pale tree = no future Sylvari, what was Mordremoth’s intention in sending his champion to the Grove? He did grave damage to the Pale Tree, and it seems like she will die without the player saving her in some way. Did Mordremoth intend to destroy the Pale Tree? This doesn’t really make sense since Mordremoth would be cutting off future minions. Unless, like you speculated, there is another tree in Magumma which he can rely on…

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

The Pale Tree says she’s fading, not dying. (I don’t think a spoiler for S2 is needed since that was released over a year ago now). Which basically means she’s going lights out (which literally happens too).

The Dream does not come from the Pale Tree. She’s merely a caretaker. So it would remain. However, it’s the Pale Tree that bridges the connection between Pale Tree and sylvari – so without the Pale Tree her sylvari have no dream connection, and that connection is also the protection against elder dragon corruption (some argue just Mordy, but wording implies to me all elder dragon corruption and Mordy’s just the only one who can bypass it because sylvari come from Mordy).

I don’t think the egg has anything to do with “saving the Pale Tree”. The goal for the egg seems to be far bigger picture than that with what we learned from Hidden Arcana – that is, to replace an Elder Dragon in the long term.

Argon’s incorrect that “no Pale Tree = no more sylvari”. Keep in mind we have multiple trees – both multiple trees that are purified – or at least one more. Malyck’s Tree is still out there, and as such that one would produce sylvari. However, Malyck had no Dream, so it’s unclear if any other tree or their sylvari will be safe from dragon corruption (or re-corruption, as the case would be).

As to Mordremoth’s intention in attacking the Grove. Yes, he wanted to kill her – no different than Kralkatorrik and Glint – but also use that attack to get through the defenses of the sylvari to take over them. Furthermore, there are corrupted trees elsewhere called Blighting Trees. We see one in Verdant Brink, and they’re the source of the additional Mordrem Guard so he’s not cutting off future minions. He’s cutting off future rebelled minions. And lore indicates that there’s three Blighting Trees out there (it was stated that there are three Mordrem Guard commanders and one of them seems to be based on that first Blighting Tree in Verdant Brink – so by reason, it’d be one commander per tree thus three trees for three commanders).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Bunnytown.7801

I don’t think the egg has anything to do with “saving the Pale Tree”. The goal for the egg seems to be far bigger picture than that with what we learned from Hidden Arcana – that is, to replace an Elder Dragon in the long term.

I was wondering when you would show up, Konig. Looks like I correctly performed the Dark Brotherhood ritual this time.

It seems obvious that there is a bigger picture for Glint’s Egg, after all not everything should revolve around the Sylvari from a story telling/game perspective. Perhaps the egg doesn’t have anything to do with restoring (is that a better way to put it?) the Pale Tree, as you say. However, do you believe that the egg has nothing to do with the Pale Tree, besides her helping all of Tyria? I feel as though she would have some long term, less altruistic, plan concerning her “children” the Sylvari and the egg.

in Lore

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

Nothing will happen at first. She maintains the dream she does not give sylvari access to it other than as an effect of being her children.

But when she dies so dies the balance against mordremoth and nightmare.

I suspect at that point most sylvari will become soundless to protect themselves.

“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

in Lore

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

The sylvari will become soundless to protect themselves from …losing their connection to the Dream and the shielding it gives from Mordremoth? As far as we know, even the Nightmare keeps mordry away.

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Meatober fest will have some extra wood.

in Lore

Posted by: Daralii.8940

Daralii.8940

The sylvari will become soundless to protect themselves from …losing their connection to the Dream and the shielding it gives from Mordremoth? As far as we know, even the Nightmare keeps mordry away.

The Nightmare is merely a corruption of the Dream. If the Tree dies and the Dream goes away, the Nightmare would as well.

The Soundless should be very vulnerable to Mordremoth as they don’t have the mental shielding provided by the Dream.

in Lore

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

No the point is that the pale tree is a major force for stopping nightmare from spreading in the dream as well as stopping mordremoth from invading the dream.

If she isn’t alive they have no defenses on the other side. Becoming soundless would be a logical defense against a slew of negative stuff that suddenly is being sent to them.

“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

in Lore

Posted by: Urosh Uchiha.9732

Urosh Uchiha.9732

would be cutting off future minions.

Isn’t his thing to clone the already existing minions? Why does he need Blighting Trees if he can just for example clone one sylvari over and over?

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Maybe if the avatar dies it’s only her soul / mind / personality that dies. The tree itself might still continue existing and producing Sylvari, simply that it will be as mindless as any other plant.