What happens to dragons when they die?

in Lore

Posted by: Teletric.3821

Teletric.3821

Q:

What exactly happens when Elder Dragons die? Do they go to the mists like everything else or do they just cease to exist after their deaths? I would really like to know.

in Lore

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

Sounds like a good fractal storyline. Investigate if Mordy and Z are around somewhere in the mists or not.

in Lore

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I can’t say any way or another with facts, but I doubt the dragons get an afterlife.
They may (or rather, they will) be remembered by the mists, just like Glint was. I personally feel like their ego/soul is made up of the very same magic, so when they die, they dissipate into the world (but that’s just my opinion).

It would be nice to have a fractal or a raid from a different timeline where Zhaitan won, and the entire world is dark undead realm.

in Lore

Posted by: Acnologia.6934

Acnologia.6934

another question is… what would happen to the world if all dragons die? i still think all dragons are part of a greater plan, a grater “structure”, like a sigil to keep most of the magic away from the physical world. like if ALL magic come to the “real” world, it can’t keep up starting to lose its “logic”…. i don’t know how to explain… english not my language XD in short if all the magic flow into the world, the world itself become part of the mists, like our in-game fractals, where logic is cast aside and time and space don’t follow any rational thought (anomalies).
AND that’s why we have Aurene! Our “last” dragon, our last “good sigil” who will take the place and the magic of the other dragons when we kill them……
HEAR ME!!! THE END IS NEAR!!! PRAY THE GODS HERETICS!!!

in Lore

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

another question is… what would happen to the world if all dragons die? i still think all dragons are part of a greater plan, a grater “structure”, like a sigil to keep most of the magic away from the physical world. like if ALL magic come to the “real” world, it can’t keep up starting to lose its “logic”…. i don’t know how to explain… english not my language XD in short if all the magic flow into the world, the world itself become part of the mists, like our in-game fractals, where logic is cast aside and time and space don’t follow any rational thought (anomalies).
AND that’s why we have Aurene! Our “last” dragon, our last “good sigil” who will take the place and the magic of the other dragons when we kill them……

This is exactly what the game has been hinting at. Maybe just killing the dragon’s isn’t the best idea. We can’t just leave them alone to wreck everything, but killing them makes things worse. Both Taimi’s research and the role of Aurene will factor into this exact question by the way things are currently going.

in Lore

Posted by: Acnologia.6934

Acnologia.6934

This is exactly what the game has been hinting at. Maybe just killing the dragon’s isn’t the best idea. We can’t just leave them alone to wreck everything, but killing them makes things worse. Both Taimi’s research and the role of Aurene will factor into this exact question by the way things are currently going.

Right? i’m not crazy, am i?am i??? killing a dragon just give to the others its facet, its magic! when we kill mordremoth we clearly see 4 lines (as the 4 dragons left) that i presume are mordremoth accumulated magic, spreading across the world. 1 of those was absorbed by Aurene (giving her enough power to birth i’m sure).
as for the OP question… who knows? mists and “real” world are connected. their inhabitants can pass trough them as they please (halloween, flashreaver,imps,behemoth,etcetc….) ghosts are a proof of this. Elder Dragons are powerful beings that can challenge the gods themselves (i think?!). if when they die their “spirit” goes to the mists, they could probably just come back after some time…. but why then Glint is not back? probably when Aurene will finally able to speak we’ll learn more about Glint’s fate and dragons afterlife

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

The four lines were just ley lines that he was situated on. They were not going to where the dragons are, given that at the time three of them were in the same 90 degree quarter, nor related to the remaining Elder Dragons.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Sock.2785

Sock.2785

The most sensible reply would be that we don’t know and cannot answer this for now, but that’s no fun–from the few informations we have I think we can try and make a guess.

Given the mere fact that the Elder Dragons can even die in the first place, that they can be devoided of the energies they accumulated, I assume they’re fundamentally not different from any other tyrian being, ergo they must have a soul.

Now, unless unexpected forces come into play, the souls of the departed will automatically “travel” to the spirit world; it follows that beings don’t really die this way, as their soul, their mind, will persist on another plane of existence. We know however that souls are made up of energy, and it appears that said energy can be drained and/or consumed–would this happen to anyone, their will, their “personal essence”, will cease to exist for good (as far as we know).

So, what’s the case with the Elder Dragons? Personally, I think that both their physical body and their soul get destroyed simultaneously–it’s as if, upon the destruction of the body, the amounts of magical energies at play are so enormous and uncontrollable that the soul gets torn apart. In other words, it appears that a physical body plays a fundamental role in being able to maintain extremely high concentrations of magical energies.

This would be similar, in a way, to what happened with Abaddon, when he was destroyed within the Realm of Torment, and, as we know, he was trying to “rebuild” a body for himself.

My research has found a thread between magic and the mind. The two are linked.
— Snaff

in Lore

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

I don’t think the Elder Dragons die at all since they are on a cycle of rising again and again after many thousands of years. Dying would mean that they are permanently dead and would never rise again. I think whenever anyone says that an Elder Dragon is dead, what they really mean is that they’ve gone back to whatever state they were in prior to waking up.

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

I don’t think the Elder Dragons die at all since they are on a cycle of rising again and again after many thousands of years. Dying would mean that they are permanently dead and would never rise again. I think whenever anyone says that an Elder Dragon is dead, what they really mean is that they’ve gone back to whatever state they were in prior to waking up.

True and False
The Elder Dragon, at least is the theory being raised now, must exist. I plot similarly seen in Pirates of the Carribean “The Ship Must Have A Captain”.
As it stands, the popular theory is that the elder dragons play a vital role in the engine of the Eternal Alchemy, and that by killing the ED the engine stops spurring. That doesn’t mean it’s destroyed. The magic dissipates and does other stuff elsewhere. So it’s my belief that the ego Zhaitan and Mordremoth are dead, but the conceptual Elder Dragon still exists, and will rise again in one form or another, because the world demands it to exist.

I mean, that’s my theory, it’s not a fact. But I do strongly belief that the ego of Zhaitan and Mordremoth is truly dead.

in Lore

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

True and False
The Elder Dragon, at least is the theory being raised now, must exist. I plot similarly seen in Pirates of the Carribean “The Ship Must Have A Captain”.
As it stands, the popular theory is that the elder dragons play a vital role in the engine of the Eternal Alchemy, and that by killing the ED the engine stops spurring. That doesn’t mean it’s destroyed. The magic dissipates and does other stuff elsewhere. So it’s my belief that the ego Zhaitan and Mordremoth are dead, but the conceptual Elder Dragon still exists, and will rise again in one form or another, because the world demands it to exist.

I mean, that’s my theory, it’s not a fact. But I do strongly belief that the ego of Zhaitan and Mordremoth is truly dead.

Does that mean the next time Zhaitan or Mordremoth rise, will they remember their previous rising? Will they even have the same domains of magic? Or are you saying that the Elder Dragon will now contain a new ego or identity and may possibly be masters of other domains of magic with no recollection of their last rising.

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

True and False

Does that mean the next time Zhaitan or Mordremoth rise, will they remember their previous rising? Will they even have the same domains of magic? Or are you saying that the Elder Dragon will now contain a new ego or identity and may possibly be masters of other domains of magic with no recollection of their last rising.

no, as I said, the ego is dead. The ego will not come back. A new entity may (or in my theory, must) rise to become the NEW elder dragon. They will have the same domains, although the domains are slowly being corrupted by one another now. But I think equilibrium will restore the domains over time. But whoever, or whatever takes up these roles with be a completely seperate entity from Zhaitan and Mordremoth

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

True and False

no, as I said, the ego is dead. The ego will not come back. A new entity may (or in my theory, must) rise to become the NEW elder dragon. They will have the same domains, although the domains are slowly being corrupted by one another now. But I think equilibrium will restore the domains over time. But whoever, or whatever takes up these roles with be a completely seperate entity from Zhaitan and Mordremoth

Such as hopefully benevolent entities like maybe the Pale Tree or Aurene.

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

True and False

Such as hopefully benevolent entities like maybe the Pale Tree or Aurene.

that’s part of my theory, yes
and maybe benevolent Joko as well (just kidding, sheesh)